2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

37 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I'm asking a defensive question. My thought is building your defense to match the talent available on any given season. AKA, if you don't have a ton of good DL guys one year and more LBs, play a 3-man front, if you have more DL talent another year (like 2024), play a 4 - man front.  Just need to say, unless your 6-4, 320 lb DE is really quick, maybe that should be a consideration. I fully understand wanting to put your best lineman out there and guess if you have a couple of really dynamic edge rushers you can situationally rotate, it may work out.  I can't wait to see how it comes together with this group.

I've noticed lot's of HS teams have reverted back to 4 - man D lines in the past few seasons too. Trends always go back and forth through the years.

I do think a 4 man front is better for what Lufkin has this year. I think they have a lot of talent and bodies in the front 7 and that can make it hard to decide. I’m sure they have multiple fronts this year. If Zion isn’t properly conditioned to play DE. All this won’t matter. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I do think a 4 man front is better for what Lufkin has this year. I think they have a lot of talent and bodies in the front 7 and that can make it hard to decide. I’m sure they have multiple fronts this year. If Zion isn’t properly conditioned to play DE. All this won’t matter. 

I hear that conditioning thing about Zion all the time from people. Don't know one way or another about it myself. Do wonder why different people have mentioned that in different conversations over the past year. Haven't recognized it watching him play, probably just an assumption because of his size. I don't think Zion will have any problem hold up his end of the bargain this year.

the kid is going to LSU, conditioning should never be an issue for a P5 selection. Going to be another interesting football year around here.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I hear that conditioning thing about Zion all the time from people. Don't know one way or another about it myself. Do wonder why different people have mentioned that in different conversations over the past year. Haven't recognized it watching him play, probably just an assumption because of his size. I don't think Zion will have any problem hold up his end of the bargain this year.

the kid is going to LSU, conditioning should never be an issue for a P5 selection. Going to be another interesting football year around here.

I state it because he can’t maintain a high level of play down after down. P5 has nothing to do with it. His size will get the looks. SEC teams love having lineman like they. They will take care of anything his shape in college 

18 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I state it because he can’t maintain a high level of play down after down. P5 has nothing to do with it. His size will get the looks. SEC teams love having lineman like they. They will take care of anything his shape in college 

I agree

11 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Once remember our defensive lot had a guy that they,would not try to run to his side.I mean never,unless they didnt look at film.He had 3 guys on him at all times.Made the linebackers all district.Folks were scared to run his way,even Longview,and JT.Maybe we are in a new era,and im old school,but Lester Price would take control.

Have my same season tickets that I have purchased since 1988, served in the Sideliners from 1998 until we were disbanded during the pandemic, same time the district board took our sponsorships away. Anyway, a Panther  football season use to be exciting to anticipate every fall. However, like the old song says " I've lost that lovin feeling", I wouldn't say it's gone, gone, gone, but if my current excitement level about things are any indication, it's on life support. Anyway, I'm getting this outta the way before the scrimmage about a week from now, because I am anxious to see how this thing goes, with Longview on the horizon to kickoff the season.

Yea, Yea, I agree 100% this team has outstanding potential, these guys are a very talented group , they are ranked #19 to start the year. All good stuff, so I should be raring to go, right? That is not the case for me, how about you? Maybe it's missing the playoffs so much, or not winning when we do get there? Maybe it's this dog days of Summer hot weather, maybe its just getting older, or getting treated for cancer in 2022. That certainly changed my perspective on many things. Maybe I'm just tired if the same old, same old every year, cause in reality the Panthers have only been past the 2nd round twice in the last 17 seasons. That's reality.  It could be many things mix all together to create this blasé feeling. You see 17 years is a long time, I was a much younger man then. Frankly, the Lufkin fans have not been left with much to hold on to, its been 7 years since the program accomplished anything meaningful. Lufkin basketball, baseball and soccer programs have had better success over those years than the football program. Soccer even had a State Title in 2015.

My confession? I've lost faith in this football programs leadership to win, I've got to see it happen now, not hear them talk about it. Maybe this year will be different, but if the past results mean anything, don't make any bets just yet. Still believe the last three years results linger heavy in the air. Then there is the manner that Longview has kicked our ass in the last three meetings, last two beat downs with many of the same kids playing this year. Coaches just don't turn football winning on and off like a light switch, it's up to them to build and maintain a program at a high level. Regardless of what Quick says in the paper about high expectation and high standards for the program, unless he proves otherwise this year, his results to date do not indicate that has happened. 

All I can say is this is might be the best talent we have had in 17 years, that is yet to be determined. This better be one heck of a season for football with the talent this team processes. If not?, we know the pattern.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I think most of the Lufkin fans pretty much agree with you. Some are blinded by different reasons, but that pretty much sums it up for me.. My question is, what do we have beyond this group? Is this like our one and only chance anytime soon to win something? 

Well, we started out with 48 seniors, we are down to 45 now. Still, that's a bunch to graduate and replace for the next year. There will be a few starters returning. I think way back to the 2001 State team. They had 42 seniors on that team and everyone said 2002 would be a rebuild year, yet Terrance Parks led them to the 5A semifinals against Southlake. A game we should have won. Depends too how well they do this year and build toward next. I think this is a big push year for Quick, a last attempt with a talented group. I think changes will happen after this year.

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, we started out with 48 seniors, we are down to 45 now. Still, that a bunch to graduate and replace for the next year. There will be a few starters returning. I think way back to the 2001 State team. They had 42 seniors on that team and everyone said 2002 would be a rebuild year, yet Terrance Parks led them to the 5A semifinals against Southlake. A game we should have won. Depends too how well they do this year and build toward next. I think this is a big push year for Quick, a last attempt with a talented group. I think changes will happen after this year.

I can confirm the Wallace kid will 100% be back in Lufkin for his SR season. 

Most of you have probably missed the fact that Reggie McNeal JR transferred to South Oak Cliff from Houston Heights in the offseason. 

https://247sports.com/player/reggie-mcneal-jr-46115510/

No he didn't transfer here, he went to a top rated program where he can win a title.   He is not his father, no reason to try and compare them, JR is a pretty decent QB as far as I can tell watching some of his highlight videos. Not sure how good the competition was in that district.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16314165/Reggie-McNeal-Jr

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Most of you have probably missed the fact that Reggie McNeal JR transferred to South Oak Cliff from Houston Heights in the offseason. 

https://247sports.com/player/reggie-mcneal-jr-46115510/

No he didn't transfer here, he went to a top rated program where he can win a title.   He is not his father, no reason to try and compare them, JR is a pretty decent QB as far as I can tell watching some of his highlight videos.  Not sure how good the competition was in that district.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16314165/Reggie-McNeal-Jr

Honestly I don't think his kid would have started over Johnson here. He's definitely not his dad 

https://lufkindailynews.com/panthers-finish-up-first-week-of-workouts/article_bfd31516-2085-531a-a448-61ea500a8359.html

Lufkin has been in school since Aug. 7, so the Panthers have had some time during the school day to get acclimated.

Panthers’ head coach Todd Quick said those few days, along with good attendance for conditioning during the summer, definitely showed in the team’s first week back on the practice fields.

“We had such good attendance this summer, even though it’s been hot, it hasn’t really bothered them,” Quick said. “They’ve made it all the way through practice at a really high tempo. Even when we put the shoulder pads on Wednesday, we made it through. I’ve been real pleased with that.

“They’ve been real happy and it’s tough in the summer when everybody else is done and you’re coming up here, but they’re seeing the benefits of that now.”

Panthers’ wide receiver Krisean Preston and defensive back Ross Byrd were both ready to get back on the practice fields and are looking forward to getting the season started in two weeks against Longview.

“The week has been great and with all the work and conditioning we put in, we’re excited to get to go against each other,” Preston said. “Coach Quick has high expectations of us and we’re ready to get going on the season for him.”

Both players talked about the expectations going into the season.

“This week has been good, we’ve been working and we’re trying to get to the postseason,” Byrd said. “We haven’t made the playoffs since I’ve been in high school. We’ve worked all summer for this. We expect to make the postseason. We’ve worked too hard for it and we definitely want to get there.”

The Panthers have a week of work before a scrimmage at Huntsville on Friday.

The Hornets, who went four rounds deep in the playoffs last season, will provide a good test for the Panthers before the season opener on Aug. 30.

Huntsville went 4-2 in district play to finish third and made it to the regional finals before falling to Port Neches-Groves, who was the state champion last season in Class 5A Division II.

The Hornets, who had previously played their home games at Sam Houston’s Bowers Stadium, opened a new stadium in October of 2023.

“They’ll be a good test for us and we’ll get to play them in their new stadium,” Quick said. “They really did some forward thinking on the project and I know coach (Rodney) Southern is very happy with what they got done.”

Edwin Quarles’ email address is

edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

2 hours ago, CardiacPack said:

And now we start the countdown…

This is what lots of folks have waiting to see for couple years now.  You always hope the results moving forward meets the expectations. 

12 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

On3 ranked Longview the #16 team and in the nation. They had 5 Texas teams in the top 10. I believe they're using something like the old BCS formula to rank teams. After we beat them on the 30th I hope those computers have the same energy 😂 

16th is a little wild. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

16th is a little wild. 

DCTF have the Lobos at #31 in 6A. If you look at those same 6A rankings breaking them down to DII playoff teams, eliminating the DI teams, then their ranking would be in the # 14- 16 ranked neighborhood in DII. That's because some of those teams ranked ahead of them or even lower ranked teams, could end up in the DI or DII playoff bracket depending how they finish in district.

Then again, I don't put a lot of stock in rankings. 

38 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF have the Lobos at #31 in 6A. If you look at those same 6A rankings breaking them down to DII playoff teams, eliminating the DI teams, then their ranking would be in the # 14- 16 ranked neighborhood in DII. That's because some of those teams ranked ahead of them or even lower ranked teams, could end up in the DI or DII playoff bracket depending how they finish in district.

Then again, I don't put a lot of stock in rankings. 

We are talking nationally. Not state though. 16th in their division sounds appropriate. In the nation. No way

43 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

We are talking nationally. Not state though. 16th in their division sounds appropriate. In the nation. No way

It's a national ranking. I think they use the same formula as the BCS. I'll find the rankings and post them. On3 is the #1 recruiting service now. Same guy that started rivals and 247. We know how flawed the BCS formula was. 

50 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I understand. Put even less thought into National theoretical HS rankings. LOL

5 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

https://www.on3.com/high-school/news/high-school-football-preseason-top-25-team-rankings/

I imagine a Lufkin win will catapult us up somewhere in the rankings. All the talking will stop in 2 weeks. 

Well, the Lobos fans don't think so, but they have already built a small buffer wall just in case. Playing in Lufkin (as if playing in Longview is a picnic), they're never good with first games and breaking in a new QB. 

Of course the same could apply to Lufkin this year too, if we were playing in Longview. 

Ready for some Lufkin Panther Football? Make sure to download the latest version of the Lufkin Gametime App for both Android and Apple. The easiest way to watch and listen to LIVE coverage of Lufkin Panther Athletics.

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodbarber.lufkingametime2

Apple
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lufkin-gametime/id1667226647

Lufkin ISD Panther Ticket Sales Lufkin ISD Lufkin High School