2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Since we are playing LR Souhwest Arkansas this week I will not put up the regular game topic as I do for Texas opponents.

The information for them is limited.  here is the highlights last week against Hamilton  Ark that Hamilton won 49-0.

Hightlights only: https://fan.hudl.com/usa/ar/mabelvale/organization/144066/little-rock-southwes-high-school/team/493474/boys-varsity-football/

Full Game:  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little despondent this week, because I just don't think going to Texas High to watch the Little Rock game is worth keeping the streak alive. Then again it's got to end at some point, man I've lost a step. LOL

District 9-5A DI Non District Standings through Week #2:

District                           Non-District         Points scored and allowed.

Barbers Hill 0-0 0.000 0 0 2-0-0 1.000 75 21  
Ball 0-0 0.000 0 0 2-0-0 1.000 81 26  
Sterling 0-0 0.000 0 0 2-0-0 1.000 77 27  
Port Arthur Memorial 0-0 0.000 0 0 2-0-0 1.000 71 53  
Lufkin 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-1-0 0.500 59 7  
West Brook 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-1-0 0.500 36 43  
Beaumont United 0-0 0.000 0 0 1-1-0 0.500 40 66  

43 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

A little despondent this week, because I just don't think going to Texas High to watch the Little Rock game is worth keeping the streak alive. Then again it's got to end at some point, man I've lost a step. LOL

I think you should go. This may be the last year we have a legit shot at a playoff run for a while. If this does turnout to be a special year. I think you will appreciate keeping the streak out alive one more year for "The Last Dance". You can hang it up after the season. Knowing that next year you will prob take some games off. Just my two cents.

Really surprised no one has mentioned anything about this LR SW team? If you watch the video, yea, they get beat 49-0 by Lake Hamilton, another Arkansas team.  

LRSW has some decent players, skilled players, big guys on the DL and OL. They play undisciplined football, make too many mistakes and turnovers. However, if they were open to a little coaching, they have the parts in the box. Lufkin needs to be careful to not let this game be close, the kids and our coaches know nothing about them, it just a fill in game for a couple years.  Don't believe Hamilton could beat Lufkin this year. Just go in there and take care of business the right way and get out and get home healthy.

53 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Really surprised no one has mentioned anything about this LR SW team? If you watch the video, yea, they get beat 49-0 by Lake Hamilton, another Arkansas team.  

LRSW has some decent players, skilled players, big guys on the DL and OL. They play undisciplined football, make too many mistakes and turnovers. However, if they were open to a little coaching, they have the parts in the box. Lufkin needs to be careful to not let this game be close, the kids and our coaches know nothing about them, it just a fill in game for a couple years.  Don't believe Hamilton could beat Lufkin this year. Just go in there and take care of business the right way and get out and get home healthy.

This game is gonna get out of hand quickly. I actually enjoy watching the broadcast when they're out of town. 

Lufkin will probably be without 3 starters on the defense. Nothing serious. Just bumps and bruises. This is the game to rest people. LRSW doesn't have a JV team so expect to see some guys take their first varsity snaps this week. I fully expect the JV players to play a ton in this one. I doubt LRSW scores but maybe they can get one when the JV kids come in. Doubt it. One of their players took his helmet and started beating another kid with it during their scrimmage lol. This is going to be an interesting game.

45 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin will probably be without 3 starters on the defense. Nothing serious. Just bumps and bruises. This is the game to rest people. LRSW doesn't have a JV team so expect to see some guys take their first varsity snaps this week. I fully expect the JV players to play a ton in this one. I doubt LRSW scores but maybe they can get one when the JV kids come in. Doubt it. One of their players took his helmet and started beating another kid with it during their scrimmage lol. This is going to be an interesting game.

This game does not do this team much good except getting on and off a bus to travel and maybe the JV experience. Nacogdoches could probably compete with these LRSW guys.  it won't help Lufkin in the rankings.  Lufkin needs to start really cranking next week against Tyler, and then the big game against Barbers Hill.  Lufkin hasn't won a big game at home or one the road in 6 or 7 years, still waiting to see if they can get their a*s out of that rut. Still a lot to prove by this team IMO. I'm optimistic, but got to see happen against really good competition. 

10 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin hasn't won a big game at home or one the road in 6 or 7 years, still waiting to see if they can get their a*s out of that rut. Still a lot to prove by this team IMO. I'm optimistic, but got to see happen against really good competition. 

Spot on 

DCTF poll this week, Port Arthur Memorial remained at #10 in 5A DI, Pflugerville Weiss moved up to #9 and Smithson valley dropped out of the Top 10.  Lufkin was ranked #22 last week.  Denton Ryan, Aledo, Highland Park were Ranked 1,2 and 3.

Max Prep poll for 9/08 ranks by SOS, so Lufkin is at #12, but Ball is right behind at #13, BH @ #21. 

Record   Rating  SOS

1 Aledo 1-1 57.80 53.0
2 A&M Consolidated (College Station) 2-0 48.20 34.2
3 Ryan (Denton) 2-0 48.10 27.1
4 Lone Star (Frisco) 2-0 47.30 24.9
5 Highland Park (Dallas) 2-0 45.40 32.8
6 College Station 2-0 44.30 26.2
7 Richland (North Richland Hills) 2-0 40.70 19.6
8 Port Arthur Memorial (Port Arthur) 2-0 36.70 24.8
9 Midlothian 1-1 32.60 32.2
10 Abilene 2-0 30.80 4.2
11 Reedy (Frisco) 1-1 30.60 26.0
12 Lufkin 1-1 30.50 27.6
13 Ball (Galveston) 2-0 29.60 11.5
14 Cedar Park 1-1 28.90 35.9
15 Red Oak 0-2 28.60 35.0
16 Weiss (Pflugerville) 2-0 28.40 3.3
17 Lake Belton (Temple) 1-1 26.90 31.0
18 Amarillo 1-0 26.70 5.3
19 Smithson Valley (Spring Branch) 1-1 26.70 13.5
20 Pieper (San Antonio) 2-0 25.00 15.9
21 Barbers Hill (Mt. Belvieu) 2-0 23.40 1.7

On 9/7/2024 at 7:32 PM, mr. b said:

Truthfully,   I thought the same but could never bring myself to compliment him.  

I'm almost positive it won't last for me. The track record is against that remaining a positive algorithm the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

We know they are holding out LB Hooper, who are the other two? Waters might be one, the other? 

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

We know they are holding out LB Hooper, who are the other two? Waters might be one, the other? 

I don't wanna post it on here but I will dm you. Nobody is seriously hurt.

I do know that Barbers Hill has lost their D1 RB probably for the year and their top WR also likely done for the season.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

This game does not do this team much good except getting on and off a bus to travel and maybe the JV experience. Nacogdoches could probably compete with these LRSW guys.  it won't help Lufkin in the rankings.  Lufkin needs to start really cranking next week against Tyler, and then the big game against Barbers Hill.  Lufkin hasn't won a big game at home or one the road in 6 or 7 years, still waiting to see if they can get their a*s out of that rut. Still a lot to prove by this team IMO. I'm optimistic, but got to see happen against really good competition. 

It's been a while since we won a big game it feels like. Probably would have to go back to 2018/19 College Station. We did beat Consolidated last season who went 4 rounds deep and just knocked off Forney but at the time it was a good win that would become a really good win as AMC continued to roll. Spring Westfield in 2017 is the last really good playoff win I can recall. 

34 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I don't wanna post it on here but I will dm you. Nobody is seriously hurt.

I do know that Barbers Hill has lost their D1 RB probably for the year and their top WR also likely done for the season.

I've noticed several teams have lost key players early, the exception is Pflugerville Weiss who lost their QB and RB, and they are still winning big.

I watched the BH-Manvel game, I reserve my opinion because you just don't know about matchups. Have already made my mind up on Ball, as Williams goes, so does Ball. If he has a bad game or gets hurt, they drop a couple notches quick. Haven't watched PAM play so far.

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

PAM struggling with legacy school of sports was interesting for sure. They had barely beat 3A Hitchcock the week prior. I though PAM would blow them out.

A good 3A team, but still. 3A. Lol 

It was 6-2 PAM at halftime then they went up big something like 41-13 and then Legacy made a late comeback when some starters were out. It's still alarming to see them struggle like that in the 1st half with a bad football team. I think PAM also has QB issues. Im starting to like this matchup more than the Galveston Ball game. 

Bryd and Booker both picked up offers Friday from Minnesota North College-Vermillion. Don't know much about the school other than it's a JUCO in Minnesota and their coach is a former Golden Gopher WR. They sent out a few offers across the state. Longview had a LB also pick up an offer from them. I think this class is going to have double digits kids on signing day.