2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A perfect sized stadium for Lufkin would be something like Randall Reed Stadium in New Caney. A perfect set up to match the state of the art PAC next door.

Sorry  to talk so much about stadiums, just killing some time before the season.  Just keep on wishing.

21 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Coach Todd Quick on Lone Star Gridiron:

This interview just seems a little off to me. Player led teams are great especially when you have a returning starter at MLB that made 100 tackles last year. He leads the defense and doesn't even get mentioned.. Hard to believe this is a player led team when some of the players don't show up for summer workouts or do less when they do. Thats not a winning formula. Not to mention a guy that makes probably 140k a year griping about how hard it is to hire someone. Leaders dont complain they just get it done.  Maybe this interview was heavily edited but I don't think it sounds so well. Just not a good look going into the year. Hopefully things turn around and with 48 seniors we make another state championship run. 

7 minutes ago, haleyscomet said:

This interview just seems a little off to me. Player led teams are great especially when you have a returning starter at MLB that made 100 tackles last year. He leads the defense and doesn't even get mentioned.. Hard to believe this is a player led team when some of the players don't show up for summer workouts or do less when they do. Thats not a winning formula. Not to mention a guy that makes probably 140k a year griping about how hard it is to hire someone. Leaders dont complain they just get it done.  Maybe this interview was heavily edited but I don't think it sounds so well. Just not a good look going into the year. Hopefully things turn around and with 48 seniors we make another state championship run. 

Kaden led the team in tackles last year. Your right, the interview probably was edited a bit to fit a time allotment. 

Both Hoopers (Keandre) too will have a big impact this year.

This current coaching leadership has much to prove to the community with this team. No excuses to not be successful this year. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Helicopter Dad. LOL  Well put. You can hope the kid will change his mind. Then again that bridge may have already been burned. Of course every situation is different, however my son would have quickly backed off me if I had been that involved in his sports business.  We had a great relationship on those things. I'm just thinking about leaving friends and teammates he has been with all these years. maybe that doesn't mean at much as it use to be. I don't know.

I can't see leaving your friends behind like that either and yeah it's a done deal he's not coming back. I however do hope they have a change of heart on Hatton. The sophomore they plan on playing is a good player so I'm not that worried about it but depth is a little concerning in the secondary. 

2 hours ago, haleyscomet said:

I think majority of the the kids that actually will play made most of the workouts this year. I know some of them had jobs, and camps. From what I can tell the SRs were locked in the summer. I've had a house full of them all summer. This is a close group with a ton of confidence. I think we are about to have a heck of a season. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Kaden led the team in tackles last year. Your right, the interview probably was edited a bit to fit a time allotment. 

Both Hoopers (Keandre) too will have a big impact this year.

This current coaching leadership has much to prove to the community with this team. No excuses to not be successful this year. 

Big Hoop is a hoss. Undoubtedly the leader of the defense. I'm telling you PA these kids are going to come out August 30th and hit Longview right in the mouth. They will not roll over. Also watch out for Ross Byrd a LB. He's healthy and his run fits are as good as any on the team. Then you have  Hood coming off the edge. He's a future P5 edge rusher. He's going to be a problem.  He's up to 220 from 190 a year ago and he flashed all spring. I'm excited PA. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Big Hoop is a hoss. Undoubtedly the leader of the defense. I'm telling you PA these kids are going to come out August 30th and hit Longview right in the mouth. They will not roll over. Also watch out for Ross Byrd a LB. He's healthy and his run fits are as good as any on the team. Then you have  Hood coming off the edge. He's a future P5 edge rusher. He's going to be a problem.  He's up to 220 from 190 a year ago and he flashed all spring. I'm excited PA. 

Starting to get that vibe. There are expectations and a anticipation that I've kind of been waiting on for a couple years now. I'm ready to see it.

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I can't see leaving your friends behind like that either and yeah it's a done deal he's not coming back. I however do hope they have a change of heart on Hatton. The sophomore they plan on playing is a good player so I'm not that worried about it but depth is a little concerning in the secondary. 

What was the position change? 

6 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

We are going to be better off in the long run in the secondary. Waters has some experience, good upside, he's a good fit. Maybe Coutee could play some snaps both ways. Anyone else on the roster you think could add some depth?

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

We are going to be better off in the long run in the secondary. Waters has some experience, good upside, he's a good fit. Maybe Coutee could play some snaps both ways. Anyone else on the roster you think could add some depth?

Waters is the new FS? Was he playing last year?

10 hours ago, Pack13 said:

How are we worried about depth. I thought there were 48 seniors. Depth shouldn’t be an issue. 

I think PN was talking about depth in the secondary. Also, Waters got some good experience last year and had an INT. So he is ready.

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/panthers-begin-workouts-monday/article_ba85ad6a-4bd1-56d7-adf1-7389f0b49ddc.html

After what Lufkin head football coach Todd Quick said has been a good summer for the Panthers, work begins Monday with after school practice as the team gears up for the regular season set to start later this month.

Lufkin heads into the 2024 season with a large group of seniors and a team that has put in work together.

With school starting Wednesday of this week — an earlier start than usual for Lufkin, the Panthers have put in three days of offseason workouts this week.

“I feel like we’re a few days ahead with the early start to school and we treated the class like an offseason workout,” Quick said. “We’ve got a large group of seniors and they’ve been together all summer. They like each other, they like to hit each other, but they also protect and stay on each other to get better. It’s a fun group to coach.”

“Monday, we get to put on headgear and Wednesday we get to put on the pads and really start getting ready for our scrimmage and our home opener against Longview,” Quick said. “This group likes to have fun but they also know when it’s time to get serious and put in work.”

Lufkin’s freshmen group got started with workouts this past Monday.

“We had about 75 show up Monday and Tuesday when we didn’t have school and they did a good job of getting here,” Quick said. “The last couple of days we had them in class and after school and we had good days. They’ve got linemen and some high-level skill players and they know how to work. The middle school coaches have done a great job with them.”

The PACK defense is going to be really good. Kaden Hooper OLB at 6-1, 215 is outstanding and I do not understand why more schools (UTEP) have not offered him.  He is just as good as Tank King from Port Arthur who has several offers IMO. ADD in Ross Byrd at MLB , that Panther LB corps will be stout.

The PACK defense is going to be really good. Kaden Hooper OLB at 6-1, 215 is outstanding and I do not understand why more schools (UTEP) have not offered him.  He is just as good as Tank King from Port Arthur who has several offers IMO. ADD in Ross Byrd at MLB , that Panther LB corps will be stout.

Big hoop plays inside backer. I believe he is strong side Mike. I think more offers will come. He was slow on first step last year for what the bigger schools are looking for but I’m sure that’s been worked on. I think he will put on a show this year and him and Byrd will make any team avoid the inside run. 

So Hoop moves from MLB to OLB for his senior year. I know the coaches try to get the right combinations of guys on the field and injuries/graduation can play a part. I just hate seeing guys shuffled around and not getting a chance to master one position. We saw it last year with Menefee being move from safety to LB his senior year. Now Zion being moved from DT to DE his senior year. And more guys being shuffled around in the secondary this year. As talented as some of those players are. It's still an adjustment and takes time moving over from one position to another. Even if it is on the same side of the ball. We'll see how it all plays out. Hopefully they can come together as a cohesive group by the end of the year. 

8 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

Big hoop plays inside backer. I believe he is strong side Mike. I think more offers will come. He was slow on first step last year for what the bigger schools are looking for but I’m sure that’s been worked on. I think he will put on a show this year and him and Byrd will make any team avoid the inside run. 

I also think the lack of playoff runs hurt Lufkin. Playing against better competition in later rounds help showcase what you can do. The super talented players will always get noticed. But some need those extra games to really make a name for themselves. 

13 minutes ago, timeout! said:

So Hoop moves from MLB to OLB for his senior year. I know the coaches try to get the right combinations of guys on the field and injuries/graduation can play a part. I just hate seeing guys shuffled around and not getting a chance to master one position. We saw it last year with Menefee being move from safety to LB his senior year. Now Zion being moved from DT to DE his senior year. And more guys being shuffled around in the secondary this year. As talented as some of those players are. It's still an adjustment and takes time moving over from one position to another. Even if it is on the same side of the ball. We'll see how it all plays out. Hopefully they can come together as a cohesive group by the end of the year. 

I don’t think Hoop is moving positions. Zion moving to DE does not make sense to me. He is too big to play that position correctly. Even in an odd front.