2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

This one intangible that impressed me the most. And really had me looking forward to seeing what he could do his junior, before the position change. I honestly wouldn't worry a bit if he got the majority of snaps at Qb Friday.

Looks like he trimmed down a few pounds too.

Lest we forget. Gavin Phillips was the QB of this current group when they were Freshmen, and were undefeated with 6 shutouts.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lest we forget. Gavin Phillips was the QB of this current group when they were Freshmen, and were undefeated with 6 shutouts.

Thats the version of them I would like to see. I hope Johnson can make his way back soon as possible. The kid is still raw and needs to get his feet wet soon. Hasn't played much since his freshman year. But if he has to be out a few weeks. Just let Gavin lead the team until he ready.  Gavin kinda reminds of Terrance Parks. Lufkin has actually done well with big guys lined up at Qb. Lets not forget Lane playing limited snaps against Longview, and Stubblefield was also pretty good. 

Gavin won't be phased. And I believe would relish the opportunity to show what he capable of at the position. Thats just the feeling I've gotten from watching him. 

The only way you beat Longview, is to match physicality with physicality. There is no way around it. And it's the one thing this program has lost over the years. You gotta have some dogs on your team. Gavin, Hoop, and Preston are certified in my opinion. I want to see the rest of the troops follow their lead. 

7 hours ago, timeout! said:

This one intangible that impressed me the most. And really had me looking forward to seeing what he could do his junior, before the position change. I honestly wouldn't worry a bit if he got the majority of snaps at Qb Friday.

Looks like he trimmed down a few pounds too.

He has worked really hard to get in the best shape he had been in. I think we will be just fine Friday night if they have to turn to him

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-struggle-in-scrimmage-against-huntsville/article_67aac04c-39bd-532e-92a8-5a48457a895e.html

“I’m not happy with our performance tonight. We’re a much better football team than what we showed,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “It’s a mental thing and we’ve had some success against each other in practice. I think this is exactly what we needed. Someone hit us in the mouth and we’ll fix it, move forward and we’ll be a different team next week.”

The wait is almost over...

The PACK open up the season against the LOBO's at Abe Martin Stadium this Friday Night. 

Ticket Info:
https://lufkinisd.hometownticketing.com/embed/all?fbclid=IwY2xjawE44YlleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHS3FMX122Jj9a9ULtp3eNSOz7z3BUw5u0xMhOaR5TyctSGc3bahBF4kJKg_aem_OaSr6WeEEB9tIgCP8RkASg

If you can't make it out to Abe, catch all the action LIVE on the Lufkin Gametime App or at www.lufkingametime.com .

45 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Gavin will also play some Friday night and if I'm a betting man. I would bet Gavin will take the majority of the snaps. 

As of now.. looks like they got Taylor as the backup to Coutee. I not sure who made that call but Gavin has had the most recent experience at QB and some of us know… he is a beast at it. Unless anything changes by the end of the week Gavin/Chinn will remain the starting RBs. I really hoped they would’ve atleast gave Gavin a shot at Longview because I think we have to him at QB to have a fully functioning offense on Friday. We will see though… maybe Coutee and Taylor passing game will improve enough through the week. 

42 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I just wanna know on what planet does someone watch Coutee at QB and think to themselves, yeah, he gives us our best chance to win. Just roll with Gavin 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

How long is Johnson supposed to be out? 

2 weeks maybe on Johnson

1 hour ago, CardiacPack said:

As of now.. looks like they got Taylor as the backup to Coutee. I not sure who made that call but Gavin has had the most recent experience at QB and some of us know… he is a beast at it. Unless anything changes by the end of the week Gavin/Chinn will remain the starting RBs. I really hoped they would’ve atleast gave Gavin a shot at Longview because I think we have to him at QB to have a fully functioning offense on Friday. We will see though… maybe Coutee and Taylor passing game will improve enough through the week. 

Defense is going to have to step up in a major way.

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I just wanna know on what planet does someone watch Coutee at QB and think to themselves, yeah, he gives us our best chance to win. Just roll with Gavin 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

How long is Johnson supposed to be out? 

You all know our OC knows exactly what gives this offense the best opportunity to win against Longview, because you know he has done it so many times in the last few years. 😐  Please don't get me started on that subject, SMH, and I can assure you we will be discussing this Friday night after the game. This has nothing to do with the abilities of Coutee or Taylor, and if this works out to be a win, then I'll give credit due and eat the wrapper that came with my sandwich.

1 hour ago, CardiacPack said:

So Kevo Taylor is the backup? That makes no sense if true. So you don't give the kid who spent TWO years playing Qb a look..not even as the backup. In favor of one of your starting WR? Hope they’re not trying to play political games instead of doing whats best for the team. I'll keep from talking about it anymore and just see what happens Friday.

1 minute ago, timeout! said:

So Kevo Taylor is the backup? That makes no sense if true. So you don't give the kid who spent TWO years playing Qb a look..not even as the backup. In favor of one of your starting WR? Hope they’re not trying to play political games instead of doing whats best for the team. I'll keep from talking about it anymore and just see what happens Friday.

Hopefully they change their mind by Friday..

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

You all know our OC knows exactly what gives this offense the best opportunity to win against Longview, because you know he has done it so many times in the last few years. 😐  Please don't get me started on that subject, SMH, and I can assure you we will be discussing this Friday night after the game. This has nothing to do with the abilities of Coutee or Taylor, and if this works out to be a win, then I'll give credit due and eat the wrapper that came with my sandwich.

Exactly. I mean, it’s almost like self sabotage to have an excuse. Idk. It may be a wet game, we have a crowded RB room so just work Gavin at QB running some options or whatever. Instead, I’m almost certain we’re gonna throw Longview a pick six and probably a scoop and score at some point. Poor defense. They’ll take the heat from people that don’t know the situation. First game of the season and the staff is already at it 🤣 

11 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Exactly. I mean, it’s almost like self sabotage to have an excuse. Idk. It may be a wet game, we have a crowded RB room so just work Gavin at QB running some options or whatever. Instead, I’m almost certain we’re gonna throw Longview a pick six and probably a scoop and score at some point. Poor defense. They’ll take the heat from people that don’t know the situation. First game of the season and the staff is already at it 🤣 

😂

And Gavin looked pretty good the one game he got some varsity reps. He's the only one I would trust not to be intimidated or nervous lining up out there Friday.

18 minutes ago, timeout! said:

😂

And Gavin looked pretty good the one game he got some varsity reps. He's the only one I would trust not to be intimidated or nervous lining up out there Friday.

You see that doesn't matter. That's not the way it works around here. Why do the logical thing? I've figured out a long time ago that making sensible moves in the football program is not always an acquired taste.

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You see that doesn't matter. That's not the way it works around here. Why do the logical thing? I've figured out a long time ago that making sensible moves in the football program is not always an acquired taste.

Doesn’t matter how talented we are. They ruin it. 

38 minutes ago, timeout! said:

😂

He’s the only chance we have. Unless the defense can come up with some scores themselves. 

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

This is what mean when it comes to managing a program. There are small things that add up over time. Johnson is an aggressive runner. So there is a chance he may miss some more time at some point. I would already have Gavin penciled in as his backup. Allow him to run a few packages during practice. I'd go as for as to have some wildcat formation for him. Just so he is ready if called upon. But they won't do that. They'll waste 2 or 3 crucial games trying to force something that doesn't work. Then turn to Gavin as a last ditch effort once it's too late. 

14 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I will say this, I do think Lufkin is capable of a strong running game, and Gavin Phillips is part of that formula, so is Chinn.  Coutee would not be a stationary QB either, and Taylor is lightening fast.  Just saying, the strength could surprisingly be in the Panther running game. Therefore maybe the thinking of keeping Gavin at RB and not QB.  There will be a definite game plan for Longview, there was little for Huntsville. You can also use Keandre Hooper and Waters out of the backfield , there are many more running options this year than we have seen in many years.  I would like to see Gavin at QB and Coutee at WR and see what the other RBs could get done. That's just me.  It's easy to have an opinion, doesn't hold much water and  I'm not carrying the clipboard, so there is no pressure on me. We'll see what happens, then we can talk about it.

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

I will say this, I do think Lufkin is capable of a strong running game, and Gavin Phillips is part of that formula, so is Chinn.  Coutee would not be a stationary QB either, and Taylor is lightening fast.  Just saying, the strength could surprisingly be in the Panther running game. Therefore maybe the thinking of keeping Gavin at RB and not QB.  There will be a definite game plan for Longview, there was little for Huntsville. You can also use Keandre Hooper and Waters out of the backfield , there are many more running options this year than we have seen in many years.  I would like to see gavin at QB and Coutee at WR and see what the other RBs could get done.  It's easy to have an opinion, doesn't hold much water and  I'm not carrying the clipboard, so there is no pressure on me. We'll see what happens, then we can talk about it.

I was impressed with Waters last year. He had a couple of good runs during the scrimmage. I'm ready to see what the coaches come up with. And you are right about Gavin at RB.