2024 LUFKIN PANTHER VARSITY FOOTBALL DISCUSSION TOPIC

Coach Quick answered some questions on Smoaky.com about the 2024 season.  

How many letterman and returning starters do you have for 2024?  We are returning 29 letterman, and  6 starters on offense and 9 on defense.

Who are your 2024 college prospects? He listed Zion Williams 6-4 320 DL 5.2, Krisean Preston 6-3 199 4.5, Evan Young 6-2 185 CB, Kaden Hooper 6-1 225 LB 4.7 and Nolan Hansard 5-11 175 K 4.9

What do you see as your team's biggest concern this season?  Offensive Line coming together.

What do you expect to be your team's biggest strength this season?  Defense

What has been your most exciting moment or game in your coaching career?  John Outlaw's 300th victory in Lufkin against The Woodlands.

What is the biggest challenge facing Texas High School Football right now?    NIL

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a preliminary 2024 Panther Roster based off the 2023 Roster.  There are 48 players. Some numbers and position are changing in 2024 for a few of these players. Of course we do not have the names of any JV player moving up to Varsity in 2024. Hopefully there will be some type roster for the scrimmage game. All names listed are Seniors except where designated.  Please advise me about anyone that needs to be added. I left off two players, one I know about, the other I'm checking on now. Thanks

#6   Evan Young  CB

#8   Ke Vondrick Taylor WR/QB

#10 Juan Laura LB

#11 Jordan McClendon DE

#14  Keandre Hooper  WR

#16  Keithan Davis  LB

#17 Kaden Hooper LB

#18  Krisean Preston  WR

#19  Javion Johnson  QB - JR

#20  Kenneth Timmons  DB

#21  Quincy Coutee  WR

#23  Michael Mosley  DB

#25  Keshawn Waters  DB - JR

#26  Gavin Phillips  RB/HB/QB

#27  Demarkus  Chinn  RB

#28  Cameron Woods  DB

#30  Ross Byrd  LB

#31  Gabe Hewett  DB

#32  Raymond Parrish  DB

#36  Noland Hansard  K/P

#37  Baily Murphy  LB

#38 Xzavion Davis  DB

#39 Caden Walker  K/P

#43  Jordan Booker  LB/DB

#46  Michael Shepard  RB

#47  Karson Tilley  WR

#48 Jerimiah Smith  DB

#49  DeWayne Barnes  RB

#50   Tavorian Foreman  OL

#52 Matthew Chavez  OL 

#56  Damian Diaz  LS

#57  Giovanni Villegas  OL

#58  Elijah Menefee  LB

#61  Jamal Murphy  LB

#62  Fielding Allen  WR

#65  Juan H. Rodriguez   K/P

#66  Lincoln Shirley  OL

#67  Jaquez Johnson  OL

#68  Ethan Currie  OL

#70  Jesse Lopez  OL

#73  Elijah Alexander  DL

#75  Jerron Cauley  DL

#78  Adan Rosales  OL

#80  Jaydon Nichols   WR

#82  Zyion Hart  WR

#83  Barry Reggie  WR

#90  Kaleb Preston   DL

#96  Zion Williams  DL

#98  Desmond Hood  DL/LB  JR

Matthew Chavez started at Center for the Panthers last season as a Junior.  I did not see him in the Spring game. Is he still on the team?  Thanks

Someone mentioned to me Amontia Hatton may not be playing either. Remember him playing a lot last year as a JR, he had 28 tackles and 1 INT on the year.  No other detail to give out.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:56 PM, PackAttack said:

Lufkin coach says team is working to get back ‘Where we wanna be’

https://www.ktre.com/2024/07/17/lufkin-coach-says-team-is-working-get-back-where-we-wanna-be/

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - The Lufkin Panthers finished with five wins last season, and for head coach Todd Quick, that’s not Lufkin football.

“We have expectations here and that’s not it,” said Quick. “We’re working everyday to get back to where we wanna be.”

The big story this offseason for the Panthers was district realignment. Lufkin was put in one district by the UIL and immediately appealed the decision.

“The day it came out, I met with the deputy superintendent and we decided right then that we were gonna try and appeal it.” Quick said.

The team had to get approval to leave the district they were put in by the UIL, and get approval from the district they were going into. In the second phase of the appeal process, Quick had to go in front of the UIL and plead their case, which Lufkin eventually ended up winning.

“It’s been a long process, but it worked out,” said Quick. “It’s better for our kids, and we don’t wanna have to do that again, but we will.”

Lufkin will open their season at home against the Longview Lobos on August 30.

He knows that O-line is gonna be a problem. Should’ve found someone that can coach a line up. Gonna be interesting. 

50 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

He knows that O-line is gonna be a problem. Should’ve found someone that can coach a line up. Gonna be interesting. 

That may be Quick's loadstone to whatever legacy he will have here. When the OL has been the issue the last 4 years in a 5A DI program you have to ask why?  I've talked to a couple former offensive lineman from the past few years, so I have a little bit of an idea.

Also, still can't figure out how you hire a JaBryce Taylor as your DB coach, when he played WR his whole time in HS and college?  Just remember how great that 2012 year was for Taylor.  A phenomenal tandem between him and QB Tyler Stubblefield that year. It was fun to watch.  That's one year we couldn't play defense, had to outscore everyone.

9 hours ago, mrballin936 said:

I also like Lufkin upcoming RB he a Freshman his name is Robert Taylor 

I coached his little brother one year in youth football. He's going to be pretty good one day too if he sticks with it. Their dad and former teammate was a pretty good DE back in the day.

On 7/25/2024 at 2:32 PM, PackAttack said:

Matthew Chavez started at Center for the Panthers last season as a Junior.  I did not see him in the Spring game. Is he still on the team?  Thanks

Someone mentioned to me Amontia Hatton may not be playing either. Remember him playing a lot last year as a JR, he had 28 tackles and 1 INT on the year.  No other detail to give out.

Anyone know what our starting oline will be for this year??

Well, Quick himself said in the newspaper and on KTRE, it was essential for the OL to come together.  There is concern there or he would not have mentioned it. 

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just a reminder about the DCTF 5A DI Pre Season Top 10 picks: What do you think?, will this group hold true?

GQiYjJTWUAA-SwK.jpg

By the time Week-11 hits I could see maybe 3 of the Top-4 from preseason staying in the Top-10......🤷🏾‍♂️

Pflugerville Weiss is my wildcard for Region 3 if they stay healthy, we know who the favorites are already (CS, AMC, MHS, LP-North) 

Are you thinking Weiss because they were a 9-2 drop down from 6A and return 9 on offense. They are picked 3rd for district 12-5A DI. They have an experience 3000 yard passing QB Brown and some really good WRs coming back too. Look like a heavy passing team that put up more than 4000 yards offense in 2023. That is a tough district too with two teams in the Top 10 in 5ADI.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Are you thinking Weiss because they were a 9-2 drop down from 6A and return 9 on offense. They are picked 3rd for district 12-5A DI. They have an experience 3000 yard passing QB Brown and some really good WRs coming back too. Look like a heavy passing team that put up more than 4000 yards offense in 2023. That is a tough district too with two teams in the Top 10 in 5ADI.

9 on offense. I think the drop from 6A to 5A will benefit them come playoff time. They have some real weapons. I've been watching their games from this past season and seemed like every big play was made by a Soph or a JR. If they can stay healthy they're going to ruin a very good team season early. 

Lufkin will be an -11 point underdog in their home opener against Longview according to DCTF/Jerry's Pigskin Prep.

DCTF 2024 Preview

Coach: Todd Quick. Lettermen R/L: 25/26. Starters returning O/D: 4/8. 2023: 5-5/2-5 district. Key losses: Kedren Young (Notre Dame).

Players to watch: DL Zion Williams (6-4, 315), DB Evan Young (6-2, 190, 4.6), LB Kaden Hooper (6-1, 225, 4.7), WR Krisean Preston (6-4, 185, 4.5), DT Elijah Alexander (6-3, 300), K Nolan Hansard (5-10, 175, 4.7). Top juniors: QB Javion Johnson ( 6-2, 180, 4.5), LB Desmond Hood (6-1, 200, 4.6), DB Keshawn Waters (5-11, 170, 4.5). Other players to watch: RB Gavin Phillips (6-3, 240, 4.7), RB DeMarkus Chinn 6-0, 212, 4.5), DB Kenneth Timmons (6-0, 175, 4.5), DB Mike Mosely (6-0, 187, 4.47).

2024 notes: The Panthers move south after a realignment appeal into a more Houston-centric district and with a talented young core, Quick is hoping a change of scenery and a veteran defense will bring about a return to the playoffs. DL Williams (37 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 sacks) and DT Alexander (29 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack) will be a handful for any offensive line to handle and that should free up hard-hitting LB Hooper (106 tackles) to use his athleticism to make plays. WR Preston (28-515, 7 TDs receiving) is the lone skill player on the offensive side of the ball with significant experience returning. Another concern for the offense is youth along the offensive line. Quick believes that if his young offense can mature, there’s a good chance that his team can contend for a district title.

Note: I added Javion Johnson and DeMarkus Chinn because DCTF did not give them a mention and the fact that both will be a huge focal point of the Panther offense in2024.

9 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin will be an -11 point underdog in their home opener against Longview according to DCTF/Jerry's Pigskin Prep.

DCTF 2024 Preview

Coach: Todd Quick. Lettermen R/L: 25/26. Starters returning O/D: 4/8. 2023: 5-5/2-5 district. Key losses: Kedren Young (Notre Dame).

Players to watch: DL Zion Williams (6-4, 315), DB Evan Young (6-2, 190, 4.6), LB Kaden Hooper (6-1, 225, 4.7), WR Krisean Preston (6-4, 185, 4.5), DT Elijah Alexander (6-3, 300), K Nolan Hansard (5-10, 175, 4.7). Top juniors: QB Javion Johnson ( 6-2, 180, 4.5), LB Desmond Hood (6-1, 200, 4.6), DB Keshawn Waters (5-11, 170, 4.5). Other players to watch: RB Gavin Phillips (6-3, 240, 4.7), RB DeMarkus Chinn 6-0, 212, 4.5), DB Kenneth Timmons (6-0, 175, 4.5), DB Mike Mosely (6-0, 187, 4.47).

2024 notes: The Panthers move south after a realignment appeal into a more Houston-centric district and with a talented young core, Quick is hoping a change of scenery and a veteran defense will bring about a return to the playoffs. DL Williams (37 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 sacks) and DT Alexander (29 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack) will be a handful for any offensive line to handle and that should free up hard-hitting LB Hooper (106 tackles) to use his athleticism to make plays. WR Preston (28-515, 7 TDs receiving) is the lone skill player on the offensive side of the ball with significant experience returning. Another concern for the offense is youth along the offensive line. Quick believes that if his young offense can mature, there’s a good chance that his team can contend for a district title.

Note: I added Javion Johnson and DeMarkus Chinn because DCTF did not give them a mention and the fact that both will be a huge focal point of the Panther offense in2024.

The predictor is gonna be way off the first couple of games 

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/carthage-malakoff-top-preseason-east-texas-rankings/article_8a7bbbba-c1a4-5d0d-aee4-b934a3da682e.html

I've never liked these East Texas football polls that lump 4A/5A/6A all together in those rankings. They call it #beasTTexas Fabulous 15. Anyway, Carthage is a great program with 9 titles, but I doubt they can beat Longview, or even Lufkin this year, or Tyler.  They even rank folks like Lindale ,Kilgore and Chapel Hill ahead of Lufkin, Tyler and 6A Tyler Legacy. I kick myself every year for reading it, and they rearrange it every week during the season.   They can say it's all in fun, but frankly there is no reality to it.

6A/5A/4A

Team Points 2023 Record 2023 Final

1. Carthage (10) 203 13-1 1

2. Longview (1) 173 11-2 2

3. Chapel Hill (1) 171 13-3 8

4. Gilmer (2) 170 13-3 5

5. Texas High 147 11-2 6

6. Pleasant Grove 145 12-1 3

7. Kilgore 143 12-2 4

8. Lindale 97 7-5 7

9. Lufkin 68 5-6 NR

10. Van 62 8-4 13

11. Tyler 59 6-4 14

12. Whitehouse 58 7-4 10

13. Tyler Legacy 43 3-8 12

14. Pine Tree 42 6-5 15

15. Center 37 7-4 9

Others receiving votes: Sulphur Springs 25; Jasper 13; Brownsboro 10; Caddo Mills 9; Marshall 8; Canton 3; Spring Hill 3; Palestine 1.

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/staff-raises-part-of-lisds-balanced-budget-proposal/article_7e320851-78ec-58e7-9f8c-61f9b2adff5b.html

After two straight years with a budget deficit, the Lufkin ISD school board on Tuesday was presented with a balanced budget proposal for the upcoming school year that includes raises for district staff.

A balanced budget proposal for the 2024-25 school year that includes a 2.5% pay raise for LISD employees.

Property appraisal values within the district are more than $3.4 billion, a 5.4% increase from 2023.

Although this year’s revenue is projected to be down 1.5%, expenses have been cut 12.1%.

Projected revenue for the 2024-25 school year is $71,621,711, and projected expenses are $71.62 million, of which $56.38 million is payroll.

The district worked toward reducing non-personnel expenses by 12.1% and personnel expenses by 7%. The personnel expenses should be between 80% and 85%, but the district was at 91.4% at the end of 2023 -2024 year.

So it looks like the district trimmed about $4 million (7%) off personnel expenses over the summer with the new balanced budget.  I'm happy to see the district get back on track, that situation did not happen overnight and thanks to a lot of new faces and leadership things are now headed back in the right direction for the future.

FYI - Will be taking down the 2023 season stats this week, getting ready for the 2024 season. Take a last look or make a copy if that is something you want to keep a record for whatever reason.

Also the historical section is mostly up to date, still working on a couple things. Slowly working to get a little more info out there. Hopefully there will be someone to take up the standard to keep up stats and history when I may no longer be doing this board in the future.  We'll see what transpires in the next couple years to see if a change happens to peak my interest enough to continue on. It would have to be something substantial. 

I don't know about y'all,  but I would love to see good old Abe return to it's glory days of a PACKed house that was tough for visiting teams to play in.

I sit in the general admission seats closest to the PAC and I love looking across at the home side's sea of purple. But these last few seasons it has looked so empty. Come out and support the kids, don't be a fair weather fan.

Let's Back the Pack!!

3 hours ago, 99_Pack said:

I don't know about y'all,  but I would love to see good old Abe return to it's glory days of a PACKed house that was tough for visiting teams to play in.

I sit in the general admission seats closest to the PAC and I love looking across at the home side's sea of purple. But these last few seasons it has looked so empty. Come out and support the kids, don't be a fair weather fan.

Let's Back the Pack!!

I've had our tickets up on Row 40 on the home side since 1988.  This may be the last year we stay up that high up, may look into swapping for some lower seats next year. To your point, we have had almost zero fans sitting around us for several rows the last three seasons. The exception was two years ago for the Longview game in 2022, after that game, just a bunch of empty seats the rest of the season.  The main issue the last couple years has been students coming up in groups and trying to sit in reserved areas, the district have posted school officials there the last two years to move them to the proper student areas.  IMO they should make Section A on the home side the STUDENT section again, like it use to be years ago.  The officials are trying to keep all the student from under the stands, which is a great idea and safer for everyone.  Before they started clearing out the kids under the stands it was almost impossible to get to the concessions on the home side.

To fill the stands again?, the football program needs to start winning, not missing the playoffs, not finishing 5-5, 5-6, 6-4 and 4-6.  I'm one of those crazy fans who has not missed a game in 26 years, so guess I'm more disappointed than most because I've actually witnessed live the results of of the past few seasons. Some may say people should go because of community spirit or whatever. The truth is people want to follow a winner, not a loser, and frankly Lufkin football is no longer the only game in town like in the old days. You've got to accomplish something substantial to get folks attention, get them out to see the kids play.  I can guarantee if the same results had been happening in Longview, people would not come out to watch the Lobos either, in fact John King might not be the coach today. Maybe that's the difference between Lufkin and Longview football these days. The shadow of John Outlaw's success faded over a decade ago and so have the football fans in the home stands at ABE.