2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

52 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I want to talk a little bit about Coutee at QB. We are so fortunate to have him, the Panthers would not be where they are at 5-1 this point of the season without him.  With Johnson not able to shake the injury bug, Coutee has done a yeoman's job stepping into a tough roll.

Let's not forget, he is a WR playing QB, everything has been managed very well for him to be as successful to this point, even more so with Preston out. With some very tough and important games ahead, it's important to realize that the Lufkin defensive play, the potent running game and really good special teams play has helped the game be less complicated for Coutee.  He is not a typical QB, he has managed, and coaches have managed things well up to this point of the season. The off week should allow him to get even more comfortable in the QB  roll, because now, we know this is his place the rest of the way.  For him it is more important than ever that the WRs run their routes correctly, then there should be less issues for him. There have been a couple times that has not happened that have resulted in a couple INTs.  As long as the three components above (defense, running game, special teams) keep operating at a high level, Coutee will not need to carry the Pack offense with the passing game.  Preston's return will help him a lot, and having two other dynamic WRs in Taylor and Hooper, really make it less complicated for him, he just needs to get the ball in their hands and let them go.  Coutee has not been forced to pass much, not sure how that would look if we had to do more of that in our offense. Do you feel there are limitations if that has to happen??  I guess we will find out and cross that bridge when they get there, if it happens at all.

Do not know the extensiveness of Johnson's surgery, it would be good if he could can return by the Ball game and possible be there in a back up roll. 

I don't think he has any limitations at this point. I feel like he can run the entire playbook. I think having him in there has really developed our option game. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coutee gets my vote for team MVP right now. He made some nice grabs at WR against BH and then came back in and finished the job at Qb. He has been the glue that has held this team together on that side of the ball. I'll also give a shout out to Lil Hoop at WR. He has come on nicely helping to fill the void left by Coutee and Preston. And the offensive line has held up a lot better than I expected this year. 

9 hours ago, timeout! said:

And the offensive line has held up a lot better than I expected this year

The O-Line, the unsung heros for the success of skilled players. When the O goes badly the OL takes the heat for it, when they do a great job, we praise the skilled guys.  We have been the hardest on the Lufkin OL play the past few years, losing does that, lot of hard work playing in those trenches just to get beat on by those mean D Lineman all game long. No, the OL play has not been it's best these past years. This year's Panther OL to this point has been able to sustain a consistent level of play. Far be it for me to grade their efforts to this point, but looking at 5-1 seems like  a positive. For me, I'm wanting to see them put a few Memorial Titans or Ball Tornados on their ass when it counts the most.  I can't name a single one on that 2024 OL this year, not like the Max Taylor's or Jamar Ballard, Rex Hadnot, Don Mulhbach or Erick McCoy, those former Lufkin OL guys we all remember. Of course Mulhbach played 20 years in the NFL, Hadnot 9 years and McCoy is still snapping for the Saints. Hopefully, before the year is out i will be able to know their names better. Who will be the next Lufkin OL player to join the illustrious list above?

Not many remember OL Everett Little (6-4, 280) from Lufkin who played in 1970-71, he went to U of H, and then to Tampa Bay in 1976. He passed away in 2022 at 68.

Not a great deal to speak about this week. Its HOMECOMING WEEK for Lufkin, so you can expect the festivities of that this  game. Fortunate to be playing Baytown Sterling for HC, as Lufkin is a +40 point favorite.  Think last year HC was Forney?  

Coming off a BYE week your hoping to have smoothed out some wrinkles and honed in on how the team wants to finish these last 4 games.   Getting as healthy as possible is key too, the only one I know that could possibly return this week is WR Krisean Preston.  We already know the long term health status of Kaden Hooper and Javion Johnson.

Baytown Sterling started the year 2-0, then lost to Baytown Lee 26-17 before dismantling a really bad 0-6 Houston Chavez team 56-0. Since then they have lost to Ball 45-0 , Barbers Hill 65-7 and BWB 26-9 in district. The question mark here is they had a significant 35-7  win over @ Galena Park their 2nd game of the year. Galena Park is in 2nd place in District 10-5A DI and could be a potential playoff opponent for the Panthers. Anyway, District 10-5A DI is not ranked high as a district as a whole, Houston Waltrip is the highest ranked team @ #69. Galena Park #84.

Lufkin doesn't need to look past Sterling and should cover the +40 spread headed into next weeks showdown with PAM.  Get the work in and be healthy for the next week.

Should be a very cool evening, perfect football weather for a change.  It's refreshing to feel good about the Panthers right now, although there is still a long way to go, they haven't won anything yet, still need to win the the big games on the road to make it stick.