2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Lets compare same opponent computer rankings for (4-0) Galveston Ball. 

#114 - 6A Manvel (1-3)  W  54-26

#29 - 5A DII Texas City (2-2)  W  27-0  (Compare 5A DII Marshall (3-1) Ranked #26, Whitehouse (2-2) #28)

#47 - 5A Di Friendswood (1-2)  W 33-7

#233 -  6A  Houston Westside (0-4)  W 54-17

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PAM (4-0) opponent rankings:

#127 - 6A Spring DeKaney (1-3)  W 30-17

Houston Legacy School of Sports Science (2-3)  W 41-34  (Christian Home School)

#23 -6A Fort Bend Hightower (4-0)  L  40-37

#98 - 5A DI  Cleburne (0-4)  W  63-7

The game this week will test Lufkin's front seven against a really big Barbers Hill offensive line and the ability to control their run and #2 WR/RB/ Kaegan Morton, a track speedster that BH moves all over the field in formations. Two very good RBs for BH. 

They use Morton like Lufkin uses Kevo Taylor, with about the same speed. I've watched everything they have done this year, a well coached group.  Lufkin has the advantage defensively and on special teams if they play up to their capabilities. As far as offense both teams do a lot of the same things, the BH OL against the Lufkin D will be power on power. The Lufkin OL need to control their LOS

BH QB throws a good ball short, medium or long, you can't let him stand there and look around. These guys will be the best we have played this year IMO, yes better than Longview. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

The game this week will test Lufkin's front seven against a really big Barbers Hill offensive line and the ability to control their run and #2 WR/RB/ Kaegan Morton, a track speedster that BH moves all over the field in formations. Two very good RBs for BH. 

They use Morton like Lufkin uses Kevo Taylor, with about the same speed. I've watched everything they have done this year, a well coached group.  Lufkin has the advantage defensively and on special teams if they play up to their capabilities. As far as offense both teams do a lot of the same things, the BH OL against the Lufkin D will be power on power. The Lufkin OL need to control their LOS

BH QB throws a good ball short, medium or long, you can't let him stand there and look around. These guys will be the best we have played this year IMO, yes better than Longview. 

Where have you read anything barbers hill fans are saying? Is there another forum? 

15 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Where have you read anything barbers hill fans are saying? Is there another forum? 

Not sure many BH fans are responding, there are a couple here maybe.

https://www.setxsports.com/ip/topic/261953-barbers-hill-at-lufkin/

Lufkin will need to find a way to stop SOPH #2 Keagan Morton.  No one has stopped him all year. QB Cantu is very accurate too, no messing around with this team.

These guys are very confident in what they do. In all reality they out played Deer Park and should have won that road game.

50 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin will need to find a way to stop SOPH #2 Keagan Morton.  No one has stopped him all year. QB Cantu is very accurate too, no messing around with this team.

These guys are very confident in what they do. In all reality they out played Deer Park and should have won that road game.

Pack by 21 

DCTF Matt Stepp picks Lufkin by +3 points.

DCTF computer picks Lufkin by +8 points.

Both are within the margin of error. I am totally surprised that Lufkin is favored by that slim margin at home. Partly maybe the unknowns about our QB situation, probably mostly about missing the playoffs the past three years. DCTF still has too many questions about Lufkin.

I know DCTF Matt Stepp speaks well of Coach Carl Abseck at Barbers Hill. He won a State Title at Cedar Park back in 2015 and has done a great job of building this Barbers Hill football program back. They are a growing school of 1972 students. 

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF Matt Stepp picks Lufkin by +3 points.

DCTF computer picks Lufkin by +8 points.

Both are within the margin of error. I am totally surprise that Lufkin is favored by that slim margin at home.

I know DCTF Matt Stepp thinks a lot of Coach Carl Abseck at Barbers Hill. He won a State Title at Cedar Park back in 2015 and has done a great job of building this Barbers Hill football  program back. They are a growing school of 1972 students. 

Since their resurgence the last few years, I thought they was a newer school lol I had never heard of them. Ever. First time I heard of them was the 2021 baseball playoffs. They won state that year I believe. I guess the football program was bad for 40 years? 

13 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Pack by 21 

Man, I hope you are correct. You know I don't make prediction any more, except to say for this game, Lufkin had sure better protect home field in this one. 

4 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Since their resurgence the last few years, I thought they was a newer school lol I had never heard of them. Ever. First time I heard of them was the 2021 baseball playoffs. They won state that year I believe. I guess the football program was bad for 40 years? 

Not really, they have come out of the 3A ranks the past 25 years to 5A DI. The area is growing and it is conceivable they could be 6A in 3 or 4 years unless they build another HS. 

District Champs: 1999 - 2000 Undefeated (24-3A), 2000 - 2001 Undefeated (22-3A), 2001 - 2002 Undefeated (22-3A), 2002 - 2003 Undefeated (22-3A), 2003 - 2004 (22-3A), 2005 - 2006 (22-3A), 2006 - 2007 (22-3A), 2007 - 2008 Undefeated (21-4A), 2011 - 2012 (19-4A), 2019 - 2020 (21-5A) Undefeated

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Not really, they have come out of the 3A ranks the past 25 years to 5A DI. The area is growing and it is conceivable they could be 6A in 3 or 4 years unless they build another HS. 

District Champs: 1999 - 2000 Undefeated (24-3A), 2000 - 2001 Undefeated (22-3A), 2001 - 2002 Undefeated (22-3A), 2002 - 2003 Undefeated (22-3A), 2003 - 2004 (22-3A), 2005 - 2006 (22-3A), 2006 - 2007 (22-3A), 2007 - 2008 Undefeated (21-4A), 2011 - 2012 (19-4A), 2019 - 2020 (21-5A) Undefeated

Idk why I never heard of them. I guess because of being a smaller classification. Not that I’m a high school football guru or anything but I’m not a dummy to it lol 

You know,  Barbers Hill lost their starting WR and RB their opening game with New Caney, they have inserted two sophomores in those positions and they have not missed a beat, now that's good coaching.  Our coaching has never seemed to adjust well to one key loss much less two on offense. 

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You know,  Barbers Hill lost their starting WR and RB their opening game with New Caney, they have inserted two sophomore in those positions and they have not missed a beat, now that's good coaching.  Our coaching has never seemed to adjust well to one key loss much less two on offense. 

Facts. That’s the development part. We never seem to have another ready. Just like this year. We moved a receiver to QB lol 

Standings District 9-5A DI Overall
  W-L PCT PF PA W-L-T PCT PF PA  
Ball 0-0 0.000 0 0 4-0-0 1.000 168 50  
Lufkin 0-0 0.000 0 0 3-1-0 0.750 155 46  
Sterling 0-0 0.000 0 0 3-1-0 0.750 150 53  
Barbers Hill 0-0 0.000 0 0 3-1-0 0.750 172 78  
Port Arthur Memorial 0-0 0.000 0 0 3-1-0 0.750 171 100  
West Brook 0-0 0.000 0 0 2-2-0 0.500 84 77  
Beaumont United 0-0 0.000 0 0 2-2-0 0.500 54 117  

Questions and Answers with Coach Quick - Week 5.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_0694f103-56bb-5279-9494-cf860a9914de.html

Sports editor Edwin Quarles held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Monday afternoon. The Panthers (3-1) defeated Tyler 39-27 in their last non-district game and have won three straight games. Lufkin will open district play at home against a Barbers Hill team that is 3-1 and and led 9-5A DI in points and yards per game in non-district action. Friday’s game is set 7 p.m. start at John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium.

Q Barbers Hill has been putting up a lot of points in their games. What have you seen from their offense and what are some things to look for from them?

A They’re really good offensively, they have a great plan, they’re big up front and their offensive line is the strength of it. Their quarterback handles the ball and runs the RPO (run-pass-option) and they really have a great plan. They put up a lot of points and we’ll have our hands full defensively. They’re a tempo offense so they go real fast. When you do that, it cuts down on the number of calls you can have defensively. I think every play they call could be a run or pass depending on what they read. They run a lot of RPOs and there’s a lot of reads for the quarterback.

Q Where do you feel the Panthers are as a team headed into the opening game of district play?

A We’re right where we want to be today, but we want to be a little better tomorrow. We just want to keep getting a little bit better each day and not get to the point where you are satisfied. Teams that are satisfied quit getting better. You can’t stay the same.

Q What is the mentality of the team as you get ready to open up district at home?

A The kids came to work today and we did a lot of install getting ready for Friday. We tried to keep the tempo up and the kids are ready to go. They’re excited about opening up at home, and we should take advantage of it. We have an advantage, but it’s not one if you don’t take it.

Q Running back Kenneth Waters had his best game last week, rushing for 156 yards and a touchdown.

What does he bring to the offense and talk about how he improved as the game went on?

A He had a lot of carries. The thing about him is that he’s such a different look than other backs that are big, inside guys.

He ran really good inside the tackles and broke it out and I was real pleased with that. That’s a craft that he has learned. He has outrun people his whole life and now he’s figured out the shortest distance to the goal line is straight up the middle.

If you get it through that first line, then break it out, you get a lot more yards. He’s not real big and he kind of hides in there and gets lost in the shuffle at times.

Q KeVondrick Taylor had a big game last week with a rushing score and a 95-yard kickoff return for a TD. What does he bring to the offense and special teams?

A He’ll be back in the backfield some. He’ll be at the receiver spot and he could be at the wildcat spot. We’ve got to get the ball in his hands.

We’ll have to replace (Krisean) Preston this week, and we’ve got someone that’s ready to go out there and make plays.

10 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

We absolutely should house these guys. 

I hope y’all are right. I barely make predictions anymore, even though i know the potential of this team. After watching BH again, they don’t look bad. The oline may be the best we see in the regular season. I already knew about the coaching staff.

Hopefully the pack can take care of business on Friday and everyone stays healthy. We need a win like this to start off district. 

19 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I hope y’all are right. I barely make predictions anymore, even though i know the potential of this team. After watching BH again, they don’t look bad. The oline may be the best we see in the regular season. I already knew about the coaching staff.

Hopefully the pack can take care of business on Friday and everyone stays healthy. We need a win like this to start off district. 

They struggled blocking Manvel up front and even Deer Park had there moments. I don't expect them to be able to run the ball at all on us. I have a little insight on what the defense plans are and I think it's gonna work. If our offense can get rolling we can win this one by a few scores. The BH defense is very aggressive. They react to motion and the bubble passes quickly. I think they're probably better then they're giving credit for on that side of the ball. I think BH is a good team but stylistically I believe this is a bad matchup for them. 

32 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They struggled blocking Manvel up front and even Deer Park had there moments. I don't expect them to be able to run the ball at all on us. I have a little insight on what the defense plans are and I think it's gonna work. If our offense can get rolling we can win this one by a few scores. The BH defense is very aggressive. They react to motion and the bubble passes quickly. I think they're probably better then they're giving credit for on that side of the ball. I think BH is a good team but stylistically I believe this is a bad matchup for them. 

I'm hanging on to your thoughts. Have said about all I can think of about this game. I'll  have the 9-5A DI game predictions up tomorrow AM. Frankly as a fan, I'm always nervous about big games.

Just now, PackAttack said:

I'm hanging on to your thoughts. Have said about all I can think of about this game. I'll  have the 9-5A DI game predictions up tomorrow AM. Frankly as a fan, I'm always nervous about big games.

Yeah, this will be the first big game we’ve won in some time if we do lol this staff has probably completely forgot what that feels like. As a fan, I have 🤣

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, this will be the first big game we’ve won in some time if we do lol this staff has probably completely forgot what that feels like. As a fan, I have 🤣

Last big game Lufkin won that meant anything was probably the College Station games in 2018 and 2019.😎

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Last big game Lufkin won that meant anything was probably the College Station games in 2018 and 2019.😎

Id maybe even go back to 2017 Westfield. We were so much better than CS in 2018 and 2019. Still good wins. I guess Westfield sticks out more to me because it was a playoff game. One could maybe even argue last year against Consolidated was a big win. They end up going to the 4th Rd and actually blew a 4th quarter lead to Smithson Valley if I'm not mistaken or they would have gotten to the title game.