2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

@PurpleNation what’s the scoop this week on injuries, we good? 

I don't think we have any injuries that will prevent anyone from playing outside QB1.

My son said Coutee threw the ball well today. Caught the defense by surprise. Maybe he's starting to find a rhythm. We will see Friday night. The kid works hard so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him have a decent game passing. 

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't think we have any injuries that will prevent anyone from playing outside QB1.

My son said Coutee threw the ball well today. Caught the defense by surprise. Maybe he's starting to find a rhythm. We will see Friday night. The kid works hard so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him have a decent game passing. 

That’s good news. I believe we will be able to run with success against nac either way, but maybe that’ll help open up the pass for him. 

18 hours ago, timeout! said:

To be fair. Some of those guys wear more than one hat. Mr. Quarles is also a local educator.  Definitely not a glamorous gig and probably done more for the love of covering HS sports. I would also like tougher questions, but I think their hands are tied. What I do find somewhat funny. Is some of the hardest question Quick has gotten. Has been from students on the weekly Panther News. One young lady kinda grilled him after a loss last year..lol.

My comments didn't single out any particular person, and wasn't really talking about anyone specifically this year, because this year has just started.  I was thinking more over the last 3 or 4 years.  The LHS girl that interviews Quick has asked more poignant questions than other media types have done over the years, maybe because either they are on the payroll or might lose their interview privileges.  Folks tell me Gary Ivins can have those "What are you doing?" moments during Panther broadcast in the past few years. Not a big deal I guess, Just along for the ride. I've got no money on the table, so to speak.

25 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Gary has heated up with the “wtf” moments the last few years. The state of the program is working on folks. Let us miss the playoffs this year. PN himself might explode 🤣

Unless they can get all the offensive personnel back and start making it click, you just never know what trail the season takes.

Want to see what adjustments and improvements have been made with another week of practice. Hopefully they figured some things out to move the ball more consistently.

Nacogdoches is not Longview and we are playing at home again, so we will see.

36 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Unless they can get all the offensive personnel back and start making it click, you just never know what trail the season takes.

Want to see what adjustments and improvements have been made with another week of practice. Hopefully they figured some things out to move the ball more consistently.

Nacogdoches is not Longview and we are playing at home again, so we will see.

I won’t feel good offensively until we can have success against a really good team. Idc what we do against Nac unless it’s the same result as against Longview. Then I’ll be overly worried. District will let us know. 

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I won’t feel good offensively until we can have success against a really good team. Idc what we do against Nac unless it’s the same result as against Longview. Then I’ll be overly worried. District will let us know. 

I agree with this. I'm expecting them to put up points on Nac even without QB1. I think Tyler will be the next game for me to really see if we have something figured out offensively. Fully expect to be 3-1 headed into the Barbers Hill game. Which is "THE" game for me. It's really a must win. Don't wanna look to far ahead but after that game we will know exactly what to expect this year.

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I agree with this. I'm expecting them to put up points on Nac even without QB1. I think Tyler will be the next game for me to really see if we have something figured out offensively. Fully expect to be 3-1 headed into the Barbers Hill game. Which is "THE" game for me. It's really a must win. Don't wanna look to far ahead but after that game we will know exactly what to expect this year.

Agree! 

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-look-to-rebound-versus-dragons/article_4266a0ee-c551-5f63-a860-8e9d315908e7.html

Lufkin came up short against rival Longview 7-3 last week and will get another longtime rival this week in Nacogdoches.

Nacogdoches got its season off to a good start last week, taking a 34-17 win over Palestine.

The Panthers have dominated the series against the Dragons, leading 75-23-6 with eight straight wins since losing back-to-back games in 2013 and 2014. Prior to 2013 the Panthers won 19 straight in the series.

Even though Lufkin has dominated the series, Panthers’ head football coach Todd Quick said his team has to be ready to play and also has some things to get corrected from last week.

“We’ve got to correct some things offensively and get in sync and be more efficient,” Quick said. “It’s just crazy that they’ve been playing that long, that’s three generations. You know there’s a lot of people that still remember lining up in that game.

“It’s big. We’ll have a big crowd and they will too. It will be exciting.”

Lufkin will look to get more production from its offense that struggled to move the ball last week. The Panthers had just 59 total yards and only three first downs in the first half. The production picked up in the second half, particularly on the ground with 17 carries for 93 yards.

RB Kenneth Waters and Ke’Vondrick Taylor, who split time with Quincy Coutee at QB in the second half, had big carries on the Panthers’ scoring drive that resulted in a 25-yard field goal by Nolan Hansard.

Taylor and Coutee will both see time at QB as starter Javion Johnson is recovering from a shoulder injury.

“Both of those guys do something really good and we’ve got to take advantage of it. We’ve got to clean it up a little bit and we’ve got to clean things up on the offensive line,” Quick said.

Four running backs got touches in the first week with Gavin Phillips, Demarkus Chinn and Waters getting carries and Kylon Coleman catching a pass.

“We used four running backs and we used them pretty equal too and they got a lot of reps,” Quick said. “Being early in the year it’s hot and, the same way with other positions, we’ll rotate those guys. You’ve got to do that to keep them fresh and play the way they’re supposed to play.”

Nacogdoches head coach Darby House said the Panthers have a solid defense and a lot of weapons on offense.

“The big thing is they’re solid defensively. They’ve got a big defensive tackle, (Zion Williams). They’ve got a stud linebacker (Kaden Hooper) coming back. They’ve got a lot of key pieces,” House said. “(Evan Young) was a corner last year and is a safety this year.

“They have a lot of key pieces coming back for them defensively.

“Offensively, they’ve got a stable of backs. They have almost all of their receiving corps coming back from last year. They do it in bunches.”

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

What did the sub varsity teams do? 

Haven't heard, I decided to mow in the rain rather than go to the game and sit in the same. No one ever said I had good sense. LOL

We never did talk about this much because we held Longview to just 7 points.  The Lufkin D had 3 fumble take aways while the Lufkin O gave away two interceptions.  Hidden in that is the Lufkin D gave up 306 total yards to Longview, 226 were on the ground.  Lufkin had 127 yards rushing and 158 total as a comparison. 

Just a thought. 😉

10 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Haven't heard, I decided to mow in the rain rather than g to the game and sit in the same. No one ever said I had good sense. LOL

🤣 man my zero turn has been in the shop for 2 weeks so my property hasn’t been mowed in 3 weeks. I have 3 acres that I have to mow and it’s pretty grown up. Place looks vacant lol 

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

We never did talk about this much because we held Longview to just 7 points.  The Lufkin D had 3 fumble take aways while the Lufkin O gave away two interceptions.  Hidden in that is the Lufkin D gave up 306 total yards to Longview, 226 were on the ground.  Lufkin had 127 yards rushing and 158 total as a comparison. 

Just a thought. 😉

Idc if they give up 500 yards per game, if they force turnovers and hold the scores down I’m good lol 

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just a thought. 😉

If you take away that fluke fumble return for a TD and poor clock management by Lufkin. Longview was around 250 ish and that's with the offense punting and keeping the defense on the field. Looking at it like that the 306 is not to bad. I'll be interested to see how they look vs Marshall tonight 

20 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

If you take away that fluke fumble return for a TD and poor clock management by Lufkin. Longview was around 250 ish and that's with the offense punting and keeping the defense on the field. Looking at it like that the 306 is not to bad. I'll be interested to see how they look vs Marshall tonight 

This clock management problem is a constant topic of conversation.  Do the coaches not understand this problem?, and why does it continued as an issue with this program.