2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

We gotta give some credit to Coach Green as critical as we have been. He's slowly opening up the play book. 

Yea, I've given him a thumbs up two weeks in a row now. I get this strange twitch in my eye when I write it though. LOL  

There is so much diverse talent there this year. I do reserve my rights however. 😎

50 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Yea, I've given him a thumbs up two weeks in a row now. I get this strange twitch in my eye when I write it though. LOL  

There is so much diverse talent there this year. I do reserve my rights however. 😎

It's just refreshing to score 50+ points again and in consecutive games. When is the last time that has happened here? 

I'm glad to see the team clicking. And want to see them succeed just as much as the next fan. I just hope Green doesn't clamp up once the degree of competition goes up. A healthy Johnson could take this team to the next level. I consider him to be the X-factor for us. Not really worried about the defense. I think they will hold their own against most teams. We just need some work against some teams that can pass. Also love seeing us bring back the swinging gate. 

Someone mentioned Gavin not being as good as Waters. I think Gavin brings some physicality to that side of the ball for us. He prob won't have any 100yd rushing games. But will have plenty of opportunities to score inside the red zone. And will help out with blocking. Plus we have to see how everything will work with Johnson in the lineup. Honestly..with all the depth a RB this year. I would've prob put all my chips on the defense. And allowed Gavin to play on that side of the ball. 

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

I'm glad to see the team clicking. And want to see them succeed just as much as the next fan. I just hope Green doesn't clamp up once the degree of competition goes up. A healthy Johnson could take this team to the next level. I consider him to be the X-factor for us. Not really worried about the defense. I think they will hold their own against most teams. We just need some work against some teams that can pass. Also love seeing us bring back the swinging gate. 

Someone mentioned Gavin not being as good as Waters. I think Gavin brings some physicality to that side of the ball for us. He prob won't have any 100yd rushing games. But will have plenty of opportunities to score inside the red zone. And will help out with blocking. Plus we have to see how everything will work with Johnson in the lineup. Honestly..with all the depth a RB this year. I would've prob put all my chips on the defense. And allowed Gavin to play on that side of the ball. 

I would like to see Gavin play some on defense rushing the QB

15 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Why do they not allow us to rewatch the Panther games? I guess if you don't watch it live your out of luck. I never watch so I just assumed they were available.

I guess they don't want other teams to have all our games to watch is what I was told. The Deer Park and Barbers Hill game is on youtube. I've gotten through a quarter and I think Barbers Hill is gonna be in trouble when they come here. To be fair I still have to finish the game.

28 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I guess they don't want other teams to have all our games to watch is what I was told. The Deer Park and Barbers Hill game is on youtube. I've gotten through a quarter and I think Barbers Hill is gonna be in trouble when they come here. To be fair I still have to finish the game.

Let us know what you think 

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Which is weird, because Longview, Huntsville and several other schools have their games available all season. I think Lufkin games are available after the season ends. If you look on the YouTube, the games for last year are available. 

43 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Which is weird, because Longview, Huntsville and several other schools have their games available all season. I think Lufkin games are available after the season ends. If you look on the YouTube, the games for last year are available. 

Well, there are times people can't go to the game or can't watch at the time of the game, and would like to view later. That's just not available.   

10 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Diboll appears to suck this year 🤣

I think they are 1-2 and had to score on their last drive at home to beat 4A DII Rusk this week to avoid an 0-3 start.  Rusk is in 9-4A DII with Carthage and are picked 4th for that district.  We know Mosley Jr is Lumberjacking now, the LND had his pic in the paper, don't know if any other former Panthers filtered down that way or not.

Actually DCTF list them as a Region III sleeper in 3A DI based on returning players and a 9-3 record in 2023.  DCTF pick them to finish 2nd in 9-3A DI behind Teague,  Palestine Westwood at #3 and Fairfield in 4th.

So far Teague is 2-1, Palestine Westwood is 3-0,  Fairfield is 1-2, Crockett is 1-2 and Huntington is 0-3.  Not a difficult district at all so Diboll should not have a problem making the playoffs.

After watching Barbers Hill and PAM competing against some quality 6A programs this past Friday, Lufkin had better be ready, these teams can play.  My thoughts are out on Ball because they haven't play the same caliber competition, but neither has Lufkin outside of Longview and Huntsville, and we lost both of those.

So I'm not going to get overly excited about beating two marginal teams like Nacogdoches and LRSW, although we did to them exactly what a good team should do to those type teams.  Haven't had our started QB so far and we rested some guys on D last week, didn't seem to make any difference on the outcomes.  The Exception may have been Longview, no way to know that though.

This week is a key game in Tyler, and they better be ready against Barbers Hill because they are going to be closer to playing Longview than any team they have seen since that rainy night of Aug 30th.  I've watch two of their games and you better be ready to play when they come in, they don't quit or back down.

In fact I'm starting to believe there is enough talent in this district that you better not sleep on anyone this year or you might get get your butt upset. Although Aldine Nimitz beat Beaumont United 41-0 on Saturday, they might be the exception.

Really interested to see Johnson play. Just haven't seen enough of him to tell me much about his capabilities.  Last year he didn't throw much, he ran a lot, but got tangled up in his blocking a lot too.  The kid is just a raw untested talent, Coutee did improve exponentially these past two games, although not against the best defensive competition. We must weigh all of this success logically without throwing a wet sheet on it either.

Lufkin has got to show it can win big games and beat good football teams. That has to happen before any of us can think of greater things down the road.  PAM, Barbers Hill, Ball Sterling, BWB and United have been playing tougher competition. That's the reality.  Can't hang our hat on a closely played game with Longview. Nacogdoches and LRSW were no true test, it has been more like we played one real game and three scrimmages so far this year.

Next up, Lufkin Panther Football is on the road to Tyler! Online tickets sales open Monday at 8:00 a.m.
*There is a clear bag policy.
**No cash sales.
Go Pack!

Port Authur Memorial is the only Team that played A tough game and that was against Hightower and this suppose to be Hightower Down year , Barbers Hill lost to a Deer Park Team that’s average living here in Houston I have seen a lot of these teams play .The competition in this year District is not as good as  District Lufkin has played in the last 8 years  yall just watch and see Lufkin should win this District if they stay healthy. 

A few more stats from the game Friday:

Lufkin total yardage  - 366 yards (225 passing and 141 rushing)

Quicny Coutee was 17-19 for 225 yards.

Kenneth Waters had 75 yards on 12 carries in one half of work.

I think everyone who suited up got into the game for at least a play or two.

This will be technically Lufkin's first road game of the year, Texarkana is a long way to go for a home game.  Panthers traveled three hours and LR Southwest were only two hours away. Next year will by by Arkansas HS rules. Don't know the difference exactly.

34 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

Port Authur Memorial is the only Team that played A tough game and that was against Hightower and this suppose to be Hightower Down year , Barbers Hill lost to a Deer Park Team that’s average living here in Houston I have seen a lot of these teams play .The competition in this year District is not as good as  District Lufkin has played in the last 8 years  yall just watch and see Lufkin should win this District if they stay healthy. 

Thanks for the information, it's hard to keep up with those teams down in that area unless your able to see them play in person. I do my best to watch video and check the DCTF Power Ranks with teams to try to get an evaluation.

Lufkin has all the talent in the world. We should be able to step on the field and compete with just about anyone in 5A. The issue with us. Is the lack of success with this staff and many of the same players who have been on varsity for multiple years now. The soft non district schedule did not help us improve. It was nice to get the backups some reps, but it's our starters who need to be pushed. You look at Longview and SOC schedule. Then look at ours and it's a big gap between the level of competition. It was nice having Consolidated on the schedule and wish we could've kept that series going. Not much we could do about having to schedule LRSW this year. I just hate this staff reliance on mostly scheduling old east tx rivals for non district games. Too much familiarity with each other. You need to play some teams who bring some things you're  not use to.

Johnson will have to take his lumps during district. No way around that at this point. He shouldn't have to do too much with our defense. But if we are to make a serious playoff run. He will have to bring it all together this year. Ideally..he would've went through this process the second half of last year. It would've gave him a leg up going into this year. Just got hope he stays healthy enough to get in enough reps to go through his growing pains before playoffs.

Not looking ahead of Tyler at all. That 1st district game with BH will test our D. They have a big OL who are good, and hold a lot  too in the two games I watched. They have decent skilled kids. The BH D is decent enough, not real big.  I think they are vulnerable to the pass. 

Dont beleve Deer Park is as good as Lufkin, especially defensively. They threw the ball well the 2nd half on BH.  That first district game sets the tone for the rest of the district play. Our Lufkin D is not giving up points, none of the teams we have played this year have sustained many drive against them, much less scored much. PAM and BH have been giving up points, not Lufkin.  Ball is playing decent defense IMO.

12 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not looking ahead of Tyler at all. That 1st disyrict game with BH will test our D. They have a big OL who are good, and hold a lot  too in the two games I watched. They have decent skilled kids. The BH D is decent enough, not real big.  I think they are vulnerable to the pass. 

Dont beleve Deer Park is as good as Lufkin, especially defensively. They threw the ball well the 2nd half on BH.  That first district game sets the tone for the rest of the district play. Our Lufkin D is not giving up points, none of the teams we have played this year have sustained many drive against them, much less scored much. PAM and BH have been giving up points, not Lufkin.  Ball is playing decent defense IMO.

BH offense is not as explosive without their starting RB. Still will be a big test for our team. I think the main thing for us is to keep improving on offense. And certain players on defense will have to learn to keep their composure.