2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, this will be the first big game weā€™ve won in some time if we do lol this staff has probably completely forgot what that feels like. As a fan, I have šŸ¤£

This staff has lost just about every big game it has played. Not just against really good teams, but teams who would've been considered about even with us. I think about all some the key district and playoff losses to teams like John Tyler(lost twice in district and once in playoffs), Forney, and McKinney North. Winnable games that we came up short in. I could name several others.

Westfield and A&M Consolidated have been the biggest wins for the program in the last 10 years...

This group is our last hope of accomplishing anything of any significance.Ā 

11 hours ago, timeout! said:

This group is our last hope of accomplishing anything of any significance.Ā 

Not sure what the future holds, I surmise we are more at the end of this era than the beginning of anything after this year.Ā  I want to post this so we can all remember where we came from, who we once were as a program, why we miss those times and why many of us would like to be a contender again.Ā  John Outlaw was here 17 years (1995-2011), Todd Quick took over in 2012,Ā  is in his 13th year.Ā  His success unfortunately has not mirrored Outlaw's success, not because he didn't want it too..Ā  Watch and remember, much has changed even since this film was released in 2015.Ā  I couldn't help but shed a tear just remembering, just like yesterday to me.

https://www.coachoutlaw.com/the-film

Ā 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Not sure what the future holds, I surmise we are more at the end of this era than the beginning of anything after this year.Ā  I want to post this so we can all remember where we came from, who we once were as a program, why we miss those times and why many of us to be a contender again.Ā  John Outlaw was here 17 years (1995-2011), Todd Quick took over in 2012,Ā  is in his 13th year.Ā  His success unfortunately has not mirrored Outlaw's success, not because he didn't want it too..Ā  Watch and remember, much has changed even since this film was released in 2015.Ā  I couldn't help but shed a tear just remembering, just like yesterday to me.

https://www.coachoutlaw.com/the-film

Ā 

ā€œNothing good lasts foreverā€Ā 

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

ā€œNothing good lasts foreverā€Ā 

True.Ā  In those 2011 andĀ  2012 games we see KeKe Coutee and JaBryce Taylor playing. One thing you notice, the crowds were bigger and the band was bigger.Ā  Good memories, Good times.Ā  It clears my minds perspective for me to watch this film.

DCTF WEEK #5 Game Computer Projections for 9-5A DI:Ā  District play begins.

Barbers Hill (3-1) at Lufkin (3-1)Ā  Ā  Lufkin +5

Galveston Ball (4-0) at Baytown Sterling (3-1)Ā  Ā Ball +26

Beaumont United (2-2) at Port Arthur Memorial (3-1)Ā  Ā PAMĀ  +40

Beaumont Westbrook is off this week.

Ā 

Ā 

When reading about the game Friday night in the Baytown Sun or with other folks covering Barbers Hill football , the one thing you quickly notice is how little they know about Lufkin. The sports reporter for the paper mentions the key to stopping the Panthers is stopping QB Quincy Coutee's running and passing the ball.Ā  No knowledge that Coutee has been a WR standing in for the starter Johnson. They also mention BH having the best performing defense in the district, based on them giving up the least yards of all district teams in non district, which may be true based on statistics, 185.0 yards per game.

Our media may be the same about them, except I've watched everything out there about BH. I know them losing their starting WR and RB makes a difference with them.Ā  If those two were playing I think they could have been picked compete for the district title. We are down one starting WR for now, so it's almost equal because the two sophomore playing for BH have put up huge numbers.Ā  I'm already thinking about having to go down there next season.Ā 

17 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

PA Barbers Hill is a good football team not taking nothing for granite but Lufkin has played better competition the last four years they are not a Longview or a Lancaster and put Forney in the mix we can dominate if they play Lufkin FootballĀ 

This is what I'm thinking. They're a good team but if we come to play I think we can kinda put it on them. It's not going to be easy but we're more than capable.

3 hours ago, pimpthepen said:

PA Barbers Hill is a good football team not taking nothing for granite but Lufkin has played better competition the last four years they are not a Longview or a Lancaster and put Forney in the mix we can dominate if they play Lufkin FootballĀ 

Yes, I know they are good. Watched enough video to see Lufkin better be ready to play 4 quarters, cause these guys don't quitĀ 

5 hours ago, PackAttack said:

When reading about the game Friday night in the Baytown Sun or with other folks covering Barbers Hill football , the one thing you quickly notice is how little they know about Lufkin. The sports reporter for the paper mentions the key to stopping the Panthers is stopping QB Quincy Coutee's running and passing the ball.Ā  No knowledge that Coutee has been a WR standing in for the starter Johnson. They also mention BH having the best performing defense in the district, based on them giving up the least yards of all district teams in non district, which may be true based on statistics, 185.0 yards per game.

Our media may be the same about them, except I've watched everything out there about BH. I know them losing their starting WR and RB makes a difference with them.Ā  If those two were playing I think they could have been picked compete for the district title. We are down one starting WR for now, so it's almost equal because the two sophomore playing for BH have put up huge numbers.Ā  I'm already thinking about having to go down there next season.Ā 

The only defensive statistic that matters is ppg. Lufkin is giving up 11.5 ppg while Barbers Hill is giving up 19 ppg. Matter in fact they gave up more points against Deer Park than we all season. I'd have to check but I imagine we lead district in that category. I think they have a good underrated defense but I don't think it's near the level our guys are at.

1 minute ago, PurpleNation said:

This was an interesting game for the 1st half. Sterling had chances to make it a game.Ā 

To me Ball is doing what you do to bad teams, Sterling has not played anyone good at all, and neither has Ball, except Ball is better than Sterling.Ā  Sterling has no run game, they throw the ball 80% of the time.Ā  Ball stopped their passing game.Ā  Ā The big game next week between Ball and PAM should be a good one.

Lufkin must get by Barbers Hill first, Lufkin is going to have to play their best game of the year to win.

10 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

The only defensive statistic that matters is ppg. Lufkin is giving up 11.5 ppg while Barbers Hill is giving up 19 ppg. Matter in fact they gave up more points against Deer Park than we all season. I'd have to check but I imagine we lead district in that category. I think they have a good underrated defense but I don't think it's near the level our guys are at.

That BH offense is going to test the Lufkin D.Ā  They are the best O we have played this year, that includes Longview. This game is going to be a fight to the finish IMO.Ā  Ā BH reminds me a lot of those good College Station teams we played.Ā 

27 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Ball is giving up 10.0 PPG through 5 games.

5 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Ball is giving up 10.0 PPG through 5 games.

By the numbers

Ball 42.6 ppg 10 dppg (+32.6)

Lufkin 38.7 ppg 11.5 dppg (+27.2)

Barbers Hill 43 ppg 19 dppg (+24)

PAM 43.5 ppg 24.2 dppg (+19.3)

Sterling 30 ppg 19.6 dppg (+10.4)

Westbrook 21 ppg 19.2 dppg (+1.8)

United 13.5 ppg 30.2 dppg (-16.7)

Ā 

Ball also has the best total point differential followed by Lufkin but also hidden in the numbers is the level of competition. Lufkin and PAM probably had the toughest games with Longview and Hightower. However Barbers Hill would probably get my #3 toughest game against Deer Park. We will get more answers tomorrow night.

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Man, next year looks like a big drop off.

Let's not think about that lol. JV is a hard indicator because your best 10th graders are on varsity but 35-0 is not a good sign at all. I think they will be ok because they will return a few pieces from the 26 class that are contributing now. I would be concerned for the year after next. That's when I think you will see a decline. The current 8th graders look to be pretty solid. They will be the next class to watch but will be to young to really help those current JV kids in 2 years. If we stay south I still like our chances at the post season even with a decline.Ā 

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Let's not think about that lol. JV is a hard indicator because your best 10th graders are on varsity but 35-0 is not a good sign at all. I think they will be ok because they will return a few pieces from the 26 class that are contributing now. I would be concerned for the year after next. That's when I think you will see a decline. The current 8th graders look to be pretty solid. They will be the next class to watch but will be to young to really help those current JV kids in 2 years. If we stay south I still like our chances at the post season even with a decline.Ā 

Well, by that time it probably will not make much difference to me. I've got this year and maybe next to follow these guys as I have in the past. After that, who knows?

Then again hope we have someone here by then who is willing to build the program stronger from MS through Varsity like Longview and College Station do their programs for better winning consistency.

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Well, by that time it probably will not make much difference to me. I've got this year and maybe next to follow these guys as I have in the past. After that, who knows?

Then again hope we have someone here by then who is willing to build the program stronger from MS through Varsity like Longview and College Station do their programs for better winning consistency.

It starts with the parents in youth football. Lufkin has to do a better job getting kids prepared for the future. The current state of youth sports in Lufkin is not good. Between piney woods and LYFL the competition is absolutely pathetic. We have to get our kids exposed to a higher level at a younger age but we don't have a travel team any more.Ā 

Ā 

Until the parents are willing to travel and spend money this will continue to be a problem. It's no coincidence this group is better than years past. They were exposed to a higher level coming up.Ā