2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The State 7 on 7 Tournament will be next week in College Station.  There is not one team in the Division I field of 64 teams from 9-5A DI.  Interesting.

FYI - College Station and Tyler are there.

14 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The State 7 on 7 Tournament will be next week in College Station.  There is not one team in the Division I field of 64 teams from 9-5A DI.  Interesting.

FYI - College Station and Tyler are there.

I honestly can't remember the last time MHS participated in 7on7 SQTs. 

3 preseason ranked teams in our district: 

#10 Port Arthur Memorial 

#19 Lufkin 

#21 Barbers Hill 

22 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

3 preseason ranked teams in our district: 

#10 Port Arthur Memorial 

#19 Lufkin 

#21 Barbers Hill 

I was surprised that Galveston Ball wasn't in the mix since they do have a couple P5 players. Lufkin at #19 reflects more on the past three years and unproven  potential through the eyes of DCTF.  Thought Barbers Hill might be picked ahead of Lufkin because they had a good 2023.   Don't know much about that program, but they do speak about graduated talent and holes to fill for 2024. More later.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/17789560/Michael-Riles

Port Arthur Memorial - DE Michael Riles - 6-3, 235.  Ranked #3 by DCTF. Committed to Nebraska.

https://www.texasfootball.com/recruiting/players/michael-riles.8f8472a2?ref=rankings_list

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/17789560/Michael-Riles

Port Arthur Memorial - DE Michael Riles - 6-3, 235.  Ranked #3 by DCTF. Committed to Nebraska.

https://www.texasfootball.com/recruiting/players/michael-riles.8f8472a2?ref=rankings_list

He's committed to Oklahoma State.

2025 WR Semaj Pierre committed to Rice. 

2026 WR Keavon Roberts committed to UofH. 

22 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I was surprised that Galveston Ball wasn't in the mix since they do have a couple P5 players. Lufkin at #19 reflects more on the past three years and unproven  potential through the eyes of DCTF.  Thought Barbers Hill might be picked ahead of Lufkin because they had a good 2023.   Don't know much about that program, but they do speak about graduated talent and holes to fill for 2024. More later.

BH has some holes to fill more so than us and yall. They have to find a QB. They lost a proven one, he was good. 

I think Ball High has to prove last season wasn't a fluke being in that weak district they were in. 

9-5A D1 is listed as one of 3 districts in all of 5A to watch this season. 

I'll post some things tomorrow. Have a couple things taking up my time today so it will be tomorrow, so I can adequately present everything.

District order per DCTF: 

1. #10 Port Arthur Memorial 

2. #19 Lufkin

3. #21 BH

4. Galveston Ball

5. Baytown Sterling 

6. Beaumont West Brook 

7. Beaumont United 

Memorial returns the most lettermen off a young team (31), but Ball returns the most starters (8 on O, 6 on D). 

Zion Williams is also a nominee for the DCTF Whataburger Super Team.  

Defensive Tackle, Lufkin Panthers, Class of 2025, Status: Uncommitted

• State Rank:#23 ; Position Rank:#2

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I'll post some things tomorrow. Have a couple things taking up my time today so it will be tomorrow, so I can adequately present everything.

District order per DCTF: 

1. #10 Port Arthur Memorial 

2. #19 Lufkin

3. #21 BH

4. Galveston Ball

5. Baytown Sterling 

6. Beaumont West Brook 

7. Beaumont United 

Memorial returns the most lettermen off a young team (31), but Ball returns the most starters (8 on O, 6 on D). 

How many returning starters do the officially list us with?

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

How many returning starters do the officially list us with?

4 on O. 8 on D. 

31 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Thank you. I know for a fact the defense has 10 kids that at least started 1 game. Offensively I know all the WRs played significant snaps. QB should be significantly better. Excited for the season.

What’s the offensive line looking like this year in your opinion?

4 hours ago, Pack13 said:

What’s the offensive line looking like this year in your opinion?

They looked better than I thought they would in the spring. Don't expect them to be amazing but don't think they're gonna be bad. Having a QB that can get out of trouble won't hurt either. Ask me again after Aug 30th lol.

9 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

They looked better than I thought they would in the spring. Don't expect them to be amazing but don't think they're gonna be bad. Having a QB that can get out of trouble won't hurt either. Ask me again after Aug 30th lol.

This year's line must be better than the last 2 or 3 years if these guys are going to find real success. I'm still one of those persons who believes if a OL is coached and taught properly. Required to do the hard stuff, they will consistently be more adequate and functional every year. Back when Tommy Early was OLC, he didn't always have great athletes to build his OL, but he always got the best out of them. Don't remember a bad OL when he was coaching. 

That's just my 2 cents worth.

11 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

95% positive I have figured out the Arkansas team we're likely going to play. They're pretty good. 11x state champ. Hopefully they announce it soon and make it official 

Greenwood?? 

38 minutes ago, pimpthepen said:

whoever they play or they traveling to Lufkin or will the Pack travel there.

Neutral site game.

On 6/25/2024 at 10:15 AM, PackAttack said:

This year's line must be better than the last 2 or 3 years if these guys are going to find real success. I'm still one of those persons who believes if a OL is coached and taught properly. Required to do the hard stuff, they will consistently be more adequate and functional every year. Back when Tommy Early was OLC, he didn't always have great athletes to build his OL, but he always got the best out of them. Don't remember a bad OL when he was coaching. 

That's just my 2 cents worth.

It can't get any worse on the line. I think having Johnson is going to mask some of those weaknesses we may have. Although I thought the line was adequate in the spring. That was a really good defensive front they went against and thought they gradually improved throughout the spring scrimmages.