2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I had covid last month. Outside of not being able to smell or taste for 3 days nothing at all completely normal. I also watched someone that was diabetic have same symptoms and just like me did just fine with it. Everything is so political with this I'm not sure what to think.

So glad you have recovered.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christian Diaz, Journie Thomas, A J Montgomery and a couple others that I do not know their name.  Working out catching a few during some training exercises.   We are told that Journie Thomas,  an underclassman, has a huge upside to being another JaLynn Polk or JaBryce Taylor type outside WR for Lufkin over the next couple of years.  6-1 or 6-2 now ,  mentioned he had 4.4 - 40 time in track.

With the Big Ten and PAC 12 cancelling their fall football schedule, there will now be a new Top 10 or 15 in NCAA Football.  The Big Ten and Pac 12 both said they would consider a spring season, no guarantees there from those two.  When the Falls football starts, they are going to either look real bad or real good depending on how the COVID chips fall.  Leave Nebraska alone, they want to play in the fall,  despite their critics from the Big Ten.    Hope they can find a way to pull off a schedule.

Here a new Top 20  Pre Season picks for NCAA Football -  minus the Big Ten and Pac 12 .  

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Georgia 

4. Oklahoma

5. LSU

6. Florida

7. Notre Dame

8. Texas

9. Texas A&M

10. Auburn

11. Oklahoma State

12. North Carolina

13. UCF

14. Cincinnati

15. Miami

16. Baylor

17. TCU

18.Virginia Tech

19. Tennessee

20. Iowa State

Still, an impressive list of teams and talent. If I were a College Football fan who lived in the Northern or the Western part of the U.S., it probably sucks to be a fan at this moment.

When it comes to getting the 2020 high school football season off the ground amid the coronavirus pandemic, only one thing is certain – nothing is certain. That's the prism start dates across the country should be viewed through.

As of August 12, 35 states still plan to play this fall with Utah the first to get underway Aug. 13 and running through an early October start in New Jersey.

14 states and the District of Columbia have already announced intentions to push their seasons back to sometime in 2021 while 2 other states have yet to make it official one way or the other.

See where things stand – tentatively – in all 50 states and D.C. below.

FALL 2020
State – Start Date / Original Start Date
Utah – Aug. 13 / Aug. 13

Alaska – Aug. 20 / Aug. 20
Indiana – Aug. 20 / Aug. 20
North Dakota – Aug. 20 / Aug. 20

South Dakota – Aug. 20 / Aug. 20
Tennessee – Aug. 20 / Aug. 20
Alabama – Aug. 21 / Aug. 21

Arkansas – Aug. 23 / Aug. 23

Idaho – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27
Iowa – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27

Michigan – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27
Montana – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27
Nebraska – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27
Texas – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27 * (1A -4A)  Sept 24/Sept 26 * (5A-6A)
Wyoming – Aug. 27 / Aug. 27
Missouri – Aug. 28 / Aug. 28

Ohio – Aug. 28 / Aug. 28
Oklahoma – Aug. 28 / Aug. 28
West Virginia – Sept. 3 / Aug. 24
Georgia – Sept. 4 / Aug. 20
Kansas – Sept. 4 / Sept. 4
Maine – Sept. 4 / Sept. 4
Mississippi – Sept. 4 / Aug. 28

New Hampshire – Sept. 4 / Sept. 4

Kentucky – Sept. 11 / Aug. 20
Pennsylvania – Sept. 11 / Aug. 28
Rhode Island – Sept. 11 / Sept. 11
Massachusetts – Sept. 14 / August 17
New York – Sept. 21 / Aug. 24
Wisconsin – Sept. 23 / Aug. 20
Connecticut – Sept. 24 / Sept. 10
South Carolina – Sept. 25 / Aug. 20
Arizona – Sept. 30 / Aug. 19
New Jersey – Oct. 2 / Aug. 28
Louisiana – Oct. 8 / Sept. 4

* Classes 6A and 5A will start five weeks later with games beginning Sept. 24.
** Some regions to be determined.

SPRING 2021
State – Start Date / Original Start Date
California – Jan. 8 / Aug. 21
District of Columbia – Feb. 22 / Aug. 28
Colorado – Feb. 22 / Aug. 27
North Carolina – Feb. 26 / Aug. 20

Virginia – March 1 / Aug. 28
New Mexico – March 4 / Aug. 17
Nevada – March 5 / Aug. 14

Washington – March 8 / Sept. 4
Oregon – March 8 / Sept. 4
Illinois – TBD / Aug. 28
Minnesota – TBD / Aug. 28
Maryland – TBD / Sept. 4
Hawaii – TBD / Sept. 4
Delaware – TBD / Sept. 11
Vermont – TBD/ Aug. 28

TO BE DETERMINED

State – Original Start Date
Florida –  Aug. 20

With 12 States and the District of Columbia not playing fall football, there has been a huge uptick of transfers to States who are playing fall football.   I mentioned this would happen for a couple reasons. One, early graduation of recruited scholarship offered players who want to be at their respective colleges for spring football.  Second, players needing to still get noticed by scouts in order to receive a scholarship to play at a college next season.  

Many reports out there of this happening.  Just two that I have read talks about players from Colorado transferring to Arizona HS to play, whole families moving.  Another story about California players and their families transferring to Iowa .    These players are not waiting to play HS football in the spring.

https://qctimes.com/sports/high-school/football/trickle-of-high-school-transfers-may-become-a-tidal-wave/article_35b7ab82-82fd-5e57-a954-fa29f08fe855.html

https://www.kcci.com/article/out-of-state-high-school-players-relocate-to-iowa-for-football/33515882#

This is a total crock of mess, play your non conference in the fall, but we are not playing conference games until the spring because of COVID safety????.  What a total freaking mush of insanity.

https://www.ktre.com/2020/08/13/sfas-conference-only-play-non-conference-football-schedule-fall/

Southland Conference to play non conference fall football but not conference football until spring.   I give up.  I'm so frustrated with all this stupid mess, where COVID and so many other things have all been mixed together to control in some cases our most simple freedoms. Be careful with this, because you wont realize what you've lost, 'till it's gone.

15 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

This is a total crock of mess, play your non conference in the fall, but we are not playing conference games until the spring because of COVID safety????.  What a total freaking mush of insanity.

https://www.ktre.com/2020/08/13/sfas-conference-only-play-non-conference-football-schedule-fall/

Southland Conference to play non conference fall football but not conference football until spring.   I give up. I'm so frustrated with all this stupid mess, where COVID and so many other things have all been mixed together to control in some cases our most simple freedoms. Be careful with this, because you wont realize what you've lost, 'till it's gone.

Lmaooo. That might just be the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. 

Just like some schools have stated that if any kid shows up with any kind of symptom like runny nose for example, they will send that kid home for 14 days along with any relative that attends that school with them. I mean seriously? Why even try to do In person learning then lol My kids have runny noses pretty often at times because they are kids 

It's not really about COVID or student safety,  it's about the $2M SFA or other Soutland Conference schools would lose by not playing those non-conference games. 😎

20 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I had covid last month. Outside of not being able to smell or taste for 3 days nothing at all completely normal. I also watched someone that was diabetic have same symptoms and just like me did just fine with it. Everything is so political with this I'm not sure what to think.

Glad you and the other individual recovered Book. Don’t understand the last part of your post. Everyone situation is different. Some people don’t go through much and make full recoveries like yourself. Others may have lasting effects to their health, such as heart damage after they’ve recovered. Also, some people of course die from it. Can’t compare every situation to your own. 

22 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Except for the ones who are 6 feet under right now. Unfortunately your experience doesn't represent everyone. Glad you recovered though.

10 minutes ago, timeout! said:

Except for the ones who are 6 feet under right now. Unfortunately your experience doesn't represent everyone. Glad you recovered though.

I’m willing to bet the flu would’ve killed 90% of the ones Covid has killed. My grandpa is 86 years old, lung cancer survivor and has COPD and survived Covid. Everyone is different yes. Same goes year round with the flu. Some people get hospitalized with it. Some people don’t even miss a day of work. 

3 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

I’m willing to bet the flu would’ve killed 90% of the ones Covid has killed. My grandpa is 86 years old, lung cancer survivor and has COPD and survived Covid. Everyone is different yes. Same goes year round with the flu. Some people get hospitalized with it. Some people don’t even miss a day of work. 

What?!! 

17 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Glad you and the other individual recovered Book. Don’t understand the last part of your post. Everyone situation is different. Some people don’t go through much and make full recoveries like yourself. Others may have lasting effects to their health, such as heart damage after they’ve recovered. Also, some people of course die from it. Can’t compare every situation to your own. 

I'm just saying both sides have done so much to muddy the waters I'm not sure what to think on the actual numbers. I know for sure this is real and is extremely lethal to some for whichever reason. I believe in wearing a mask. I do believe we can have football.

2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Yr. Total
Lufkin   (9-2) (9-2) (9-4) (5-6) (6-5) (7-4) (7-4) (11-3) (10-2) (9-2) 10 (82-34-0)

Lufkin Panthers -  Won -Loss records the past 10 years (Decade)  - .70685% winning percentage.   Playoff Record  last 10 years,  6-10 -  that is a  .375% winning percentage.   

A substantial difference between regular season record - 76-24 - .760% winning percentage and  Lufkin's  - .375% winning percentage in the playoffs since 2010.

Like what I read on Coach Carthel from SFA.  The Southland Conference Counsel were all about the money lost and not the football.  Thus,  allowing the conference teams to play their money games in the fall and then hope or say they would play their conference games in the spring.  I think the SFA coach is correct, a lot of these folks around the Country, who say they might play or are pushing to spring football, will never play in the spring.  The reasons are obvious to an athlete and maybe  not an administrator, although they've probably been told by people who do know.    You physically cannot safely play a spring football conference schedule and then train again in the summer to start play again in August without some kind of physical repercussions on a college level.

ARTICLE:  https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/college/article_4dd7ec5b-622d-58c4-ba81-e5d8b6c8c88a.html

It doesn’t take long talking to Stephen F. Austin head football coach Colby Carthel to know he shoots from the hip. He loves to walk the walk and talk the talk. You might even say he enjoys living a little bit on the dangerous side.

But you can’t argue with a national champion coach.

The second-year SFA coach was quoted on Twitter Thursday saying, “(In my opinion), playing a college football season in the spring, followed by another college football season in the fall, makes about as much sense as eating soup with a fork.”

Carthel, who took a chance and started spring training just days after National Signing Day in February and then looked like a genius when the Lumberjacks were about the only NCAA Division I team to come close to finishing, didn’t take long to give his thoughts about the Southland Conference Board of Governors delaying fall sports to possibly the spring on Thursday.

Not interested.

“We’re pushing to play an independent schedule this fall,” Carthel said concerning his decision to either play no football or a partial schedule in the fall. “The Southland might be playing in the spring, but there’s 3-4 of us (in the league) that are going to play a fall schedule, mainly because there’s no guarantee for postseason in the spring.

“Personally, I don’t think you’ll see a single team play in the spring. They’re pushing for it, but I don’t think it’ll happen.”

The Lumberjacks began the week with a 10-game schedule. But that slate will be changing with nine of those games set against Southland opponents, which will be cancelled. The ’Jacks are set to open the season with a non-conference $375,000 payday game at SMU in Dallas on Saturday, Sept. 12.

But don’t count on that being the opener.

Carthel has been on the phone for months “wheeling and dealing” with coaches from around the country in preparation for what was decided by the SLC on Thursday. For several days earlier this summer, he had a matchup with SEC member and FBS-power Auburn set, but it was later scrapped because of scheduling conflicts.

“We’re playing (NCAA) Division I football, but it’s not FBS Power 5 football here at SFA,” he said. “But with every player and coach on that field, there’s part of them that feels they belong on that stage and it makes you want to go out and compete against the best.

“(When you play a Power 5 opponent) you get to play some guys that are going to be drafted in the first round, or play in the SEC, Big 12 or whatever conference. As coaches, it’s a very tight-knit community at that level and we like to compete with those guys and show what we’re made of from a coach’s perspective and strategy. Yes, we do have less scholarships and a little less in the pickings as far as recruiting, but you still see FBS schools fall yearly to FCS schools and that’s why you tee it up. May the team that plays the best that night, win.”

Carthel said he hopes his team is allowed to play some non-conference games against conference foes in the Southland. He is also excited about other possibilities.

“It’s an exciting challenge,” he said. “We talk about just being ready to play. In a case like this, we use our “special forces.” Special forces never know when their opportunity might come and who they might have to face. And an opportunity will come, and if you don’t rise to the level of the opportunity, you fall to the level of your training. That’s why it’s important for us to train and prepare and go to meetings every day and be ready to play, whoever it is and wherever it is.

“It’s exciting! We’re never going to live through a college football season like this again. These are the kinds of memories that are going to last a lifetime. It’s a great opportunity that our players aren’t going to get again.”

Because of sanctions handed down earlier this year, SFA is ineligible to play in the postseason at the end of the 2020 season. And with so many unknowns due to the ever-lingering COVID-19 pandemic, playing now when the team has a chance is an opportunity that Carthel wants to take advantage of.

“I think our team, our leadership council and our players are 100% into playing as many games this fall,” the coach said. “We know that time is on our side. We’d like to compete for a conference championship, but the Southland Conference has voted not to do that.”

“Maybe they’re going to play in the spring, but I don’t like maybes. We live in a world of uncertainties. And if we can get some certainties as far as playing games this fall, we’ll do it and that experience is something you can’t get playing against yourself. And I don’t want to go without playing games for a year and a half.

“We feel like (playing) is the best for our program. Our players want to play. We’re in a great environment. We’re testing and monitoring and doing all the things as far as social distancing. This is a safe environment for our players to play in. Come Saturday night, there’s going to be roughly 200 people on that field. There’s going to be coaches, players, officials and chain gangs. Every one of those guys on that field will have tested negative for coronavirus hours beforehand. I don’t think there will be a safer place in the country on a Saturday night than on a college football field.”

Carthel said he’s working on a Sept. 5 opener to fill the current open date left by Alabama A&M after the SWAC moved its schedule to the spring.

“I think it’s a very good chance,” he said when asked of the chances of scheduling a game on Sept. 5. “We’ve had 7-8 first-game opponents in the past two weeks. As these conferences continue to shake out — ours included — things are changing. There were a number of people that were put on pause, but now you see the Big 12 solidified. I hope you’ll see other conferences do the same. And hopefully if it’s just the PAC-12 and the Big Ten that are the only (Power 5’s) going away, I think we’ll have the opportunity to play Sept. 5.

“We’re going to try to get as many games. as we can, up to 11 max. There are several other teams in a number of the other FCS conferences that want to play, so we’ve been visiting with them about putting together something. I think there will be several opportunities with some FBS schools to possibly play. You never know where it may go.”

After fielding 35 freshmen a year ago and possessing a strong returning class, Carthel wants to guarantee his players a chance to get better in 2020, no matter who they play.

Really like this guy.  Play on SFA.....I'm pulling for you.

PA, let’s be honest....you said this would be over by December. I doubt that’s going happen. You thought just like our governor that reopening stuff in Texas would be wise, it clearly wasn’t. Some things are more important than sports. And i absolutely love football. But your health is more important. 

I don’t get my advice from faux news or cnn. Definitely not some message board either. This isn’t a political virus and i doubt it ends in February. Some of y’all need to stop reading Facebook conspiracy theories and actually see what’s going on. It’s real....i know it has to hit some of you at home before you actually believe it. But trust me it’s real and it’s not going away anytime soon. And I’m leaving it at that 

8 hours ago, Pack007 said:

PA, let’s be honest....you said this would be over by December. I doubt that’s going happen. You thought just like our governor that reopening stuff in Texas would be wise, it clearly wasn’t. Some things are more important than sports. And i absolutely love football. But your health is more important. 

I don’t get my advice from faux news or cnn. Definitely not some message board either. This isn’t a political virus and i doubt it ends in February. Some of y’all need to stop reading Facebook conspiracy theories and actually see what’s going on. It’s real....i know it has to hit some of you at home before you actually believe it. But trust me it’s real and it’s not going away anytime soon. And I’m leaving it at that 

This isn't political,  not Democrat or Republican.  You said nothing about the fact that there are millions who have not been affected by this virus in the last six months, the stats says you have a .0195% to catch the virus.  That is low.   I don't read FB or any of the news outlets much.   I 've had 6 people in my family , the oldest 76 , have had the virus and they have all recovered well and were all mild cases.  The oldest went to the hospital to get antibody shots and was home in 2 days.     My point is not a political one, I don't care about politics one way or another.   I have been a Independent Moderate all my life. Everyone has a different perspective on things  and I totally understand that fact.  I can discuss both sides of such things without getting twisted about it.  I've always been a numbers guy, that may be my downfall here, but it sure served me well most of my life.  

Why will people not look at the real stats by the CDC?     Not going to repeat what I've already written.  It wasn't something I made up in my head. The information came from WHO and the CDC.  Just trying to use some common sense about everything.  Hey, It could still be over by December, don't know, I'm just guessing anyway, because viruses run their course, they always have, as will this one, no matter if we were all walking around in moon suits.

Hope they play football because you have the same chance of catching COVID, whether you play or don't play.   Those are the facts, because you are going to be around folks somewhere ??, whether on the field or at home or school or out running around town.  If the fear by schools is that one person will get sick, why are they trying to play at all, because even with those kids tackling each other, or our fans at 50% capacity sitting in a stadium, your percentages don't change at all,  your chance to get COVID is still only a .0195%.   That is a CDC fact, not mine.

I'm all about allowing this virus to run its course, using mask or social distancing or whatever. Whether it's until December or next June , if only to try and get back to some semblance of a normal life in this community. 

Pack007, I consider you my friend and any disagreement towards any of this does not change anything in that respect. I've never been any other way my whole life.

Most of the people that emphasize on nothing but the negative are the ones that are reading the news material too much. There are some positives. But the media will never emphasize on that part of it. Why? Idk. Might be political, might not be. I mean, they will put all their attention on the 1 kid that dies due to Covid, and never point out the thousands and thousands of others that were asymptomatic or had mild illness with it. They want to keep this country on the downward slope it’s in. Either way, I respect the opinions of the ones that are worried about it more than myself and I certainly am sorry if anyone has lost a family member or friend to it. 

2020 Class 8-5A Division 1 - Week 1 Picks

Teams a with (number) next to the team represents they are the favorite by that margin. PK - team is favored by less than 1 point, NP - game not picked because opponent is not rated.

Dist. 8
(6) Lufkin at Tyler Lee   projection: Lufkin 31-25  
  New Caney vs Marshall (10) projection: Marshall 33-23  
(1) Conroe Caney Creek vs Pasadena   projection: Conroe Caney Creek 28-27  
  Magnolia vs Katy Tompkins (25) projection: Katy Tompkins 40-15  
  Magnolia West at Brenham (16) projection: Brenham 36-20  
  Waller at Bryan (13) projection: Bryan 34-21  
  Cleveland at Fulshear (12) projection: Fulshear 34-22  
(3) New Caney Porter at Montgomery   projection: New Caney Porter 30-27  
(10) College Station vs Hutto   projection: College Station 33-23

2020 Class 5A Division 1 Region II Regional Rankings

(Includes Overall Records and Power Ratings)

CL/DIST
Class 5A Division 1 Region II
Team (2020 Record)
    Weekly
Rating
5A - 5 Denton Ryan   (0-0)   186.92
5A - 5 Frisco Lone Star  (0-0)   185.42
5A - 7 Longview   (0-0)   185.04
5A - 7 Highland Park   (0-0)   185.02
5A - 6 Lancaster   (0-0)   184.18
5A - 8 Lufkin   (0-0)   174.98
5A - 5 Frisco Independence  (0-0)   169.05