2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️UPDATE!!!!!‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️ 

https://www.lufkinisd.org/2024/09/11/lufkin-panther-football-is-on-the-road-this-week/

WE ARE THE HOME TEAM!!! 

PLEASE DOWNLOAD A FREE ADMISSION TICKET IF YOU ARE TRAVELING THIS FRIDAY TO TEXAS HIGH. 

STADIUM RULES IN COMMENT SECTION! 

LINK BELOW 👇 
https://www.texastigerathletics.net/HTtickets

Lufkin High School Lufkin Panther Sports Lufkin Band Boosters JAM Digital Media/ Lufkin Gametime Lufkin High School Cheer Booster Club Lufkin ISD

Well folks, here we are in Week 4 of the season, counting the scrimmage.  We were all so anxious to get things started for 2024 just a few weeks ago looking forward to the Huntsville scrimmage.   I always tell my friends who are in a hurry for the season to begin to cam down and slow down because once the season starts it's all downhill from there.  The HS season overall is the shortest of them all, it will fly unless you can make a playoff run to stay in it as long as the college teams.

So as we ponder how this week may turn out in Texarkana, and how our trip to Tyler will go next week. The season will be technically half gone as we head into district with Barbers Hill.  At this point you have to make every snap count, there is no turning back or time to lose at this point.  There is no game to give away or time to take your foot off the gas pedal. It's all or nothing now.  This is also the last run for most of these senior kids playing football as a Lufkin Panther.  

As we get older and the seasons pass us by, you start to realize how fleeting time is because there becomes so many years of memories pushed together. Then you see the kids you watched play 20 -30 years ago as adults now and you say, I was their age when I watched them play.  I do not take seasons for granted anymore, my seasons as a Lufkin football fan are narrowing quick, in reality it is for all of us because there are no guarantees.  There are several people of various ages I knew well, who are no longer here to attend games this year.  Some were excited  to see this team play this year, but they will never know or does it matter to them now.  Don't know how this year will end, hope it ends a better year than the past three or four, although it will not be the end all for me as I have viewed those things in the past.  I'm in a much different place in life now.  It's not about me at all, it's about these kids having success and great memories playing as a Lufkin Panther, because that only comes around once in their life.  These next 8 games will determine more for them than for me, and God willing I can be there to support them for as long as they are in the mix, and  hope that can be a long run. Take nothing for granted. Go Pack!

https://www.ktre.com/2024/09/12/lufkin-panthers-rallying-towards-out-of-state-battle-with-little-rock-southwest/

Head Coach Todd Quick and the Lufkin Panthers head to Texarkana friday for their third game of the season against Little Rock Southwest.

“They’re very talented..,” Quick said. “...They’ve got a lot of speed and a lot of quickness.”

The Panthers so far throughout this season have been stout defensively, forcing five total turnovers and only allowing seven total points through two games.

“The biggest thing is that they’re rallying to the ball,” Quick said. “...You choose to stay blocked or get off the block, and we’ve been getting off blocks and rallying to the ball.”

But their biggest test of the season comes on friday against a Gryphons’ team that plays fast on both sides of the ball.

“Defense really, really rallies to the ball..,” Quick said. “...Quarterback is really good player, really athletic. He has a knack for making people miss and still looking downfield while he throws the ball.”

The Panthers and Gryphons meet at Texas High’s Tiger Stadium for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff on Friday, Sept. 13th.

Quick is saying these guys are a bigger test than Longview??  They lost last week 49-0. Sounds like someone is trying to lay a carpet just in case things don't fall just right.

35 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

If they actually have great team speed we are in trouble because we don’t. All that to say pack by 70

They are sitting a few starters this week, taking JV players along.  Depends how much preparation and importance the coaching staff has put on this game to win it big or to just win.  

13 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Is Johnson starting this week? 

Couple of folks said earlier he got some work this week, Coutee looked like he was the guy preparing with the team.

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

https://www.ktre.com/2024/09/12/lufkin-panthers-rallying-towards-out-of-state-battle-with-little-rock-southwest/

Head Coach Todd Quick and the Lufkin Panthers head to Texarkana friday for their third game of the season against Little Rock Southwest.

“They’re very talented..,” Quick said. “...They’ve got a lot of speed and a lot of quickness.”

The Panthers so far throughout this season have been stout defensively, forcing five total turnovers and only allowing seven total points through two games.

“The biggest thing is that they’re rallying to the ball,” Quick said. “...You choose to stay blocked or get off the block, and we’ve been getting off blocks and rallying to the ball.”

But their biggest test of the season comes on friday against a Gryphons’ team that plays fast on both sides of the ball.

“Defense really, really rallies to the ball..,” Quick said. “...Quarterback is really good player, really athletic. He has a knack for making people miss and still looking downfield while he throws the ball.”

The Panthers and Gryphons meet at Texas High’s Tiger Stadium for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff on Friday, Sept. 13th.

He can't say we're gonna beat them by however many points we want 😂

Now the QB is a good athlete but Nacogdoches had a good athlete at QB. He will only be able to do so much. I'm expecting a shutout unless they get one on the JV guys

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

He can't say we're gonna beat them by however many points we want 😂

Now the QB is a good athlete but Nacogdoches had a good athlete at QB. He will only be able to do so much. I'm expecting a shutout unless they get one on the JV guys

This game is puzzling from the standpoint of I don't think Lake Hamilton could beat Lufkin, yet they beat LRSW 49-0. However, when you see them play, LRSW looked like the better physical team with better athletes.  They had several really good offensive plays for yardage, just could not score any points.  It was a route.  LRSW had 9 fumbles and 2 interceptions in that game last week. This will be an interesting game, LRSW plays rough and will get in our face talking and other stuff. Need to be careful to stay clear of that mess. Just play football, win the game, stay healthy and get home safe.  

33 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

This game is puzzling from the standpoint of I don't think Lake Hamilton could beat Lufkin, yet they beat LRSW 49-0. However, when you see them play, LRSW looked like the better physical team with better athletes.  They had several really good offensive plays for yardage, just could not score any points.  It was a route.  LRSW had 9 fumbles and 2 interceptions in that game last week. This will be an interesting game, LRSW plays rough and will get in our face talking and other stuff. Need to be careful to stay clear of that mess. Just play football, win the game, stay healthy and get home safe.  

I can promise you that one of our CB's will get a un-sportsman like penalty tomorrow night for sure against these guys 😂

Lufkin is significantly better than Lake Hamilton too. This one is gonna be bad.

Being a Razorback fan I watch alot of in-state AR HS Football since the streaming is everywhere now, love it. 

Parkview Pats would've been a way better opponent right along with Bryant, but you get what you can get on short notice. 

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/coutee-gains-confidence-at-qb-position/article_d0a27242-1c95-5924-ba78-22f047655b9c.html

Quincey Coutee has done a good job of filling in at QB for the Panthers.  Here are some comments.

Playing quarterback wasn’t in the plans for Lufkin senior Quincy Coutee. An injury to starter Javion Johnson in the Panthers’ scrimmage against Huntsville put Coutee in the starting role where he has taken all but a few snaps in the first two weeks.

Lufkin’s offense and Coutee had a rough start to the season, managing just three points in the 7-3 opening loss to Longview but bounced back in last week’s 56-0 win over Nacogdoches.

Coutee ran twice for 49 yards, including a 38-yarder for a score, and completed six passes for 103 yards.

“When I found out, I just tried to come in and fill in. From the position I was in at receiver and moving to quarterback was a little tricky,” Coutee said. “I knew I just needed to step up and do what I need to do.

Playing quarterback wasn’t in the plans for Lufkin senior Quincy Coutee. An injury to starter Javion Johnson in the Panthers’ scrimmage against Huntsville put Coutee in the starting role where he has taken all but a few snaps in the first two weeks.

Lufkin’s offense and Coutee had a rough start to the season, managing just three points in the 7-3 opening loss to Longview but bounced back in last week’s 56-0 win over Nacogdoches.

Coutee ran twice for 49 yards, including a 38-yarder for a score, and completed six passes for 103 yards.

“When I found out, I just tried to come in and fill in. From the position I was in at receiver and moving to quarterback was a little tricky,” Coutee said. “I knew I just needed to step up and do what I need to do.

Coutee’s other big play was his 38-yard run, in which he made a defender miss at about the 25.

“It was just about reading the defensive end for a couple of plays and then I said ‘this is going to be me right here.’ When I pulled it, I saw the end zone and I’ve got to get in it,” Coutee said.

Coutee said part of his process before going on the field is to pray.

“Before I step on the field, I pray to God and hope he watches over us and carries us through,” Coutee said.

Coutee said his favorite thing about the game is the team aspect.

“It’s sharing it with others. Showing them what they don’t know and them teaching me what I don’t know,” Coutee said. “That we all come together as a unit, not just individuals, as a group. We pick each other up. It started in the summer. We made sure everybody was here.”

Edwin Quarles’ email address is edwin.quarles@lufkindailynews.com.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Coutee said part of his process before going on the field is to pray.

“Before I step on the field, I pray to God and hope he watches over us and carries us through,” Coutee said.

Coutee said his favorite thing about the game is the team aspect.

“It’s sharing it with others. Showing them what they don’t know and them teaching me what I don’t know,” Coutee said. “That we all come together as a unit, not just individuals, as a group. We pick each other up. It started in the summer. We made sure everybody was here.

Good job parents. Sounds like an outstanding young man.