2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

49 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Why is the OL play always the suspect here year after year? It's certainly been a consistent topic of discussion.  Hey, let's play a game, name the last really good OL at Lufkin in last 10 -12  years. I can't. Why is that?  We all know the issue. 

I think some of it is scheme based and part of it is talent. I think 2017 was probably the last really good line we had. Also all our kids that could really contribute to the offensive line play on the defensive line. I think the line will be good enough this year. It will come down can the kids make plays when they absolutely have to. 

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I think some of it is scheme based and part of it is talent. I think 2017 was probably the last really good line we had. Also all our kids that could really contribute to the offensive line play on the defensive line. I think the line will be good enough this year. It will come down can the kids make plays when they absolutely have to. 

Well this would be the year to be better.  There are a couple younger guys that have been coaching at the sub varsity level the last couple years I hope are having some  influence with the Varsity O- line.  Would be nice to have a ex-player like a Rex Hadnot, a former NFLer, or or someone like him with P5 college OL college experience on staff to relate that experience to our OL players.

7 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Well this would be the year to be better.  There are a couple younger guys that have been coaching at the sub varsity level the last couple years I hope are having some  influence with the Varsity O- line.  Would be nice to have a ex-player like a Rex Hadnot, a former NFLer, or or someone like him with P5 college OL college experience on staff to relate that experience to our OL players.

We use to have some really good offensive lines. In reality it really hasn't gotten bad until about these last 5 years. To the point it's a legitimate concern and not all of that is coaching. They just didn't have the kids most years. I think McCoy is the only legimate D1 offensive lineman we've had the last 25 years compared to probably 20+ D1 defensive lineman at Lufkin in that same time frame and you don't need D1 kids to have a good offensive line we've had plenty of kids go play FCS or D2 ball but not so much of them lately. With Johnson at QB I'm not nearly as concerned about the offensive line. I think he's kinda being underestimated right now. This is the most dangerous running QB we've had since McNeal. He is a D1 level athlete make no mistake about it. It's only a matter of time before he starts picking up D1 offers. His big thing will be consistency in the passing game, ball security when he's on the move and simply not turning the ball over. 

On 6/27/2024 at 3:39 PM, PurpleNation said:

He should see his fair share of touches this season. He was almost considered an after thought at one point. He was playing OLB and buried on the depth chart. He is a hard worker. I really like the backfield this year. It's going to be a committee but they all have the ability to make big plays. Phillips, and Chinn I think will get the start but Waters could possibly start. They will use Kevo Taylor as a change of pace back. He looked really good in the spring when he got touches out the back field. His sudden change in direction is something else. In open field good luck even getting a hand on him. He made several Forney defenders whiff last year on that long catch and run TD. If Taylor was 5'11 he would have double digit D1 offers. 

*Correction- Chinn has been a starting OLB/( and a backup RB)since 7th to freshmen year being a QB worst nightmare … suffered an injury at the beginning sophomore year which had him out the most of the season. When he returned for the last 3 games they needed him to fill in at RB after losing the starting RB.. first game back he scored 5 touchdowns and a 2 point conversion in 1 game, the other 2 games he scored 2 or 3 TDs and some 2 pt conversions (one team being Longview). So with that he decided and coaches decided to keep him at RB. Junior year came where he didn’t get many chances due to reasons I won’t speak on… but everybody got to clearly see what he can and will do with the ball while also being one of the best blockers on the team as well. He got the closest to scoring on Longview last year and would have if given more carries. We will see if this coaching staff knows what they are doing this year but I think they are on the right track so far having Gavin at TE. We should’ve BEEN playing with a TE. 

Chinn sophomore year 3 games http://www.hudl.com/v/2JjzZx

Tyler did very well at the State 7 on 7 Tourney going 3-0 in Pool play on Friday and then 2-1 in championship round  today losing to eventual Div I Tourney champion DeSoto 21-14. 

34 minutes ago, CardiacPack said:

*Correction- Chinn has been a starting OLB/( and a backup RB)since 7th to freshmen year being a QB worst nightmare … suffered an injury at the beginning sophomore year which had him out the most of the season. When he returned for the last 3 games they needed him to fill in at RB after losing the starting RB.. first game back he scored 5 touchdowns and a 2 point conversion, the other 2 games he scored 2 or 3 TDs and some 2 pt conversions (one team being Longview). So with that he decided and coaches decided to keep him at RB. Junior year came where he didn’t get many chances due to reasons I won’t speak on… but everybody got to clearly see what he can and will do with the ball while also being one of the best blockers on the team as well. He got the closest to scoring on Longview last year and would have if given more carries. We will see if this coaching staff knows what they are doing this year but I think they are on the right track so far having Gavin at TE. We should’ve BEEN playing with a TE. 

Thank You for the information. Yes, would have loved to see Chinn get more touches last year, but I also know what was happening with Young.   That was not good coaching IMO, but that's what happened. Have a RB who holds the all time career rushing yards for Lufkin, now at Notre Dame this year that didn't play a single playoff game in HS because the coaches didn't use their full deck of cards on offense. Bottom line is Young would have been at ND whether he broke the record or not and might have played a couple playoff games under different circumstances. We'll never know now.

Looking forward to see what Chinn and Phillips and the whole 2024 group can to this year, and hope the coaching on the offensive side make better decisions and choices.

11 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Thank You for the information. Yes, would have loved to see Chinn get more touches last year, but I also know what was happening with Young.   That was not good coaching IMO, but that's what happened. Have a RB who holds the all time career rushing yards for Lufkin, now at Notre Dame this year that didn't play a single playoff game in HS because the coaches didn't use their full deck of cards on offense. Bottom line is Young would have been at ND whether he broke the record or not and might have played a couple playoff games under different circumstances. We'll never know now.

Looking forward to see what Chinn and Phillips and the whole 2024 group can to this year, and hope the coaching on the offensive side make better decisions and choices.

Agreed! This team has to much talent not make it far into the playoffs or all the way….IF each player is used correctly. I’m hoping they can all stay healthy because every single one of them will be needed to have a successful season. Go pack! 

4 hours ago, CardiacPack said:

*Correction- Chinn has been a starting OLB/( and a backup RB)since 7th to freshmen year being a QB worst nightmare … suffered an injury at the beginning sophomore year which had him out the most of the season. When he returned for the last 3 games they needed him to fill in at RB after losing the starting RB.. first game back he scored 5 touchdowns and a 2 point conversion in 1 game, the other 2 games he scored 2 or 3 TDs and some 2 pt conversions (one team being Longview). So with that he decided and coaches decided to keep him at RB. Junior year came where he didn’t get many chances due to reasons I won’t speak on… but everybody got to clearly see what he can and will do with the ball while also being one of the best blockers on the team as well. He got the closest to scoring on Longview last year and would have if given more carries. We will see if this coaching staff knows what they are doing this year but I think they are on the right track so far having Gavin at TE. We should’ve BEEN playing with a TE. 

I just remembered Chinn being under utilized at OLB. Im glad he is finally getting his chance. He's one of the hardest working kids on the roster. This season has a chance to be real special if they put it together.

2 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

This is like the 5th straight off season I’ve heard TE mentioned, to only get to the regular season and never once see a TE. Are we actually going to use one this year or?? Lol 

I hope. Just opens up the offense. You can also help pass protect and run block.

7 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

This is like the 5th straight off season I’ve heard TE mentioned, to only get to the regular season and never once see a TE. Are we actually going to use one this year or?? Lol 

I'd be surprised if we do. I think 2011 was the last time I remember Lufkin consistently using a TE. I can't remember the kid name. But he was an athletic WR with some size. We would also split him out occasionally. He was with that group that lost to Westfield @ Sam Houston. I do remember Cox was the Qb at the time. 

I'm a little iffy about Gavin being at TE..I don't mind him doing it occasionally. Just to help out with some blocking on certain plays. Him and Chinn providing a 1-2 punch at RB would be my preferred way to utilize him. Putting him at TE would be his 3rd different position playing at the varsity level. The kid hasn't had a chance to get a full year in learning any one position on varsity. Thats just a lot to ask for IMHO. I know he lined up a few time at TE last year. But thats still little to no experience playing the position. 

17 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

You know how I feel about our offensive concept around here the last 20 years, It's like a box of chocolates, you just never know what your going to get. Well, maybe you do. LOL

20 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I just remembered Chinn being under utilized at OLB. Im glad he is finally getting his chance. He's one of the hardest working kids on the roster. This season has a chance to be real special if they put it together.

No he was never under utilized at OLB because he had the opportunity for a starting job there last year but he told coach Sodi he wanted to stay at RB. (I wish he would’ve went OLB but it was his choice) And that’s when they moved Menefee from Safety to OLB. The only position he has really been under utilized at is RB but like you said he will get his chance this year to show what he can do. 

15 hours ago, timeout! said:

I'd be surprised if we do. I think 2011 was the last time I remember Lufkin consistently using a TE. I can't remember the kid name. But he was an athletic WR with some size. We would also split him out occasionally. He was with that group that lost to Westfield @ Sam Houston. I do remember Cox was the Qb at the time. 

I'm a little iffy about Gavin being at TE..I don't mind him doing it occasionally. Just to help out with some blocking on certain plays. Him and Chinn providing a 1-2 punch at RB would be my preferred way to utilize him. Putting him at TE would be his 3rd different position playing at the varsity level. The kid hasn't had a chance to get a full year in learning any one position on varsity. Thats just a lot to ask for IMHO. I know he lined up a few time at TE last year. But thats still little to no experience playing the position. 

Yeah that 1-2 punch sounds like a better idea honestly. With all the talent we have on our WR core and then a QB that can run… our offense SHOULD be unstoppable. 

7 minutes ago, CardiacPack said:

No he was never under utilized at OLB because he had the opportunity for a starting job there last year but he told coach Sodi he wanted to stay at RB. (I wish he would’ve went OLB but it was his choice) And that’s when they moved Menefee from Safety to OLB. The only position he has really been under utilized at is RB but like you said he will get his chance this year to show what he can do. 

I could had sworn going into the previous spring he was down behind a few guys at OLB. Anyway hoping for the best. Between him Waters, Gavin I think we have a deep rotation of backs this year we can lean on. Taylor will prob see a few touches this year too. He was really impressive during the spring.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I could had sworn going into the previous spring he was down behind a few guys at OLB. Anyway hoping for the best. Between him Waters, Gavin I think we have a deep rotation of backs this year we can lean on. Taylor will prob see a few touches this year too. He was really impressive during the spring.

Nope not at all, that’s why I wished he would’ve stayed at OLB. Previous spring he suffered an injury before the season even began and it gradually got worst where he had to sit out almost the entire season. 

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

And yeah the backs are looking good this year and everyone is healthy so far

1 hour ago, FHL777 said:

Good information on Polk. Looking forward to see what he can do in the NFL.  Wish he were closer to home. He has been about as far away as you can get from Texas, in Washington (2037 miles) and now in Massachusetts (1736 miles).

1 hour ago, CardiacPack said:

And yeah the backs are looking good this year and everyone is healthy so far

The Panther running game by committee has the opportunity to be very effective, especially with a highly mobile QB in Johnson.  As good as Young was at RB the past 3 years, he was singular presence for opposing defenses to key on. 

This has the set up to be interesting for opposing teams to defend.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

The Panther running game by committee has the opportunity to be very effective, especially with a highly mobile QB in Johnson.  As good as Young was at RB the past 3 years, he was singular presence for opposing defenses to key on. 

This has the set up to be interesting for opposing teams to defend.

Some of yall on here acting like Young isn’t the reason they had the wins they did. The offenses they had the last two years were atrocious. Youngs yards after contact has to be close to his career total. The lines inability to pass protect, requiring the need for keeping in an extra blocker or two inhibited the offenses ability to be efficient. Many teams were able to drop 8 and still apply pressure. If anyone has any reason to believe that will change let me know. 
I think the offense has some weapons, I’m a huge fan of the mobile qb but when it comes down to it the offense will be as good as the line allows. 

I’m just looking at legit concerns while some of are drinking the koolaid. Who is the backup qb? I don’t believe Lufkin has had the starting qb stay healthy a full season in a while. I like the versatility at running back but Chinn missed much of the spring with a hamstring pull as did many other players, what is with all those injuries? I think the receivers are great and talented but the ball has to get to them. Preston seemed to get thrown to once every three games last year. Will something be done to fix that. We heard last year the offensive line only looked bad because the defense was so good. Turned out not to be true. So why is it true this year? What have numbers looked like in summer workouts? What have they changed about their off season to develop players more? I haven’t seen many take steps towards improvement over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Pack13 said:

Some of yall on here acting like Young isn’t the reason they had the wins they did. The offenses they had the last two years were atrocious. Youngs yards after contact has to be close to his career total. The lines inability to pass protect, requiring the need for keeping in an extra blocker or two inhibited the offenses ability to be efficient. Many teams were able to drop 8 and still apply pressure. If anyone has any reason to believe that will change let me know. 
I think the offense has some weapons, I’m a huge fan of the mobile qb but when it comes down to it the offense will be as good as the line allows. 

Did not say that at all. The three years Young was a Panther were phenominal, he was 80% the offense. My point, was he was the lone best threat in the backfield those years. Did not have a mobile QB to offset the D, Young had to make his own way for the most part. Just saying this 2024 running game by committee looks to be interesting to watch and give opposing defenses more to work on. Definitely different than the last 3 seasons.  It's not lost on me that defenses loaded up on Kedren to stop him, to no avail and rarely shut him down. That's why he owns 4 of 5 top rushing games in Lufkin history.

My question always lies with the OL, or what are the coaches doing different this year with this talent, than the past three?  Not having a playoff platform built before this season makes a difference, even with great talent on board. You can't ignore that fact. 

18 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Did not say that at all. The three years Young was a Panther were phenominal, he 80% the offense. My point, was he was the lone best threat in the backfield those years. Did not have a mobile QB to offset the D, Young had to make his own way for the most part. Just saying this 2024 running game by committee looks to be interesting to watch and give opposing defenses more to work on. Definitely different than the last 3 seasons.  It's not lost on me that defenses loaded up on Kedren to stop him, to no avail and rarely shut him down. That's why he owns 4 of 5 top rushing games in Lufkin history.

My question always lies with the OL, or what are the coaches doing different this year with this talent, than the past three?  Not having a playoff platform built before this season makes a difference, even with great talent on board. You can't ignore that fact. 

Wasn’t calling you out specifically just the last post talking about it. Still waiting on O line. I look forward to seeing them in the scrimmage. I thought teams actually backed off Young last year because they knew the line could be beat. That’s why I’m concerned. If teams feel they can pressure with 3 or 4 rushers again this year and stop the run with 7 in the box we will be in trouble. I’m hoping we see more options though with a running qb and a speedy back like Chinn. I actually liked that play the last few years we just didn’t run it much.