2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Just now, PackAttack said:

Well, Matt Stepp and DCTF have sure been talking up that coaching staff at Tyler.  I'm not familiar with Rashaun Woods coaching record elsewhere, other than he was an All American player at Oklahoma St.

He's a good coach. I'm just being a little cynical. Just saying changing coaches doesn't guarantee anything.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Only time will tell but Longview is still a really good team with a really strong SR class too. They may not quite be what they were the last 2-3 years but I don't think they're that far off I think Lufkin made Longview look the way they did last night. Longview will roll in the playoffs until they run into DeSoto in Rd 3 or 4. Lufkin at a minimum should make it to a thanksgiving game. 

I think our Lufkin players and talent are just as good as Longview's, we lack in the coaching  needed on the offensive side. Frankly if that side was a better we would play far past Thanksgiving into the middle of December. 

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I think our Lufkin players and talent are just as good as Longview's, we lack in the coaching  needed on the offensive side. Frankly if that side was a better we would play far past Thanksgiving into the middle of December. 

They definitely have a December defense. If Johnson can get rolling. We just might run into Aledo at Jerry's world. I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

If Preston has the desire to be considered in the category of a Dez Bryant, JaLynn Polk or JaBryce Taylor, might want to start going up and taking the ball like they did, you really need a little basketball player in you to be a great WR.

Hope JaBryce imparts some of that skill to these current Panthers.

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

If Preston has the desire to be considered in the category of a Dez Bryant, JaLynn Polk or JaBryce Taylor, might want to start going up and taking the ball like they did, you really need a little basketball player in you to be a great WR.

Preston has that type of ability but the ball was just to wet last night and they don't really trust anyone outside Javion to push the ball down field. That RPO that Coutee missed on will be Johnson bread and butter. He can run that play really good. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say we win that game with Johnson last night and probably by a few scores. Of course Longview isn't giving us much credit. It's more to do with them than maybe our defense is as advertised. I mean the weather even favored Longview style of play. Last night Lufkin answered a ton of questions for me. Going to be a good year guys.

2 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Of course Longview isn't giving us much credit. It's more to do with them than maybe our defense is as advertised. I mean the weather even favored Longview style of play. Last night Lufkin answered a ton of questions for me. Going to be a good year guys.

I haven't read a single word of their self indulgence about this game, I don't need to, I've heard it too many times before.  Glad this game is over and they can go back to their own corral and bother someone else the rest of the year.  It's always IF this or that didn't happen we would have won or won by more, it's what they didn't do, not what someone else did to them.  You must admit they are a one of a kind group of fans and have always been that way, it's a tradition carried on from generation to generation.  it was like that when I played many moons ago, and maybe that's what the Lufkin community lacks and why the expectations are not the same here.  There's not much debate they are a great football program and know how to win games.  

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Defense is the real deal, PN was right

No lies detected. That group is very good. If Johnson can man this offense and get Preston and company going, man alive. I’m not ready to throw in the towel. I know the offensive coaching sux but I think if the offense can find some rhythm when Johnson comes back they might just be good enough to overcome it. I know the defense is gonna hold up. Look at the times last night we even rotated starters out and never missed a beat. Props to the Lufkin defensive coaches, they’ve done a great job on that side of the ball. Glad Longview is behind us, now let’s go beat Nac by 40. 

I was proud of the way the kids played. They came out expecting to win, despite being short handed on offense. Unfortunately I still see some things that have plagued us for while. 

Lufkin defense looked good. But this was also against a team that was never really a threat to throw the ball. I would like to see how we hold up against a passing team. I've been big fan of our secondary guys for a couple of years now. Been waiting for them to take that next step. Did Timmons play last night? Still a little conflicted about Evan Young move to safety. I thought he had the potential to be a shut down corner. Not a fan of guys changing positions their senior year. We'll see how it goes though. Hope Waters is ok. Think he wears #4 on defense and got hurt. The Dline will be fine and a problem for most teams. LB's did a good job too. I was glad to see several other players getting rotated in. That extra experience will help if needed.

The other Waters kid could be really good at Rb. And appears to be our best option at Rb for now. He just needs some more varsity experience. Gavin had a few nice runs. Not sure if he has the conditioning to get more than a couple of carries in spurts. At least that is how Green has used him the last couple of years. Just feel like they haven't figured out a way to unlock his full potential, whether it be on defense or offense. As mention before, Coutee did what he could. Kid will be a much better WR once he can get back to playing that full time. My biggest disappointment, is that Green took too long to get Kevo Taylor involved. He's your most electric player and you wait until late in the second half to put the ball in his hands. I understand maybe waiting to use him at Qb. But figure out some ways to get him touches throughout the game. 

I think we will be ok. But I have an uneasy feeling about our entire offense, being dependent on Johnson getting up to speed on varsity and staying healthy. The staff has no real plan B if that doesn't happen. 

And we have to cut on the senseless personal foul penalties. There were a couple that were offset because the Lufkin player decided to retaliate. Keep your cool and thats penalty yards in our favor. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Please let me know what more Preston could have done last night in that down pour?

we are playing with 2 WRs at QB and we want to call out the WR that we can’t get the Ball to down the field

we played hard last night everyone knew it would be a struggle on offense when we came out with no QB to throw the ball and our best athletes play WR

5 minutes ago, ConcernedFormerPanther said:

Please let me know what more Preston could have done last night in that down pour?

we are playing with 2 WRs at QB and we want to call out the WR that we can’t get the Ball to down the field

we played hard last night everyone knew it would be a struggle on offense when we came out with no QB to throw the ball and our best athletes play WR

No one said anything negative, the weather played a huge part as did the QB situation. I just realized how much bigger he was than the guys guarding him last night, he has a definite advantage over most CBs.  I just remember how Dez, Ja Lynn and JaBryce would go up and take the ball away from DBs all the rime.  Preston has the build to do the same.

12 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

No one said anything negative, the weather played a huge part as did the QB situation. I just realized how much bigger he was than the guys guarding him last night, he has a definite advantage over most CBs.  I just remember how Dez, Ja Lynn and JaBryce would go up and take the ball away from DBs all the rime.  Preston has the build to do the same.

With what I’ve seen from qb and I know they are receivers. Preston is getting the pass where he has to stop and wait every time. It’s going to eventually end with someone running through him on a jump ball. I haven’t seen a pass hit him in any kind of stride yet. He can dominate but it’s hard when they can’t get the ball down field to you. 

11 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

With what I’ve seen from qb and I know they are receivers. Preston is getting the pass where he has to stop and wait every time. It’s going to eventually end with someone running through him on a jump ball. I haven’t seen a pass hit him in any kind of stride yet. He can dominate but it’s hard when they can’t get the ball down field to you. 

Coutee not being a QB, the timing is just not going to be there.  He has to see it, then throw it, and it's too late.  Johnson, hopefully will be the difference maker when he returns, but they sure better get someone up to speed behind him.  Green has not been one to do that very well in the past.

It should really hurt Quick's soul to know he will go down in history as the man that ruined what Outlaw built. Green could step down and let anyone of us call a better game plan than he does. 🤬🤬

With Chinn and Waters in the backfield and the fact they didn't feed the ball to Gavin that much, why not put Gavin at QB and let him air it out to Preston, Coutee and Taylor?? 

The offensive line definitely has to put in some work at practice to get better or else the defense will have a lot of long nights on the field. 

53 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I was proud of the way the kids played. They came out expecting to win, despite being short handed on offense. Unfortunately I still see some things that have plagued us for while. 

Lufkin defense looked good. But this was also against a team that was never really a threat to throw the ball. I would like to see how we hold up against a passing team. I've been big fan of our secondary guys for a couple of years now. Been waiting for them to take that next step. Did Timmons play last night? Still a little conflicted about Evan Young move to safety. I thought he had the potential to be a shut down corner. Not a fan of guys changing positions there senior year. We'll see how it goes though. Hope Waters is ok. Think he wears #4 on defense and got hurt. The Dline will be fine and a problem for most teams. LB's did a good job too. I was glad to see several other players getting rotated in. That extra experience will help if needed.

The other Waters kid could be really good at Rb. And appears to be our best option at Rb for now. He just needs some more varsity experience. Gavin had a few nice runs. Not sure if he has the conditioning to get more than a couple of carries in spurts. At least that is how Green has used him the last couple of years. Just feel like they haven't figured out a way to unlock his full potential, rather it be on defense or offense. As mention before, Coutee did what he could. Kid will be a much better WR once he can get back to playing that full time. My biggest disappointment, is that Green took too long to get Kevo Taylor involved. He's your most electric player and you wait until late in the second half to put the ball in his hands. I understand maybe waiting to use him at Qb. But figure out some ways to get him touches throughout the game. 

I think we will be ok. But I have an uneasy feeling about our entire offense, being dependent on Johnson getting up to speed on varsity and staying healthy. The staff has no real plan B if that doesn't happen. 

And we have to cut on the senseless personal foul penalties. There were a couple that were offset because the Lufkin player decided to retaliate. Keep your cool and thats penalty yards in our favor. 

Timmons played last night. He's #5. He had a really good game. Waters is going to be good to go. Now I am curious to how they will fair against a team that can really spin it but I have a feeling they're gonna still be tough to move the ball on even in the air.

9 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Johnson has a ton of arm talent. His short and mid game has really improved. He also is very good on that RPO slang play. Not worried about Johnson at all. 

The only thing I worry about Johnson is him staying healthy, cause it looks like we are going to need him all the way to be successful. His talent is there, that is not a question for me. 

1 minute ago, 99_Pack said:

It should really hurt Quick's soul to know he will go down in history as the man that ruined what Outlaw built. Green could step down and let anyone of us call a better game plan than he does. 🤬🤬

With Chinn and Waters in the backfield and the fact they didn't feed the ball to Gavin that much, why not put Gavin at QB and let him air it out to Preston, Coutee and Taylor?? 

The offensive line definitely has to put in some work at practice to get better or else the defense will have a lot of long nights on the field. 

Did you watch the game? Gavin got plenty of carries. They just were teeing off on him. Give Longview credit. Their defense had a lot to do with our problems last night. 

11 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The only thing I worry about Johnson is him staying healthy, cause it looks like we are going to need him all the way to be successful. His talent is there, that is not a question for me. 

Same. Honestly, there’s some other things we could do to have some success without him, but the brain behind the operation doesn’t know how to make it happen

23 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Arkansas

They suck. Trust me.