2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

That Lufkin D let an early score, they have gotten better. The O is running okay, Phillips the starter. Not running a two back set. Passing game ???   Not there yet. We are running a TE. Yay!

These announcers need to call the game and quit rabbit chasing.

Who is #10 MLB for Lufkin?  Where is Chinn?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

That Lufkin D let an early score, they have gotten better. The O is running okay, Phillips the starter. Not running a two back set. Passing game ???   Not there yet.

These announcers need to call the game and quit rabbit chasing.

Who is #10 MLB for Lufkin?  

#10 is David Lara started at LB alongside Hooper last year for the first half of the season .

Johnson needs to get those throws down, he is high on short passes or long on the deep passes. I think he will be okay with getting use to game speed, the experience can't be replicated in practice.

I don't want to say anything.  Huntsville had a scrimmage last week, this is their 2nd because they did not have spring football.  This is Lufkin first live action against another opponent. Might make a little difference.  

So far nothing to write home about, everything looks far too familiar.  We don't look ready to play Longview.    Doing stupid stuff like spiking the ball after catching a pass. 

27 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Johnson needs to get those throws down, he is high on short passes or long on the deep passes. I think he will be okay with getting use to game speed, the experience can't be replicated in practice.

Which is why I felt he should've started last year. I liked TJ and felt he left all on the field and done everything that was asked of him. But Johnson was gonna be the future and needed that year to adjust to varsity play. Yes..he would've had some struggles. But I'd rather he had taken his lumps last year and got the experience coming into this season. The trade off is he now has to use part of this season getting use to varsity play. 

1 minute ago, timeout! said:

Which is why I felt he should've started last year. I liked TJ and felt he left all on the field and done everything that was asked of him. But Johnson was gonna be the future and needed that year to adjust to varsity play. Yes..he would've had some struggles. But I'd rather he had taken his lumps last year and got the experience coming into this season. The trade off is he now has to use part of this season getting use to varsity play. 

Too late for that now, but your exactly correct, he should have started the rest of the season after the Longview game.

Huntsville has the better QB, he is well coached. Ours are never coached well. Johnson is out. Zion is out. The announcers know zero about Lufkin.  We never prepare a backup QB to function if needed.

No pass rush at all. 

Sorry, nothing about tonight stands out different than the last 2 or 3 years.   No way we beat Longview.  Very disjointed scrimmage showing to this point.   Huntsville is a great team, but we just don't look good tonight.   I guess Johnson is hurt.

Certainly happy to not make the trip to Huntsville to watch tonight. I don't put much into a scrimmage, but I did expect more from the Panthers. If I had any expectations to start the year strong they are mixed now.  Our guys have got to learn to win, not spike the ball after a catch, not get into scuffles after a play.  Want to see them live with ALL the starters.

Not worried about the defense, not worried about the OL or running game. The QB and passing game will be a work in progress.  There are big issues to fix there. Everything can be fixed.  Huntsville was no slouch, with a scrimmage under their belt.  Lufkin is going to get shutout 10-0 in live action and 2-0 in the controlled scrimmage.  

No Zion or Big Hoop tonight at all during the live portion. Hope Johnson is not hurt or they will have to figure something out pretty quickly. Maybe move Gavin back to QB. Gavin had some nice runs tonight but outside of that not much. I thought the defense played well all things considering during the live portion. Defense is going to be ok. Solid RedZone defense or this would have been 28-0. Having your QB go down on the second play like that really threw the offense off. As for the controlled portion outside the 1st drive the defense played well. Got a INT before giving up a TD with a lot of subs in. Huntsville has a solid team with an experienced QB and having already had a scrimmage I'm not surprised they looked sharper. I'm not throwing in the towel after a scrimmage where our QB goes out early and we're playing without our 2 best players on defense. Unless Johnson is seriously hurt we will be ok. I really wanted to see him in the live portion. 

It was just a scrimmage. But nothing about tonight tells me Lufkin will be ready for Longview. I know Longview had some struggles against Texas High, but I bet coach King has his guys ready next weekend. I can't say the same about Quick and our guys. 

Add in the fact that Johnson doesn't have much experience at the varsity level. Playing a well coached  Longview team is a big task. 

I think this season will be a work in progress. I can see us being really good the second half if everything comes together.

ON a positive note. I thought the O-line looked decent. 

28 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Certainly happy to not make the trip to Huntsville to watch tonight. I don't put much into a scrimmage, but I did expect more from the Panthers. If I had any expectations to start the year strong they are mixed now.  Our guys have got to learn to win, not spike the ball after a catch, not get into scuffles after a play.  Want to see them live with ALL the starters.

Not worried about the defense, not worried about the OL or running game. The QB and passing game will be a work in progress.  There are big issues to fix there. Everything can be fixed.  Huntsville was no slouch, with a scrimmage under their belt.  Lufkin is going to get shutout 10-0 in live action and 2-0 in the controlled scrimmage.  

Yeah I saw some things I liked from the run game. I think Johnson had some nice intermediate and short throws in the controlled portion. Not surprised they looked that bad when he went out. You obviously are not trying to run your QB in a controlled portion that why I was ready to see him in the live portion. As long as Johnson isn't out they will be ok next week. 

Defense definitely done well when you take all things into consideration. That Huntsville QB is good too. Stepp and company are high on them so we’ll see. If anybody here’s anything on Johnson, let us know please. Praying he’s ok. Offense is gonna be a work in progress with him. Without him, man alive.  

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Defense definitely done well when you take all things into consideration. That Huntsville QB is good too. Stepp and company are high on them so we’ll see. If anybody here’s anything on Johnson, let us know please. Praying he’s ok. Offense is gonna be a work in progress with him. Without him, man alive.  

No bueno