2024 Lufkin Panthers Baseball

12 hours ago, Lp81 said:

I've been told ... hitting the baseball isn't as easy as some would think... as to "can't hit the baseball last 2-3 years... 2 years ago Lufkin had a pretty good hitting team.. if i remember correctly one player even hit .500?

Trust me, I know what it takes to hit a baseball lol.. Last time I remember us having a really good hitting team was when ditsworth, Flores and company were seniors. Either way, it’s no secret Cobb coaches very conservative in the box and just wants his kids to take pitches. I’ve watched us lose so many game the last couple of years because we couldn’t plate 2-3 runs. Bases loaded with 0 outs and wouldn’t plate a single run. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happen to make Cobb having a change of heart to not to step down after Ditsworth-Flores and Co. graduated?

I can hardly watch them, the pitch taking with runners on base??, not taking  opportunities to drive runs is so frustrating for me to watch. Then again they have won a lot of games playing that conservative style. So what do I know?

Lufkin Baseball with a big 4-0 win in Lufkin over a ranked New Caney Porter team to move to 3-0 in district play and 10-5 on the year. Complete game shut out by Austin Linsey.

Lufkin blanked Dayton 10-0 on the at home tonight. Pack are now 11-5 and 4-0 in district play. Panthers will be at home against Kingwood Park on Friday.

Baseball update, Kaleb Hillis hits a 3 run HR in the bottom of the 6th inning against Kingwood Park to tie the game 8-8. Now headed into the 7th inning.

Lufkin scores in the bottom of the 8th to take a huge 9-8 district win over Kingwod Park here in Lufkin. Lufkin is now 5-0 in district and 12-5 on the year. Panthers play Huntsville ths Friday at home- 6:30 PM start.

46 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Baseball update, Kaleb Hillis hits a 3 run HR in the bottom of the 6th inning against Kingwood Park to tie the game 8-8. Now headed into the 7th inning.

Watched the whole game. Lufkin earned that one against a good team. Lufkin has a solid team.

1 minute ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin scores in the bottom of the 8th to take a huge 9-8 district win over Kingwod Park here in Lufkin. Lufkin is now 5-0 in district and 12-5 on the year. Panthers play Huntsville ths Friday at home- 6:30 PM start.

They play Longview tomorrow at noon in a non district match. Not sure if that one will have some type of broadcast 

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

They play Longview tomorrow at noon in a non district match. Not sure if that one will have some type of broadcast 

Thanks

On 3/15/2024 at 5:57 PM, PurpleNation said:

No Big Nasty? 

And why do we keep showing bunt with 2 strikes? Maybe someone more strategic in the game of baseball can help me out. 

it's a 2 strike approach ...which if done correctly can help the hitter with the pitch timing.... putting the ball in play... sort of like choking up just to make contact?

Lufkin pitching has some depth this year.  Hitting is timely, they manufacture runs. Not a ton of hitting power with this team, but they have been that way most years except for a coupe years ago.  Can't argue with 6-0 in district in a fairly competitive baseball district.

16-5A 2024 Standings

District Overall
  W L   W L T
Lufkin Panthers 6 0   14 5 0
Kingwood Park Panthers 4 2   16 5 0
Porter Spartans 3 3   17 4 1
Huntsville Hornets 3 3   11 8 0
Dayton Broncos 1 5   9 12 0
Nacogdoches Dragons 1 5   4 14 1

4 hours ago, Lp81 said:

it's a 2 strike approach ...which if done correctly can help the hitter with the pitch timing.... putting the ball in play... sort of like choking up just to make contact?

Works well when defense is in a shift too which is extremely common when a batter is at 2 strikes. I’ve personally never been a fan of bunting with 2 strikes but if it works it works. 

Lufkin Panther Baseball keeps on rolling with a 9-1 win on the road tonight at Nacogdoches. This puts the Pack in solid 1st place in 16-5A at 7-0 and 15-5 on the year.

18 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin Panther Baseball keeps on rolling with a 9-1 win on the road tonight at Nacogdoches. This puts the Pack in solid 1st place in 16-5A at 7-0 and 15-5 on the year.

I think early on we didn't realize some of those games they lost were to some really good teams. 

Looking as if 16-5A is a pretty tough baseball district.

16-5A 2024 Standings

District Overall
  W L   W L T
Lufkin Panthers 7 0   15 5 0
Kingwood Park Panthers 5 2   17 5 0
Huntsville Hornets 4 3   12 8 0
Porter Spartans 3 4   17 5 1
Dayton Broncos 1 6   9 13 0
Nacogdoches Dragons 1 6   4 15 1