2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

9 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Lufkin was getting going when a lot of other programs were. We just so happen to be great when the freakin Southlake Carroll dragons were growing and becoming great. If only we coulda got past them those years. We would have 4 state championships to our name. That alone puts you in an upper tier and your legacy survives longer. We would be more remembered from people outside of Lufkin had we just converted those great years to titles. Instead we have 1, with a handful of what’s only remembered as “great runs” and disappeared. A lot of programs that were becoming dominant when we were are still standing today. A lot factors into that, we all know. Lufkin is at a disadvantage that I don’t think fans of those other perennial powers understand. We don’t get transfers, we don’t have the numbers. Just regular class kids home grown. We get what we get. We’ve been battling a shrinking school district and football program for 15 years. We lost a great coach when we didn’t expect to. We thought we made the right decision afterwards. It went the other direction. Where we failed miserably was never even attempting to fix it. Nobody said winning didn’t come with tough decisions. We decided friendships were more important than winning. Hey, maybe they are. I’m thankful for this group this year, and their parents and other volunteers that have put in work with these kiddos over the years that have put them in position to accomplish something great here. That’s where it starts and what’s what it takes to be winners. Here’s to a great rest of 2024 though for the Pack 🍻 

Well said, and a lot of truth.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Lufkin was getting going when a lot of other programs were. We just so happen to be great when the freakin Southlake Carroll dragons were growing and becoming great. If only we coulda got past them those years. We would have 4 state championships to our name. That alone puts you in an upper tier and your legacy survives longer. We would be more remembered from people outside of Lufkin had we just converted those great years to titles. Instead we have 1, with a handful of what’s only remembered as “great runs” and disappeared. A lot of programs that were becoming dominant when we were are still standing today. A lot factors into that, we all know. Lufkin is at a disadvantage that I don’t think fans of those other perennial powers understand. We don’t get transfers, we don’t have the numbers. Just regular class kids home grown. We get what we get. We’ve been battling a shrinking school district and football program for 15 years. We lost a great coach when we didn’t expect to. We thought we made the right decision afterwards. It went the other direction. Where we failed miserably was never even attempting to fix it. Nobody said winning didn’t come with tough decisions. We decided friendships were more important than winning. Hey, maybe they are. I’m thankful for this group this year, and their parents and other volunteers that have put in work with these kiddos over the years that have put them in position to accomplish something great here. That’s where it starts and what’s what it takes to be winners. Here’s to a great rest of 2024 though for the Pack 🍻 

Pretty much nailed it. I've alway taken pride in knowing our guys are homegrown. We have worked, walked school halls, attended church, or lived in the same neighborhoods with many of the players parents. So we really have a connection to those kids. A true community supporting the team. I remember working with a couple of guys from the DFW in the early 00's. And they swore that Lufkin was good because kids from the smaller towns transferred in. Guess they were self projecting what goes on up there..😂

My hope is that this group can get things back going. Leave something for the kids coming up to shoot for and reset the expectations here. The past few years have just been to get into the playoffs and before that it was to win a 1st round game. I think the current group expects a lot more and that's a good thing. Quick won't be the man for much longer. It would be nice to leave the program with some momentum for the next guy.

While Lufkin will never have kids moving schools to the level the DFW schools have. I truly believe their home grown talent is greater than most of those schools. You look inside programs like Aledo and south lake. They win at every single level of their programs. Those team expect state championships. They develop those kids. Lufkin has the potential to get back there. They just need to figure a few things out. 

On 10/8/2024 at 11:42 AM, Pack13 said:

While Lufkin will never have kids moving schools to the level the DFW schools have. I truly believe their home grown talent is greater than most of those schools. You look inside programs like Aledo and south lake. They win at every single level of their programs. Those team expect state championships. They develop those kids. Lufkin has the potential to get back there. They just need to figure a few things out. 

Well, any moves to that effect would require some radical changes at LHS. Someone willing to come in to build the sports programs to consistent competitive levels with all sports especially football. IMO basketball, volleyball and baseball are doing well right now. Football THIS year, that has not been the case the past 4 years.

Football is still King in Texas HS sports. You can ask folks 2 or 3 years from now who won a HS basketball or baseball Championship and they couldn't tell you. People do remember winning HS football programs, championships are worthy enough for a towns to decorate billboards, water towers, murals on buildings, have parades and become legendary conversations around local feed and hardware stores. In small towns, State Champions have a place in the history of that town their entire life. They talk about old whomever player making that championship TD run back in 1980 or in our case 2001.

Don't know, we may be in the last throws of the great HS football years in Texas, with all the heightened transfers and possible NIL creeping in, definitely not as things have been the past 50 or 60 years.

Just going to enjoy this year first, then see where the future leads afterward.  I suspect changes to the program will come sooner than later, it depends on what that change looks like too.

I think with the pieces we have coming back next season and what I’ve heard about a few that will be coming up, we can be decent again. It’s the 2 seasons after that, that are a big concern for me. Maybe if we have a new staff by then, kids can be coached up. I’ve heard the middle school has some dudes right now but that’s too early to talk about. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I think with the pieces we have coming back next season and what I’ve heard about a few that will be coming up, we can be decent again. It’s the 2 seasons after that, that are a big concern for me. Maybe if we have a new staff by then, kids can be coached up. I’ve heard the middle school has some dudes right now but that’s too early to 

Looking two years down the road for me now is tricky. I realize more than ever its the now that is most important, and the tomorrows.  Everyone hopefully realize that sooner than later in thier lives. There will be definite changes ahead for the Panther program in one form or another, Quick won't be here forever. For me at this point in my life, the direction of the Panther football program is non sequential. It really is a one year at a time for me now. So this year mean alot more now, than attempting to look too far into the future.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Looking two years down the road for me now is tricky. I realize more than ever its the now that is most important, and the tomorrows.  Everyone hopefully realize that sooner than later in thier lives. There will be definite changes ahead for the Panther program in one form or another, Quick won't be here forever. For me at this point in my life, the direction of the Panther football program is non sequential. It really is a one year at a time for me now. So this year mean alot more now, than attempting to look too far into the future.

I hear ya. I don’t really think about the future much anyways. Too many unknowns for me lol.. I’m not half the fan you guys are anymore. I never go to games, I won’t be there during the playoffs either. I’ve grown wayyyy too accustomed to sittin in the shop on Friday nights streaming the YouTube channel with a drink in my hand 😅

Dave Campbell Football has made their WEEK #7 First Round Playoff Projections for District 9-5A DI Region III:

W9 Galveston Ball vs F10 Houston Spring Woods

R12 College Station  vs T11 Humble Kingwood Park

W10 Galena Park vs F9 Barbers Hill

R11 La Porte vs T12 Pflugerville Weiss

W11 Angleton  vs  F12 Austin Anderson

R10 Houston Sterling vs T9 Port Arthur Memorial

W12 College Station A&M Consolidated  vs F11 Crosby

R9 Lufkin  Vs T10 Houston Waltrip

So in Week #7 - DCTF is projecting 9-5A DI to finish, #1 Galveston ball, #2 Lufkin, #3 Port Arthur Memorial and #4 Barbers Hill.

Big game this week between BH @ PAM , sure means a lot to both teams.  Then  two weeks after, BH plays Galveston Ball the same night the Panthers play down at Memorial.   These next three weeks could either rearrange a lot of cards for folks or the current pattern stays on a collision course to that final game down in Galveston.

Week 7 - DCTF Texas High School Football: 5A DI Computer Rankings -  District 9-5A DI out of 129 teams.

#10 - Galveston Ball (6-0)  up +4

#14 - Lufkin (5-1)  up +1      

#17 - Barbers Hill (4-2)  up +2

#18 - Port Arthur Memorial (4-2) down -5

#64 - Beaumont West Brook (2-3)  up +1

#72 - Beaumont Untied (2-3)   same

#84 - Baytown Sterling (3-3)  down -10

Other Panther 2024 OPPONENTS:

#13  - 5A DII Huntsville (3-2)  down -1

#23 - 6A Longview (3-2)  up +10

#74  - 5A DII Nacogdoches (3-2)  up +1

#36 - 5A DI Tyler (3-3)  up +1

If you notice in those computer rankings, BWB went up +1 spot after losing to Lufkin, just as BH went up +1 spot after losing to Lufkin.  Now on the other hand, Lufkin stayed at #15 after beating BH, didn't move at all, and only went up +1 after beating BWB on the road.  I can guarantee if Lufkin had lost to BH or played a much closer game with BWB, DCTF would have dropped Lufkin down like a boulder.  PAM got beat 41-10 and only dropped -5 spots.  

Lufkin started the year at #21, fell to #24 after the Longview loss, then back to #17 after Nacogdoches, remained the same after LRSW, moved to #15 after Tyler, remained there after BH, and now to #14 after BWB.

What does DCTF see or perceive that I or we do not?

FYI -Little Rock SW is now 0-5 after losing 42-26 to Cabot, Ark.   This week may be interesting when LRSW (0-5) plays North Little Rock (0-6 )who lost to Pulaski Academy last week 47-0.  Someone is going to get their first win, I'm pulling for LRSW.

Before I talk anymore football, it's very important to myself to ask all of you for prayers for the people of Florida and this new disaster Milton headed their way. they have hardly began their cleanup and sand removal from Helene, and here comes another storm.  Some of us remember the category 2 and category 1 damage to East Texas back in 2005 and 2008 with Ike and Rita, let's not forget how much damage occurred around here just 3 months ago with the little Tropical Storm that came through here.  It cost me a couple days of clean up and $1275 for tree limb removal and cutting high up that I could not reach myself.  That amount is pocket change to what these folks in Florida have lost and are about to lose more. 

Let us not forget the help and prayers needed for those people and families in North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.  Catastrophic damage in that area that will never be the same again. Whole town gone, 20 feet of mud covering everything, people swept away in their own homes, folks stranded on mountain tops with no food or water or anything for weeks. Have been through that area a couple times, many beautiful quaint towns located in that river valley.  All gone now.  I can't even imagine. Interstate 40 will be closed until 2028??   I read where the chances of this happening like this was .001% in 1000 years.  Please pray for all of these people who are in harms way or suffering to recover what they have lost or to find loved ones who are still missing. Maybe contribute to a fund of your choosing to help those folks in need right now.

Made a contribution to Samaritans Purse because I read they were one of the very first on the ground to help. https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/pra

High Five to Walmart who sent 47 tractor trailer loads there right away and have followed up with that many more truck loads since, Samaritans Purse and Walmart were just two that arrived to help faster than FEMA.    Please keep praying. Thank You

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

If you notice in those computer rankings, BWB went up +1 spot after losing to Lufkin, just as BH went up +1 spot after losing to Lufkin.  Now on the other hand, Lufkin stayed at #15 after beating BH, didn't move at all, and only went up +1 after beating BWB on the road.  I can guarantee if Lufkin had lost to BH or played a much closer game with BWB, DCTF would have dropped Lufkin down like a boulder.  PAM got beat 41-10 and only dropped -5 spots.  

Lufkin started the year at #21, fell to #24 after the Longview loss, then back to #17 after Nacogdoches, remained the same after LRSW, moved to #15 after Tyler, remained there after BH, and now to #14 after BWB.

What does DCTF see or perceive that I or we do not?

FYI -Little Rock SW is now 0-5 after losing 42-26 to Cabot, Ark.   This week may be interesting when LRSW (0-5) plays North Little Rock (0-6 )who lost to Pulaski Academy last week 47-0.  Someone is going to get their first win, I'm pulling for LRSW.

They probably have trust issues with Lufkin 🤣.. But seriously, if you’re not named Longview or Carthage, they don’t care about East Texas. I think they low key root against most of us out here. 

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

They probably have trust issues with Lufkin 🤣.. But seriously, if you’re not named Longview or Carthage, they don’t care about East Texas. I think they low key root against most of us out here. 

I figured as much. LOL

By Week 6 there are certain trends that develop that are a constant with teams. I believe these top 4 teams are your playoff teams, the order TBD. With Lufkin it is the consistency of their defensive performance, and maybe what can't be measured is the success they have had on offense playing without their starting QB for the most part, and two really good WRs, one who is playing QB.  The other trend is that Galveston Ball has exceeded all expectations for them through 6 games with a very potent offense and a very stingy defense. Their 5 star guy William's is not the only talent on that team. PAM has shown to be up and down with inconsistencies showing through in certain games on offense and defense, mainly with good teams. They kind of remind me of Lufkin the past two years.  Barbers Hill was going strong until they played Lufkin, they get two key players back on offense that will compliment Morton, BH will be someone to watch down the stretch and in the playoffs. Of course we played them without 3 or 4 key players as well, so IMO things probably evened out.  BWB is a tough and feisty group, they will be someone to deal with next year for sure. I don't know what is going on at United, they are not having a good year. Sterling started out strong against poor competition, then hit the skids hard these first two district games. They are ranked lower than United, I'm not convinced they are that bad.

Anyway, after this week is one of these Top 4 teams are going to be 1-2 in district play.  Lufkin has been there before, it's a tough row to hoe to get back when you get in a hole early.  West Brook plays Sterling this week and has a good chance to win and be 1-1 in district.  Of course they still have PAM, Ball and BH to play, so the percentages are a little against them.  I am betting they give PAM a run for their money playing in Beaumont in two weeks.  Ball plays @ BWB too. Stranger things have happen.

Opponent W-L-T PCT PF PA W-L-T PCT PF PA Streak
Ball 2-0 1.000 86 10 6-0 1.000 254 60 6W
Lufkin 2-0 1.000 61 17 5-1 0.833 216 63  
Barbers Hill 1-1 0.500 79 39 4-2 0.667 251 117  
Port Arthur Memorial 1-1 0.500 44 41 4-2 0.667 215 141  
West Brook 0-1 0.000 3 29 2-3 0.400 87 106  
Beaumont United 0-1 0.000 0 34 2-3 0.400 54 151  
Sterling 0-2 0.000 7 110 3-3 0.500 157 163

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Dave Campbell Football has made their WEEK #7 First Round Playoff Projections for District 9-5A DI Region III:

W9 Galveston Ball vs F10 Houston Spring Woods

R12 College Station  vs T11 Humble Kingwood Park

W10 Galena Park vs F9 Barbers Hill

R11 La Porte vs T12 Pflugerville Weiss

W11 Angleton  vs  F12 Austin Anderson

R10 Houston Sterling vs T9 Port Arthur Memorial

W12 College Station A&M Consolidated  vs F11 Crosby

R9 Lufkin  Vs T10 Houston Waltrip

So in Week #7 - DCTF is projecting 9-5A DI to finish, #1 Galveston ball, #2 Lufkin, #3 Port Arthur Memorial and #4 Barbers Hill.

Big game this week between BH @ PAM , sure means a lot to both teams.  Then  two weeks after, BH plays Galveston Ball the same night the Panthers play down at Memorial.   These next three weeks could either rearrange a lot of cards for folks or the current pattern stays on a collision course to that final game down in Galveston.

Id be shocked if we don't win district. I think BH finishes 2nd , Ball will be third and PAM will be fourth. 

Q & A with Coach Todd Quick: Lufkin Daily News

Sports editor Edwin Quarles held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Monday afternoon. The Panthers (5-1, 2-0) played their first District 9-5A DI game on the road last Friday and took a 29-3 win over Beaumont West Brook. The win was the fifth straight and the streak has resulted in the Panthers being ranked No. 10 in Class 5A Division I in this week’s Dave Campbell’s Texas Football state high school rankings. The Panthers have a bye this week and will host Baytown Sterling Oct. 18.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_7e6197c6-cc39-5d8f-ade6-d91b4cef96c9.html

Q What does it mean to the team to be off to a 2-0 start in district play going into the bye week? How are you adjusting to being on fall break this week?

A It’s good to get off to that start in district, and after six weeks it hits pretty good for us and gives us a chance to work through some little problems. It gives us a chance to get back to being as close to healthy as we can. We come back after being off this week and we’re at home next week. We can’t use this week as an off week. It has to be a work week, but we’re just not playing.

Q The offense moved the ball well against West Brook, gaining more than 400 yards, but had some chances to score some more and missed a couple of opportunities in the red zone. What can you do to work on avoiding that?

A A lot of that is a focus thing and you have to be able to finish those drives. We had a turnover and we had some breakdowns on fourth down that would have continued those drives. That’s just staying focused and being intent on what we’re trying to do. We talked to the kids about having a work week this week and getting back to being able to play next week. That’s just a matter of doing things right on those downs.

Q The defense had another good game, including a stop on fourth and goal and holding West Brook to just three points. How did you feel about how the defense played, including going against their quarterback Tammeron Anderson, who had a good game running the ball?

A We had a couple of tackle problems and we didn’t make some tackles. We got our hands on him, but he’s tough to guard. But it all comes back to being focused and locked in on what you’re trying to do and not relaxing no matter the situation. Great teams do that, no matter who you’re playing or where you’re playing. That’s just how they play and we’ve got to work on that part of it and get back to that and have a good work week.

Q Kenneth Waters and Ke’Vondrick Taylor made big plays again last week with Waters scoring on a 90-yard run and Taylor on an 84-yard pass. What does having those two guys mean to the offense?

A You’ve got to get those guys the ball and find different ways to get them the ball. I thought Kenny (Waters) did a great job. He was the one with what we were trying to do and giving it to him and let him run it inside. He’s gotten a whole lot better running between the tackles. He’s not real big, but he’s got good speed and he’s hitting the ball up in there. Getting the ball to Ke’Vondrick on the punt return, kick returns and other ways to get him the ball, you’ve got to do that. You’ve got to get him the ball. You’ve got to get the playmakers the ball.

Edwin Quarles’ email address is

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Id be shocked if we don't win district. I think BH finishes 2nd , Ball will be third and PAM will be fourth. 

I'm liking how your thinking.  Think I have a good bead on our PAM matchup , Ball is a tougher one for me to figure because of their big win over PAM.  By the last week of the season everyone will probably still have some maneuvering to do, barring any unforeseen collapse or injury that could steer a teams finish differently.  Lots of big football yet to play.

DCTF Game  Projections  for Week # 7 - 9-5A DI:

Barbers Hill (3-2) at Port Arthur Memorial    Port  Arthur Memorial favored by +3

Galveston Ball (6-0)  at Beaumont United (2-3)    Ball favored by +34

Beaumont West Brook  (2-3) at Baytown Sterling (3-3)    West Brook favored by +4

Lufkin  -  Open Week

2 hours ago, timeout! said:

Something that shouldn't go unmentioned, is Coutee improved play at Qb. This is also his first year playing the position on varsity. He had some struggles during the scrimmage, which is understandable. But has really started to settle into the position. I think we have yet to see the best version of him at Qb. 

Couldn't agree more; however, would have loved to have seen him @ WR and Johnson at QB together and with Preston, Taylor and Hooper IMO, would have been unstoppable! The small glimpse we saw of this looked really good. To your point I agree Coutee has done well and continues to get better. 

We already know Big Hoop will not able to play the rest of the year. Preston will return at WR soon. As far as Johnson, either someone texted me, told me somewhere out and about that he could return in 6 weeks after surgery, which could be the last game of the year????  Thought PN said here he was out for good.  This year's team could use him if he is totally healthy, the team next year will really need him too.  I'm not an Orthopedic surgeon so don't have a recommendation here. What I do know is they insert a metal pin or a screw plate to stabilize the bone so it can grow back together. That's the time table and it's not his throwing shoulder. Coutee has been phenomenal, the Panthers would not be where they are today with out him. How thankful we all should be right now. Tough call headed down the stretch, just real happy Coutee has been there.

4 hours ago, timeout! said:

Something that shouldn't go unmentioned, is Coutee improved play at Qb. This is also his first year playing the position on varsity. He had some struggles during the scrimmage, which is understandable. But has really started to settle into the position. I think we have yet to see the best version of him at Qb. 

He's just getting warmed up. 

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

We already know Big Hoop will not able to play the rest of the year. Preston will return at WR soon. As far as Johnson, either someone texted me, told me somewhere out and about that he could return in 6 weeks after surgery, which could be the last game of the year????  Thought PN said here he was out for good.  This year's team could use him if he is totally healthy, the team next year will really need him too.  I'm not an Orthopedic surgeon so don't have a recommendation here. What I do know is they insert a metal pin or a screw plate to stabilize the bone so it can grow back together. That's the time table and it's not his throwing shoulder.  Coutee has been phenomenal, the Panther would not be where they are today with out him. How thankful we all should be right now. Tough call headed down the stretch, just real happy Coutee has been there.

Id be stunned if we see Johnson again but if the doctor clears him before the year is over. Maybe we could see him in a emergency situation. I feel bad for the kid but I know he will bounce back.