2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

On 6/30/2024 at 6:32 PM, Pack13 said:

I’m just looking at legit concerns while some of are drinking the koolaid. Who is the backup qb? I don’t believe Lufkin has had the starting qb stay healthy a full season in a while. I like the versatility at running back but Chinn missed much of the spring with a hamstring pull as did many other players, what is with all those injuries? I think the receivers are great and talented but the ball has to get to them. Preston seemed to get thrown to once every three games last year. Will something be done to fix that. We heard last year the offensive line only looked bad because the defense was so good. Turned out not to be true. So why is it true this year? What have numbers looked like in summer workouts? What have they changed about their off season to develop players more? I haven’t seen many take steps towards improvement over the last few years. 

The injuries are a legit concern but I think there was a mixture of reasons why many of our guys had injuries. One of the main defensive guys had a wreck. They had Chinn doing powerlifting and track at the same time…which is a No No! He did end up making regionals in powerlifting but ultimately decided not to attend the regional meet and just focus on track… by that time the hamstring problems started. Ended up not being able to even finish the rest of track season because of the hamstring and thought it healed up…long story short.. ended up injuring it worst the day before spring ball. Had to give it a rest for 10 weeks which meant no spring ball. However he has been spending the summer strengthening and rehabilitating the hamstring and is back at 100%!! So he will be ready in August!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, mr. b said:

Haha.  What happened to the 3 time state champions. ?

Don't have a clue how all this process took place. Just know Quick has been looking diligently since realignment.

4 hours ago, CardiacPack said:

The injuries are a legit concern but I think there was a mixture of reasons why many of our guys had injuries. One of the main defensive guys had a wreck. They had Chinn doing powerlifting and track at the same time…which is a No No! He did end up making regionals in powerlifting but ultimately decided not to attend the regional meet and just focus on track… by that time the hamstring problems started. Ended up not being able to even finish the rest of track season because of the hamstring and thought it healed up…long story short.. ended up injuring it worst the day before spring ball. Had to give it a rest for 10 weeks which meant no spring ball. However he has been spending the summer strengthening and rehabilitating the hamstring and is back at 100%!! So he will be ready in August!

That’s good to hear about Chinn. I saw the video posted of him working out. Seems like some advanced stuff. Can’t wait to see it in the field 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Not surprised people are on Facebook complaining about the game. Some people just like to cry.

In this current World, social media is the rue for so much discontentment in folks. Most of what people think everyday is not based on any facts, but hearsay, opinions and spinning thoughts. Why I don't watch the news, listen to spinning experts or care for any politics. I use the good sense and knowledge the Lord gave me when I was born. He is always for you and never fails, humans on the other hand ????? Just look around. Draw your own conclusions. 😎

The Lufkin Panthers will still be here next season and the next. No matter if I'm still here or not.  No matter how this season turns out, no matter if there are coaching changes. Just saying, life is too short to get upset because a game is 3 hours away or the opponent doesn't look strong. There was too much effort done behind the scenes to get a game for some people to complain about it. It sure beats driving 4 1/2 hours over to Burleson. Happy Independence Day!🇺🇲🇺🇸

39 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Can't be any worse than playing Caney 

I would not over look them as a push over.  Arkansas 7A only has 16 teams total. SWLR play in a real tough district with Bryant, Conway, Cabot and Jonesboro. They also play Rogers in non district. Bryant won State 5 years straight between 2018-2022.  They beat SW 56-33 during the 2023 season. 

Then again, I don't put those top Ark programs in the same class as DeSoto, Aledo, Denton Ryan, Highland Park, Lone Star or even PAM. 

Just looking around at some of the 9-5A schedules I couldn't help but notice Barbers Hill has scheduled all 6A teams to play in non-district.  Their coach has been building that program as he did at Cedar Park.  BH starts the year with a scrimmage against 6A Shadow Creek, then play New Caney, Manvel, Deer Park and Richman Foster, an all 6A non district before they play Lufkin.  They will be more than prepared.

Lufkin on the other hand plays the usual 5A DII Huntsville scrimmage, then old rival 6A Longview, 5A DII Nacogdoches, 5A DI Tyler and Southwest LR (Ark 7A) as their testing board before district starts with BH.

PAM start out with Spring DeKaney, Spring Legacy, FB Hightower and  Cleburne in non district.

One other note about the Little Rock Southwest game.  The game this year will be played according to NCAA rules and next year will be played by Federation rules. At least that is what a couple have told me which sounds like this is a two year deal. I don't know if it's in Texarkana  both years or not. We have plenty of time to figure this out, let's just play this years game and deal with next year, next year.

35 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just looking around at some of the 9-5A schedules I couldn't help but notice Barbers Hill has scheduled all 6A teams to play in non-district.  Their coach has been building that program as he did at Cedar Park.  BH starts the year with a scrimmage against 6A Shadow Creek, then play New Caney, Manvel, Deer Park and Richman Foster, an all 6A non district before they play Lufkin.  They will be more than prepared.

Lufkin on the other hand plays the usual 5A DII Huntsville scrimmage, then old rival 6A Longview, 5A DII Nacogdoches, 5A DI Tyler and Southwest LR (Ark 7A) as their testing board before district starts with BH.

PAM start out with Spring DeKaney, Spring Legacy, FB Hightower and  Cleburne in non district.

Longview probably still the best team on the schedule of the 3 schools. Tyler might even be the second best team. I think we have two games that will test us. Games that we could lose if we don't come to play and two games that should absolutely be layups. If we can avoid the injury bug I think we will be more than prepared for district. 

With a number of offers from major Division I colleges, Lufkin’s Zion Williams announced his college commitment to LSU early this morning on X.

Williams, a senior 6-foot-5, 330-pound defensive lineman, announced his choice, saying that LSU felt like home and he respected the position coach he will have there.

“Coach Bo (LSU defensive line coach Davis) was the reason I decided to take a chance and go visit there and I really respected him,” Williams said. “As a little kid, I always thought LSU was cool, so I’ll go out there. It really caught me off guard and the area feels most like home to me.

01j1y42cakb9vyh2bjkg.jpg

“All these other schools have great people and great alumni, but LSU made me feel welcome. We had great conversations with everybody and I just got to enjoy myself. On top of that, Coach Bo is probably one of my favorite coaches because he’s just a genuine person. He is so honest, and I respect that so much.”

Williams had his list of schools down to four in early June with Texas A&M, Texas, LSU and TCU being the four he posted on X. He then narrowed his choices to LSU and A&M before ultimately picking LSU today.

“I got to those four and when I really sat down and got to thinking about it because at the end of the day these big Division I schools have the same resources and it was which one fits me the best and offers me the most,” Williams said.

Williams’ first college offer came from Texas Tech after his sophomore season, and other offers included Alabama, Florida, Baylor, USC and Michigan State to along with UT, LSU, TCU and A&M.

12 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

With a number of offers from major Division I colleges, Lufkin’s Zion Williams announced his college commitment to LSU early this morning on X.

Williams, a senior 6-foot-5, 330-pound defensive lineman, announced his choice, saying that LSU felt like home and he respected the position coach he will have there.

“Coach Bo (LSU defensive line coach Davis) was the reason I decided to take a chance and go visit there and I really respected him,” Williams said. “As a little kid, I always thought LSU was cool, so I’ll go out there. It really caught me off guard and the area feels most like home to me.

01j1y42cakb9vyh2bjkg.jpg

“All these other schools have great people and great alumni, but LSU made me feel welcome. We had great conversations with everybody and I just got to enjoy myself. On top of that, Coach Bo is probably one of my favorite coaches because he’s just a genuine person. He is so honest, and I respect that so much.”

Williams had his list of schools down to four in early June with Texas A&M, Texas, LSU and TCU being the four he posted on X. He then narrowed his choices to LSU and A&M before ultimately picking LSU today.

“I got to those four and when I really sat down and got to thinking about it because at the end of the day these big Division I schools have the same resources and it was which one fits me the best and offers me the most,” Williams said.

Williams’ first college offer came from Texas Tech after his sophomore season, and other offers included Alabama, Florida, Baylor, USC and Michigan State to along with UT, LSU, TCU and A&M.

I told you Book. Congrats Zion!!  Yall probably get Moore tho..

Geaux Tigers!! 

53 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Longview probably still the best team on the schedule of the 3 schools. Tyler might even be the second best team. I think we have two games that will test us. Games that we could lose if we don't come to play and two games that should absolutely be layups. If we can avoid the injury bug I think we will be more than prepared for district. 

I keep hearing about the injury bug. With 48 seniors, we should have some depth. The only spot that mildly concerns me would be Johnson at QB, although very confident in Phillips as backup and don't know much about Taylor, other than he has some wheels equal to Johnson. The issue putting those two at QB is you lose a RB/TE or a WR. 

Sort of like the Lufkin - Southlake game in 2005 where WR Ralph Thomas had to step in for starter Claybon after breaking his non throwing arm against Copperas Cove. Lost a good offensive WR weapon to play QB and DEZ couldn't do enough to compensate.   

Defense seems to have plenty of depth this year.  Again, we talk how well the OL performs and how that applies to the success of the overall offense.  It's just me, because I do not fully understand the  issues with building a decent O-line at Lufkin, even knowing the concept that the best lineman are played on the DL.  PN noted the last good line we had was 2017, and although we lost big a to Longview and THW during the regular season, that group came back and made a nice run to the Regional Final.  

PAM is loaded on defense with 9 returning starters.  Barbers Hill return 7 on offense and 5 on defense.  Pack is predicted to plenty of D clout this year returning 8 starters,  only 4 on offense according to DCTF, but you can see my point. PN stated, the OL looked better in the spring game against some pretty good defensive players, I too thought those OL kids had a good Spring game.   

In all team sports, success breeds success, and the kids on the team feed off that. A talented group challenges each other, even the OL guys. So from that view point, I'd say this particular 2024 group has all that going for it and good things are going to happen.

Correct me if I'm in error here. This will be the first time since their Freshman season together that these 2024 Seniors are back together as one group again.  They were undefeated as Freshmen together.  Any other thoughts here, or previous history of this group together before they were Freshmen?

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Correct me if I'm in error here. This will be the first time since their Freshman season together that these 2024 Seniors are back together as one group again.  They were undefeated as Freshmen together.  Any other thoughts here, or previous history of this group together before they were Freshmen?

Yes a handful of them played on AAU football team 12u that went two rounds in playoffs lost to a good ABN team out of Atlanta Texas that won the Superbowl in Florida. Elijah Alexander Kaden hooper Kaleb Preston Krisean Preston keundre hooper Quincy Court Michael Mosley  Ross Byrd Gaven Phillips  also boys and girls Superbowl champs that same year. Might forgot some kids names been a while 

I failed to mention in all the hub bub talk about finding a week three game that Wide receiver Krisean Preston is on the DCTF magazine’s Texas Top 300 list as one of the Best of the Rest at his position. 

20240704_141422.jpg

17 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I failed to mention in all the hub bub talk about finding a week three game that Wide receiver Krisean Preston is on the DCTF magazine’s Texas Top 300 list as one of the Best of the Rest at his position. 

20240704_141422.jpg

I have a feeling he is going to running wide open all season

3 hours ago, Lennie said:

Yes a handful of them played on AAU football team 12u that went two rounds in playoffs lost to a good ABN team out of Atlanta Texas that won the Superbowl in Florida. Elijah Alexander Kaden hooper Kaleb Preston Krisean Preston keundre hooper Quincy Court Michael Mosley  Ross Byrd Gaven Phillips  also boys and girls Superbowl champs that same year. Might forgot some kids names been a while 

Hood was also on that team. I'm pretty sure Coutee was also on that team. Lil Hoop was on their. Most of those kids also played Lane Express.