2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Nacogdoches has some speed. They caught us from behind several times last night. 

They tried to use that speed early on us, they have several kids who can scamper.  The snaps over their QBs head all night was a big deterrent for them. IF those had not happen so often, maybe the game is a little closer. On the other hand, their QB also did a great job at snap count drawing our DL off sides 5 or 6 times.  

Nacogdoches may do better in their 5A DII district than many think. Lufkin just took advantage of everything they did wrong last night. That Lufkin D is legit, they will play as tough as the opponent, everyone we play is going to have a problem against those guys..  The Lufkin O just needed the work, to get the kinks out, and the extra week of preparation really helped Coutee. The OL did a good job.  Nacogdoches had some big guys in their OL and DL and they had their moments. That 56-0 make Nacogdoches look bad, but I think it had more  to do with Lufkin finally letting loose, making the plays, taking advantage of every Dragon error to score a lot of points.  Nacogdoches had 3 really good drives where they just could not finish or made the mistake or TO to stop their drives. Just saying.  In a cleaner played game, the score might have been closer to 42-21. 

Think I mentioned last night, thought the special teams play was really good.  Great coverage and returns. Those extra point snaps were tricky a couple times but Hansard made it work.  He is a very good kicker, booming kick offs, punting when he punts and has been flawless on his XP and FG attempts.

Going to give a compliment, thought the play calling and execution was good this game. I complain about that a lot, so I give thumbs up when it is a good job.  Hope that continues the rest of the year.

23 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They're probably the worst team on our schedule. This one is going to be ugly ugly. I'm going to stay home and watch this one from my couch. 

We needed a game and not an open week. They might not be very good, but it at least lets the kids pack up their stuff, get on a bus and travel.   Not sure how many fans make the 170 mile and 3 hour trip?  If we were playing Texas High it might be different.  if I don't go it will break my string of games going back to 1998.  It has to end at some time, might be a good time to take the pressure off.  Thinking JAM Media would be a good option right now.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

We needed a game and not an open week. They might not be very good, but it at least lets the kids pack up their stuff, get on a bus and travel.   Not sure how many fans make the 170 mile and 3 hour trip?  If we were playing Texas High it might be different.  if I don't go it will break my string of games going back to 1998.  It has to end at some time, might be a good time to take the pressure off.  Thinking JAM Media would be a good option right now.

I agree the game is better than no game. It will be a good walk through before traveling to Tyler. 

If it were Texas High I would make the trip but to drive 3 hrs for a complete a** kicking 😂. Probably gonna throw something on the grill and tune into Big Nasty.

Also wanted to mention Junior Kylon Coleman at RB. He is a big kid, there are possibilities with him as not only a RB, a blocker too.

I like the swinging gate for two point attempts, a nice innovation change. The jumbo package on the goal line did not escape my attention.

The end around double pitch reverse, a whole bag of play book options came out Friday night. Continue that good work and you won't hear a peep out of me the rest of the year.

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Also wanted to mention Junior Kylon Coleman at RB. He is a big kid, there are possibilities with him as not only a RB, a blocker too.

I like the swinging gate for two point attempts, a nice innovation change. The jumbo package on the goal line did not escape my attention.

The end around double pitch reverse, a whole bag of play book options came out Friday night. Continue that good work and you won't hear a peep out of me the rest of the year.

I was pleasantly surprised. I hope it keeps up. 

1 minute ago, timeout! said:

#5 North Crowley knocked off # 1 Desoto last night. 

Not sure if the new school opening hurt them or not. But it does make you wonder if losing a handful athletes hurts with having extra depth against some of the better schools. 

57-51

Aledo beat Lancaster by 10 last night, north Crowley beat Lancaster by 8 week 1. 

Arkansas will be another blowout, but most importantly it will give the offense another week to get some more reps in. Hopefully if we go up by 20+ they will sub in more second string because you don't know when someone will have to step up in a big game. 

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

#5 North Crowley knocked off # 1 Desoto last night. 

Not sure if the new school opening hurt them or not. But it does make you wonder if losing a handful athletes hurts with having extra depth against some of the better schools. 

57-51

NC is just really good. DeSoto is still loaded.

11 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Going to give a compliment, thought the play calling and execution was good this game. I complain about that a lot, so I give thumbs up when it is a good job.  Hope that continues the rest of the year.

Uh oh, PA saying Green’s a good coach.   Better be ready for some earthquakes tonight.  😊

8 minutes ago, mr. b said:

Uh oh, PA saying Green’s a good coach.   Better be ready for some earthquakes tonight.  😊

LOL, check back after we play a really good team.

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

We could probably score a 100 on this Arkansas team if we really wanted to. Gonna be a running clock in the 2nd half for sure 

It’s a team from Arkansas, we gotta put at least 90 on em lol. 

I’ll agree with PA though, play calling was solid last game. And i really like the defense and special teams this season. However, not getting my hopes up. I just want to see them against Tyler and of course the first few district games. If we’re 6-1 heading to PAM and healthy, That will tell me a lot about this team and if we’re really a darkhorse or serious contender in R3 imo. We’ve been wanting to be in Region 3 for a long time, i just hope we can take advantage this year with a good senior group. 

7 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I just gotta get on here to say, HOOK’EM HORNS 🤘🏻🤘🏻🗣️🗣️

Yea, it may be too soon….but Texas look like they are back. Michigan is down this year and will lose a few more games, but Texas still did what they were supposed to do in a tough atmosphere against a very good defense. 

4 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, it may be too soon….but Texas look like they are back. Michigan is down this year and will lose a few more games, but Texas still did what they were supposed to do in a tough atmosphere against a very good defense. 

Somebody told me yesterday that Texas will beat everybody and then blow it against someone like Vanderbilt like they always do 🤣.. I’ll be interested to see how USC does against Michigan next week. 

My takes after week #2 :

1.) we’ve played 8 quarters and given up 7 points! That’s not easy to do at all!!!

2.) offense looked to be more in sync against NAC . Who did have some speed on defense! 

3.) defense continues to be dominant 

4.) special teams stepped up against NAC 

5.) play calling was better against NAC . Would like to see that continue moving forward! 

6.) let’s see how we work Johnson in at QB . He should be able to play this next week I assume. 

7.) OL blocked better against NAC. They will need to keep improving! 

8.) like the idea of giving waters more carries 

9.) Coutee showed improvement at QB!!!!