2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

16 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

It starts with the parents in youth football. Lufkin has to do a better job getting kids prepared for the future. The current state of youth sports in Lufkin is not good. Between piney woods and LYFL the competition is absolutely pathetic. We have to get our kids exposed to a higher level at a younger age but we don't have a travel team any more. 

Until the parents are willing to travel and spend money this will continue to be a problem. It's no coincidence this group is better than years past. They were exposed to a higher level coming up. 

I’m glad someone said it. Ken is trying to clean that league up a certain way but they need to worry about finding tough competition too. I know two guys whose kids will go to Lufkin but they play on a travel football team out of the Carthage/Timpson area during the summer and fall. Lufkin youth league is laughable 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I’m glad someone said it. Ken is trying to clean that league up a certain way but they need to worry about finding tough competition too. I know two guys whose kids will go to Lufkin but they play on a travel football team out of the Carthage/Timpson area during the summer and fall. Lufkin youth league is laughable 

Until they get a legitimate travel team then they're just spinning their wheels. Both leagues are terrible when it comes to competition. I'm not giving anyone credit. Roy Gardner needs a ton of credit for this current group of SRs. I don't think they would be in this position without him. 

11 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Until they get a legitimate travel team then they're just spinning their wheels. Both leagues are terrible when it comes to competition. I'm not giving anyone credit. Roy Gardner needs a ton of credit for this current group of SRs. I don't think they would be in this position without him. 

Roy still around Lufkin? 

I brought up how Barbers Hill doesn't let kids where dreads to school and the one BH fan did not like that. Called me a race baiter lol even though I'm multi racial myself. That school district is just a little different. Our players have been told by a coach they will probably here some derogatory comments made by the BH players tonight outside of earshot from the refs. Can't say that I'm surprised. That school and fanbase just gives off that vibe. I'll ask my son after the game if he heard anything crazy. If not I will comeback and apologize to the BH fan base. They also think the JV score will mean something tonight. I have a feeling we're gonna drill these guys tonight.

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I brought up how Barbers Hill doesn't let kids where dreads to school and the one BH fan did not like that. Called me a race baiter lol even though I'm multi racial myself. That school district is just a little different. Our players have been told by a coach they will probably here some derogatory comments made by the BH players tonight outside of earshot from the refs. Can't say that I'm surprised. That school and fanbase just gives off that vibe. I'll ask my son after the game if he heard anything crazy. If not I will comeback and apologize to the BH fan base. They also think the JV score will mean something tonight. I have a feeling we're gonna drill these guys tonight.

They give me Whitehouse, Tx vibes 

38 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I want to welcome back to Abe Martin  stadium my old classmate, teammate and quarterback of our team Chris Cauley. He is an assistant coach for Barbers Hill. His dad was our head coach and athletic director Ed Cauley 

Alton Dixon is DB coach for Barbers Hill.

6 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

They give me Whitehouse, Tx vibes 

Worse then that. I haven't seen a kid kicked out of school at Whitehouse because he has hair a certain way. They said it has nothing to do with dreads but length so the kid braided it up and put it in a bun and they said well it's still to long because if he didn't have it in a bun it would come past his shoulders. Weird place. I'm thankful my son doesn't have to deal with that at Lufkin. He has long dreads and no one has ever said a thing to him. 

9 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Barbers Hill HS is 64% White, 25% Hispanic, 3.7% Black and 3.3% two or more races.

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Worse then that. I haven't seen a kid kicked out of school at Whitehouse because he has hair a certain way. They said it has nothing to do with dreads but length so the kid braided it up and put it in a bun and they said well it's still to long because if he didn't have it in a bun it would come past his shoulders. Weird place. I'm thankful my son doesn't have to deal with that at Lufkin. He has long dreads and no one has ever said a thing to him. 

That’s part of why I send my kids to Lufkin. I don’t live in that district but I refuse to allow my kids to grow up so closed minded. As a white man, I’ll say those mostly white schools have some wild mentality at times. Zero preparation for society when they have to leave that bubble. 

15 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

That’s part of why I send my kids to Lufkin. I don’t live in that district but I refuse to allow my kids to grow up so closed minded. As a white man, I’ll say those mostly white schools have some wild mentality at times. Zero preparation for society when they have to leave that bubble. 

We have many friends who home school their kids and I think the very same thing.  

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

We have many friends who home school their kids and I think the very same thing.  

I respect everyone’s decision. We all try to do what we think is best for our kids. I’ll be perfectly honest. If my kids weren’t in advanced classes and the GT program I’m not sure how I’d feel. Lufkin middle school is a problem. I’ll leave it at that lol 

7 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

I respect everyone’s decision. We all try to do what we think is best for our kids. I’ll be perfectly honest. If my kids weren’t in advanced classes and the GT program I’m not sure how I’d feel. Lufkin middle school is a problem. I’ll leave it at that lol 

I know all the full renovations and new builds are not open yet, I thought the new design there was to improve and alleviate many of the old problems in the MS?  This city needed three separate MS, but we know after this new construction that is never going to be anytime soon.  LISD is has a real different approach when it comes to their MS concept compared to other districts their size.   It's an economics situation too, available buildings and such to use and not waste.

19 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I know all the full renovations and new builds are not open yet, I thought the new design there was to improve and alleviate many of the old problems in the MS?  This city needed three separate MS, but we know after this new construction that is never going to be anytime soon.  LISD is has a real different approach when it comes to their MS concept compared to other districts their size.   It's an economics situation too, available buildings and such to use and not waste.

The new facilities look great! That’s for sure. Other than that, same ol middle school. 

On another note, you guys got your pink shirts ready for tonight?? 🤣 @PurpleNation

Not sure why I'm saying this, but while drinking coffee this morning I had this thought out of nowhere, that Gavin Phillips was going to have a big game tonight for the Panthers.  I've spoken before about the feelings I get about games or situations in the past, so this was this morning. However, about the game as a whole. this week has been filled with more uncertainty than confidence.  This has happened to me for years with games and have only been off a few times, there's no control over how I feel those situation or why.  This game will be tight IMO and will come down to TOs and who plays the best defense.  Johnson needs to have a good game with no TOs.

2 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

The new facilities look great! That’s for sure. Other than that, same ol middle school. 

On another note, you guys got your pink shirts ready for tonight?? 🤣 @PurpleNation

No pink in my wardrobe, out of luck. Besides October is that month and not September!   

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

I don't have a problem with people wanting the best for their kids. I don't care if you're white, black, brown or purple. Just don't raise your kid to be a dingle berry and that for all races. It's just obvious what's going on at BHISD but I digress we have football tonight and for that I'm thankful. 

24 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Not sure why I'm saying this, but while drinking coffee this morning I had this thought out of nowhere, that Gavin Phillips was going to have a big game tonight for the Panthers.  I've spoken before about the feelings I get about games or situations in the past, so this was this morning. However, about the game as a whole. this week has been filled with more uncertainty than confidence.  This has happened to me for years with games and have only been off a few times, there's no control over how I feel those situation or why.  This game will be tight IMO and will come down to TOs and who plays the best defense.  Johnson needs to have a good game with no TOs.

Gavin may not be putting up the rushing numbers yet but he is impacting the game with  his blocking for Waters. He is doing a phenomenal job in that department