2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Lufkin school colors remain Purple and Gold, nothing has changed.  However these new black jerseys have caused a stir with some folks. Me, I like them, the Purple jerseys are still available just as those bright Gold jobs, that Chad likes so well.

They will interchange these through the season. The team also has black pants, to go with their traditional Purple and white pants. 

John Outlaw started the Purple and White uniform tradition less the gold because it was easier to match when a additional uniform change was made. There were too many shades of gold to deal with at the time. Although we do know those Chad sponsored Gold tops did show up in about 2010. Still the jerseys have always had gold  incorporated into logo trims on the unis.

Lots of other HS teams use a neutral black or grey jerseys that are trimmed their school colors. The kids chose what they wanted fit their teams chemistry and unity for 2024, the new jerseys do have Purple trim.  I think it's great, and it will be this teams personalized brand to carry in 2024.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Well, the Lobos fans don't think so, but they have already built a small buffer wall just in case. Playing in Lufkin (as if playing in Longview is a picnic), they're never good with first games and breaking in a new QB. 

Of course the same could apply to Lufkin this year too, if we were playing in Longview. 

Have you ever seen the lobos lose a game that wasn’t more about what they didn’t do rather than what the opposing team did do? Lol.. They hardly ever just give kudos and move on. They about like the Philadelphia eagles fan base 🤣

Beaumont United and Beaumont Westbrook moving to 5A DI from 6A, playing in district with the likes of North Shore, Summer Creek, Atascocita and CE King has been overlooked a bit.  So for me it's not a stretch to say it becomes a little more even ground for them in this district. That was one stout 6A district the past two years. That's why I say this could be one stout 5A DI district this year.  There are no sure things for PA, Lufkin, BH or Ball IMO, some folks are going to need to earn their spots this year.

Just saying if our guys and coaches don't take serious every single game in district this year some unlikely upsets could occer.

I love the black jerseys just as much as the purple/gray ones. Seems a lot of the people complaining about the uniforms lack of gold must have been under a rock for the past 26 years or so. And in my 43 years here, the gold has never been gold, only some shade of yellow.  

I vaguely remember a rumor that Outlaw bought, or was going to buy some black jerseys in the early 2000's for the team to wear during the playoffs, but there was a big fuss about it then, so it never happened. 

3 hours ago, 99_Pack said:

I love the black jerseys just as much as the purple/gray ones. Seems a lot of the people complaining about the uniforms lack of gold must have been under a rock for the past 26 years or so. And in my 43 years here, the gold has never been gold, only some shade of yellow.  

I vaguely remember a rumor that Outlaw bought, or was going to buy some black jerseys in the early 2000's for the team to wear during the playoffs, but there was a big fuss about it then, so it never happened. 

The black looks great. All of the yellow/gold is horrible imo. Purple/black/white are so much better. It’s probably mostly the same old timers that want to continue seeing Lufkin and Nac play football against each other. 

Speaking of old school??  This trend the last few years of wearing the football pants above the knee. I never played on a turf field, but I can't imagine falling on turf or getting hit on an unprotected knee.  Of course the rules have changed drastically about blocking at or tackling low at the knee's, but you still fall on the turf.  I can definitely see it would help their range of motion, that's great, those guys know the repercussions.  Your thoughts??  Me, I never liked scraped up knees or being hit at my  knees.

30 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Speaking of old school??  This trend the last few years of wearing the football pants above the knee. I never played on a turf field, but I can't imagine falling on turf or getting hit on an unprotected knee.  Of course the rules have changed drastically about blocking at or tackling low at the knee's, but you still fall on the turf.  I can definitely see it would help their range of motion, that's great, those guys know the repercussions.  Your thoughts??  Me, I never liked scraped up knees or being hit at my  knees.

Lol it’s what they call “drip” now. My son plays travel baseball year round and even a lot of those kids are wearing their baseball pants above the knees with socks going all the way up to their thighs. 

9 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

Anyone been out to practice? How are we looking? Any kids going both ways at all this year?

I don't think so. Depth is something we have plenty of this year. The only exception being along the offensive line. But I could be wrong, could be some wildcards I don't know about.

2 hours ago, Pack05 said:

Any player missing from the team photo? 

Well, we know Michael Mosley Jr who was #23 last season is not in the team picture. Amontia Hatton was #12 last year. There is a #12 in the team photo although there were some early summer issues. Do not know the OL player who was to have left last week. PN may could fill us in on any roster situations. Thanks.

8 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Well, we know Michael Mosley Jr who was #23 last season is not in the team picture. Amontia Hatton was #12 last year. There is a #12 in the team photo although there were some early summer issues. Do not know the OL player who was to have left last week. PN may could fill us in on any roster situations. Thanks.

What number is Zion Williams? 

46 minutes ago, Pack05 said:

What number is Zion Williams? 

There are 71 players shown in the team photo.

Zion Williams was #96 last season, he is #40 ( far left) in this years team picture. Elijah Alexander was #73, he is top row far right. Hope to have a 2024 Roster soon.

FYI - Lufkin graduated 25 seniors from their 2023 team, they had 47 juniors listed on the roster. in the spring of 2024 there were 48 seniors listed, now it may be 45 or 46.  

Really interested to know who has moved up from the 2023 JV that will have an impact with the 2024 team.  

455792456_913460244141382_7163300729488845012_n.jpg

5 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

2004 state semi final round? Baylor university in Waco vs Southlake Carroll. 

Yes, 2004 State Semi Finals against #1 Southlake. If I remember correctly, Lufkin was down 27-9 at the half, battled back to tie the game 30-30 late in the 4th on a J Lane TD run, E J Shankle 58 yd TD  reception and 2 TD catches by the then sophomore Dez Bryant.  In the end an 11 yd TD run by Chase Daniels with 1:31 left put SLC up 37-30.  Lufkin made a final run at the end down to the 28 yd line with .05 left, a Hail Mary was knocked away at the last second to seal the deal for SLC.  It was a great game, however SLC countered Green and shut down J Lane (18-64 yds) for most of the game. Jacoby Smallwood picked up the slack and had a great game (166 yds passing - 3 TD and 47 yards rushing) for the Panthers at QB. DE McKinner Dixon sacked Chase Daniels 7 times in the game, and still they were able to win.

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Yes, 2004 State Semi Finals against #1 Southlake. If I remember correctly, Lufkin was down 27-9 at the half, battled back to tie the game 30-30 late in the 4th on a J Lane TD run, E J Shankle 58 yd TD  reception and 2 TD catches by the then sophomore Dez Bryant.  In the end an 11 yd TD run by Chase Daniels with 1:31 left put SLC up 37-30.  Lufkin made a final run at the end down to the 28 yd line with .05 left, a Hail Mary was knocked away at the last second to seal the deal for SLC.  It was a great game, however SLC countered Green and shut down J Lane (18-64 yds) for most of the game. Jacoby Smallwood picked up the slack and had a great game (166 yds passing - 3 TD and 47 yards rushing) for the Panthers at QB. DE McKinner Dixon sacked Chase Daniels 7 times in the game, and still they were able to win.

Pass interference in the end zone at the end of that game 😏

Some were talking about Panther practice.

DeMarkus Chinn will have his impact on the running game this year. All of the photo are from Lufkin Daily News/

66bfde7e02e60.image.jpg

FYI - The Lufkin Daily News will have their 2024 local High School Football Preview Edition out this weekend. 

Get your copy, we'll keep you posted on some of it here too, since we are a public subscriber to the paper. ;)

37 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Pass interference in the end zone at the end of that game 😏

THIS pass interference call?  Yes. three SLC players hit our WR before the ball arrived. SLC had the preferential pull cause they were #1 at the time. Hard to out jump DEZ.

24 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Defenses was humming at practice yesterday. 32 scripted plays the offense managed 2 or 3 first downs and 0 TDs. Also believe Hatton is back on the team. Wonder if he will play against Longview. It's an absolutely huge addition to get him back. 

Certainly happy on one hand to know the D is so stout and Hatton is back. He is in the TEAM photo.  On the other hand, I want to know more about the Offensive capability.   Is the D so good that this will only strengthen the offense when they play less capable defenses?