2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a single word in the 2024 DCTF 5A DI season preview about Lufkin remotely being a presence in Region III, not even a mention. All their talk was about College Station, A&M Consolidated and PAM being the contenders. Not a single Lufkin player on the pre season All State team. 

Even their Dark Horse picks were Tyler, Lake Belton, Victoria West and San Antonio Veterens Memorial.

There are valid reasons DCTF looks at Lufkin the way the do today. Yes, we have a bunch of talent this year, but there are other reasons. It's the programs track record over all these 12 years, especially the last three years. They see the same things some of us do, the program has not built any playoff criteria leading up to this year. I'm with many Panther fans about big expectations this year, but if you base that thought process on how things have been developed the past three seasons by this same leadership, maybe it's best to remain cautiously optimistic as to not experience a complete meltdown if things don't go as hoped.

22 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not a single word in the 2024 DCTF 5A DI season preview about Lufkin remotely being a presence in Region III, not even a mention. All their talk was about College Station, A&M Consolidated and PAM being the contenders. Not a single Lufkin player on the pre season All State team. 

Even their Dark Horse picks were Tyler, Lake Belton, Victoria West and San Antonio Veterens Memorial.

There are valid reasons DCTF looks at Lufkin the way the do today. Yes, we have a bunch of talent this year, but there are other reasons. It's the programs track record over all these 12 years, especially the last three years. They see the same things some of us do, the program has not built any playoff criteria leading up to this year. I'm with many Panther fans about big expectations this year, but if you base that thought process on how things have been developed the past three seasons by this same leadership, maybe it's best to remain cautiously optimistic as to not experience a complete meltdown if things don't go as hoped.

I remember going into the 2004 season we were fresh off a first round exit and we had plenty of doubt heading into that season. Just the way I like it.

5 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I see how that’s who he thought. I did too when you said 11X state champ. I can’t find anybody else with 11 lol 

There is another team that has 11. Looks like they have won 9 of the last 11 state titles or something close to that. Just waiting to see if it happens. 

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I remember going into the 2004 season we were fresh off a first round exit and we had plenty of doubt heading into that season. Just the way I like it.

These ranking don't mean a whole lot to me. Just like the UIL thinking it would be okay to put Lufkin is a district South of Ft Worth. DCTF is considered the Bible of Texas Football but they are not always right.  Missed it big time on Port Neches Groves winning it last year.

Let's be truthful here. PA Memorial started 9 sophomores last year and won, went to the playoffs, and come in Ranked #10 in 2024.  Lufkin on the other hand couldn't make the playoffs with this talented group as sophomores or juniors, and come in Ranked #19 as Seniors.  Someone put the pieces together for me, help me understand.  It's always comes back to coaching. 

The full run down of the top ten highest paid coaches in the Houston area, per Houston Chron, is:

1. $179,917 - Barbers Hills HS - Carl Abseck -  He came to Barbers Hill in 2022, from coaching at Cedar Park for 16 years, the last six as its head coach. The Timberwolves were 71-10 under his watch, won the Class 5A DII state championship in 2015 and reached the state finals in 2016.  He is currently 17-7 in two seasons at Barbers Hill.
  2. $154,030 - Dickinson HS - John Snelson
  3. $153,877 - Katy HS - Gary Joseph
  4. $146,536 - Tomkins HS - Todd McVey
  5. $141,055 - Morton Ranch HS - Ron Counter
  6. $138,991 - North Shore HS - Willie Gaston
  7. $136,502 - Taylor HS - Chad Simmons
  8. $135,353 - Cypress Creek HS - Greg McCaig
  9. $134,407 - Jersey Village HS - David Snokhous
  10. $133,922 - Dawson HS - Michael Allison

Only about $6,000 separates the 11th spot from the 25th spot on the list, with Woodlands HS head coach James Rapp rounding out the top 25 at $126,901.

The highest paid coaches in the Houston area can be found in the Katy ISD, where Gary Joseph leads the way at Katy HS making $153,877 and David Hicks represents the bottom of the district salaries at $121,462.

The average salary for Katy HS coaches comes out to $134,618.

Based on the information provided in Chron, the Houston ISD (which includes a $10k coaching stipend) is the lowest paid district with Clifton Terrell from North Forest HS at the top of the list of the district's salaries ($110,653) while Louis Rodriguez of Chavez HS and Don Holloway of Washington HS occupy the lowest paid spots in the district at $75k each.

On average, coaches in Houston ISD make $94,097, according to the data provided.

19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

These ranking don't mean a whole lot to me. Just like the UIL thinking it would be okay to put Lufkin is a district South of Ft Worth. DCTF is considered the Bible of Texas Football but they are not always right.  Missed it big time on Port Neches Groves winning it last year.

Let's be truthful here. PA Memorial started 9 sophomores last year and won, went to the playoffs, and come in Ranked #10 in 2024.  Lufkin on the other hand couldn't make the playoffs with this talented group as sophomores or juniors, and come in Ranked #19 as Seniors.  Someone put the pieces together for me, help me understand.  It's always comes back to coaching. 

Im not sure PAM would have made the playoffs the last 2 years in our district and looking back at it. Lufkin probably should have made the playoffs both years. Blew a 17 point lead against McKinney North and couldn't hang on against Lancaster this past year. I don't think we were nearly as far away as people think. Forney and Lancaster both made it to the regional finals and we were in both of those games late. I'm expecting to be playing someone on Thanksgiving week this year. Anything short of a 4th round appearance will be disappointing to me. 

On 6/24/2024 at 10:23 PM, PackAttack said:

image000000.jpg

Just wanted to state that this was a short Lufkin review. Only Galveston Ball bested Lufkin for least information of all 7 teams in District 9-5A DI.  Don't know how that works exactly.  The Barbers Hill HC strongly states in the magazine they are confident in their ability to win this district, they were 9-3 last year. If you watch video, BH has a great system in place.  They are returning  7 O/ 5 D starters.

Ball is the unknown quantity IMO, they return 8 O / 6 D starters for 2024, they have 5 star prospect Jonah Williams (6-5,215) at WR, Safety, LB, DE and kick returner, they play him all over the field. The guy is P5 talent but he can't play all those positions at one time either.  Ball also has Baker, a 2000+ yards QB returning too.

PAM is coming in after going 9-3 with 9 sophomores starting in 2023 with 6 O/ 7 D returning starters.  They are loaded at multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

DCTF states Lufkin R/L 25/26 with 4 O/ 8 D returning starters, but in the DCTF 2024 TOP 300 players at any position, only Lufkin athlete is Zion Williams, listed as a Top 10 at DT.   

Lufkin plays BH at home first game of district, then PAM and Ball on the road later in the schedule.  Basically there are 4 teams to vie for the district title unless United, Westbrook or Sterling really surprise and defy the experts.  United does return 9 starters on defense.  

8 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just wanted to state that this was a short Lufkin review. Only Galveston Ball bested Lufkin for least information of all 7 teams in District 9-5A DI.  Don't know how that works exactly.  The Barbers Hill HC strongly states in the magazine they are confident in their ability to win this district, they were 9-3 last year. If you watch video, BH has a great system in place.  They are returning  7 O/ 5 D starters.

Ball is the unknown quantity IMO, they return 8 O / 6 D starters for 2024, they have 5 star prospect Jonah Williams (6-5,215) at WR, Safety, LB, DE and kick returner, they play him all over the field. The guy is P5 talent but he can't play all those positions at one time either.  Ball also has Baker, a 2000+ yards QB returning too.

PAM is coming in after going 9-3 with 9 sophomores starting in 2023 with 6 O/ 7 D returning starters.  They are loaded at multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

DCTF states Lufkin R/L 25/26 In the DCTF 2024 TOP 300 players at any position, only Lufkin athlete listed is Zion Williams, listed as a Top 10 at DT.   

Lufkin plays BH at home first game of district, then PAM and Ball on the road later in the schedule.  Basically there are 4 teams to vie for the district title unless United, Westbrook or Sterling really surprise and defy the experts.  United does return 9 starters on defense.  

Forney beat PAM last year 44-7. They weren't competitive at all. While we were 14-14 in the 4th. I think PAM is still a year away from really being a problem. Barbers Hill is the team I'm probably the most worried about. Outside those two. I fully expect Lufkin to steam roll the rest of district including Ball. At the end of the day it's all subjective and everyone will have to prove it on the field and I'm extremely confident in my guys this year.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Senior 2024 starting RB Lufkin's Demarkus Chinn.

I think the staff could've given him a lot more touches last year. Especially after we lost Gavin for the year. I think him and Young would've made a good 1-2 punch and RB. 

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

DCTF states Lufkin R/L 25/26 with 4 O/ 8 D returning starters, but in the DCTF 2024 TOP 300 players at any position, only Lufkin athlete is Zion Williams, listed as a Top 10 at DT.   

The BH coach has had success outside of BH. Had a decent team last year and I'm sure his staff is tweaking things for whatever holes they have to fill. I'm sure that confidence trickles down to how his guys play.

Not sure where Lufkin will finish in this district. I think we have the talent to challenge for district champs. But it's always hard to tell with teams from the bigger cities. Things are always so fluid with those programs. You have kids and coaches shuffling around from area schools. 

46 minutes ago, timeout! said:

I think the staff could've given him a lot more touches last year. Especially after we lost Gavin for the year. I think him and Young would've made a good 1-2 punch and RB. 

He should see his fair share of touches this season. He was almost considered an after thought at one point. He was playing OLB and buried on the depth chart. He is a hard worker. I really like the backfield this year. It's going to be a committee but they all have the ability to make big plays. Phillips, and Chinn I think will get the start but Waters could possibly start. They will use Kevo Taylor as a change of pace back. He looked really good in the spring when he got touches out the back field. His sudden change in direction is something else. In open field good luck even getting a hand on him. He made several Forney defenders whiff last year on that long catch and run TD. If Taylor was 5'11 he would have double digit D1 offers. 

42 minutes ago, timeout! said:

The BH coach has had success outside of BH. Had a decent team last year and I'm sure his staff is tweaking things for whatever holes they have to fill. I'm sure that confidence trickles down to how his guys play.

Not sure where Lufkin will finish in this district. I think we have the talent to challenge for district champs. But it's always hard to tell with teams from the bigger cities. Things are always so fluid with those programs. You have kids and coaches shuffling around from area schools. 

Yeah they have a good staff and system in place. They won't have the athletes that PAM and other will have but they will be fundamentally sound. They seem like a slightly better version of McKinney North.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

He should see his fair share of touches this season. He was almost considered an after thought at one point. He was playing OLB and buried on the depth chart. He is a hard worker. I really like the backfield this year. It's going to be a committee but they all have the ability to make big plays. Phillips, and Chinn I think will get the start but Waters could possibly start. They will use Kevo Taylor as a change of pace back. He looked really good in the spring when he got touches out the back field. His sudden change in direction is something else. In open field good luck even getting a hand on him. He made several Forney defenders whiff last year on that long catch and run TD. If Taylor was 5'11 he would have double digit D1 offers. 

Lufkin is loaded with skill guys. I almost get excited just thinking about the possibilities. But I have to temper my excitement until after the season is underway. Taylor, Preston, Gavin, Johnson, Lil Hoop, and Waters should be more than enough for Green work with. Just need the Oline to hold up. Defense should be just as loaded if not more. Add in a favorable district and region...Everything is pretty much there for this staff. 

The Panthers should have a game three on the schedule by early next week, a road game.  Will need to wait for the official announcement to post the information. It will be good to check that concern off the list.  Should be a good test for Lufkin.

5 hours ago, timeout! said:

Lufkin is loaded with skill guys. I almost get excited just thinking about the possibilities. But I have to temper my excitement until after the season is underway. Taylor, Preston, Gavin, Johnson, Lil Hoop, and Waters should be more than enough for Green work with. Just need the Oline to hold up. Defense should be just as loaded if not more. Add in a favorable district and region...Everything is pretty much there for this staff. 

Offensive line is definitely the biggest question mark for this team. I don't think they're a bad unit but I wouldn't say they're a good unit either. Hopefully they can develop into a solid line this year. I do believe having Johnson at QB will definitely help. Teams can't just rush up field because he is good enough to step up and get out of trouble and rip off huge chunks of yards if you over extend trying to make a play and lose rush integrity. 

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Offensive line is definitely the biggest question mark for this team. I don't think they're a bad unit but I wouldn't say they're a good unit either. Hopefully they can develop into a solid line this year. I do believe having Johnson at QB will definitely help. Teams can't just rush up field because he is good enough to step up and get out of trouble and rip off huge chunks of yards if you over extend trying to make a play and lose rush integrity. 

Why is the OL play always the suspect here year after year? It's certainly been a consistent topic of discussion.  Hey, let's play a game, name the last really good OL at Lufkin in last 10 -12  years. I can't. Why is that?  We all know the issue.