2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

7 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin should win this district. I know PAM has a good team but I feel we're right there with them. I'm trying to tell you guys this season is about to be different.

....and I totally believe you. Don't doubt it at all. However, as a moderator I've got to look at things from a prospective of our last 3 years results and maybe how DCTF view us from afar. To balance the facts and see the projected potential at the same time. 

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin should win this district. I know PAM has a good team but I feel we're right there with them. I'm trying to tell you guys this season is about to be different. 48 SRs and a load of returning starters and a QB with a pulse. 

12 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin should win this district. I know PAM has a good team but I feel we're right there with them. I'm trying to tell you guys this season is about to be different. 48 SRs and a load of returning starters and a QB with a pulse. 

I agree purpleNation I thought last season would be the season we turned the corner. But Green put to much infecy on our star running back leaving the offense one demensional with a cardboard offensive line 

4 hours ago, Lennie said:

I agree purpleNation I thought last season would be the season we turned the corner. But Green put to much infecy on our star running back leaving the offense one demensional with a cardboard offensive line 

That is a question to be considered no matter how talented this team will be this year.  IMO there's absolutely no reason to have not made the playoffs the past two years. Who is accountable?, and we believe this staff can suddenly make a run this year?   I believe in this group, but after the past couple years, I've got to actually see this thing happen for real.  Not on paper. There is no reason for this team to not rack up big wins this year, if they are put in their best positions to be successful.

11 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Man, HEAVY on that part lol 

Javion Johnson has all the upside in the world to be very good.  We will see how much he is allowed to use all his abilities.

24 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Javion Johnson has all the upside in the world to be very good.  We will see how much he is allowed to use all his abilities.

They need to just let the kid play and do his thing. No holding back, just roll with it. 

22 hours ago, PackAttack said:

FB_IMG_1718999469553.jpg

Kinda funny seeing A&M Consolidated being ranked #9, considering we have beat them the last two years. Maybe they just didn't match up well with us. But just shows you have to be consistent playoff contenders. Most of those teams listed are perennial powers. Just hard for me to see Lufkin turning on a switch and being in that mix this year. I think we have the talent to compete with just about anyone. Just not sure the program has the proper infrastructure to maximize it. I would feel different. If Lufkin had taken steps or showed some progression leading into this year. Unfortunately it has been mostly the same the last several years. With just minor flashes of potential. 

5 hours ago, Lennie said:

They played good enough to make the playoffs and it took Lancaster scoring in the final minutes to knock us out and they end up going 4 deep losing Forney another team we had on the ropes and couldn't finish. In a way I think having Kedren was a negative sometimes because we forced the run game to much when we were more than capable of making plays down field. After the Forney game Johnson should have taken over at QB. This year should look vastly different with him at QB. As you saw in the spring game and against Forney he gets outside the pocket and hit WRs down field in scramble mode. Johnson is a D1 athlete. Maybe not at QB but he is that caliber of athlete. He's easily the most dangerous running QB we've had since Reggie. Kordell could run but I don't think he had the top end speed that Johnson has. Now Johnson is the passer Rodgers was but he's good enough and has made tremendous strides. His big thing will be ball security. 

32 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Kinda funny seeing A&M Consolidated being ranked #9, considering we have beat them the last two years. Maybe they just didn't match up well with us. But just shows you have to be consistent playoff contenders. Most of those teams listed are perennial powers. Just hard for me to see Lufkin turning on a switch and being in that mix this year. I think we have the talent to compete with just about anyone. Just not sure the program has the proper infrastructure to maximize it. I would feel different. If Lufkin had taken steps or showed some progression leading into this year. Unfortunately it has been mostly the same the last several years. With just minor flashes of potential. 

Well cover your eyes that switch is getting flipped lol

PN I hope you are right. Sometimes I feel like we watched two different spring games. I’m worry about how this team couldn’t survive spring healthy, how they will survive a football season. I worry about the line of scrimmage play of both sides, I know what’s on the defensive side but I said what I said. Team also looked very slow to me. How are they fixing speed?

47 minutes ago, Pack13 said:

PN I hope you are right. Sometimes I feel like we watched two different spring games. I’m worry about how this team couldn’t survive spring healthy, how they will survive a football season. I worry about the line of scrimmage play of both sides, I know what’s on the defensive side but I said what I said. Team also looked very slow to me. How are they fixing speed?

We apparently watched two different spring games. They have plenty of speed between Hooper and Taylor at WR. Chinn and Waters at RB can also pick them up and put them down. Defense has plenty of speed in the secondary. They have 5 kids with FBS offers right now. I called it when they were 9th graders that they would have anywhere from 5-7 go D1(Williams,Young,Preston, Alexander, Big Hoop) and about another 5-7 (Timmons, Mosley, Little Hoop)that will play at some level and they're pretty much almost there and a few more kids will also add offers. I'm not worried one bit and have no doubt they're going to prove it. 

I watched this kids as freshmen handle College Station missing 6 kids that are currently starters for next season. Same kids even more developed now. Just wait I'm trying to tell you guys. Consolidated made it to the 4th round not because they were that much more improved throughout the year. They just had an easier district and road in the post season. Same post season road we will have minus Smithson Valley who goes over to Region 4 now. We will find out real quick where we stand August 30th and I'd be willing to throw coin on it we beat Longview that's how confident I am.

Lufkin wasn't a bad team last year. They just couldn't finish games all be it against very good teams. Forney was 14-14 in the 4th. We led McKinney North in the 4th. We also led Lancaster in the 4th. Should had beaten Tyler and this was with a very limited QB. The make the playoffs literally in any other district. Johnson is exactly what Green needs. Someone who is going to make a play whenever the play breaks down. Just didn't have a strong enough SR class outside Kedren and that showed on signing day. I just think we were a lot closer last year then people are giving them credit for and I can see with a more manageable schedule and path with a much deeper team should equal a successfully season. I just don't see how they're not gonna be good this year. 

20 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin wasn't a bad team last year. They just couldn't finish games all be it against very good teams. Forney was 14-14 in the 4th. We led McKinney North in the 4th. We also led Lancaster in the 4th. Should had beaten Tyler and this was with a very limited QB. The make the playoffs literally in any other district. Johnson is exactly what Green needs. Someone who is going to make a play whenever the play breaks down. Just didn't have a strong enough SR class outside Kedren and that showed on signing day. I just think we were a lot closer last year then people are giving them credit for and I can see with a more manageable schedule and path with a much deeper team should equal a successfully season. I just don't see how they're not gonna be good this year. 

I think they will be good but you have been talking special. Assume nine games at this point. What do you think the record at the end of the regular season? I think 5-4

I will add I have full confidence in the boys. But I had confidence last year. And I saw a team that was constantly beat in the fourth quarter. So what has the staff done to prepare this team to be fast and physical late in games?

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

I agree with your assessment of at least last year, we should have been in the playoffs. Finishing games many times comes down to coaching, either their playing to win or trying to clock manager and playing not to lose. There is a difference.  IMO we do too much of the latter. I guarantee teams playing against us keep the pedal to the metal when they have the opportunity. I think there are three difference that help Lukin this year, having a more talented group overall, 48 seniors help, playing in 9-5A DI and Region III, and not Region II. Most would rate Region II and Region I as the best 5A DI regions overall.

I agree with Johnson at QB, he has a component to offer the offense that hasn't been there the past three years, and yes, he should have started the rest of the year after the Forney game. I know TJ worked hard and gave it his best, he had a couple neck injuries that did not help him, and other stuff going on in his life outside of football. Hope he is doing well.  He just wasn't a mobile guy, and he seemed to stay the same between his sophomore and senior years. Not having a good OL to protect him probably didn't help him.

Having  a legit RPO guy back there helps improve both the passing and running game. I'm certainly going to like it better.

One way or another everything will turn out fine and it will be an enjoyable year of Pack football. I have a feeling in my bones, and trusting PN.

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

Lufkin was close last year, just as the were the year before. They played Lancaster well in both meetings. And if we being honest..Longview is the only team that completely dominated us in that district. All the other games were competitive except for a few head scratchers that got away from us. Mainly the two games against Forney, in which we came out slow in the first one and played tough undermanned in the second. 

My issue has nothing to do with the kids potential or talent. There have been decisions made by this staff, that I feel has greatly contributed to the lack of success by this program. I fear that some of those same decisions will bleed over into this year.

One being with Johnson at Qb. He should've been allowed allowed the majority of snaps at some point last year. I would've had handed over to him after dropping 0-2 in district against Forney. He showed me enough in limited action during that game to become full time starter. The remaining district slate would've given him invaluable experience heading into this season. And also given him and the coaches more film to see what he needed to focus on in the offseason. They decided to stay with the starter instead. Who they knew was on his way out and what his ceiling was.

So now we are left with Johnson having to use the first half of this season, taking his lumps as a full time varsity starter. And don't let me get started on them wasting Gavin Phillips on JV his sophomore year, playing a position they had no intentions of him playing on varsity. Just too much mismanagement for me to have much faith in this staff. And let us not forget them not utilizing Preston more. 

13 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

I agree with your assessment of at least last year, we should have been in the playoffs. Finishing games many times comes down to coaching, either their playing to win or trying to clock manager and playing not to lose. There is a difference.  IMO we do too much of the latter. I guarantee teams playing against us keep the pedal to the metal when they have the opportunity. I think there are three difference that help Lukin this year, having a more talented group overall, 48 seniors help, playing in 9-5A DI and Region III, and not Region II. Most would rate Region II and Region I as the best 5A DI regions overall.

I agree with Johnson at QB, he has a component to offer the offense that hasn't been there the past three years, and yes, he should have started the rest of the year after the Forney game. I know TJ worked hard and gave it his best, he had a couple neck injuries that did not help him, and other stuff going on in his life outside of football. Hope he is doing well.  He just wasn't a mobile guy, and he seemed to stay the same between his sophomore and senior years. Not having a good OL to protect him probably didn't help him.

Having  a legit RPO guy back there helps improve both the passing and running game. I'm certainly going to like it better.

One way or another everything will turn out fine and it will be an enjoyable year of Pack football. I have a feeling in my bones, and trusting PN.

You are right about TJ PA. The kid was a hard worker, and I believe he poured his heart into the position. I don't think the staff done him any favors either. Put him behind a component Oline and staff in Longview and I think he fairs a lot better. He was just too limited for this staff to depend on him in this program. Johnson the ability to bail them out when plays break down. My biggest concern with Johnson is experience and him staying healthy. I have never seen him try to avoid contact. He tried to run through LBs and Forney secondary on several plays. Hopefully they have talked to him about going down or getting out of bounds. Those hits add up quickly over the course of a season.

42 minutes ago, timeout! said:

You are right about TJ PA. The kid was a hard worker, and I believe he poured his heart into the position. I don't think the staff done him any favors either. Put him behind a component Oline and staff in Longview and I think he fairs a lot better. He was just too limited for this staff to depend on him in this program. Johnson the ability to bail them out when plays break down. My biggest concern with Johnson is experience and him staying healthy. I have never seen him try to avoid contact. He tried to run through LBs and Forney secondary on several plays. Hopefully they have talked to him about going down or getting out of bounds. Those hits add up quickly over the course of a season.

His a competitor. His dad has done a great job with him over the years. I do agree he has to know when to fight for extra yards and when to lay it down. He's going to make some spectacular plays this year and I'm sure other plays he wished he could have back. Overall I think it's a major upgrade even with his limited experience 

54 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Lufkin was close last year, just as the were the year before. They played Lancaster well in both meetings. And if we being honest..Longview is the only team that completely dominated us in that district. All the other games were competitive except for a few head scratchers that got away from us. Mainly the two games against Forney, in which we came out slow in the first one and played tough undermanned in the second. 

My issue has nothing to do with the kids potential or talent. There have been decisions made by this staff, that I feel has greatly contributed to the lack of success by this program. I fear that some of those same decisions will bleed over into this year.

One being with Johnson at Qb. He should've been allowed allowed the majority of snaps at some point last year. I would've had handed over to him after dropping 0-2 in district against Forney. He showed me enough in limited action during that game to become full time starter. The remaining district slate would've given him invaluable experience heading into this season. And also given him and the coaches more film to see what he needed to focus on in the offseason. They decided to stay with the starter instead. Who they knew was on his way out and what his ceiling was.

So now we are left with Johnson having to use the first half of this season, taking his lumps as a full time varsity starter. And don't let me get started on them wasting Gavin Phillips on JV his sophomore year, playing a position they had no intentions of him playing on varsity. Just too much mismanagement for me to have much faith in this staff. And let us not forget them not utilizing Preston more. 

I can't really disagree with anything you said here. They have a lot to prove and have mismanaged a few of these kids over the last few years. I think they have the pieces in the right place for the most part currently. Id probably play Gavin both ways. Find a rotation that works with him but I really like the ceiling and potential these guys have. I just don't see how they can mess this up. If the kids do what they're suppose to do. They should be playing on Thanksgiving at the minimum or I'll be highly disappointed. The talent is there. They don't have any more excuses at this point. You can't win with these guys then I don't know what to say. Everything is in place for a good season but I feel you. Management and coaching is always going to be what most of us worry about.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Really should have been in the post season the last 2 years but I digress. I totally get everyone's wait and see approach. It's kinda like my Texas Longhorns. I knew they were close to breaking through and I wasn't surprised one bit last year they had been building the roster and closing the gap. This year Texas is going to have a legitimate shot at the title. Same with Lufkin. Not saying Lufkin has a legitimate title shot but I'd probably wouldn't be to surprised if they got there. They're really  close and this should be a breakout year. You have to many returning starters with 48 SRs which is an extremely high number for a class at Lufkin now days. I think in 2004 we returned 30 something. Id be willing to bet that this is probably the most SRs Lufkin has returned in the Outlaw/Quick era. Everything points to them having a good team. Id be absolutely stunned if they flop this year. I just can't see it happening.

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I can't really disagree with anything you said here. They have a lot to prove and have mismanaged a few of these kids over the last few years. I think they have the pieces in the right place for the most part currently. Id probably play Gavin both ways. Find a rotation that works with him but I really like the ceiling and potential these guys have. I just don't see how they can mess this up. If the kids do what they're suppose to do. They should be playing on Thanksgiving at the minimum or I'll be highly disappointed. The talent is there. They don't have any more excuses at this point. You can't win with these guys then I don't know what to say. Everything is in place for a good season but I feel you. Management and coaching is always going to be what most of us worry about.

I said at the end of the season. I thought the staff had done you a disservice. Everything you said about this group about talent held true. I know I'm down on the staff and hope they prove me wrong and you right about where our season ends. The defense has all the potential in the world to be downright nasty. Big Hoop really came on strong the second half of the year. I'm really high on our secondary too...Young, Timmons, Waters and the safety(can't remember name) could be lights out. I heard they will find a way to put Alexander on the starting line this year. I would prefer him and Zion anchor the middle in a 4-3..but thats not happening. Does anyone know how we are looking at the LB spot outside of Hooper? I would like to see the Jones kid from JV in the rotation this year. That kid is a head hunter and really impressed me last year. 

13 hours ago, timeout! said:

I said at the end of the season. I thought the staff had done you a disservice. Everything you said about this group about talent held true. I know I'm down on the staff and hope they prove me wrong and you right about where our season ends. The defense has all the potential in the world to be downright nasty. Big Hoop really came on strong the second half of the year. I'm really high on our secondary too...Young, Timmons, Waters and the safety(can't remember name) could be lights out. I heard they will find a way to put Alexander on the starting line this year. I would prefer him and Zion anchor the middle in a 4-3..but thats not happening. Does anyone know how we are looking at the LB spot outside of Hooper? I would like to see the Jones kid from JV in the rotation this year. That kid is a head hunter and really impressed me last year. 

The LB's are going to be solid this year. Jones isn't going to really crack the rotation unless they have some injuries but the main guys you should see are Hooper, Byrd, and Murphy in the middle. Daniel Lara started most of last season has spun down to DE. On the outside you're gonna see Davis, Hood and Booker. Jones would back those guys up on the outside. I do expect to see him on special teams. I believe they plan on playing Alexander and Williams at the same time with McClendon being the other starter on the line. The safeties will be Hatton and Mosley with Timmons and Young at CB and Waters pretty much spelling anyone in the secondary. Waters could potentially push for a job. All of those guys would have started at least one game last season on defense with the majority starting most games.