2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, LufkinPack said:

Every time we have one side of the ball figured out the other side has big issues. 

Too bad. Some RBs are going to need to step up now. SMH

3 minutes ago, LPPACK said:

27-0  we had young last year.gonna be bad,Nasty better take a xanax if he is broadcasting,or a double meat whataburger.

42-0 last year

Who are the other QBs in the program other than Coutee, who is actually a WR? Any possibility for any of the other QBs to step in and contribute?

22 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

That’s what I’m saying. How does a 5A D1 program not have another QB lol 

We still need to find out some things first. Luckily, they have the original QB that lead this group when they were freshman. He is a little bigger now, but he can play. 

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Livingston ISD is getting a really nice stadium upgrade.  The more these stadiums around us upgrade to todays standards the fewer playoff games Lufkin's Abe Martin will get here. This is a nice upgrade and not done with bond money but doing it through their school budget over the next 10 years, to pay for the athletic improvements which also include baseball/softball complex.  If you have never seen the Livingston High School, it's one of the finest looking facilities in all of East Texas.

https://www.kltv.com/2024/08/22/livingston-isd-plans-century-old-athletic-complex-expansion/

https://x.com/marshallmavs/status/1813970382145388717

Since you had asked about our new pressbox a while back....I though I'd give you an update.

The new visitor's locker room and the new ticket booths are completed in time for this season along with the new wrought iron entrance fences and welcome area.

After this season concludes they will start construction on the new home rest rooms and concessions area along with the "food truck area".  Stadium chairs are planned as well.

It's been a long process....a piece at a time.  But it's being done with no bond money in phases. 

MHS is getting a $40 million face lift and expansion right now...but that IS being done via bond.

-------------

LP has top notch facilities.  I've been to the baseball field and basketball arena.  You guys have a lot to be proud of.  

46 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin played a real simple look without two of its best defenders that will be available next week. Expect to see more from the defense next week. 

True . Let’s keep in mind you don’t really game plan for a scrimmage 

5 hours ago, Pack05 said:

True . Let’s keep in mind you don’t really game plan for a scrimmage 

I know for a fact Lufkin intentionally did not show much but only what they wanted Longview to see. The defense will show several different looks next week with several different coverages and not nearly as much subbing. Offensively Lufkin ran 7 plays last night. Just shuffled them around. Keeping it pretty basic. Zion ordered a new Knee brace and it didn't come in so he only played a few snaps. He's not hurt just didn't want to risk a freak injury. Big Hoop could have played but held him out for precaution. Hatton also did not play last night and he's a big part of the secondary. So that's 3 starters on defense that didn't participate last night. Hatton is in the doghouse and may not start against Longview. I remember in 2004 we got whooped up on by Humble in a scrimmage at Abe. I'm not worried about anything we saw last night outside of Johnson going down. 

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin isn't gonna turn it over 5 times in 2 quarters next week. Longview has there own QB problems to worry about. Lufkin will be more than capable with or without Johnson

The turnovers were forced, not necessarily by the defense. QB inexperience, the Int's were thrown right to the defender and at least one of the fumbles was a bad decision to not pull the ball from the RB and just take the loss. I saw bright spots with the OL and the run game, but as others have stated the passing game needs work. But in all fairness the one time I saw the QB tuck and run it was successful for a big gain. In scrimmages the QB is told to avoid the run. I agree with PN I think we'll be ok.

2 minutes ago, Dawg78 said:

The turnovers were forced, not necessarily by the defense. QB inexperience, the Int's were thrown right to the defender and at least one of the fumbles was a bad decision to not pull the ball from the RB and just take the loss. I saw bright spots with the OL and the run game, but as others have stated the passing game needs work. But in all fairness the one time I saw the QB tuck and run it was successful for a big gain. In scrimmages the QB is told to avoid the run. I agree with PN I think we'll be ok.

Limited game plan and plays. They will not put Coutee in that position next week if Johnson can't go. I would suspect they will let Coutee run the ball a lot more and possibly even Gavin taken snaps. 

We might have ran a simple version of our playbook but we didn't hide anything from the lobos. We have ran the same stuff for 10 years nothing we can hide. Longview is a top tier program they aren't playing us Friday they are playing themselves to get better. Kind of like it was here years ago.

Also I understand having a emergency qb but if we don't have a backup qb that can do the basic like hand the ball off it will be a rough year. We looked like our wr playing qb had never took a snap at qb. And that's not his fault that's on the coaching staff. We looked like a team with their 3rd or 4th option at qb. That ain't gonna work.