2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

16 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I will say this, I do think Lufkin is capable of a strong running game, and Gavin Phillips is part of that formula, so is Chinn.  Coutee would not be a stationary QB either, and Taylor is lightening fast.  Just saying, the strength could surprisingly be in the Panther running game. Therefore maybe the thinking of keeping Gavin at RB and not QB.  There will be a definite game plan for Longview, there was little for Huntsville. You can also use Keandre Hooper and Waters out of the backfield , there are many more running options this year than we have seen in many years.  I would like to see Gavin at QB and Coutee at WR and see what the other RBs could get done. That's just me.  It's easy to have an opinion, doesn't hold much water and  I'm not carrying the clipboard, so there is no pressure on me. We'll see what happens, then we can talk about it.

Good points. Especially if the defense turns out as good as advertised. Old school run the ball and play defense. Doesn’t sound like Lufkin does it lol 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this. Kevo is not coming in to throw the ball. I imagine it will be run heavy with some option mixed in. Can't see him throwing many passes. He played QB up until 9th grade so it's not completely foreign to him. I honestly would go with him before Coutee. Coutee is a dang good WR probably made the most strides of that group this off season. Kevo is the kid I would pick besides Gavin. I've mentioned to my son before that they should use Kevo as a wildcat QB. He's going to put a different kind of pressure on Longview Friday night when he comes in. I actually love it. 

Double slot offense out of shotgun. Qb, fullback , two slots close to the tackles. Run option football , sweeps, counters, qb bootlegs, and off tackle and still have your four wide to throw to as a passing threat. Watch the two wide recievers come wide open in this offense as they will be matched up in single coverage. 

8 hours ago, timeout! said:

I was impressed with Waters last year. He had a couple of good runs during the scrimmage. I'm ready to see what the coaches come up with. And you are right about Gavin at RB. 

Waters is the most under talked about offensive player in Lufkin's program IMO. I remember telling Lufkin folks how impressed I was with him when he was a freshman.

He is criminally underrated and part of it is a mismanaged roster. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack4life said:

Waters is the most under talked about offensive player in Lufkin's program IMO. I remember telling Lufkin folks how impressed I was with him when he was a freshman.

He will get plenty of carries. Don't think it's mismanagement right here just think Gavin should probably get them first but Waters will clearly have the second most carries but you're right we don't talk about him near enough but trust me I know how good he is. Then you have Chinn who does all the dirty work. The other Waters brother at CB is a stud too. He has a chance to play at the next level.

8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Double slot offense out of shotgun. Qb, fullback , two slots close to the tackles. Run option football , sweeps, counters, qb bootlegs, and off tackle and still have your four wide to throw to as a passing threat. Watch the two wide recievers come wide open in this offense as they will be matched up in single coverage. 

It would work they have the kids to do it. I think we're going to see something if Kevo goes in at QB. He's the most dangerous player on the roster in space with the ball in his hands. He is cat quick. He can stop and change directions on a dime. He could be a game changer at QB Friday night. 

2 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

Mismanaged and underrated, good points. Want to see how all our kids are used this year. Thank you for your outside perspective. It's essential to maximize all these Panther talents, including Waters and Taylor. Always said there's not much difference between the Lufkin and Longview kids the last several years, take your guess on why the programs have taken different directions. Just saying you never saw Outlaw's Lufkin teams kicked to the curb by the Lobos, like these last three meetings, 41-5, 56-7 and 42-0.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

He will get plenty of carries. Don't think it's mismanagement right here just think Gavin should probably get them first but Waters will clearly have the second most carries but you're right we don't talk about him near enough but trust me I know how good he is. Then you have Chinn who does all the dirty work. The other Waters brother at CB is a stud too. He has a chance to play at the next level.

It's mismanaged because 2 years ago, I thought Gavin would be playing QB lol

I pretty much had Waters tabbed as next up after Young left.

15 minutes ago, wolfpack4life said:

It's mismanaged because 2 years ago, I thought Gavin would be playing QB lol

I pretty much had Waters tabbed as next up after Young left.

😂 I agree if we had turned over the reigns to Gavin his 10 grade year. Waters had some nice moments in the scrimmage along with Gavin. Little bit of a thunder and lightning combo between the too. They both will have chances this Friday against your Lobos. 

2 hours ago, CardiacPack said:

All 3 QBs looked good out there today. 😎 Yep.. he got some snaps in today. I like what I’m seeing and hope this stuff is actually implemented in Fridays game 

Kevo is definitely going to give Longview something to really think about from the QB position. He can throw it too now.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/panthers-look-to-improve-from-fridays-scrimmage/article_65305d01-6ff2-5c3c-bc2b-369a5dd70c65.html

With Longview coming up in the season opener Friday, the Lufkin Panthers will be working on making some corrections from their scrimmage in Huntsville.

The Panthers gave up four scores to the Hornets — three touchdowns and a field goal — and turned the ball over four times in the timed portion of the scrimmage on Friday night.

“We have a good squad, but we didn’t play well, and every moment is a teaching moment,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “There’s a reason why you scrimmage before you play the real thing, to be able to correct things and get them where you want to go.”

“We took Jay out and we weren’t taking any chances on that and that puts you a little out of sync,” Quick said. “(Quincy) Coutee has taken a few reps and he did a good job and I was pleased with his effort. But it takes a little while when another guy comes in, but we’ll get there.”

Individual player statistic from the scrimmage:

Junior running back Kenneth Waters provided a spark with runs of 12, 17 and 35 yards. He finished with 75 yards on nine carries. Starting RB Gavin Phillips rushed nine times for 53 yards with runs of 14 and 15.

Coutee had a run of 21 yards that moved the Panthers away from their own end zone.

Johnson, who started 0-for-4, completed seven of his next eight passes. Most were for shorts gains as the seven completions totaled just 35 yards.

Coutee was 8-of-18 for 97 yards and two interceptions. Coutee’s longest was the 47-yarder to Nichols.

Receiver Kaleb Barraza caught five passes for 40 yards. Krisean Preston caught three for 19.

On the Defensive play:

The Panthers’ first-team defense gave up touchdowns in each of the 10-play series in the controlled portion of the scrimmage.

The Hornets’ only scores in the timed portion came on short fields after Lufkin turnovers. Those scoring drives started at the Panthers’ 38 and 45.

“We had some missed tackles and that comes with just having the reps and taking people to the ground,” Quick said. “We’ll get better at the tackling part of it. I was pleased with the number of people we played and you’re going to have to have that early in the year and have some depth in there.”

Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on the HISTORY section. There was an unexpected data dump of 60 years of game schedules and scores from 1952- 2016 ???. Thankfully I did find most (not all) of the old data backed up on another computer that I've not used in 8 or 9 years.  It will be a process, a little bit at a time, with the most recent first.  It is what it is and evidently there is no one else keeping the detailed data out there, so maybe with a little help I can get things back in 2 or 3 weeks.  The problem is I really don't know how much longer I'm going to do this work, frankly I'm not thinking past this year, then will reevaluate next year.  I'm at the time of my life when things are a little less certain than in the past.  Then again, no matter your age, what is really certain?  This will be my 23rd year in a row to do this site in some form or fashion, it's time consuming and it's an ALL volunteer effort. There is no second behind me, I'm all there is, and that's scary. LOL  My son who started the whole thing in 2002 has not been a part since about 2010 after he moved to Austin, he lives in Europe now. Thankfully, Lee Miller and MSPGR have done a great job of operating the LPS Forum site, LP Facebook and LP X since 2012.  Hope they will back up this information for the future when maybe I'm not be around to keep it up.  Stuff happens you know.  Anyway, didn't mean to get long winded, working on the history section if anyone ask. 

On 8/24/2024 at 12:27 AM, Mavchamp2017 said:

https://x.com/marshallmavs/status/1813970382145388717

Since you had asked about our new pressbox a while back....I though I'd give you an update.

The new visitor's locker room and the new ticket booths are completed in time for this season along with the new wrought iron entrance fences and welcome area.

After this season concludes they will start construction on the new home rest rooms and concessions area along with the "food truck area".  Stadium chairs are planned as well.

It's been a long process....a piece at a time.  But it's being done with no bond money in phases. 

MHS is getting a $40 million face lift and expansion right now...but that IS being done via bond.

-------------

LP has top notch facilities.  I've been to the baseball field and basketball arena.  You guys have a lot to be proud of.  

Marshall is able to do so much without a bond measure.  Things there will look nice and updated when finished. The difference between the money side of athletic expenditures and educational expenditures is a hot topic with public schools.  Lufkin did a fantastic job with their bond for the Panther Activity Center and new Baseball/ Softball Complex.  Much needed addition on the LHS campus. Lufkin was one of the very first in East Texas in 2005 to build a really nice indoor football practice facility and weight room, now almost 20 years later the new indoors schools are building are phenomenal, it's time to get our front again. Old ABE needs a facelift, the board may have some future plans there too, but I sure haven't heard any news to that effect. The board recently mentioned new fencing around ABE to match the PAC fencing, and that's all I've read about. Need a NEW press box badly, will see, but happy Marshall is working thing out for the better.