2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

A couple guys were having a conversation with me about Abe Martin last week over lunch, we covered a lot of ground. It was on my mind this morning and thought I would compile all the thoughts from last week. I do not know about the thoughts of others in the community and agree there are some things with ABE that are good in a couple respects. It does have a classic old school feel.  No doubt, I agree with my friends thought that upgrades are needed from the 1973 build, like better bathrooms, LED stadium lighting, better concessions and better visitor dressing rooms.  All things to talk about I guess, it's much the same issues as almost every year for the past 10 or 12. Still need money, still need it to be a concern of the powers that be for the school. Hopefully they have plans for Abe, maybe there will be some funds left over from the $75M bonds to invest in ABE. ???

What we think probable doesn't rank high on their priority list. However, the press box to me is the biggest need by far. Hard to understand why through all of these bonds passed, that issue has never been able to be solved. The Sideliners tried to address it back in 2008, I know others in the district have considered options. There is an ADA compliancy attached to anything done there because the current PB is attached to the stadium.  The law states if any upgrades are done that are over $50K, then the ADA upgrades need to be done stadium wide, and that is the issue.  The district would either need to build a stand alone press box unattached from the concrete stadium or demo the whole home side and rebuild with Aluminum stands/Press Box that are ADA compliant. Either way, your speaking about a $2-5M investment, give or take, just to get started. This was considered briefly back in 2008 when the new ADA bleachers were added by way of a legal ADA complaint.

For anyone who has accessed our press box you already know it's quite outdated, its tricky to climb that 5 step ladder up and open the door at the same time, you better be in decent shape, it's not ADA compliant. No bathroom facility??  Can you imagine needing to really need to use the bathroom, climbing the ladder out of that box, then navigating down 32 rows on those steep steps? What if your handicapped and have a job with the opposing school district, a coach, halftime performance announcer??? No access. Back 15 years ago, Conroe's halftime announcer was in a wheelchair. They made her make her halftime announcements with a had held microphone from the track, the sound cut in and out the whole time. A prominent school official then told me they were not required to provide handicap access to the press box. The legal mumbo jumbo must be enormous, that is until the day someone falls off the ladder or out of the box,  gets injured or injures a fan sitting below them. I've had a great line of sight from where we sit to see all those close calls over the years.

We are far from the only school to have this issue though, most are not 5A DI schools. I've wondered about the thought process leading up to this last bond proposal. Was there any thought about when building the new PAC right next to ABE, the new PAC look would not match the OLD ABE look? I'm sure someone did, but someone something precluded that from occurring. Not sure, but sports additions in bonds have never been a positive in Lufkin. To be exact, there's a 46 years separation between approvals. In 1972 to approve the building of Abe Martin to 2018 to approve getting all sports facilities onto the LISD campus.   

Our board has just turned in a great $71M balanced budget with a 2 1/2% teacher raise, this after 2 years of millions in over budget expenditures, and you still have one board member Joe Caesar calling for $10M more in budget cuts.  As a comparison, Longview ISD has a $96M budget this year, they also passed a $456M Bond that will in part, upgrade and add to their football stadium and sports facilities district wide, doing so without a tax increase. I think it passed on a third vote try. 

Lufkin $75M (2018) bond accomplished some much needed first class sports facilities and a new middle School. I just can't help but think, if the Bond had been $95M, they could have included a Abe Martin facelift. Not a stretch for a more forward thinking group of planners. FYI - the previous Lufkin Bonds were $49M in 2009 (new elementary schools and upgrades for existing) and $27M in 1995 (convert Jr High East into new HS). Never any bond money appropriated to upgrade ABE.  A $800,000 Coca Cola contract in 2003 paved the way for the funds to help provide the first turf field and state of the art Video screen at ABE in 2005.  

My hope is James Hockenberry can bring some of his outside vision, and with our board help Lufkin to be considered a top notch district in East Texas again, not only in educational quality, also in their sports facilities and that should include Abe Martin. We have a great start with the Baseball/Softball Complex and PAC on the LHS campus.  Abe needs to be next, and maybe a little upgrade the 19 year old T J Turner indoor practice facility for the kids.

Anyway, it was a good lunch forum to air out some thoughts, I don't get to do that often these days. It's not as important to me as it once was when I was younger, like my two friends.  I'll just let them carry that flag for for what it's worth today and see what they can accomplish in the future. I've already had my 23 year run at trying to make a difference.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PAM had a nice upgrade a couple years ago. Beaumont ISD has a new stadium all together about 14 years old. Lufkin played there back in 2017 . Barbers Hill has very nice stadium set up too. 

If I had to rank stadiums in 9-5A DI:

Beaumont - Doggett Family Stadium  built in 2010. https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1288

Barbers Hill Eagle Stadium - recent all new upgrades - https://pbksports.com/project/barbers-hill-isd-indoor-practice-and-multipurpose-building/ 

https://purcellc.com/barbers-hill

Port Arthur Memorial Stadium - New $3.1M PB box in 2009 and $800k new turf and $750K Video/scoreboard in 2022.  https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Port-Arthur-s-Memorial-Stadium-getting-major-17285370.php

Galveston Ball - Kermit Courville Stadium -  w/ $24M in new ongoing renovation in 2023 and 2024. That includes a complete renovation, new $4.3M multilevel press box, new videoboard. They will have a new paid spectator parking lot or you park in the neighborhood around the stadium.  https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=617https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vXSMsPoAF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY412VQsDQQ

https://www.gisdathletics.com/**new**-kermit-courville-stadium-map

Abe Martin built in 1973.  We are familiar with it's amenities.  Holds 11,000. Even with some of the things needed, it still has a better football feel, better area for accessibility, great parking and better local. Can't list us last, we do have the new PAC built, with new concrete parking lot, driveways and sidewalks, and new ticket booths.  Nothing else is in the works currently to our knowledge.

Baytown Sterling -Stallworth Stadium -  seats 16,000 - older stadium than ABE built in 1969.  availability.  https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=637  . In the process of building a new $8.8M field House connected to stadium set to be complete October. The Goose Creek school board proposed a $24M as part of a three tiered Bond to upgrade the stadium to ADA compliance, new press box, complete upgrade that was voted down in Nov, 2023.  https://baytownsun.com/sports/new-stallworth-field-house-still-months-away/article_2982e6fa-28f9-11ef-a5d1-fb5f1463dc9a.html

https://www.starcouriernews.com/2023/11/mixed-results-from-voters-on-bond-measures/

I myself like Abe’s historic look.  We do need some new turf but I could care less about the press box.  Put the PA guys in there and shut it down to the other guys.  It’s high school football, 10 coaches that never played football aren’t needed as observers.  

DCTF's TXHSFB Insider Matt Stepp gives you his "Hipster Picks" for 2024, the off-the-radar teams who have a chance to do big things this year.

5A DI Picks:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/08/14/2024-txhsfb-hipster-picks-?ref=home_feature_article

San Antonio Jay is their main pick. Jay is dropping down from 6A to 5A DI with a 10-3 record in 2023. Although the computer numbers do not point to success for Jay or these other HIPSTER picks, it would be a mistake to sleep on these teams. 

Matt Stepp also says not to sleep on Lufkin, West Mesquite and Lubbock Monterrey.   That is the 2nd time Matt Stepp has mentioned Lufkin as a possibility. Stepp was at the Tyler 7 on 7 SQT and said that Lufkin was the best looking team on the hoof there, and physically one of the best looking teams he had seen personally.

FYI -Look like Shelia Adams (and Andy Adams) are leaving Lufkin ISD and headed to Aldine ISD. She  to work for LaTonya Goffney as their new Chief Communication Officer. Lufkin sports photos will be a little different around here with Andy gone.   

On 8/5/2024 at 5:58 AM, 99_Pack said:

I don't know about y'all,  but I would love to see good old Abe return to it's glory days of a PACKed house that was tough for visiting teams to play in.

I sit in the general admission seats closest to the PAC and I love looking across at the home side's sea of purple. But these last few seasons it has looked so empty. Come out and support the kids, don't be a fair weather fan.

Let's Back the Pack!!

Those days are long gone and probably never coming back lol The numbers won’t look great the opening night against Longview, if it’s another blowout like it always seems to be now, the numbers moving forward will really be scarce. Because the expectation is already of that for a lot of folks and once it happens it just kinda sets the tone. 

6 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Those days are long gone and probably never coming back lol The numbers won’t look great the opening night against Longview, if it’s another blowout like it always seems to be now, the numbers moving forward will really be scarce. Because the expectation is already of that for a lot of folks and once it happens it just kinda sets the tone. 

Your right, nothing will be like the old days at ABE, it's gone for so many reasons. We were lucky to come along at a unique time in HS football back then, and had some great players pass through during an 8 year stretch.  Quick hasn't  duplicated it, and maybe Outlaw would not have either if he had lived longer.  We sort of forget that Outlaw was 1-5 in the playoffs his last 5 years.

Back to Longview, it's not that Longview has the better players per se. What literally stands out to me is how the Lobos physically wear Lufkin down, then just beat us up in the 2nd half. We have guys coming out of the game left and right, limping around. To me that's the difference between Lufkin and Longview the past 2 or 3 meetings. Just better prepared and tougher. 

18 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Your right, nothing will be like the old days at ABE, it's gone for so many reasons. We were lucky to come along at a unique time in HS football back then, and had some great players pass through during an 8 year stretch.  Quick hasn't  duplicated it, and maybe Outlaw would not have either if he had lived longer.  We sort of forget that Outlaw was 1-5 in the playoffs his last 5 years.

Back to Longview, it's not that Longview has the better players per se. What literally stands out to me is how the Lobos physically wear Lufkin down, then just beat us up in the 2nd half. We have guys coming out of the game left and right, limping around. To me that's the difference between Lufkin and Longview the past 2 or 3 meetings. Just better prepared and tougher. 

Another thing about Longview is they will be very good again this year, but they are not getting as much love this year from DCTF at #31 in 6A.  I don't buy that ranking, or that the Lobos are down this year. IMO it's a mistake by DCTF because the Lobos have a track record of being consistent.  Unlike Lufkin, because this year looks more like a accumulative opportunity more than program building for the Panthers. In fact if these coaches can't win with these guys, they won't win with a lesser group.

There will be some slight changes to the Pack defense to start the season in the secondary. It will be fine, maybe a little younger at one position, he is very good. Then maybe a WR to split some time at safety. I'll let PurpleNation cover all those bases for us. As much as we eye coaching, players also have responsibilities, as do parents of players. IMO we will be better off in the long run. That is about all I want to say, don't want to give any credit to folks who want to be selfish for their own cause and not for the team.

TEXAS HS Football Stadiums are getting unreal, some in the most unexpected places. We all already know about the the other new stadiums in Allen, Katy, New Caney, Cy Falls, Beaumont and McKinney. They just seem to keep coming. You might asked, where is Godley?  North of Cleburne. I said the same thing about Melissa a few years ago.

Godley ISD:

The Wild

Back side. Great concept. A whole athletic complex, offices, weight room.

High School Phase 2 — Godley ISD Bond

Even Nacogdoches has completely remodeled and enlarged their press box at Dragon Stadium, are adding a new visitors side press box, new turf and new LED stadium lighting. Still not equal to ABE by a long shot ,still some much needed upgrades. Visitor side is still small, however they have added bleachers in the end zone for 400 to move the home band which will free up more space on the visitors side.  We probably will not be playing there again for awhile since they have decided to play the rivalry over at SFA when the game is in Nacogdoches.

New surface being installed at Dragon Stadium

18 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Three year starter Mike Mosley has transferred from Lufkin to Diboll. Pair that up with Hatton being dismissed the secondary will look a little different but they still have some talented players and a plan on moving forward. Still going to be a really good year

You move forward with the great players who are still working to build and win as Panthers. The person leaving means nothing now. Not sure I should wish them well, maybe that's wrong. It's  hard to respect when you have someone who has played three years in a program, goes through Spring ball and the whole off season this year, then the first week of practice decides not want to be apart of a team, over a position move.  Maybe there's more, I'm told there's parent involvement, however he is a Senior, he should be able to stand on his own two feet by now. By 18, I was able to make all my own sports playing decisions, my Dad always let me decide those things, even in college.  Anyway, looking forward to the season and watching these Panthers win some games.  No one person makes a TEAM!

9 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You move forward with the great players who are still working to build and win as Panthers. The person leaving means nothing now. Not sure I should wish them well, maybe that's  wrong. It's  hard to respect when you have someone who has played three years in a program, goes through Spring ball and the whole off season this year, then the first week of practice decides not want to be apart of a team, over a position move.  Maybe it's more the parent than the player, however he is a Senior, he should be able to stand on his own two feet by now. By 18, I was able to make all my own sports playing decisions, my Dad always let me decide those things, even in college.  Anyway, looking forward to the season and watching these Panthers win some games.  No one person makes a TEAM!

He's a good kid but has one of them helicopter dads. He's probably going to do it all a Diboll. He's probably going to get some D1 offers but he would have gotten those here. I'll be rooting for him. Just wish he would have stayed. I couldn't imagine downgrading facilities and talent like that. 

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

He's a good kid but has one of them helicopter dads. He's probably going to do it all a Diboll. He's probably going to get some D1 offers but he would have gotten those here. I'll be rooting for him. Just wish he would have stayed. Have a feeling he may regret it once the post season rolls around 

Helicopter Dad. LOL  Well put. You can hope the kid will change his mind. Then again that bridge may have already been burned. Of course every situation is different, however my son would have quickly backed off me if I had been that involved in his sports business.  We had a great relationship on those things. I'm just thinking about leaving friends and teammates he has been with all these years. Maybe that doesn't mean at much as it use to be. I don't know.