2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Galveston Ball was led in their victory over Manvel by Jonah Williams with 5 rushing carries for 65 yards and 2 TDs. He also had 2 catches for 49 yards and 2 TDs receiving.  Williams took the games opening KO for a TD; Blocked a PAT and 6 tackles and 2 pass break ups.  Quite a game for one player, can he do that every game and stay healthy?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Terrible and stupid decision by an incompetent staff. We got what we got boys. Let’s hope for a miracle. 

Now this is the type of goofy Micky Mouse decision making. I'm referring to when I talk about the program being mismanaged. 

So let me get this straight. The plan is to stick with this 3 Qb carousel. Mainly consisting of Coutee, along with Kevo and Gavin for certain situations. Which hasn't looked good at all. Even in dry condition during the scrimmage and second half of Longview. 

Wouldn't it make more sense, to go with the kid that YOU forced to stay on sub-varsity for two years at Qb?  Playing a position you had no intentions of letting him compete for his junior year. His sophomore year could've been better utilized getting him experience at a different position on varsity. 

Wouldn't it also make sense, to go with the kid. Who parents spent money and valuable resources taking him to Qb camps in and out of state up until his junior year? The same kid that was the Qb during that undefeated run as 9th graders. 

Out of the 3..Gavin is the most seasoned at the position and you not losing much by making him Johnsons immediate backup. He would still be a threat to run at Qb and use his size to pickup tough yards. And I think the experience in the absence of Johnson could pay dividends down the line. And because of the chemistry and success Gavin already had with this group as 9th graders. I feel the moral of the team would still be pretty high if Johnson had to sit out more games down the line. We have to keep in mind that Johnson likes to run. So the threat of injury is a bit higher. 

All this just reeks of bad decision making. Johnson still hasn't really got his feet wet on varsity. So he will be learning on the fly. The hope is the defense gives him enough time to take his lumps and adjust to being on varsity. Being able to run is great. But good teams will force you to make some throws. Johnson should've taken over the starting job after the Longview or Forney game last year. He would've gotten the much needed experience and given the coaches game film for him to work on during the offseason. 

This is the type stuff that adds up over time. And can determine how successful a program is any given year. 

40 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Now this is the type of goofy Micky Mouse decision making. I'm referring to when I talk about the program being mismanaged. 

So let me get this straight. The plan is to stick with this 3 Qb carousel. Mainly consisting of Coutee, along with Kevo and Gavin for certain situations. Which hasn't looked good at all. Even in dry condition during the scrimmage and second half of Longview. 

Wouldn't it make more sense, to go with the kid that YOU forced to stay on sub-varsity for two years at Qb?  Playing a position you had no intentions of letting him compete for his junior year. His sophomore year could've been better utilized getting him experience at a different position on varsity. 

Wouldn't it also make sense, to go with the kid. Who parents spent money and valuable resources taking him to Qb camps in and out of state up until his junior year? The same kid that was the Qb during that undefeated run as 9th graders. 

Out of the 3..Gavin is the most seasoned at the position and you not losing much by making him Johnsons immediate backup. He would still be a threat to run at Qb and use his size to pickup tough yards. And I think the experience in the absence of Johnson could pay dividends down the line. And because of the chemistry and success Gavin already had with this group as 9th graders. I feel the moral of the team would still be pretty high if Johnson had to sit out more games down the line. We have to keep in mind that Johnson likes to run. So the threat of injury is a bit higher. 

All this just reeks of bad decision making. Johnson still hasn't really got his feet wet on varsity. So he will be learning on the fly. The hope is the defense gives him enough time to take his lumps and adjust to being on varsity. Being able to run is great. But good teams will force you to make some throws. Johnson should've taken over the starting job after the Longview or Forney game last year. He would've gotten the much needed experience and given the coaches game film for him to work on during the offseason. 

This is the type stuff that adds up over time. And can determine how successful a program is any given year. 

Yep. Well said. I just don’t get it. Not a knock to Coutee at all. Kid is doing the best he can. He just shouldn’t be the backup QB. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. Well said. I just don’t get it. Not a knock to Coutee at all. Kid is doing the best he can. He just shouldn’t be the backup QB. 

Definitely not a knock on Coutee. Kid has been thrust into a situation he didn't have to be in. You already had a guy that made more sense as a fill in. Keeping in mind that Gavin already has a history of throwing the ball to those guys. Not saying it would be perfect, but I'd rather take my chances with him lining up at Qb..and throwing to Kevo, Coutee, and Preston. Than pulling the the two wideouts and forcing them to share time at Qb. 

And thats the problem with this staff. They have no foresight and it always bites them in the butt. The defense looks legit as of now. The only thing that could cause this to go off the rails is lack of offense. Why not minimize any possible drop off from an injury down the line. By having a legit plan at backup if need be. But they won't do it..if Johnson happens to get hurt again. They'll just roll with this patchwork 3 Qb plan before an important district or playoff game. 

21 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Definitely not a knock on Coutee. Kid has been thrust into a situation he didn't have to be in. You already had a guy that made more sense as a fill in. Keeping in mind that Gavin already has a history of throwing the ball to those guys. Not saying it would be perfect, but I'd rather take my chances with him lining up at Qb..and throwing to Kevo, Coutee, and Preston. Than pulling the the two wideouts and forcing them to share time at Qb. 

And thats the problem with this staff. They have no foresight and it always bites them in the butt. The defense looks legit as of now. The only thing that could cause this to go off the rails is lack of offense. Why not minimize any possible drop off from an injury down the line. By having a legit plan at backup if need be. But they won't do it..if Johnson happens to get hurt again. They'll just roll with this patchwork 3 Qb plan before an important district or playoff game. 

Patchwork. 😉  Something better get figured out post haste, no better time than this Friday. Quick is the head guy, if he wants it fixed it will be. If not, that's on him IMO.

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Not the first time to happen,once has a QB who threw more tds than i can count.Never,never played a down once he got to jv.He did start at an other position but not to throw a pass in high school,will tell you something.Maybe just the offense we run,or not 4.4 speed.

All we can do is watch things play out. If everything plays out just right. Johnson will have great year and be a true dual threat Qb. And we can put points up consistently, then we should be in good shape. 

I will say this. I remember in 2017 we were 3 Qbs deep. I can't remember the starter, but he was backed up by Jordan Moore. Then there was another kid  who was decent and started for us as the 3rd string Qb against Lonestar. Had it not been for a million fumbles and horrible defensive game plan. The Qb played well enough for us to win that game. 

It's not worth saying more about what the offense needs. We've known for years who is leading that side of the football, we know he is not a championship caliber OC or we would have seen more successful playoff runs under his leadership. How I feel personally?, I would probably need to ban myself from this site. LOL As mentioned earlier, the success of this football program, the team, coaches and all lie at the feet of Todd Quick our HC and AD. This program is his legacy to carry, not ours. It's a puzzlement to me that his most success as a coach may end up being his time as DC with John Outlaw? Of course, this year has just began, there is plenty of time left for him to find some redeeming success with this talented group of kids.

DCTF picks for WEEK #2 in District 9-5A DI:

Port Arthur Memorial is a +41 point favorite over Houston Legacy School of Sports Science 

Barbers Hill is a +23 point favorite over 6A Manvel

Lufkin is a +28 point favorite over 5A DII Nacogdoches

Galveston Ball is a +8 point favorite over 5A DII Texas City

Baytown Sterling is a +1 point favorite over 5A DI Galena Park

5A DII Port Neches Groves is a +44 point favorite over Beaumont United

4A DI Lumberton is picked by +5 over Beaumont West Brook (Lumberton lost its season opener to Nederland 37-0). 

Someone earlier said they wanted to see the Lufkin pass D tested. I as watch Baytown Sterling again Goose Creek Memorial, they threw the ball for 337 yards, it's 85% of their offense.  Good accurate QB, he spread around to 5-6 different WRs.

At least it looks like it will be dry this Friday night after a day of rain on Thursday.  As a point of reference for this Friday's game, 4A DII Jasper is a 9 point favorite at Palestine this week. Nacogdoches beat 4A DI Palestine at home last week 34-17, while Lufkin lost at home 7-3 to 6A Longview, 

Who all is thinking about making that jaunt up to Texarkana next week?

Late to the party - glad to have the YT telecast while out of town.  LV looked terrible - they may have an inferior qb situation to Lufkin, if that's possible.  Then, they have a chance to put the game away with a fg and go for it instead.  We could have easily won the game 3-0 if you take back the weird play to end the first half. 

I don't understand this qb trainwreck.  I think we beat the Dragons regardless, but it's just a sad situation we don't have a back-up qb that can at least throw the ball 15 yards in the air.  Amazing LV didn't pin their ears back and put 9 in the box - they looked completely lost.   

Q&A with Coach Quick

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_4c2a15b6-4bf2-5df9-8e89-3dab655e834e.html

Sports editor Edwin Quarles held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Monday afternoon. The Panthers lost a close contest 7-3 to Longview in their season opener at home Friday night. Lufkin will host Nacogdoches Friday night as the teams renew their rivalry.

Lufkin holds a 75-23-6 lead in the series.

Q: On the scoring drive that led to the 25-yard field goal by Nolan Hansard early in the fourth quarter last week, was there any thought of going for the first down on fourth down and four inside the Longview 10?

A: With that much time left, we figured we’d get a couple of more possessions and we had to get points on the board right then. We got down there and we had to have something to light a fire. Had it been fourth and one, we were going for it. We had to get something on the board to get a little spark.

Q: Defensively you got some big plays from Elijah Alexander and Chris Horace causing turnovers. What did you see from them individually and the defense during the game?

A: You know, in the weather like that you have to protect the ball and not give teams an extra possession. For us, it was if the ball is on the ground, it’s ours. If they give us an extra opportunity to steal some possessions, we have to take advantage and we did. Elijah had a strip and a fumble return and Horace had one strip on a pass and a QB sack.

And Elijah also had a big hit on a fourth and one play. Turnovers give you a big advantage, and that’s a big part of what we try to do.

Q: After the game Friday, you were talking to the team about not being satisfied with just a close loss to Longview. What has been their mindset since Friday’s game?

A: They were here Saturday morning knocking on the doors seeing what they can do to get better. That’s the attitude you have to have. Close is not what we’re trying to do here. They want to know “How do I fix that? How can I make more plays?” That’s exactly how they showed up today too. They want to know, they want to get better.

Q: Nacogdoches won its season opener over Palestine 34-17 on Friday. What did you see from them on film?

A: The’ve got some dudes. They’ve got a quarterback, tailback and wide receiver that can go and they’re going to get the ball to them. They don’t make mistakes and they play the game the right way.

They play hard. They’re coming over here and they’re 1-0. We’re going to have our guys ready and be in sync and a lot more efficient offensively.

19 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I never read the Q&A and know exactly what he said lol 

It's the reason we talk here, because no one else in the media will ever ask, or maybe their not allowed to ask, the hard questions of this program.  It's always Dunkin Doughnuts and coffee time.😉

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

It's the reason we talk here, because no one else in the media will ever ask, or maybe their not allowed to ask, the hard questions of this program.  It's always Dunkin Doughnuts and coffee time.😉

Yep. If that was my profession, I would have dreams and aspirations of being a bigger sports journalist than just in Lufkin Tx lol.. These guys are bums. I would ask some tough questions, if they don’t like it then fire me. There’s such a thing as going off script. 

1 minute ago, LufkinPack said:

Let’s come back to this quote Friday night. ^^^^^^^

Like I said, we are going to talk about this all year, unless Quick and Green come to an understanding how this offense will really go the rest of the year.

5 minutes ago, timeout! said:

🤣

Man I hope we don't come out struggling on offense. I think our defense will help shorten the field for us. 

I’m willing to bet our line struggles to block Nac too. I do think our backs are shifty and fast enough though to make a lot of stuff happen. Idk about being able to pass. If it’s Coutee, we might hit a short pass here and there. 

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Like I said, we are going to talk about this all year, unless Quick and Green come to an understanding how this offense will really go the rest of the year.

Yep. Idk how kevo, Preston and those guys keep from blowing up. They must be well disciplined because id be losing my mind not getting utilized. They are too good to stand there. 

16 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. If that was my profession, I would have dreams and aspirations of being a bigger sports journalist than just in Lufkin Tx lol.. These guys are bums. I would ask some tough questions, if they don’t like it then fire me. There’s such a thing as going off script. 

To be fair. Some of those guys wear more than one hat. Mr. Quarles is also a local educator.  Definitely not a glamorous gig and probably done more for the love of covering HS sports. I would also like tougher questions, but I think their hands are tied. What I do find somewhat funny. Is some of the hardest question Quick has gotten. Has been from students on the weekly Panther News. One young lady kinda grilled him after a loss last year..lol.

Just now, timeout! said:

To be fair. Some of those guys wear more than one hat. Mr. Quarles is also a local educator.  Definitely not a glamorous gig and probably done more for the love of covering HS sports. I would also like tougher questions, but I think their hands are tied. What I do find somewhat funny. Is some of the hardest question Quick has gotten. Has been from students on the weekly Panther News. One young lady kinda grilled him after a loss last year..lol.

🤣 them kids