Jump to content

2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion


Recommended Posts

Before the 2020 Season gets here, Lufkin will have their starting RB Berry,  QB Moore and WR Wright all receiving some kind of Div I scholarship offers.  Let's see what the program does with that in 2020.  Smallwood will have DI offers on the defensive side too.  Again, the tool shed is not bare.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/20/2020 at 7:18 AM, PackAttack said:

Wilburn Smallwood had a great Texas Top 100 camp this weekend.

 

 

Hopefully Caleb Berry and Jordan Moore can get into some camps in the off season.  Lots to learn when competing with other great talent in Texas.

 

Hard time understanding why Jordan Moore is not getting more attention and invites. Maybe because he's in basketball but I doubt it. Coaches should had made sure he was at the Top 100

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/IM_CP7/status/1219104567239024642

Here is a link if anybody wants to check out my Step son spinning the ball at the Top 100 camp in Dallas on Sunday. Several power 5 QBs were there in attendance. He actually hooked up with a long TD bomb to the Longview freshman WR who they actually happen know each other from playing AAU together. Jalen Hale going to end up being the best WR they have had to come through. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Matt Stepp just posted Longview pre district schedule.

Temple, Marshall, Lufkin, West Monroe. Lufkin and WM are just tenitive and could change.

 

Just makes no sense at all to play someone that you may see in the playoffs. I know Quick has done that before and it doesn't work out for us. He is just looking for close games that he can intertwine with the MS teams. Quick has never beaten Longview in the playoffs. 

It amazes me how intertwined Stepp is with the Longview program with all this inside information with schedules and district set ups. 

You would hope your coach would do what is best for his program to be the most successful. The fact that Quick can't beat Longview in the playoffs does not do that.

Personally, I think there is a lot waiting to see how the realighnment goes down. If Longview and JT go south, they are going to hate those 8 hour plus round trip drives.  Glad it will be no different  for us. A two hour or so swing down, and the same back to Lufkin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just makes no sense at all to play someone that you may see in the playoffs. I know Quick has done that before and it doesn't work out for us. He is just looking for close games that he can intertwine with the MS teams. Quick has never beaten Longview in the playoffs. 

It amazes me how intertwined Stepp is with the Longview program with all this inside information with schedules and district set ups. 

You would hope your coach would do what is best for his program to be the most successful. The fact that Quick can't beat Longview in the playoffs does not do that.

Personally, I think there is a lot waiting to see how the realighnment goes down. If Longview and JT go south, they are going to hate those 8 hour plus round trip drives.  Glad it will be no different  for us. A two hour or so swing down, and the same back to Lufkin.

I'm hoping Lufkin can find its way into region 3. So it's looks like we know Longview and Nacogdoches will be our schedule. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm hoping Lufkin can find its way into region 3. So it's looks like we know Longview and Nacogdoches will be our schedule. 

Quick says playing Longview makes us better.  That has not been proven to be true.  Quick in his 8 years as HC is 2-8 against Longview.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2020 at 2:30 PM, PurpleNation said:

I'm hoping Lufkin can find its way into region 3. So it's looks like we know Longview and Nacogdoches will be our schedule. 

Let’s be real Book, It really doesn’t matter what region we are in. Unless a Reggie or Jorvorskie type is moving up that i haven’t heard about. 
 

Not sure why some of y’all are looking forward to this season. I can understand if we heard about some significant coaching changes or heck something within the program this offseason, but nothing..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Let’s be real Book, It really doesn’t matter what region we are in. Unless a Reggie or Jorvorskie type is moving up that i haven’t heard about. 
 

Not sure why some of y’all are looking forward to this season. I can understand if we heard about some significant coaching changes or heck something within the program this offseason, but nothing..

Not exactly looking forward to the season.  It's just unfathomable to imagine we will do any better with our returning talent, than we have failed to do the past 2 seasons. That is a reasonable thought, because  nothing has been accomplished to prove differently.  Is it coaching?  Player discipline ?  Do we need 10  DI type players to do better ?   Not going to say any of that because, there is always people who dispute those are the problems.  Or, do we not have the talent accumulative we had  15 -18 years ago to compete in 5A DI ???  I don't know.  What I do know,   in the last 14 years,  since 2005 when Lufkin was a 6A Semi Finalist, the Panthers are only  8 -14  in the playoffs.  Fourteen years, just let that sink in a moment.  NINE of those FOURTEEN years have been One and Done seasons.   That is why fewer people looks forward to Panther football.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Let’s be real Book, It really doesn’t matter what region we are in. Unless a Reggie or Jorvorskie type is moving up that i haven’t heard about. 
 

Not sure why some of y’all are looking forward to this season. I can understand if we heard about some significant coaching changes or heck something within the program this offseason, but nothing..

I think with Region 3 it atleast gives us more winnable games. Shadow Creek is gone to 6A. You got Hutto, Foster and New Caney that can present problems but nothing like Lone Star, Ryan, Highland Park, Lancaster and now Longview. Region 3 would just be easier to navigate if we got a run in us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not looking forward to this season at all. I honestly think we will be worse. Depending on where we go come Feb 3rd, I actually have us going 7-3 this year. IF longview is on the schedule. New Caney and college station will beat us. We already know we ain’t beating longview lol... King is just clowning quick at this point. Cut us loose. It does the lobos no good anyways. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not exactly looking forward to the season.  It's just unfathomable to imagine we will do any better with our returning talent, than we have failed to do the past 2 seasons. That is a reasonable thought, because  nothing has been accomplished to prove differently.  Is it coaching?  Player discipline ?  Do we need 10  DI type players to do better ?   Not going to say any of that because, there is always people who dispute those are the problems.  Or, do we not have the talent accumulative we had  15 -18 years ago to compete in 5A DI ???  I don't know.  What I do know,   in the last 14 years,  since 2005 when Lufkin was a 6A Semi Finalist, the Panthers are only  8 -14  in the playoffs.  Fourteen years, just let that sink in a moment.  NINE of those FOURTEEN years have been One and Done seasons.   That is why fewer people looks forward to Panther football.  

 

I don’t care what anyone says.....the main problem is coaching. You can’t blame the players every year we lose in the first round. We have the same type of kids (not really talking about talent in regards to NS) and discipline problems that teams like Longview and North Shore deal with, but you don’t see them making excuses about it. People should be held accountable at the top. That’s the problem 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pack007 said:

I don’t care what anyone says.....the main problem is coaching. You can’t blame the players every year we lose in the first round. We have the same type of kids (not really talking about talent in regards to NS) and discipline problems that teams like Longview and North Shore deal with, but you don’t see them making excuses about it. People should be held accountable at the top. That’s the problem 

You CAN say that, and it's okay.  Maybe I don't completely disagree, however hope you know the reason I can't say more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

I know some is on the kids and they screw up too. I’ve said a hundred times Waco and those turnovers were on them a few seasons ago. But 2019....I’m not putting it all on them. 

I agree....😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Thursday, the powerlifters travel for a meet at Jasper. Additionally, the JV tennis team goes on the road to play the John Tyler Lions. On Friday and Saturday, the swim team travels to College Station for the regional swim meet at Texas A&M. The top two2 finishers in each event automatically qualify for the state swim meet in two weeks at the University of Texas in Austin. Prelims are Friday, and finals are Saturday. Also on Friday: The varsity tennis team travels to play the Jacksonville Indians. The basketball teams play host to Jacksonville. Game times are the same as Tuesday. The boys soccer teams host John Tyler. JV is at 4:30 p.m., followed by varsity at 6.The girls soccer teams travel to Tyler to play the Lady Lions. JV is at 4 p.m., and varsity is at 6.This Week in LP Sports By Panther Growls.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lufkin High School Enrollment numbers the last 20 years: Interesting how the drops between 2013 and 2017coincide with the closure of major businesses in the area,  then you see a slow increase from the recovery from those losses..

2019: 2177

2018: 2156

2017:  2151

2016: 2,142

2015: 2,154

2014: 2,136

2013: 2,208

2012: 2,196

2011: 2,231

2010: 2,257

2009: 2,298

2008: 2,329

2007: 2,363

2006: 2,412

2005: 2,341

2004: 2,232

2003: 2,224

2002: 2,193

2001: 2,196

2000: 2,245

1999: 2,253

Lufkin ISD in 2005 had around 8000 students in the district.  In January 2020 , the Superintendent  Mrs. Torres told the Angelina Chamber of Commerce that Lufkin ISD has 7,100 students and 1,300 employees.  She said the district is 76.9% economically disadvantaged and 61.55% at risk, according to the state measurements.

Because of its economically disadvantaged population, the district was able to apply for a program allowing all of its students to partake in free breakfast and lunch.

“This year, we went to the Community Eligibility Program, which means, in our schools, because we meet this criteria and this economically disadvantaged percentage is so high, all of our children can eat breakfast and lunch, regardless of whether or not they’ve filled out the form,” she said.

“I think next year you’re going to see that number grow significantly because what we find is that when you’re a high school student, you’re least likely to fill out that form and seek help because it’s more noticed. This way, everybody’s eating and you don’t know who is on free and reduced and who isn’t.”

Torres also talked about the $75 million bond that was passed in 2018 to rebuild the middle school, build a multi-purpose facility on the high school campus and build baseball/softball fields on the high school campus.

The district hosted a groundbreaking for the construction work on the multi-purpose facility on Oct. 25, and bids will go out for the middle school and ballfields around the end of January 2020, she said.

“One of the things we’re most proud of is the list of local vendors who won the bids for the multi-purpose facility,” Torres said. “The total portion for that is $3.8 million.” to local vendors of the $8.8 million set for the multi purpose project.

That number might go up,  because of the number of vendors from outside Lufkin who will buy supplies from Lufkin businesses. She also reminded those in attendance that the rest of the bond will be coming up for bid soon.

 

“My plea to local vendors is (the middle school) that’s about a $60 million project total,” she said. “That’s a three-year to a three-and-a-half-year project. Hopefully local vendors will come forward and win the bid on that.”

She touched on some of the successes the district has had including the state-winning Lufkin Panther Band, the growing number of National Merit Scholars and National Hispanic Recognition scholars and more.

“In Lufkin ISD, we have had four state championships in four different sports — baseball, football, soccer and basketball,” she said. “When you call the UIL to ask about that, they will tell you that this phenomenon has only happened three times in the state.”

She highlighted some of the district’s programs like its bilingual program and its Young Scholars program. She commended businesses and educational institutions like Lockheed Martin, Georgia-Pacific, Angelina College and Stephen F. Austin State University for their partnership with LISD.

“It is a pleasure to serve in Lufkin ISD,” Torres said. “Not very often would a little old woman be able to work in a place for 44 years.”



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Pack007 said:

I don’t care what anyone says.....the main problem is coaching. You can’t blame the players every year we lose in the first round. We have the same type of kids (not really talking about talent in regards to NS) and discipline problems that teams like Longview and North Shore deal with, but you don’t see them making excuses about it. People should be held accountable at the top. That’s the problem 

I actually agree with you. I think it's more on coaching then the kids and Quick would be the first to say that. I like Moore is in his 3rd year. Think that will be a huge advantage. I'm not going to count these guys out until I see what they look like next year. I actually like the low expectations. Seems like when you least expect it they have a good season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, PackAttack said:

It amazes me how intertwined Stepp is with the Longview program with all this inside information with schedules and district set ups.

He found the non district stuff out by attending the Piney Woods Coaching Clinic. Had over 700 high school coaches in Longview at the time. Was in town at the time, and was able to speak to Peevy from West Brook for a bit. Very nice guy.

I'm shocked Lufkin is set in stone tbh. The Marshall game I figured the admin would win out, even though neither coaching staffs want to play the game anymore. Shame we couldn't move on this time, but I think it's close to ending than not. The Lufkin game, I have no idea why other than it's a close game and a fierce rivalry. But as y'all have said, if we meet up in the first round or even the third. Just, is a lot. Ah well.

The district set up with his insight is probably from Highland Park throwing a huge fit about having to coming to Longview if we're in the same district. They don't want to come to East Texas at all. We'll see if the UIL has the balls to step up and put us where it makes sense to put us (going West to DFW with them).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

He found the non district stuff out by attending the Piney Woods Coaching Clinic. Had over 700 high school coaches in Longview at the time. Was in town at the time, and was able to speak to Peevy from West Brook for a bit. Very nice guy.

I'm shocked Lufkin is set in stone tbh. The Marshall game I figured the admin would win out, even though neither coaching staffs want to play the game anymore. Shame we couldn't move on this time, but I think it's close to ending than not. The Lufkin game, I have no idea why other than it's a close game and a fierce rivalry. But as y'all have said, if we meet up in the first round or even the third. Just, is a lot. Ah well.

The district set up with his insight is probably from Highland Park throwing a huge fit about having to coming to Longview if we're in the same district. They don't want to come to East Texas at all. We'll see if the UIL has the balls to step up and put us where it makes sense to put us (going West to DFW with them).

That is an absolute great way to gather a bunch of high school football information right from the source.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

He found the non district stuff out by attending the Piney Woods Coaching Clinic. Had over 700 high school coaches in Longview at the time. Was in town at the time, and was able to speak to Peevy from West Brook for a bit. Very nice guy.

I'm shocked Lufkin is set in stone tbh. The Marshall game I figured the admin would win out, even though neither coaching staffs want to play the game anymore. Shame we couldn't move on this time, but I think it's close to ending than not. The Lufkin game, I have no idea why other than it's a close game and a fierce rivalry. But as y'all have said, if we meet up in the first round or even the third. Just, is a lot. Ah well.

The district set up with his insight is probably from Highland Park throwing a huge fit about having to coming to Longview if we're in the same district. They don't want to come to East Texas at all. We'll see if the UIL has the balls to step up and put us where it makes sense to put us (going West to DFW with them).

It has always amazed me how HP has a greater degree of pull with the UIL than other top programs and succeeding in keeping their numbers under the 6A level each realignment.  LOL

As far as the Lufkin-Longview football match up in non district.  It is just an easy game to schedule for both coaches, no surprises and no unknowns.  It is one less game the coaches need to worry about and trying to convince some other coach from the Dallas metroplex or Houston area to come to Lufkin or Longview for that one home game in those two years of realignment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Idk why we play longview either. I guess so coach can say he actually played someone good close lol.... Lufkin WILL NOT beat longview again under this staff. Mark my words. Kinda like how dallas wasn’t ever gonna win a title under garrett and how houston won’t win one under O’Brien. Some things are so easy to point out and predict that it ought to be illegal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Idk why we play longview either. I guess so coach can say he actually played someone good close lol.... Lufkin WILL NOT beat longview again under this staff. Mark my words. Kinda like how dallas wasn’t ever gonna win a title under garrett and how houston won’t win one under O’Brien. Some things are so easy to point out and predict that it ought to be illegal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Me personally wish we didn't play Longview in the non district.  Everything however is beyond what I think on the matter.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...