2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

That is the first I've heard of no away team bands??   That is not what we have been told. We were told that the full marching band would be at the home games, while something similar in size to the Panther JAM Band would make the out of town trips. This was in print on the UIL site.  Someone needs to check on this information.

https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/covid-19/2020-2021-uil-covid-19-risk-mitigation-guidelines

Student Groups not directly involved in the game or contest

Student groups such as marching bands, cheerleaders, drill teams, and other groups approved by the school district may attend and perform at games or contests in which they are not competing. Schools should consider limiting the number of participants to those essential to the performance.

1. These student groups should remain separate from the game or contest participants at all times. These student groups should avoid mixing with fans or non-group members throughout the game or contest.
  2. Student groups are required to wear face coverings as described in Executive Order GA-29.
  3. Schools should consider limiting the number of students and staff given access to the playing areas and ensure protocols for entering and exiting the playing areas are in place.
  4. Fans and spectators should be located to provide at least 10 feet of distance from bands playing wind instruments from the stands.
  5. These students should maintain appropriate distancing from game or contest participants at all times, including when on the sideline.

In fact I've been told that the band will use instrument bell covers to help protect any spray or droplets that might escape while playing the instrument.  

The UIL site also states this about the 50% Stadium capacity rule. Police, EMT personnel, media and on-field participants (coaches, players, fans, officials, cheerleaders and such) will not be factored into the seating capacity.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not enjoying online Live HS football so far.  Too many technical difficulties and some of the announcing is suspect. How's the corn crop doing? 2nd and 4 from the 26.  We sure need some rain.  Looks like 3rd and 2 for a first down,  Heard it might rain this weekend.  Boy, that will help folks around here.   Not kidding. 😄

Frankly, the smaller schools are not social distancing that well in the stands.  Some have chosen not to have bands or half times.  There will be some kinks to work out and you know things will get better as the season moves along.

Frankly a lack of atmosphere when no bands there..

On 8/27/2020 at 9:31 PM, PackAttack said:

Got to watch my home town play. George West Longhorns. Beat West Ose out of Corpus Chrsti,TEXAS.

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I'm not enjoying online Live HS football so far.  Too many technical difficulties and some of the announcing is suspect. How's the corn crop doing? 2nd and 4 from the 26.  We sure need some rain.  Looks like 3rd and 2 for a first down,  Heard it might rain this weekend.  Boy, that will help folks around here.   Not kidding. 😄

Frankly, the smaller schools are not social distancing that well in the stands.  Some have chosen not to have bands or half times.  There will be some kinks to work out and you know things will get better as the season moves along.

See...that’s what i was saying. The atmosphere just won’t be the same without the bands. 

10 hours ago, PackAttack said:

On 8/29/2020 at 4:05 AM, Pack007 said:

See...that’s what i was saying. The atmosphere just won’t be the same without the bands. 

I watched the Lampasas vs Brownwood game. Lampasas band was there and neither fan base social distanced no way they followed the 50%. Hopefully this doesn't ruin it for us.

On 8/30/2020 at 10:36 AM, PurpleNation said:

I watched the Lampasas vs Brownwood game. Lampasas band was there and neither fan base social distanced no way they followed the 50%. Hopefully this doesn't ruin it for us.

I believe most Texans don't give a rip about the 50% capacity rule. I'm sure they are asked to do so by the schools, but the schools can not enforce it.    These smaller schools, rural country schools have not been social distancing all that much away from the stadium, so they don't see the need when they come to the stadium.  If you have a mask on,  then it doesn't matter much anyway, because that's all one seems to need in a crowded Lowe's or grocery store.  I didn't see many mask in the stands with the games I watched,  Rockdale/LaGrange, Gilmer/Gladewater, Fredricksburg/Monahans and Waco La Vega/ Port Lavaca.  

La Vega is a dynamic team.  Love their team concept and coaching.  They are the real deal in 4A DIV I,  great uniforms too.   

bannerCarthage-vs-LaVega-4AI-2019-27-of-

Gilmer is good, don't know how good Gladewater really is,  just judging by 1st games.  You have to wonder about conditioning.  Lots of cramps out there and Rockdale lost their starting Sr. QB after a long run in the 3rd quarter. He had to be taken off on a stretcher with a broken leg.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/community/rockdale-rallying-behind-injured-quarterback/500-a5b2b130-a410-49f7-a71b-ce14c9013f74

Let's see what happens after 2 weeks of going to school and playing games.  If things go well, then everyone should be ready to go.  It is more of a mental thing right now to get ready, just knowing your going to play really helps the preparations process.  The working out and keeping in shape can get boring after awhile.  

LUFKIN SR, LB Khaden Maxie # 52 , 6-1, 215 lbs (2019)  67 tackles 4 sacks 5 TFL

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11013417/5dd378546e817513e894b32d

Kmaxie19 (@MaxieKhaden) | Twitter

Looking for great thing from Khaden this season. He has really worked hard in this extended off season. He is bigger and faster. One of the best LB in East Texas that no one is talking about right now.  They will be, once the Panther start playing.

Some things we don't think about sometimes is how COVID has also affected game officials participating in games around the State.

Read entire article HERE:  https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/08/31/-do-we-need-officials-we-certainly-do-how-texas-association-of-sports-officials-is-coping-with-covid-19?ref=article_preview_title

Like everything else in life, COVID-19 has taken its toll on the Texas Association of Sports Officials, one of the largest professional organizations for sports officials in the country.

By William WilkersonWilliam Wilkerson - DCTF

The 2020 Texas high school football season is officially underway, at least at the 1A through 4A levels, which means the statewide juggling act of staffing games has commenced for the Texas Association of Sports Officials.

Like everything else in life, COVID-19 has taken its toll on TASO, one of the largest professional organizations for sports officials in the country.

“We are about 1,000 members behind where we were last year,” said Bill Theodore, TASO’s Assistant Executive Director. “We have over 4,900 [football officials]. In a typical season we have about 5,800.”

Theodore didn’t feel the need to sound the alarm just yet, but did mention that without an increase in numbers there could be a need for altered schedules at the sub-varsity level.

“As of right this minute, we don’t think we’re going to experience a problem covering varsity games statewide,” he said. “But it might be an issue with sub-varsity and junior high because there are more games. Until we get started, we’re really not sure where it’s going to be.

“We’ve been working with the UIL and with the schools about rescheduling if we can’t cover them on a certain day. There may be some schools that won’t even have a junior high season because of COVID. Until we get into Week 2 or Week 3 of 1A-4A, and Week 2 or Week 3 of 5A-6A we really don’t know.”

If you would like to become an official,  you might want to get in contact with one of these groups.

http://sites.lufkinisd.org/lhs/2020/08/31/football-season-info/

We already know that the season will look a lot different. We can only fill the stands at 50% capacity. There will not be any season tickets this year, but your season tickets are automatically reserved for you for next school year.

Tickets will be sold first to the parents of the performing students at Lufkin High School on Tuesday before Friday night’s game. Parents will only be allowed to purchase 4 tickets. On Wednesday, the tickets will open to the public and will be for sale at the DEC building at 701 North Street from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Each customer may purchase 4 tickets. On Thursday, the day before the game, the tickets will be sold on the high school campus for staff and students during lunches. They will be allowed to purchase 2 tickets. The day of the game, however many tickets are left, may be purchased online at www.lufkinisdtickets.com for $8. The remaining tickets will be sold at the gate.

You may purchase tickets for home or visitor side, but there will not be any assigned or numbered seating. Family members may sit together, but will be responsible for socially distancing from other patrons. All attendees must wear a mask unless eating or drinking. The concession stand will be open, but the menu will be limited and will be prepackaged items.

Ticket prices this year will be $5 pre-sale and $8 for the day of the game either online or at the gate.

Games will be filmed and live streamed from our website www.lufkinisd.org.

The first home game is on October 2 and will begin at 7:00 p.m. The gates will open at 5:30 p.m.

Thank you for being a faithful fan of the Lufkin Panthers, and we hope that we will be back to our reserved seats and full house next year.

*Information accurate as of 8/31/20.

118688356_422670305376039_1029772019009974357_n.png

1 hour ago, Chadalac05 said:

Do you know how the live stream is going to work PA? Do we just buy the single game to view it or what?

As far as we know it will be an endeavor by the LHS media department and Gary Ivins Radio broadcast melded together.  Games will be filmed and live streamed from the LHS website @ www.lufkinisd.org.   

We believe as free.

I'm estimating again.  Based on some other similar size schools with similar sized stadiums. Here goes my figuring,  and I bet I'm close.

All students connected with the band, drill, cheer, cheerleaders and football will be allowed on Tuesday of that weeks home game to purchase up to 4 tickets per family.  My estimates are generous.

We are starting with a total number of seat at 5233 ( based on the 50% capacity rule for Abe Martin)Just for conversation sake I say there will be 400 participating students  X 4 equals 1600 tickets.  Remember, guessing very generous here.

5233 less 1600 = 3633.     We then have to figure in about 800 tickets for the visitors.    3633 minus 800 = 2833.    This looks to be the number of tickets for sale to the public.  

Tickets will be sold first to the parents of the performing students at Lufkin High School on Tuesday before Friday night’s game. Parents will only be allowed to purchase 4 tickets. On Wednesday, the tickets will open to the public and will be for sale at the DEC building at 701 North Street from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Each customer may purchase 4 tickets. On Thursday, the day before the game, the tickets will be sold on the high school campus for staff and students during lunches. They will be allowed to purchase 2 tickets. The day of the game, however many tickets are left, may be purchased online at www.lufkinisdtickets.com for $8. The remaining tickets will be sold at the gate.

Don't know if they are going to offer hill side seating at ABE.  Also can not confirm earlier mentions of aluminum seating being brought in to accommodate the marching bands. 

Most schools our size are allowing 800 seats to the visitor sections, so I used that figure for Panther home games.  You can bet some of our 8-5A district stadiums could be less, unless they have also made added arrangement for band seating.. 

All of this information has been posted here before, however it gets lost in the shuffle of multiple pages of information.  Frankly, I get stuff posted too early at times, so when the actual season begins, that information is buried so far back in the post, it can't be found easily.   Now that it is September and we are on the cusp of beginning the actual season practices on September 7th, thought I would rehash the information from Matt Stepp @ Dave Campbell's Texas Football  about what he thinks about 5A Division I, Region II football in 2020.  So, here you go. Enjoy.

Regional Outlook

Region II starts out with a bang with perennial power Denton Ryan moving over from Region I to join Frisco ISD which features last year’s Region II champion Frisco Lone Star along with a really dangerous Frisco Independence squad. This may finally be Ryan’s year to bring a state title home, look for Independence with their returning talent to edge past Lone Star for the second spot. The battle for fourth place is going to be very interesting as any of the remaining six teams can make a claim.

6-5A Division I has a lot of intrigue, not much at the top as Lancaster is a massive favorite in this district. After the Tigers you’ve got eight teams who haven’t had much recent success all competing for three playoff spots that appear to be pretty wide open. Woodrow Wilson, Dallas White (dropping down from 6A) and Carrollton Smith get the early nod, but its anyone’s race after that.

The headliners in 7-5A Division I are at the top with 6A dropdown Longview and perennial power Highland Park leading the way, Longview gets the edge in this showdown because the game this year is being played at Lobo Stadium. McKinney North, a district champion a year ago lost a lot but the Bulldogs should hold off what we think will be a much-improved John Tyler squad. If you are looking for a sleeper, don’t count out a very scrappy Sherman bunch.

8-5A Division I takes us out of the DFW area down into the northern reaches of the Houston area, where Lufkin looks to once again be the dominant team in this loop. College Station and district newcomer New Caney (who won 9-5A Division I a year ago) will put up strong fights and expect to be in playoff contention. Expect a three-way battle for fourth place with Magnolia West, Magnolia and New Caney Porter all capable contenders of that coveted final playoff slot.

District Predictions

District 5-5A Division I

1. Denton Ryan
  2. Frisco Independence
  3. Frisco Lone Star
  4. Frisco Reedy
  5. The Colony
  6. Frisco Wakeland
  7. Denton
  8. Frisco Heritage
  9. Frisco Centennial

District 6-5A Division I

1. Lancaster
  2. Dallas Wilson
  3. Dallas White
  4. Carrollton Smith
  5. Dallas Adams
  6. Dallas Molina
  7. Dallas Samuell
  8. Carrollton Turner
  9. Dallas Sunset

District 7-5A Division I

1. Longview
  2. Highland Park
  3. McKinney North
  4. Tyler John Tyler
  5. Sherman
  6. West Mesquite
  7. Wylie East

District 8-5A Division I

1. Lufkin
  2. College Station
  3. New Caney
  4. Magnolia West
  5. Magnolia
  6. New Caney Porter
  7. Waller
  8. Conroe Caney Creek
  9. Cleveland

Predicted Playoff Matchups

W5 Denton Ryan vs F6 Carrollton Smith

R8 College Station vs T7 McKinney North

W6 Lancaster vs F5 Frisco Reedy

R7 Highland Park vs T8 New Caney

W7 Longview vs F8 Magnolia West

R6 Dallas Wilson vs T5 Frisco Lone Star

W8 Lufkin vs F7 Tyler John Tyler

R5 Frisco Independence vs T6 Dallas White

Playoff Sleeper

Lufkin: The Panthers will be overshadowed in this region with the likes of Denton Ryan, Longview and Highland Park grabbing headlines and that may be just the way Todd Quick’s squad likes it. When Lufkin has high expectations they tend to under-achieve, but when they are over-looked they often exceed projections.  

Regional Winner

Denton Ryan over Longview: The Raiders earn their fifth straight regional title and this one will be earned in a brutally tough Region and a brutally tough regional final that pits them against Longview. If these two meet it’ll be as physical a football game as you’ll see and will be a lot of fun to watch. Denton Ryan’s battle tested mentality could be what carries them to that elusive state title in January 2021.

Here is a little something about new Tyler Legacy HC Joe Willis:

Joe Willis, who won a state championship in 2012 with Cedar Park and most recently has coached at Colleyville Heritage, will lead the Red Raiders this season.

Willis, an East Texas Baptist University graduate, has averaged 10 wins a season as a head coach with a 90-38 record. He has coached high school football a total of 27 years.

When told Willis was expected to be named the Legacy coach, Dave Henigan, the head coach at Denton Ryan said, “I think it’s a great hire.”

Henigan said it is tough to prepare a defense to defend a football team coached by Willis.

“He’s obviously well-respected in the profession, they’ve been in our district the last few years,” said Henigan. “His teams are always well-coached, play extremely hard and his teams are tough.

“It’s very difficult to prepare for his offenses, they are multiple and tempo-oriented and keep you off balanced,” Henigan continued. “It’s just a well-coached team.”

Willis is also known for being good with kids.

“You are getting a proven winner and obviously a state champion coach,” said Henigan. “All indication he is good with kids, I think it’s a great hire.

https://lufkindailynews.com/coronavirus/article_0a455cb3-af86-59f2-83f5-abba4097616b.html#utm_source=lufkindailynews.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletters%2Flists%2Fbreaking%2F%3F-dc%3D1599076821&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

The Diboll Lumberjacks' athletic season has been postponed for at least a week after various student-athletes and other members of the student body experienced symptoms that could be related to COVID-19.

The Diboll football team was scheduled to play Woodville on Friday night, but that game has been canceled, along with Thursday night's JV games.

In addition, the Lady Jacks' volleyball game against Warren, which was scheduled for Friday, also was canceled.

Diboll head coach and athletic director Blake Morrison confirmed the cancellations early Wednesday afternoon, and superintendent Vicki Thomas later released a statement in regards to the school and the student-athletes.

"Today, we were notified that we have several student athletes and other members of our student body who attended a party over the weekend and are now exhibiting symptoms that could be related to COVID-19," Thomas said in the statement. "Those symptoms include fever, loss of taste and smell, diarrhea and vomiting. Those students' parents have been notified and those students have been sent home."

Most of these Panthers were juniors last year, started or played regularly in the rotations all year.  There are a couple of new faces and one returning from an injury.  This is a talented bunch of kids and I have not even added all the kids like Junior Journie Thomas who will have an impact for the Panthers this year.

QB

Lufkin SR 3* QB Jordan Moore (6'3 200) (2 offers)

RB

Lufkin SR 3* RB Caleb Berry (6'2 210) (20 offers and committed to Washington)

Lufkin SR RB Todderick Johnson (5' 10" 200)

WR

Lufkin SR WR Kelton Wright (6' 4" 190) (2 offers and committed to Texas Southern)

Lufkin SR WR A.J. Montgomery (6' 1" 175 4.5)

Lufkin SR WR Christian Diaz (5' 10" 170 4.5)

OL

Lufkin SR OG/C Riley Self ( 6' 5" 300)

Lufkin SR OG/C Alex Pruitt ( 6' 5" 310)

Lufkin SR OG/T William McCall (6' 1" 275)

Lufkin  JR  OT Trent Mosby  (6' 3" 250)

Lufkin SR OT Kedaren Holman ( 6' 3" 275)

TE

Lufkin SR TE/LB Sam Flack (6' 3" 210)

DB

Lufkin SR DB Julian Diaz ( 5' 10" 170 4.5)

Lufkin SR DB/LB Charlie Arnold (6' 2" 185)

Lufkin JR DB Jaykeevien Collins ( 6'  175 )

DL

Lufkin SR DE Kayson Elijah (6' 3" 245 )

Lufkin SR DE Tavaris Owens (6'2 235) (2nd team all-district)

Lufkin SR 3* DE Wilburn Smallwood (6'3 250) (3 offers and committed to Nevada)

Lufkin JR NT  Tre’vaun Jenkins ( 6' 2" 285)  Played JV last year.

LB

Lufkin SR LB Khaden Maxie (6' 1" 215)

Lufkin SR LB Jackson Warden (6' 1" 185)   (Would have started last year but broke his leg against Longview in the 1st game of 2019)

K

Lufkin SR K/P Caleb Encarnacion (5' 10" 165 )  2019 Specialist of the Year in District 8-5A DI

PLEASE add anyone I may have left out.

Wonder if Lufkin football has any plans for some new NIKE or UNDER ARMOUR uniforms?

What are your thoughts on the latest Panther home uniforms purchased 2 years ago?, this year would be the 3rd year for them.  Maybe the road uniforms are a newer model, don't know?   Personally, I like our uniforms,  they look good and match the road uniforms in design.   Really Really like the road unis. They look clean and fast.

Lufkin has never been a program like a Longview, Marshall or Tyler High (JT),  to get new uniforms or helmets on a regular basis.  They tend to get several years of use out of their equipment before buy anything new for the varsity, that started with Outlaw here.  He was frugal with buying new uniforms, using them 3 or 4 years before passing them down to the JV and eventually the Freshman got them.  The freshman last year wore the old purple jersey with gold numbers the Varsity wore in 2006.  Of course the Varsity still wear those old gold jerseys, purple shoulders with white numbers from 2005 when Dez played here.

5ba6e68541972.image.jpg

Lufkin flexing on football field; volleyball just misses playoffs - VYPE

Not sure you have seen them lately, but Jacksonville and Henderson has done some nice work on their stadiums the past couple of years.  The Tomato Bowl had a complete reconstruction, and Lion Stadium over in Henderson had a huge face lift. This doesn't include Marshall big upgrade , which we have already talked about and posted pictures here before. In fact they are doing all of their massive upgrades, without bond money.  Interesting.

Nac ISD have plans for NEW press box at Nacogdoches Dragon Stadium.  Everybody seems to be getting those new or upgraded press boxes these days. Nacogdoches even installed new LED sports lighting at their stadium.    New turf a couple years ago.    Henderson Lion Stadium had not had an upgrade in 33 years.  Nacogdoches and Jacksonville were two that still had grass playing fields until last year and Tomato Bowl not upgraded since the 1940s.   Dragon Stadium is not getting a full face lift treatment, but the adding of new turf, LED lighting, new Video scoreboard and new press box with ADA access will help improve their stadium quite a bit. 

Jacksonville

etx_TomatoBowlStadium_rendering_jacksonvilleTX.jpg

Henderson

533.jpg

Nice Press box addition with stairs and elevator and concessions area underneath.  They are doing what some had proposed years ago for ABE, to move back and build free standing press box, don't add the seating in front (just a covered area) and your not bound by ADA guidelines.  Who knows what may be in the works for the future around here??

Nacogdoches High School Class of 2018... - Nacogdoches ISD Stakeholders