2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Certainly happy on one hand to know the D is so stout and Hatton is back. He is in the TEAM photo.  On the other hand, I want to know more about the Offensive capability.   Is the D so good that this will only strengthen the offense when they play less capable defenses?  

I think it will only make the offense better. The defense is going to be one of the better units we've had here in a while. Longview has a stout defense too. So it's probably going to be a low scoring game. We have better skill guys and the better QB. I think that will be the difference next week. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I think it will only make the offense better. The defense is going to be one of the better units we've had here in a while. Longview has a stout defense too. So it's probably going to be a low scoring game. We have better skill guys and the better QB. I think that will be the difference next week. 

Hard to believe the Lobo defense would be any better than they were the last two years. Probably one of the best units ever to play for Longview.

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Hard to believe the Lobo defense would be any better than they were the last two years. Probably one of the best units ever to play for Longview.

They are not going to be that good on defense. Now I think we on the other hand could have that level of defense if they maximize their potential. They put in the work this off season I'm excited for next week.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

They are not going to be that good on defense. Now I think we on the other hand could have that level of defense if they maximize their potential. They put in the work this off season I'm excited for next week.

We just better hope our OL holds up!

11 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

That’s my biggest concern. I’ve been told they look like complete trash when trying to run block. 

If any of these same inconsistencies in OL play still exist this year, look no further than the coaching. Quick knows and should have corrected the issue long ago.

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Yep. Agree. 

Makes me upset just thinking of having the slightest possibility of OL problems again this year. SMH. Got to see the OL work the scrimmage, I'll know it when I see it. We better keep the bigger kid at Center, if not, that's a done deal.

Greg Tepper and Matt Stepp nerd out on Class 5A ahead of the 2024 Texas high school football season in this Insiders-only podcast, including breakdowns of every region.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/08/20/tep-stepp-podcast-2024-class-5a-preview?ref=home_feature_article

Huntsville Hornets 2024:

Coach: Rodney Southern. Lettermen R/L: 28/17. Starters returning O/D: 5/7. 2022: 4-7 bi-district finalist/3-3 district.

Players to watch: ATH Jawann Giddens (6-0, 175, 4.7), CB Isaiah Collins (6-3, 180, 4.6), RB Trae’Shawn Brown (5-9, 165, 4.6), LB Shilo Jones (6-0, 200, 4.7), RB Braylon Phillips (6-0, 185, 4.6), DE Zack Moss (6-2, 205, 4.9). Top juniors: WR Savion Conteh (6-0, 160, 4.7), OL Brian Parker (6-2, 270). Top sophomore: WR Noah Nieto (5-9, 160, 4.8).

Other prospects: DB Cole Schroeder, DB Jeremiah Winfrey, QB Austin Taylor, K Joseph Mejia, WR Payton Pryor, WR Mu’Koryc Norman.

After a magical run in the postseason last year, Huntsville football has found themselves back inside the top 25 in 5A, DII in Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine.

The Hornets finished last season with an 8-6 record, due to a 3-1 playoff run that ended with a tough defeat to Port Neches-Groves at NRG Stadium.

Huntsville will return eight members on the offensive side of the ball and six on the defensive side of the ball for the upcoming season. Leading the charge will be the Hornets defense with senior Shiloh Jones at the linebacker spot.

Jones made 109 tackles last year to help his team to the regional finals. He had one of the biggest plays of the season when he helped block a Richmond Randle’s field goal to lead the Hornets to grab the 10-7 win over the Lions.

Junior Trae’Shawn Brown is expected to be another strong aspect of the offense this season. While he battled injuries on-and-off last season, Brown raked up 1,025 yards and 11 touchdowns this season.

The Hornets have moved districts and will compete in District 8-51, DII along with PN-G. The new district features Lake Creek, Montgomery, Nederland, Dayton, New Caney West Fork and Splendora, making it an 8-team district.

In the preseason prediction, Huntsville is picked to finish third in district behind PN-G and Lake Creek.

2024 Schedule - *  District games

• Brenham    8/30
  • Bryan        9/06
  • @ Cedar Park    9/13
  • @ New Caney West Fork    *9/26
  • Port Neches-Groves    *10/04
  • @ Montgomery    *10/11
  • Dayton        *10/18
  • @ Montgomery Lake Creek    *10/25
  • @ Nederland     *11/01
  • Splendora      *11/08

28 minutes ago, Chadalac05 said:

If we wore the gold unis every game on the schedule. Undefeated state champs…. No doubt

If that is what it would take to have a winning program again....go for it!!!! 😎

54 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

If that is what it would take to have a winning program again....go for it!!!! 😎

Also it is scientifically proven. That wearing gray facemasks. Increases your chances of losing by 21.75%. It is astonishing that we allow this. 

1 hour ago, Chadalac05 said:

Also it is scientifically proven. That wearing gray facemasks. Increases your chances of losing by 21.75%. It is astonishing that we allow this. 

LOL. You've got a million of them. 😉  I believe the grey face mask is most popular, they help to set off the color of the helmet better. A white face mask is not a good look either, only looks good on a white helmet ( like Buffalo). Lufkin with their dark purple helmets, using purple or black face mask would be a good look.

Question. Is there a particular practice reason JV secondary players defend against Varsity WR starters? That seems a little counter intuitive . Just curious. 

Our practice routine hasn't changed in 20 years. It's like watching the Groundhog Day movie. LOL

The OL? After watching today, I hope they find the best 5 out of that bunch. If they use Phillips blocking as HB or TE it would help. Lufkin has some beef and talented kids on that DL, they cause some tough sledding for the OL guys. I'm telling you, not much movement zone blocking, which I thoroughly don't understand, and hate at the same time.

There is some height and size on the Pack OL, surely they can find 5 decent OL players out of the 11 or so playing there.

QB can throw, in other words he can get it downfield, not always accurate and WR don't always catch him well. Has a lot of air under his deep throws. This is the part of the Panther O game that intrigues me the most.

Scrimmage on Friday will show some things, Longview will reveal even more. These days I'm always a little anxious, nervous and excited all at the same time about getting Panther football started.

51 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

The OL? After watching today, I hope they find the best 5 out of that bunch. If they use Phillips blocking as HB or TE it would help. Lufkin has some beef and talented kids on that DL, they cause some tough sledding for the OL guys. I'm telling you, not much movement zone blocking, which I thoroughly don't understand, and hate at the same time.

There is some height and size on the Pack OL, surely they can find 5 decent OL players out of the 11 or so playing there.

QB can throw, in other words he can get it downfield, not always accurate and WR don't always catch him well. Has a lot of air under his deep throws. This is the part of the Panther O game that intrigues me the most.

Scrimmage on Friday will show some things, Longview will reveal even more. These days I'm always a little anxious, nervous and excited all at the same time about getting Panther football started.

I saw the same today, the OL has some size among them. They just need to find the best combination so they can begin to come  together! DL and LB’s should be the strength of the defense. Secondary has moved a few players around, they are also small in spots as well! 

7 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

I saw the same today, the OL has some size among them. They just need to find the best combination so they can begin to come  together! DL and LB’s should be the strength of the defense. Secondary has moved a few players around, they are also small in spots as well! 

They have one big safety, Evan Young. Hatton and Waters are not real big but they can fly and play the ball.

51 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

They have one big safety, Evan Young. Hatton and Waters are not real big but they can fly and play the ball.

I think EY will have a great year at safety. I do wish the lineman would play the roll better. It’s hard to understand with so much size how they can’t scrap together a good line. 

47 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

I think EY will have a great year at safety. I do wish the lineman would play the roll better. It’s hard to understand with so much size how they can’t scrap together a good line. 

What I've seen so far is not so much the OL is not good, it's them going up against some really good DL guys. They will figure it out.