2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

21 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They pass the eye ball test that's for sure 

This was probably the only 7 0n 7 tourney they will play this summer. At least that seems to have been the pattern the past 2 or 3 years.   There is only this weekends group of Div I qualifiers left before the State Tourney in College Station on June 27-29.

https://www.texasfootball.com/7on7-qualifying-tournaments/?ref=subnav

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm more concerned with not having a week 3 game on the schedule, a real heavy hitter, whether we play them there or here or half way.  I know we have had some offers to play some pretty good teams and did not accept.  Hey, other than Longview in non district, how good will Tyler be or Nacogdoches, especially with the type talent we are suppose to be running on the field. 

Some say the district is not strong but I differ with that because Barbers Hill (9-3) and PAM (8-3) were ranked all last season, Galveston Ball was 9-2 in 2023 and 8-0 in district.  We know how good Longview will be and believe Tyler will be quite the challenge  for the Pack on the road.  We need a real good Week 3 opponent, someone that will get our attention.  It's looking more like the Pack will end up with two open weeks in 2024.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

You know I'm more concerned with not having a week 3 game on the schedule, a real heavy hitter, whether we play them there or here or half way.  I know we have had some offers to play some pretty good teams and did not accept.  Hey, other than Longview in non district, how good will Tyler be or Nacogdoches, especially with the type talent we are suppose to be running on the field. 

Some say the district is not strong but I differ with that because Barbers Hill (9-3) and PAM (8-3) were ranked all last season, Galveston Ball was 9-2 in 2023 and 8-0 in district.  We know how good Longview will be and believe Tyler will be quite the challenge  for the Pack on the road.  We need a real good Week 3 opponent, someone that will get our attention.  It's looking more like the Pack will end up with two open weeks in 2024.

I think the schedule is pretty comparable to last season. Barbers Hill has been solid these last two seasons. Tyler should have a strong team. Longview is Longview. Just need to get that week 3 together. Not sure what they're waiting on unless something big might open up. At this point you're getting teams that others teams didn't want to play in the area. Galveston Ball has a 5* safety. PAM is going to be a tough out.

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

So we turned down a week 3 opponent? Any reason why we didn't accept? Because it sound like we were scared of playing some tough competition. I hope that is not the reason.

4 minutes ago, timeout! said:

So we turned down a week 3 opponent? Any reason why we didn't accept? Because it sound like we were scared of playing some tough competition. I hope that is not the reason.

Can't answer that other than an agreement or parameters of playing did not fit one or the others criteria.  There is more than just agreeing to play.  Had an offer of a game with 6A El Paso Coronado, they wanted to play in San Angelo. Also from Eagle Pass, things did not work out in either case and then those two ended up scheduling each other in non district.

They have had some interest from a couple 3A programs in LA, of course those games would  not be good, might as well play Diboll.

The search continues daily, never say never I guess.

11 hours ago, timeout! said:

I think it's the complete opposite. The teams that have reached out would be overmatched. Eagle Pass and Coronado would have been bad. I think they're looking for a tough game.

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I think it's the complete opposite. The teams that have reached out would be overmatched. Eagle Pass and Coronado would have been bad. I think they're looking for a tough game.

That is exactly the reason. Should have made myself clear earlier.  No one is trying to duck anyone, Quick is trying to find a really good match up, not just a game with anyone to fill a slot. Especially if it doesn't help the team get better.

23 hours ago, PackAttack said:

That is exactly the reason. Should have made myself clear earlier.  No one is trying to duck anyone, Quick is trying to find a really good match up, not just a game with anyone to fill a slot. Especially if it doesn't help the team get better.

Lobo07 was saying some heavy hitters where still looking for some week 3 games. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Would definitely like a quality opponent. Just don't know what is all out there in state that makes sense. I have no doubt we can get a heavy hitter from out of state but just curious who in state is still looking for a week 3? 

42 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Lobo07 was saying some heavy hitters where still looking for some week 3 games. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Would definitely like a quality opponent. Just don't know what is all out there in state that makes sense. I have no doubt we can get a heavy hitter from out of state but just curious who in state is still looking for a week 3? 

Well, if Lobo07 has a list he needs to list them, he lives in Richardson area, so he may know. I've scoured the schedules of many of the top teams in 6A and 5A to see if any have any current schedule openings and have not found any. Not saying there is not someone out there that needs a game, can't spend all my time searching through 400 plus teams schedules. At some point you must narrow that search down to no more than a 250 mile radius.  Don't have a clue about any possibilities for out of State teams.

34 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, if Lobo07 has a list he needs to list them.  I've scoured the schedules of many of the top teams in 6A and 5A to see if any have any current schedule openings and have not found any. Not saying there is not someone out there that needs a game, can't spend all my time searching through 400 plus teams schedules. At some point you must narrow that search down to no more than a 250 mile radius.  Don't have a clue about any possibilities out of State.

What is the cutoff date to schedule a week 3 game before season starts?

I reached out to the guy that schedules big OOS games and he told me Mater Dei is interested in speaking with Lufkin and hosting us week 3. I passed along coach quick information. We have a good team but I'll be honest I don't know how I feel about this one 😂. Mater Dei has a game scheduled in Hawaii for the 14th so I'm guessing that game is in limbo now. Probably shouldn't play a team like that. 

44 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I reached out to the guy that schedules big OOS games and he told me Mater Dei is interested in speaking with Lufkin and hosting us week 3. I passed along coach quick information. We have a good team but I'll be honest I don't know how I feel about this one 😂. Mater Dei has a game scheduled in Hawaii for the 14th so I'm guessing that game is in limbo now. Probably shouldn't play a team like that. 

No level playing field playing a team like Mater Dei. We learn nothing playing them, play in Cali????  No

Wanted to speak a little about the State 7 on 7 Tournament. This use to be a bigger deal for schools. When Lufkin hosted a SQT over about 6 or 7 year stretch, 16 teams would come from all over to play here.  The Tyler tourney last week had 12 teams, they use to have 16 teams too.  When you look at the all the SQTs that have been played to date, and this is the last weekend to qualify for 5A and 6A. There are many big names not going to be at State, in fact there are many elite 11 man playoff programs who either do not participate in an SQT or did not qualify to be at the State Tournament.

There will be no Aledo, North Shore, Southlake Carroll, Duncanville, South Oak Cliff, Port Neches Groves, Lancaster, Forney, Longview, Katy or anyone we will play in the new 9-5A district will be there. 

Lufkin only played the one SQT in Tyler and did not qualify.  Lufkin has only played in the Tyler tourney the last three years that I know. Many schools have their own 7 on 7 leagues they play in, the travel is easier and you have less funding to worry about. It's expensive to attend many of these tournament with a $300 entry fee, plus travel and food cost, uniforms and gear to outfit a team.  The UIL does not allow booster clubs to fund non school sports activities, that money must be raised by the kids or donated by parents or local sponsors. 

I remember 20 years ago when Odessa Permian came to the State Tourney someone had donated the use of their giant Black RV coach to transport the team there, and they had this huge black OP tent set up with padded folding chairs to sit in. Had water cooler set ups with fruit trays and such. They had lots of fans too, all decked out in OP gear and sitting under their own personal tents.  

Here was Lufkin going to the tourney in rented vans, they had carried the Purple Panther pop up canopy. a couple coolers of water and Gatorade, sitting in camp chairs. Lufkin kicked OP tail by 4 scores., but they lost in comfort. LOL

The 7 on 7 State Tourney will continue for a long time, there are just too many schools in Texas not to have enough teams to participate. They have Div I. Div II and Div III and they will have a full schedule down in College Station in a couple weeks. They just won't have some of those big names there that I have mentioned above. There are some schools today that don't put a premium on being in College Station any longer.  The bigger prize for them is in the regular football season, plus so many kids are going to camps during this time, maybe making visits to colleges. It's sometimes hard to get the whole 7 on 7 group together. Then there's the injury factor in 7 on 7 to think about too.  

If you have ever been to a State Tournament, you must be a football enthusiast or a family member of a player because it's a hot couple of days, there's lot's of walking, parking is terrible, no shade.  Then again, 7 on 7 is an acquired taste. There is a football involved, it's played on a 45 yard field, QB has to throw the ball in 4 seconds, 15 yards for a 1st down, no pads, no tackling and the games are only about 30-40 minutes long.  Most of the time you can't keep up with the exact scoring.  Then you drive home in sweaty clothes and realize you could have been doing something else that didn't cost you a one night hotel stay, a tank of gas, a few rounds of overpriced food and walking a mile to find your truck to drive home.  Anyway, we are a little more than 2 months away from some real football, a scrimmage against Huntsville.  DCTF magazine should be here soon, and we will see what they have to say about the Panthers, what they believe the Pack will accomplish this year in District 9-5A and in Region III in general. Will be interesting to see what have to say.  

This is not football but I'm sure people read where the UIL made the change for split divisions Div I and Div II for the playoffs in all other sports of baseball, basketball, softball, soccer and volleyball starting in the 2024-2025 school year.

Lufkin’s enrollment of 2,159 is the highest in District 10-5A, where the Panthers will compete in basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball, and is almost 800 more than Jacksonville (1,391) — the smallest school in the district.

With Lufkin being the biggest school in the district, the Panthers know they will be in the Division I bracket in the postseason.

However, the decision by the UIL will have an effect on Lufkin as the postseason structure will change, specifically with the elimination of state semifinal games being part of the state tournament and the elimination of regional tournaments for volleyball, basketball and soccer.

District 10-5A

Lufkin (2159), Tyler (2101), Texas High (1826.5), Nacogdoches (1818), Mount Pleasant (1562), Marshall (1498), Hallsville (1492.5), Whitehouse (1477) and Jacksonville (1391).

Lufkin ISD school board has their sight set on school attendance this year.

Superintendent James Hockenberry said, “We’re verifying the indicators that we need to build revenue projections and our budget, and that process will be ongoing and continual.”

Revenue projections are closely monitored, with a focus on student attendance, particularly dual enrollment, and its impact on attendance rates.

Last year, Lufkin ISD’s attendance was 93 percent.

Hockenberry said each year it’s important to project student numbers and attendance rates for the upcoming year.

“Are we going to project a 93 percent attendance rate, a 95, a 92, a 90, or you pick a number, but what you want to do is to pick a number that you can depend upon,” said Hockenberry.

District enrollment stood at just over 7,000 students in fall 2023, dropping to about 6,800 students by the end of May 2024, with an expected further decrease of 200 students.

Hockenberry said the district wants to achieve a 95 percent attendance rate.

As for specific strategies to boost attendance and enrollment, the school board plans to tackle that at a later date.

Lufkin ISD enrollment in 2004 was 8257 under David Sharp.  Unbelievable that the district has lost over 1200 students through the years. I'm sure there are many factors. My hope is Hockenberry can rebuild the district back.  Enrollment in public schools are down all over the State.  Most have never recovered from the pandemic shut downs.