2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Pack13 said:

I don’t think Hoop is moving positions. Zion moving to DE does not make sense to me. He is too big to play that position correctly. Even in an odd front. 

Hoop is not moving to OLB and I think we will see Zion and Alexander both play DT/DE this year. I think the pass rush is going to come from Hood this year. He looked really good this spring. He's had a good off season. 

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

They have depth but it's thinned out in the secondary. You can't replace a kid with as much experience as Mosley. It's a tough loss.

That's true as far as experience. Still do not understand the adverse reaction to simply moving from Safety to Corner. Evidently the coaches thought well enough of him to play that position, which is tougher IMO, because many times they are out there defending on an island alone.  A coach would need to have a lot of confidence in a player to place him in that position. Evidently the that was not the thinking from the Dad or player side of things.

Kedren Young, 6-0, 229 lbs, has put in some offseason work. Just goes to show when you have a certified strength trainer on staff you get better results than with just an regular football coach in charge. 

https://fightingirish.com/sports/football/

.https://fightingirish.com/roster/kedron-young/Image

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Kedren Young, 6-0, 229 lbs, has put in some offseason work. Just goes to show when you have a certified strength trainer on staff you get better results than with just an regular football coach in charge. 

https://fightingirish.com/sports/football/

.https://fightingirish.com/roster/kedron-young/Image

College nutrition plan helps a lot too. But most big schools have certified strength coaches now. Imagine what Lufkin would look like if someone developed that natural athleticism 

13 hours ago, Pack13 said:

College nutrition plan helps a lot too. But most big schools have certified strength coaches now. Imagine what Lufkin would look like if someone developed that natural athleticism 

ND RB coach talking about Kedren needing to lower his pads, running too upright, wasn't taught that in HS.  Sometimes I think we just have guys not teaching technique well here, SMH.

44 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

ND RB coach talking about Kedren needing to lower his pads, running too upright wasn't taught that in HS.  Sometimes I think we just have guys not teaching technique well here, SMH.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Kedren probably got away with some stuff because he was just that good. I think he will catch on quick in college. I’m looking forward to following his career 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

ND RB coach talking about Kedren needing to lower his pads, running too upright wasn't taught that in HS.  Sometimes I think we just have guys not teaching technique well here, SMH.

Just trying to find out who our coaches are,we been to school 3 days,and still dont know.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/former-lufkin-athletes-mcdonald-taylor-set-to-join-coaching-staffs/article_8ba51950-eeb6-5a3b-82a1-2af1f43da3e2.html

I do know that JaBryce Taylor has been hired to coach defensive backs group, teaching Physical ED at the MS.  He is new, so I assume Soderquist was the one who made the decision to move Mosley to CB. Then the exodus. It doesn't matter at this point, and I suspect there is more to the leaving than we know. I do remember Mosley trying to go to Corrigan before last season too, so you see this was nothing new. Supposedly he liked the track coach there.

Evidently the father doesn't think Lufkin is doing a good enough job getting colleges to recruit his son. On the other hand don't need folks on the team who want to flee anytime things don't go their way. 

Back to coaches, there will be 3 or 4 new coaches this year (including Taylor) for the football program, and baseball.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/former-lufkin-athletes-mcdonald-taylor-set-to-join-coaching-staffs/article_8ba51950-eeb6-5a3b-82a1-2af1f43da3e2.html

I do know that JaBryce Taylor has been hired to coach defensive backs group, teaching Physical ED at the MS.  He is new, so I assume Soderquist was the one who made the decision to move Mosley to CB. Then the exodus. It doesn't matter at this point, and I suspect there is more to the leaving than we know. I do remember Mosley trying to go to Corrigan before last season too, so you see this was nothing new. Supposedly he liked the track coach there.

Evidently the father doesn't think Lufkin is doing a good enough job getting colleges to recruit his son. On the other hand don't need folks on the team who want to flee anytime things don't go their way. 

Back to coaches, there will be 3 or 4 new coaches this year (including Taylor) for the football program, and baseball.

I think kids are far under recruited right now. Not make the playoffs has a part in that. But kids don’t seem to be getting the looks they should. I don’t get the leaving school though and transferring. 

13 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I think kids are far under recruited right now. Not make the playoffs has a part in that. But kids don’t seem to be getting the looks they should. I don’t get the leaving school though and transferring. 

I'm not sure about the recruiting process at Lufkin or which coach oversees that process. I thought someone told me one time Gunner Quick was the recruiting coordinator.

16 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I hate that he left but I understand you’re doing what you think is best for your future. Good luck to him. Maybe we’ll be good enough this season we won’t be using these things as an excuse 3 games in 😏🤣

I'm not good with this stuff and don't have a dog in this hunt. I've played sports all my life, the fact he tried to leave last year for Corrigan cause daddy wasn't happy, and the staff compromised for him to stay in Lufkin. Then another power move this year says a lot. I have my own feelings about our staff here, but it's not right trying to strong arm them because you want your way. Not thinking of team at all, a very selfish move IMO. I'm not thinking of his success in this aftermath one way or another. I'm solely focused on the Lufkin Panthers who are here to stay and play this 2024 season. That is all I'm about, cause I'm loyal.

6A Crowley ISD Multi Purpose Stadium.  The double decker stadiums are real popular right now.  These 6A schools have the tax base to pull off these stadium bonds.  

HP plays in the same stadium they have had since 1980, they have a great tax base. So not everyone is building new stadiums. Austin Westlake still in the same stadium since 1970. The exception is both have nice press box and ADA seating and steps.

Crowley ISD Multi-Purpose Stadium

Getting into sports we head over to Lufkin where I checked in with the Panthers football practice this afternoon. The guys are working hard in the heat preparing for the upcoming season.

https://www.ktre.com/2024/08/13/lufkin-panthers-football-team-excited-be-back/

“It’s just good to get back out here right now, said head coach Todd Quick. “You know, we’re out of the weight room, we’re back out here on the field, and kids are excited. They’re flying around. Everybody, everybody’s shooting for a starting position right now, and you got great effort all the way through. It’s great”

The dangerously high temperatures have caused problems for teams all over the nation. But according to Coach Todd Quick, the student athletes are prepared to deal with the heat.

“No, they’ve this group has really shown up,” he said. “These guys have prepared themselves to be able to do this and, now we’re taking precautions. We’re doing what we’re supposed to do, all the recommendations that we have. Make sure the kids we got water at all times. So, you know, you got to be smart with it, but they put in the time this summer to be able to handle this.”

The Lufkin Panthers who have had trouble getting in to post season play these past few seasons are looking to change that this year, because when it comes to Lufkin football, the bar is always set high.

“Well, we have high goals, high goals,” he said. “We always have goals, high goals. But this group has high goals for themselves and the team, and it’s a wonderful group, and we’re excited. We’re just excited to be here.”

Now Lufkin, who has a scrimmage coming up on August 23rd in Huntsville, will see their first real test on August 30th as the Panthers will take on the Longview Lobos at Abe Martin Stadium.

Copyright 2024 KTRE. All rights reserved.

8 hours ago, LPPACK said:

Are we gonna have enuff to play at the end of the year?

I'm guessing the weeding out process is ongoing. Anyone who has played knows the routine of coaches pushing and testing your grit to stick, both physically and mentally. The old saying, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".  Better to find out who's going to hold up to game adversity and be dependable NOW, than during the season.

I'm asking a defensive question. My thought is building your defense to match the talent available on any given season. AKA, if you don't have a ton of good DL guys one year and more LBs, play a 3-man front, if you have more DL talent another year (like 2024), play a 4 - man front.  Just need to say, unless your 6-4, 320 lb DE is really quick, maybe that should be a consideration. I fully understand wanting to put your best lineman out there and guess if you have a couple of really dynamic edge rushers you can situationally rotate, it may work out.  I can't wait to see how it comes together with this group.

I've noticed lot's of HS teams have reverted back to 4 - man D lines in the past few seasons too. Trends always go back and forth through the years.