2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

This isn't political,  not Democrat or Republican.  You said nothing about the fact that there are millions who have not been affected by this virus in the last six months, the stats says you have a .0195% to catch the virus.  That is low.   I don't read FB or any of the news outlets much.   I 've had 6 people in my family , the oldest 76 , have had the virus and they have all recovered well and were all mild cases.  The oldest went to the hospital to get antibody shots and was home in 2 days.     My point is not a political one, I don't care about politics one way or another.   I have been a Independent Moderate all my life. Everyone has a different perspective on things  and I totally understand that fact.  I can discuss both sides of such things without getting twisted about it.  I've always been a numbers guy, that may be my downfall here, but it sure served me well most of my life.  

Why will people not look at the real stats by the CDC?     Not going to repeat what I've already written.  It wasn't something I made up in my head. The information came from WHO and the CDC.  Just trying to use some common sense about everything.  Hey, It could still be over by December, don't know, I'm just guessing anyway, because viruses run their course, they always have, as will this one, no matter if we were all walking around in moon suits.

Hope they play football because you have the same chance of catching COVID, whether you play or don't play.   Those are the facts, because you are going to be around folks somewhere ??, whether on the field or at home or school or out running around town.  If the fear by schools is that one person will get sick, why are they trying to play at all, because even with those kids tackling each other, or our fans at 50% capacity sitting in a stadium, your percentages don't change at all,  your chance to get COVID is still only a .0195%.   That is a CDC fact, not mine.

I'm all about allowing this virus to run its course, using mask or social distancing or whatever. Whether it's until December or next June , if only to try and get back to some semblance of a normal life in this community. 

Pack007, I consider you my friend and any disagreement towards any of this does not change anything in that respect. I've never been any other way my whole life.

I haven’t said anything about those millions, because there are a lot of people staying home, still working from home, practicing social distancing, wearing masks and just not going out as much. Movie theaters, sporting events and many churches are still closed to the public. Then you have the guidelines by the cdc that many jobs, restaurants and other facilities have to abide by. If several of those things weren’t happening, I’m sure the numbers would increase like crazy again. Heck, it still is in certain areas that didn’t take the virus seriously. 

But It’s nothing personal P.A. I also consider you one. And i honestly don’t like talking about this subject because it can get heated. I really don’t focus on the CDC numbers, because I’m not sure how accurate the numbers are.....and I’m just being honest. A few of their reps have stated publicly on the news not too long ago they received pressure from the White House about the data released. So, again i don’t know what’s true. That goes for both sides. But i do know what I've seen. I’ve seen many people of all ages recover from it and I’ve had a friend/neighbor die from it. I’ve also seen it spread at my job. I’ve spoken with my sister like I said in a previous that have to deal with it basically every day as a doctor in Houston. I’m just saying it’s more serious than some are giving it credit for on here. You gotta be careful about reporting misinformation (not saying you’ve done it) or coming in here comparing it to the flu (like others have done) when there is no proven vaccine available for it. 

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 10 TXHSFB Quarterback Prospects in the Class of 2021

1. Jalen Milroe (6'2, 195) - Katy Tompkins Falcons

Committed to Alabama. The Crimson Tide are getting one of the most physically impressive quarterback specimens in the nation in Milroe. He looks like an NFL prospect RIGHT NOW. 

2. Garrett Nussmeier (6'2, 180) - Flower Mound Marcus Marauders     

Committed to LSU. The Elite 11 and Under Armour All-American is a cerebral quarterback who will pick defenses apart. Nussmeier has a quick trigger and the arm to make all the throws. 

3. Preston Stone (6'2, 215) - Dallas Parish Episcopal Panthers     

Committed to SMU. Stone racked up over 45 offers before pulling the trigger on his commitment to stay at home and play for Sonny Dykes and the Mustangs. He will play in the All-American Bowl. 

4. Kaidon Salter (6'1, 190) - Cedar Hill Longhorns     

Committed to Tennessee. Salter took home QB MVP honors at the Next Level Athlete Texas Top 100 Showcase in Texas and then went on to secure Elite 11 status. He is calm and cool under pressure. 

5. Dematrius Davis (6'0, 200) - Galena Park North Shore Mustangs     

Committed to Auburn. The two-time state champ is heading to the SEC to play for two of the greatest offensive minds in college football in Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris. North Shore is once again the heavy favorite to win the 6A Division I state title in 2020-21. 

6. Eli Stowers (6'4, 200) - Denton Guyer Wildcats     

Committed to Texas A&M. Stowers suffered a crushing ACL injury in the first quarter of the 6A Division II state title game in 2019 but is now ready to go for new Guyer head coach Rodney Webb.  The Aggies are getting a great runner with a howitzer for an arm.

7. Kyron Drones (6'3, 200) - Alvin Shadow Creek Sharks     

Committed to Baylor. Drones may have the highest-upside of any quarterback on this list. The Elite 11 standout has a huge arm and the frame to develop into a potential NFL draft pick. 

8. Behren Morton (6'2, 175) - Eastland Mavericks     

Committed to Texas Tech. Morton takes defenses apart with surgical precision. He will fit in perfectly in Lubbock running one of the Bog 12's most prolific offenses. The son of Eastland head coach James Morton. 

9. Sawyer Robertson (6'4, 205) - Lubbock Coronado Mustangs

Committed to Mississippi State. New MSU coach Mike Leach is getting a two-sport star in Robertson who will also play baseball in college. Will one of these sports win out over the other? 

10. Lucas Coley (6'1, 205) - Cornerstone Christian Schools Warriors     

Committed to Arkansas. Coley is a run game weapon with a high upside as a college passer. He should fit in perfectly with the Razorbacks offense led by Kendal Briles. 

One thing that sticks out about all of these QB is their size.    Lufkin's Jordan Moore is about 6-3, 205 lbs, so he fits right in that category.   He is  ranked a 3 -Star QB prospect with 247 Sports.  Ranked # 59 as a dual threat QB and #262 overall in Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Moore-46058462/

I've read where Moore was selected participate in a couple elite type camps before all the COVID shutdowns and haven't heard whether those went through or not..  Max Preps has him Rated #631 in the Nation and #104 in Texas. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jordan-moore/z1JjokjXEeiAxvL2rdhhtw/default.htm

My personal opinion here, not knowing more than what I've seen the past two years, Jordan has the ability to be a very good QB for some college out there, if he has the right people around him to hone his talents and give him some confidence in those abilities. My observance is Moore has all the skills and when everything is going well, he is good. He can make things happen around him.  When things are not going so well,  he presses, you can see his confidence wane a bit.  It doesn't happen often. Hopefully as a senior, with a whole year of leading the team as a junior , that experience will help him in those tough situations as a senior in 2020.

Dominating performance has pack on verge of district title ...

19 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Top 10 TXHSFB Quarterback Prospects in the Class of 2021

1. Jalen Milroe (6'2, 195) - Katy Tompkins Falcons

Committed to Alabama. The Crimson Tide are getting one of the most physically impressive quarterback specimens in the nation in Milroe. He looks like an NFL prospect RIGHT NOW. 

2. Garrett Nussmeier (6'2, 180) - Flower Mound Marcus Marauders     

Committed to LSU. The Elite 11 and Under Armour All-American is a cerebral quarterback who will pick defenses apart. Nussmeier has a quick trigger and the arm to make all the throws. 

3. Preston Stone (6'2, 215) - Dallas Parish Episcopal Panthers     

Committed to SMU. Stone racked up over 45 offers before pulling the trigger on his commitment to stay at home and play for Sonny Dykes and the Mustangs. He will play in the All-American Bowl. 

4. Kaidon Salter (6'1, 190) - Cedar Hill Longhorns     

Committed to Tennessee. Salter took home QB MVP honors at the Next Level Athlete Texas Top 100 Showcase in Texas and then went on to secure Elite 11 status. He is calm and cool under pressure. 

5. Dematrius Davis (6'0, 200) - Galena Park North Shore Mustangs     

Committed to Auburn. The two-time state champ is heading to the SEC to play for two of the greatest offensive minds in college football in Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris. North Shore is once again the heavy favorite to win the 6A Division I state title in 2020-21. 

6. Eli Stowers (6'4, 200) - Denton Guyer Wildcats     

Committed to Texas A&M. Stowers suffered a crushing ACL injury in the first quarter of the 6A Division II state title game in 2019 but is now ready to go for new Guyer head coach Rodney Webb.  The Aggies are getting a great runner with a howitzer for an arm.

7. Kyron Drones (6'3, 200) - Alvin Shadow Creek Sharks     

Committed to Baylor. Drones may have the highest-upside of any quarterback on this list. The Elite 11 standout has a huge arm and the frame to develop into a potential NFL draft pick. 

8. Behren Morton (6'2, 175) - Eastland Mavericks     

Committed to Texas Tech. Morton takes defenses apart with surgical precision. He will fit in perfectly in Lubbock running one of the Bog 12's most prolific offenses. The son of Eastland head coach James Morton. 

9. Sawyer Robertson (6'4, 205) - Lubbock Coronado Mustangs

Committed to Mississippi State. New MSU coach Mike Leach is getting a two-sport star in Robertson who will also play baseball in college. Will one of these sports win out over the other? 

10. Lucas Coley (6'1, 205) - Cornerstone Christian Schools Warriors     

Committed to Arkansas. Coley is a run game weapon with a high upside as a college passer. He should fit in perfectly with the Razorbacks offense led by Kendal Briles. 

One thing that sticks out about all of these QB is their size.    Lufkin's Jordan Moore is about 6-3, 205 lbs, so he fits right in that category.   He is  ranked a 3 -Star QB prospect with 247 Sports.  Ranked # 59 as a dual threat QB and #262 overall in Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Moore-46058462/

I've read where Moore had been selected participate in a couple elite type camps before all the COVID shutdowns and haven't heard whether those went through or not.  Max Preps has him Rated #631 in the Nation and #104 in Texas. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jordan-moore/z1JjokjXEeiAxvL2rdhhtw/default.htm

My personal opinion here, not knowing more than what I've seen the past two years, Jordan has the ability to be a very good QB for some college out there, if he has the right people around him to hone his talents and give him some confidence in those abilities. My observance is Moore has all the skills and when everything is going well, he is good. He can make things happen around him.  When things are not going so well,  he presses, you can see his confidence wane a bit.  It doesn't happen often. Hopefully as a senior, with a whole year of leading the team as a junior , that experience will help him in those tough situations as a senior in 2020.

Dominating performance has pack on verge of district title ...

Probably doesn't help if our coaches dont push him out there. He will end up somewhere and they will get a solid QB

20 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Probably doesn't help if our coaches dont push him out there. He will end up somewhere and they will get a solid QB

WHY would our people not push to help our kids have the best opportunity, to be seen by those big college scouts?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding  your thought here, because that doesn't sound  like a positive about our coaching staff.  Terrible, if true.

Just saw this, the 2020 shuffle is beginning to get a few unlikely match ups for some teams.

Duncanville has announced today, they will host IMG Academy at Globe Life Park on Oct. 9, 2020.

IMG Academy is one of the premiere programs in the country with a laundry list of collegiate and NFL stars having played there. That includes Cesar Ruiz, who was selected in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints. Also selected were former Ascenders Grant Delpit, the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award winner, and former Penn State star K.J. Hamler.

Currently IMG Academy has notable recruits like five-star Alabama commit Jacorey Brookes, former Katy Tompkins defensive line standout Tunmise Adeleye, the No. 30 player overall in 2021, four-star linebacker Xavian Sorey, four-star Georgia running back commitment Lovasea Carroll, four-star Michigan center commit Greg Crippen, four-star Florida safety commit Kamar Wilcoxson and four-star cornerback Markevious Brown.

Duncanville features four-star offensive tackle Savion Byrd, four-star Alabama linebacker commit Kendrick Blackshire, four-star defensive end Omari Abor, four-star offensive tackle Jaylen Early, four-star offensive lineman Cameron Williams, Baylor wide receiver commit Roderick Daniels.

That should be some game to watch.

Nevada redshirt freshman defensive lineman Javasia Brunson has entered the transfer portal, 247Sports confirmed Tuesday. Brunson played in three games as a true freshman in the 2019 football season and was able to retain the year of eligibility under the NCAA four-game redshirting rule.  He and teammate Breylon Garcia both signed with Nevada to give the Wolf Pack a talented pair of East Texas 2019 defensive prospects.

Since then, Nevada has added a 2021 commitment in three-star defensive end Wilburn Smallwood.

Mountain West Conference announced the postponement of all fall sports as a result of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Five days prior, the Mountain West announced a revised schedule for the football season that would have started an eight-game conference schedule on the final weekend of September, but ultimately, that plan was not realized.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

WHY would our people not push to help our kids have the best opportunity, to be seen by those big college scouts?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding  your thought here, because that doesn't sound  like a positive about our coaching staff.  Terrible shame if true.

It has been a real problem in the past. I've known players to get interest letters and not be given them. Coaches ask about certain players and instead of talking the kid up pretty much throwing him to the side as being uncoachable. Now that was some time ago when I was there. I just have a hard time believing Jordan Moore has too few offers considering his talent. If Lufkin is not signed up for the Next level athlete portal then someone needs to ask some questions.  Maybe a good one for you at the next sidelines meeting. 

16 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

It has been a real problem in the past. I've known players to get interest letters and not be given them. Coaches ask about certain players and instead of talking the kid up pretty much throwing him to the side as being uncoachable. Now that was some time ago when I was there. I just have a hard time believing Jordan Moore has too few offers considering his talent. If Lufkin is not signed up for the Next level athlete portal then someone needs to ask some questions.  Maybe a good one for you at the next sidelines meeting. 

Hmmm, so that occurred under Outlaw??  Interesting??, that is a while back, think I know who your speaking about.   I'm sure things are good today,  because Sadale Lamb and Cam Davis are the  LHS Recruiting Coordinators or they were last season (2019).  Two guys you know would be working in the best interest of the Lufkin kids.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:06 PM, Pack007 said:

Yes, Everything should be considered.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastate/football/big-12-gets-advice-from-mayo-clinic-cadiologist

This talks about Dr. Ackerman, who is a genetic Cardiologist and is a Big 12 medical advisor. Evidently he's pretty highly respected and looked upon when it comes to these situations. He was a big factor with the Big 12 deciding to try and have a football season as planned. He went on to say that Myocarditis that became the focal point in the college football conference's decisions to cancel or postpone their seasons. But basically said there isn't enough evidence to say that it's relevant to 18-24 year olds. Again, this is all according to him. I know everyone has their own opinions and thoughts on the matter. But, I'm with PackAttack on this. The stats are very low on even getting the virus, much less it being serious. It's obvious this thing is gonna be around awhile so why not try to go ahead and have a season? I'm not saying be careless and not do any of the things that the CDC recommends. But life goes on and we must do the same!

Lufkin ISD has the main priority of getting ready and starting school on Monday, August 24th.  That is the highest priority under the current conditions we have here in Lufkin Texas.  The administration, administrators and teachers , in fact everyone in the Lufkin ISD has been working hard to make this happen in the best way possible.   

Football and football tickets are secondary at this point and it totally should be.  However with that said, football and football tickets are still a hot topic with many Lufkin football fans.  Some other schools in East Texas have made a decision, many because they are 4A  or lower classification schools and they are about to start their football season in a couple weeks.  There is one district similar in size to Lufkin 5A DI who has made their decision too .  Also, there people around Lufkin that seem to already know, before the announcement is made by Lufkin ISD.  You know a small town, hard to keep a secret. 

Anyway, that particular district has decided to not have season tickets this year.  All students involved with Friday night activities such as football team members, band members, cheerleaders , drill team , trainers, probably school officials, will have the first chance to buy a limited number of tickets for their family members.    Then any tickets left over, that still allows the 50% stadium capacity rule will be sold in limited allowances to the general public .     Your going to need to wear a masks, your temp checked, maintain 6 ft social distancing spacing from each other and at least 10 ft from the band.  

We will wait to hear an official announcement, but there's a good chance that survey email they sent out back in June, "to their #1 fans , our season ticket holders" is just another email to add to your trash bin.  All the season ticket holders would be promised in this process,  is the ability to buy their same season tickets back next year in 2021. Which is part of what they were told initially. They were also told they may not have the same number of seats or sit in the same location, indicating they would at least have a part of their season ticket situation.  Some folks, have been a season ticket holder for 25--40  years.  They now could be just a general public customer for a year.  We await the announcement from Lufkin ISD.  Interesting times everyone is going through these days.

Well bless their hearts lol... Heaven forbid they have to sit in a seat that isn’t their assigned seat at a high school football stadium. Reserved seating was the most ridiculous thing to happen at a high school venue. Especially Lufkin. We look segregated at our home games.

17 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Well bless their hearts lol... Heaven forbid they have to sit in a seat that isn’t their assigned seat at a high school football stadium. Reserved seating was the most ridiculous thing to happen at a high school venue. Especially Lufkin. We look segregated at our home games.

Lufkin should have never eliminated the general admission and student section on the home side.  It was about the money then.  I've had season tickets for 32 years in section D, there is hardly anyone sitting in Sections A & B during the season, they should change them back to general admission and student section seating.

4 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin should have  never eliminated the general admission and student section on the home side.  It was about the money then.  I've had season tickets for 32 years in section D, there is hardly anyone sitting in Sections A & B during the season, they should change them back to general admission and student section seating.

I agree 110%. It was so much better then. That’s what they call home field advantage lol... Nowadays it’s just... Pitiful. I had a fan of another team ask me at a home game (because I sit on the visitor side) if the blacks and whites in lufkin had issues with one another because we looks segregated at the games 😂 

19 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

For me personally,  I have always liked the Panther road games better, because all the real fans sit together and support the team.  To me, the home games are a little sterile, at least as far as home side fan enthusiasm.  Man, it can get real quite for long periods over there and has been like that the past few years.

6 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I agree 110%. It was so much better then. That’s what they call home field advantage lol... Nowadays it’s just... Pitiful. I had a fan of another team ask me at a home game (because I sit on the visitor side) if the blacks and whites in lufkin had issues with one another because we looks segregated at the games 😂 

Part of the problem over many many years are that people and families that have had Panther season tickets for years and years, they don't give them up or will pass them on to their kids or family.  A few season tickets probably date back to OLD Panther Stadium (Lufkin Boys & Girls Club).  I have noticed some of that changing on the home side though. People can't live forever and sometimes they don't have family to pass them on to, then they are up for grabs.  I know two families right now, one moved to Alabama with his job over 10 years ago, then they moved to Oklahoma, they still have their season tickets.  The other family retired and moved to Denton, Texas, still have their tickets.  I know neither have made a home game in a few years.  That's 6 tickets.  Just remembered, one other family I know, moved to Arkansas, that's another 3 or 4  tickets.

Think I remember the school announcing a while back that last year (2019), there were 759 people in Lufkin who had purchased 3196 season tickets.   That number seems way down from our season ticket numbers 8- 10 years ago.  At Abe Martin , the school sells 10,467 seats, the home side has as least 6000 seats available. 

Do you think maybe 25% of the Lufkin season tickets would not be used by fans for their own health concerns?  That would leave about 2400 regular ticket holders to be scattered around the stadium home side. Still room for student parents, general admission fans and visitors in the stadium.  Some of those season tickets not being used this year, will be offered for participating students parents to purchase.   At 50% capacity, that would make 5233 total seats available at ABE.

I hope we hear what the school has decided, so people can plan for or whatever they need to do moving forward in this process.

How many coaches are currently sick?   I’m hearing more than 1 but couldn’t say if any are associated with the football program.  Many positives in the school district though and school has not even started.  If those numbers continue, I could easily see football being the first thing canceled.  

16 minutes ago, mr. b said:

How many coaches are currently sick?   I’m hearing more than 1 but couldn’t say if any are associated with the football program.  Many positives in the school district though and school has not even started.  If those numbers continue, I could easily see football being the first thing canceled.  

I'm just going to say, with all that has been going on,  with COVID preparedness, getting school started again and sports.  The Panthers in general.  We are going to take the burden off the LPS site for certain subjects and will wait for official announcements to be made on these things through proper channels.  We know and hear things many times before they are made public, but we would like the school district to handle any announcement on things happening in the district.

As to your question, we have not heard anything .

18 hours ago, LPPACK09 said:

https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastate/football/big-12-gets-advice-from-mayo-clinic-cadiologist

This talks about Dr. Ackerman, who is a genetic Cardiologist and is a Big 12 medical advisor. Evidently he's pretty highly respected and looked upon when it comes to these situations. He was a big factor with the Big 12 deciding to try and have a football season as planned. He went on to say that Myocarditis that became the focal point in the college football conference's decisions to cancel or postpone their seasons. But basically said there isn't enough evidence to say that it's relevant to 18-24 year olds. Again, this is all according to him. I know everyone has their own opinions and thoughts on the matter. But, I'm with PackAttack on this. The stats are very low on even getting the virus, much less it being serious. It's obvious this thing is gonna be around awhile so why not try to go ahead and have a season? I'm not saying be careless and not do any of the things that the CDC recommends. But life goes on and we must do the same!

Supposedly the median age of the patients in that study is 85 lol. At work so haven’t reviewed it yet. But if so, not sure why it’s being used for student athletes in that particular age range. 

Regardless...i want to have a full season too and to also see football return. I just want them to be smart with it and to not rush things. Some of yall are ok with the risks. Some of y’all aren't taking this virus seriously and trying to compare it to other viruses that already have vaccines. There is a reason experts are panicking and things are being shutdown. It’s new. And I’ll say it again, we don’t know if the stats are low because it can’t be trusted since the whitehouse has basically taken over those numbers. 

Football tickets - Some of the scoop floating around on twitter from some participating students parents, will be each participating student will be allowed 4 tickets each for their family.   That is football players, band, drill team, cheer leaders and cheer squad and trainers.   Nothing was mentioned about coaches families or school officials and football tickets.  As we previously posted, under the 50% capacity rule, Abe Martin has 5233 seats available to fill.

Let's take a quick overestimate,  let just say 80 football players, 170 for the band, 30 drill team, 30 cheer team,  20 cheerleaders and 10 trainers.  That equals 340 X 4 = 1360 tickets.  That's a generous estimate.  Not knowing an answer to any of the other questions or any decision on season tickets or just GA,  either way that still leaves 3873 seats available for somebody,  that's after the students families get their tickets.    To me, 3873 seems like an adequate amount left over for anyone who would want to attend a game.   Your thoughts????

It depends on how much...(if any) goes to visitors and that’s sold at school for the students. Also visiting bands and their parents. I forgot if you said they would be allowed to come this season or not. If we do have a season, it will definitely be a different and to me strange atmosphere for a high school football game