2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

11 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Bryd and Booker both picked up offers Friday from Minnesota North College-Vermillion. Don't know much about the school other than it's a JUCO in Minnesota and their coach is a former Golden Gopher WR. They sent out a few offers across the state. Longview had a LB also pick up an offer from them. I think this class is going to have double digits kids on signing day. 

My hope is they have a decent playoff run this year before they move to that next level. So many have left here in the last 12 years without much playoff success, only to enjoy some nice highlights in college. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

My hope is they have a decent playoff run this year before they move to that next level. So many have left here in the last 12 years without much playoff success, only to enjoy some nice highlights in college. 

The ceiling is Jerry's World. They have that kind of talent. I really believe that. They have to continue to improve every week and hopefully we're pretty healthy when November rolls around. 

Week #3 - DCTF Computer Rankings - 5A DI

1. College Station

2. Frisco Lone Star

3. Aledo

4. Denton Ryan

5. Ft Worth Richland

6. Highland Park

7. San Antonio Pieper

8. Smithson Valley

9. A&M Consolidated

10. PSJ North

11. Cedar Park

12. CC Flour Bluff

13. Port Arthur Memorial

14. Pflugerville Weiss

15.  Lufkin (moved up form #22)

17. Galveston Ball

20. Barbers Hill

#45  Tyler

#76 Baytown Sterling

#79 Beaumont United

#89 Beaumont West Brook

#26 (up from #34) 6A Longview

#68 (down from #63)  5ADII - Nacogdoches 

13 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Bryd and Booker both picked up offers Friday from Minnesota North College-Vermillion. Don't know much about the school other than it's a JUCO in Minnesota and their coach is a former Golden Gopher WR. They sent out a few offers across the state. Longview had a LB also pick up an offer from them. I think this class is going to have double digits kids on signing day. 

Is that your sons first offer? Congrats man. That’s cool 

19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Week #3 - DCTF Computer Rankings - 5A DI

1. College Station

2. Frisco Lone Star

3. Aledo

4. Denton Ryan

5. Ft Worth Richland

6. Highland Park

7. San Antonio Pieper

8. Smithson Valley

9. A&M Consolidated

10. PSJ North

11. Cedar Park

12. CC Flour Bluff

13. Port Arthur Memorial

14. Pflugerville Weiss

15.  Lufkin (moved up form #22)

17. Galveston Ball

20. Barbers Hill

#45  Tyler

#76 Baytown Sterling

#79 Beaumont United

#89 Beaumont West Brook

6A Longview moved up to #26 (from #34)

#68 (down from #63)  5ADII - Nacogdoches

Consolidated beats Forney and they have them at #9. They must not think much of Forney this year. I think Smithson Valley already has a loss. Weiss has a good team but a freshman QB. We would absolutely whip several of those teams in front of us.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/q-a-with-coach-quick/article_9c735b58-8ec3-558d-b2ce-b651c0ef1c25.html

LDN Sports editor Edwin Quarles held a question-and-answer session with Lufkin head coach Todd Quick Monday afternoon. The Panthers are coming off a 56-0 win over Nacogdoches and will be on the road for the first time this season on Friday. Lufkin will face Little Rock Southwest, a Class 7A team from Arkansas, at Grim Park in Texarkana at 7 p.m. Friday.

Q There was an open date for this week in the schedule after realignment and you had a hard time finding a game. This game against Little Rock Southwest was added to the schedule in the summer.

How did it finally come about getting this game on the schedule?

A We thought we had this week filled, but we had people say yes, then say no and we kind of backed ourselves into a corner. You just have a certain amount of choices because of size. You don’t play somebody with 1,000 kids or someone with 8,000 kids. It popped up on the internet that they were looking for a game and we called and they said they’d had a misunderstanding with another school and needed a game. It worked out and then being able to play halfway in Texarkana worked out for both groups. It’s a good deal for us and them.

Q Southwest has played just one game, a 49-0 loss to Lake Hamilton. What have you been able to learn about them?

A They run a spread offense and they work between an odd and even front defensively. They get after it defensively and they’ve got some guys that really try to get after the football and play hard. Offensively, the quarterback is really talented and athletic. He has the ability to make people miss as he looks downfield. It’s going to be a good test for us.

Q Through two games, what are some things you’ve seen on offense that have gone well for the Panthers?

A One of the good things was that the timing and execution of the offense was much better than the first week. We threw the ball and caught the ball well, which allowed us to run the ball. The bright spot was the offensive line. I was really pleased with how they came off the ball, worked together and how physical we were.

Q The defense has given up just one score through two games. What are some things the defense is doing well?

A So far we’ve been able to control the line of scrimmage with our defensive line. That allows our linebackers to be able to run free. If you are not having to come off a block to make a tackle, you’re going to make a lot more tackles. Controlling the line of scrimmage and playing on their side of the ball was a big thing for us last week.

QWhat improvements did you see with the special teams from the first week to this past week against Longview?

A We didn’t do anything the first week, it was kind of a push on special teams. Last week, the punt return (Ke’Vondrick Taylor had a 52-yard punt return for a score), the changing of field position, we were very efficient on our coverages.

We won the kicking game last week, and that has to happen with our guys. We work too hard and spend too many minutes on special teams each week to not gain an advantage by that group.

12 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Consolidated beats Forney and they have them at #9. They must not think much of Forney this year. I think Smithson Valley already has a loss. Weiss has a good team but a freshman QB. We would absolutely whip several of those teams in front of us.

All seven teams in District 9-5A are .500 or better, four teams remained unbeaten and West Brook got its first win in more than a year last week.

Lufkin Panther DEFENSE has 7 turnovers through 2 games, 3 fumbles against Longview and 2 picks (another pick negated for PI) and 2 fumbles against Nacogdoches.  On the other hand the Offense has 3 turnovers through two games, 2 INT against Longview and a fumble at the goal line against Nacogdoches.

18 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

All seven teams in District 9-5A are .500 or better, four teams remained unbeaten and West Brook got its first win in more than a year last week.

I think this district is shaping up to be one of the top 2 or 3 districts in 5A.  4 teams in the Top 20.  7-5A turned out not to be very good outside of Highland Park. Tyler has taken a step back somehow. Just goes to show. You can have alll these skill kids. If you don't have it in the trenches you will get exploited by a team that does have it in the trenches.

Excerpt from LDN article: https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-force-four-turnovers-in-shutout-win-over-dragons/article_b8976d96-d718-5329-891b-91dd1e31ef52.html

QB Quincy Coutee,  has started the first two games in relief of  starter Javion Johnson, passed for 103 yards and rushed for 49, including a 38-yarder for a score.

“He’s getting used to playing the position. I’m really proud of what he was able to do and the coaches did a great job putting him in a position for us to take advantage of the things he can do,” Quick said.

The Panthers use RB by committee this year,  Kenneth Waters had 132 yards on eight carries and three touchdowns. He had runs of 64 and 45 yards.

“Both of his big runs were inside the tackles, which tells me our center and two guards really did a good job with the defensive tackles and our tackles getting to the linebackers,” Quick said. “Kenneth has a good burst to him, he’s built low to the ground and he’s definitely a good change-up for us.

“Our offensive line was really good with us being able to run the ball. Our timing was good and we were efficient offensively.”

Demarkus Chinn had 64 yards on four carries, Gavin Phillips had 30 yards on six carries and  Kevo Taylor had 20 on four attempts.

The Panthers had 318 yards rushing total, with 225 of that coming in the second half.

Receiving yards, Krisean Preston had four catches for 54 yards, Keandre Hooper had one for 36, Kevo Taylor had one for 10 and Kylon Coleman had one for five

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin Panther DEFENSE has 7 turnovers through 2 games, 3 fumbles against Longview and 2 picks (another pick negated for PI) and 2 fumbles against Nacogdoches.  On the other hand the Offense has 3 turnovers through two games, 2 INT against Longview and a fumble at the goal line against Nacogdoches.

When is the last time Lufkin forced 7 turnovers through the first two games? These teams are not just giving us the ball. We're legit forcing them. Timmons also had one go through his hands against Longview because of the rain. It starts with coaching. Sodey is a really good DC. The kids respond well to him. 

6 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

When is the last time Lufkin forced 7 turnovers through the first two games? These teams are not just giving us the ball. We're legit forcing them. Timmons also had one go through his hands against Longview because of the rain. It starts with coaching. Sodey is a really good DC. The kids respond well to him. 

Man definitely. Longview fans didn’t wanna give us credit for those turnovers but we absolutely forced every one of those. I haven’t seen a Lufkin secondary be able to play a ball like this one in a while. Not without drawing PI anyways 

15 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Congratulations

29 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Man definitely. Longview fans didn’t wanna give us credit for those turnovers but we absolutely forced every one of those. I haven’t seen a Lufkin secondary be able to play a ball like this one in a while. Not without drawing PI anyways 

Well, if that fumble just before halftime had bounced a little differently, we will never know how that game could have ended differently. 😉 Lufkin's D is legit and we need to keep them healthy.

FYI - Little Rock Southwest Magnet HS (enrollment 2154) is located in Mabelvale, ARK, located SW of and a 23 minute drive to downtown Little Rock, Ark.  The community made the news after recording 78 homicides there in 2022, with only 13,400 residents. Regardless, the high school is a brand new (3 years old) and has very nice facilities for their sports and education. Their basketball gym is equal to our PAC.

https://www.lrsd.org/o/lrsw

https://www.lrsouthwestathletics.com/facilities

https://www.facebook.com/LRSouthwestLRSD/

WEEK #3 Non-District Game Predictions for District 9-5A DI:

Port Arthur Memorial (2-0) @ Fort bend Hightower ( 2-0)     PA Memorial +15

Barbers Hill (2-0) @ Deer Park (1-1)    Deer Park +5

Beaumont United (1-1) @ Aldine Nimitz (2-0)      Aldine Nimitz  +39

Galveston Ball (2-0) @ Friendswood (1-1)    Galveston Ball  +15

Aldine MacArthur (1-1) @ Beaumont West Brook (0-2)     Aldine MacArthur  +3

LR Southwest Ark (0-1) @ Lufkin (1-1)    No Pick (DCTF doesn't pick spreads on out of State games)

Baytown Sterling (2-0) @ Baytown Lee 2-0)   Baytown Lee  +14

Other picks that pertain to Lufkin:

SOC (0-2) @ Longview (2-0)     Longview  +5

Huntsville (1-1) @ Cedar Park (1-1)     Cedar Park  +8

Livingston (0-2) @ Nacogdoches (1-1)   Nacogdoches  +7

Want to ask a question to you experts out there.  Do you think it possible to know how good your Varsity team will be in 5 or 6 years by analyzing the MS talent at the 7th and 8th grade levels?

Personally, don't think you can get any concrete consensus how that will actually translate that far into the future. Too many variables.  Then again, I have never been that tuned in to the talent with MS teams.

28 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Want to ask a question to you experts out there.  Do you think it possible to know how good your Varsity team will be in 5 or 6 years by analyzing the MS talent at the 7th and 8th grade levels?

Personally, don't think you can get any concrete consensus how that will actually translate that far into the future. Too many variables.  Then again, I have never been that tuned in to the talent with MS teams.

Not that I’m an expert, but I think you can tell when a certain kid is gonna be special. I think too many things come into play to see a middle school team dominate and just assume they will do that at the varsity level. I’ve heard that our 8th grade team looks good. I’d like to hear PN’s take on it all. 

38 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I think you can see if you have good natural athletes in the pipeline. What you do with them is adult responsibilities and that’s the problem. Everyone always seems to catch up by varsity. 

28 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Not that I’m an expert, but I think you can tell when a certain kid is gonna be special. I think too many things come into play to see a middle school team dominate and just assume they will do that at the varsity level. I’ve heard that our 8th grade team looks good. I’d like to hear PN’s take on it all. 

They have a few good skill players. I've coached a lot of those kids when they were younger. I'm not sure how good they will be. I haven't watched them play.

36 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I think you can see if you have good natural athletes in the pipeline. What you do with them is adult responsibilities and that’s the problem. Everyone always seems to catch up by varsity. 

Well, the staff in Lufkin should be completely different in 5 years.  Soderquist could be a possible consideration in the future, but I lean more toward a fresh direction. Then again, I cannot look too deep into 5 year perspectives anymore. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

I think you can get an idea but a lot of development goes into it from their and how many of them will actually stick with football. I think as Freshman you can really start to see what you have. 

19 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Well, the staff in Lufkin should be completely different in 5 years.  Soderquist could be a possible consideration in the future, but i lean more toward a fresh direction. Then again, I cannot look too deep into 5 year perspectives anymore.

If the district hires from within I’d be surprised. But I have heard good things about Soderquist from most people. But I’m not a fan of hiring within from a losing program.