2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, pack98 said:

PA,

Lee is now called Legacy. Tyler Legacy red raiders. Looks like JT will be Tyler High. 

Go Pack 

Thanks.  Sounds like they borrowed a page from the Frisco School District.

Everyone  needs to watch Class 1A through 4A as they have started their practices,  especially when they begin playing real games.  Some of these school districts are close to some of the metro areas, who because of their decisions to start school in early September because of COVID fears,  are the very reason 5A and 6A has been scheduled to start a month later than 1A -4A.   Those classifications will be 4 weeks into their season before 5A and 6A are scheduled to play their first football game.  

Did you stop to think?, that what happens in those 4 weeks will determine whether 5A and 6A  will play.     Yes, 1A through 4A have been offered up as test subjects, to see if the big boys can play later.     If things don't go well, for the lower classman,  start watching the dominoes fall.  We'll all be singing "Springtime in the Rockies" then.

The U.I.L. ruled this morning that any player diagnosed with COVID during the season,  must be reported by the district to the U.I.L. and that their return to the team would be by a doctors release only.

Twenty days before the first high school football games kick off in Texas, the University Scholastic League’s Medical Advisory Committee set more guidelines for the return to play this fall season. 

The committee voted Friday to require any student athlete testing positive for COVID-19 to be cleared by a physician before they can return to play. 

The committee also is asking for programs to follow CDC guidelines. For example, if a student athlete has a parent or someone that lives in their house test positive then the student must quarantine for 10 days.  

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Everyone  needs to watch Class 1A through 4A as they have started their practices,  especially when they begin playing real games.  Some of these school districts are close to some of the metro areas, who because of their decisions to start school in early September all because of COVID fears,  are the very reason 5A and 6A has been scheduled to start a month later than 1A -4A.   Those classifications will be 4 weeks into their season before 5A and 6A are scheduled to play their first football game.  

Did you stop to think?, that what happens in those 4 weeks will determine whether 5A and 6A  will play.     Yes, 1A through 4A have been offered up as test subjects, to see if the big boys can play later.     If things don't go well, for the lower classman,  start watching the dominoes fall.  We'll all be singing "Springtime in the Rockies" then.

PA,

Yep this will tell us a lot. Some of the smaller schools I think will be ok. I hope the coaches are telling the kids to do their best at social distancing and no parties easier said than done but the kids will have to sacrifice some things in order to keep the season going other wise we’ll see y’all next year.   I also think it’s food they require a doctor to clear the players before returning dame thing with concussions take it out of someone in the program and keep the kids best interest in mind. 

Go Pack  

Christian Stafford accepts a scholarship from the Prairie View Interscholastic League Coaches Association

https://lufkindailynews.com/sports/high_school/article_b5c46763-a32c-5c26-8a44-3ca7e4223cca.html

A stellar career as a student-athlete gave Lufkin’s Christian Stafford the opportunity to play football for Arkansas Tech starting this coming season. He recently found out he’d get a little extra assistance along the way as he was awarded with a $1,000 scholarship from the Prairie View Interscholastic League Coaches Association.

Similar to the UIL, which is the governing body of high school sports in the state, the PVIL oversaw Black schools in the state of Texas before desegregation.

The group annually awards four scholarships to deserving applicants across the state, but that number was cut in half this year due to economic issues caused by the pandemic.

That made the honor that much more prestigious for Stafford, a three-year letterman and two-year starter for the Panthers.

“I’ll tell you he’s certainly deserving of it,” PVILCA president Robert Brown said. “These scholarships go to athletes that participated in their sports from when they were a freshman up through senior high. It’s a way for us to help some of these kids out a little for when they get to college.”

Stafford accepted the award in a private ceremony at Lufkin’s First Missionary Baptist Church. The check was set to be given on his birthday during the annual meeting of the PVILCA, which was set to be in San Antonio.

He said the award wasn’t expected but one he could take pride in.

“I’m very grateful and very surprised by it,” Stafford said. “With everything going on, I’d forgotten I’d applied for it. Oscar (Kennedy) helped me out a lot and I appreciate that.”

Kennedy is the PVILCA coordinator for Lufkin. His dad, who was a coach for the state powerhouse Dunbar athletic programs, is a 2020 posthumous inductee into the organization’s Hall of Fame, although this year’s meeting was canceled.

In addition to that honor, Lufkin has its own extended history with the organization with Dunbar’s legacy of greatness in the athletic spectrum. Several former athletes and coaches are among the honorees in their Hall of Fame, the late Willie Ross is also a 2020 inductee into the Hall of Fame.

As a senior, Stafford was a first-team all-district selection in the Panthers’ secondary. He finished the season with 39 tackles, including two for losses.

After officially signing his letter of intent to Arkansas Tech in February, his workout program was altered due to the school closing a little over a month later.

However, he has done his best in keeping in shape before heading to Arkansas Tech this coming week.

“I’ve been running and lifting weights to stay in shape,” Stafford said. “Other than that, I’ve been watching a lot of film, just trying to keep my mind on football.”

He said the scholarship was his best present as it was originally set to be delivered on his birthday and it would be beneficial to offset various costs, including food and transportation.

Brown said the organization funds the annual scholarships based on their personal experiences in starting collegiate life.

“When we got to school, we had a pair of Chuck Taylors and a pair of blue jeans and we were just happy to be there,” Stafford said. “That was the purpose of it. We tell them they’re going to need a computer, they’ll need clothes and they’ll need all the necessities. Based off our own personal experiences, we didn’t have anything when we got there, so we hope this can help them out a little.”

More information on the PVILCA can be found at pvilca.org.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

5f2dafb8406a4.image.jpg

PA,

Major college Football is about to push to the fall it appears. If they do that then how can we safely expect High School Kids to play. I just think it’s not worth the risk especially a few players having issues  and one athlete just had heart surgery due to the virus. It’s a hard sell if I was a parent of a high schooler to let my kid play during this time. I don’t think we need to live  scared but we have to be smart at the same time and HS football has many unknowns at this time. 

9 hours ago, pack98 said:

PA,

Major college Football is about to push to the fall it appears. If they do that then how can we safely expect High School Kids to play. I just think it’s not worth the risk especially a few players having issues  and one athlete just had heart surgery due to the virus. It’s a hard sell if I was a parent of a high schooler to let my kid play during this time. I don’t think we need to live  scared but we have to be smart at the same time and HS football has many unknowns at this time. 

Yep, don’t see this season happening or at least us playing every game (LSU and Lufkin). Unless something drastic happens of course over the next few months, just not expecting football this year at the high school and college level.  The SEC will try of course.....but they can’t hold kids in a bubble like the nba is doing. Just can’t see it right now. Also how will the fan situation even work at the college level? You go from 70-100,000 to what half that? That’s still a lot of people in one area, even with masks. 

Big Ten voted 12-2 to cancel entire fall football season this morning.  Now considering Spring or total cancellation for the year.

NCAA players, like NFL players are starting to opt out of playing in the fall.  

Ben Bolt, a 2A Division I team, will not play a 2020 Texas high school football season.

The Texas high school football season is scheduled to kick off in less than three weeks, but it won’t be with at least one program.

Ben Bolt canceled its high school football season on Monday, athletic director Gary Cunningham confirmed to Quinton Martinez of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times, becoming the first UIL Texas high school football team to abandon its 2020 campaign.

The move comes on the heels of Ben Bolt-Palito Blanco ISD’s school board voting to start the school year virtually for the first nine weeks of the year, accepting the recommendation of Jim Wells County health officials. That means that Ben Bolt High School will be remote at least through October 9, with no extracurricular activities happening during the remote period.

That would mean that the Badgers — a member of District 16-2A Division I — would not be able to play a game until early November. The first week of games for Class 4A and below, as set forth by the UIL, is scheduled for August 27.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/08/10/the-first-texas-high-school-football-team-canceled-its-season?ref=article_preview_title

The move also cancels Ben Bolt’s volleyball season.

The Coastal Bend area has been particularly hard-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, and it’s already impacted high school football. Beeville ISD suspended all student activities indefinitely on Sunday night; Taft did the same last week, as did Skidmore-Tynan. As of Thursday, Jim Wells County — located west of Corpus Christi with a population of just over 40,000, most centralized in the county seat of Alice —had 705 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Ben Bolt’s cancellation leaves District 16-2A Division I with four schools — Santa Maria, La Villa, Premont and Riviera-Kaufer — meaning that all four would make the playoffs.

Just wanted to let everyone know I have all the game information ready for Lufkin's first game of the season with Tyler Legacy, however I'm not going to post until later, when we find out if we actually play a football season or not, the next 30 days will tell us much.  I believe the UIL will now move all 1A -4A to the same start up date as 5A and 6A.  Mark my words on this.

We will continue to keep everyone updated on all current information and Lufkin player workout video's and such.  Any relevant changes that may be concurring, which it looks like a bunch may again be on the horizon.

This is all very unfortunate and frustrating on many levels.  So, we will all wait to see what transpires.  In the mean time we will continue to keep everyone informed about current Lufkin Panther situations.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1348502658680206&ref=watch_permalink

Dave Campbell Texas Football Monday football talk..........LIVE  MAJOR HEADLINES  ............. Fast Forward to the 10 minute mark for the real news.

The 2020 Texas high school football regular season is hopefully a few weeks from kicking off.  So how does 5A Division I stack up, here is your Top 20.

DCTF rankings are in conjunction with our partner Jerry Forrest at PigskinPrep.com

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/08/10/2020-preseason-comprehensive-texas-high-school-football-computer-rankings-ranking-all-1400-txhsfb-teams?ref=home_feature_article

CLASS 5A DIVISION I 

1 Denton Ryan (0-0)
2 Frisco Lone Star (0-0)
3 Longview (0-0)
4 Highland Park (0-0)
5 Lancaster (0-0)
6 Manvel (0-0)
7 Richmond Foster (0-0)
8 Cedar Park (0-0)
9 Red Oak (0-0)
10 Amarillo Tascosa (0-0)
11 Lufkin (0-0)
12 Frisco Independence (0-0)
13 Colleyville Heritage (0-0)
14 Abilene Cooper (0-0)
15 CC Veterans Memorial (0-0)
16 College Station (0-0)
17 CC Flour Bluff (0-0)
18 Fort Bend Hightower (0-0)
19 Weslaco East (0-0)
20 Friendswood (0-0)

It is always so ironic to me, that something that is suppose to be secret and released in a timely manner always gets leaked by an anonymous source.  

Anyway,  There are two leaked reports coming out claiming that by the end of next week our 2020 college the football season will be scrapped.  I know that the Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC will meet on Tuesday.  The Big Ten voted 12-2 to cancel their season today, two or three other smaller conferences have done so as well. A couple more moved to spring but could follow suit with the others if all the big conferences cancel.

New Mexico HS are playing in the spring.  

2A Ben Bolt cancelled their football season today.

Now, Officials with El Paso's largest district are looking to extend the start of in-person education until at least Oct. 19.  That includes, El Paso Austin, Burges, Andress, Chapin, Irvin, Bowie, Jefferson, Coronado, Franklin and El Paso High are all EPISD teams. The entirety of District 2-5A DII, two teams in District 1-6A, and one team (Chapin) in District 1-5A DI.

One of my favorite movie quotes by Tommy Lee Jones, "if this is not a mess, it will do until the mess gets here".

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/big-ten-canceling-football-catastrophic-college-athletes-ohio-rep

NCAA Football Conferences deciding today, what to do?

If Big Ten does not play, Nebrasks wants to opt out to play in part of a schedule elsewhere.  They need to go back to the Big 12 anyway and let West Virginia join the Big Ten.  All about the money.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/big-ten-canceling-football-catastrophic-college-athletes-ohio-rep

NCAA Football Conferences deciding today, what to do?

If Big Ten does not play, Nebrasks wants to opt out to play in part of a schedule elsewhere.  They need to go back to the Big 12 anyway and let West Virginia join the Big Ten.  All about the money.

I don’t understand why people are surprised by this. I figured this would happened around may honestly for not just college but high school too.  There are too many risks involved. The sec will try though of course.....just can’t see it right now 

FYI, this is not to lessen the effects of COVID on some people.  This virus has been devastating to many and has taken far too many lives.  Not trying to make a point either way.  Just tying to give some actual facts and percentages to consider.  For example, you have  the most populous county in Texas is Harris County (Houston), with a population of 4,700,000 people.  The last  6 months they have recorded  almost 87,000 COVID cases and 905 deaths.  That's over 4.6M who have not had COVID.   The chance of catching COVID in the most populous county in Texas the last six months is an  .0185% chance.  Same thing for Angelina County,  1877 cases to date in a population of 88,000, which is a .0213% chance of catching the virus.   That's your chances without taking any precautions at all.  Even less of a chance when wearing a mask and social distancing.   It's a very low percentage of probability, and if you are in good health the percentage goes down even further.  The people with underlying health conditions are 90% of all cases. Those are facts, not made up statistics,  just do the math,  The math doesn't lie.  COVID is a virus, your not going to stop it, it will still be here next spring, next summer and next fall and probably still around somewhere in 2022. A vaccine doesn't cure,  it only HELPS prevent, it's not a silver bullet.  People need to understand this point and I will not take the COVID shot just like I don't take FLU shots. Flu shot doesn't always keep a person from catching the Flu, that's a fact.  Neither will a COVID vaccine.  So, do you keep shutting down things,? Did they shut down with H1N1 , SARS or Ebola.  No, they did not. They took proper precautions in some places, but did not close down schools, sports or shut down businesses. 

There are bigger reasons behind all of this, and it's a shame that everything has come down to us all living like this.  I'm one who has not quarantined much, rely on my own common sense to make my own decisions about my health and will continue to do so.  I do the research, do not believe everything as face value.  People need to think more for themselves.

Sorry to get off the sports track, however it is important to make such statistical references based on the huge changes that have taken place with our sports, schools, jobs and everyday life,  based on such a low percentage of the population overall who actually having caught COVID 19.  No doubt all those people who have not been sick, have been affected by all these restrictions, it has made perfectly healthy people give up some freedoms and changed how they live their lives. 

Not trying to sway anyone's thinking, because there is no acceptable number you can put on losing lives.

Just some interesting  numbers to look at, as they use to say on the old "Dragnet"  TV series, Joe Friday use to say "Just the Facts, Ma' am".   

If the powers that be play football. I will try to attend games, and  If they decide to scrap the season. I will just find something else to do or someplace else to go.    The only things I put my true dedication to these days is God, Family, Country and friends in that order. Everything else just needs to take a number.

I'll delete this in the next couple days.  By then we may know our direction for football the rest of the year or even until next fall.  My hope is that Texas High School football will be played without any further changes.

I, for the most part, agree with you PA. I just don’t know what people expect or what they want to do... A vaccine isn’t a magical cure that eliminates viruses. It’s not going anywhere anytime soon. The same people complaining about wearing a mask are the same folks that are anti Vaxxers anyways lol... Seems to me like there’s more of those than ones that are for both. So not sure what difference a vaccine is going to make. If that’s even what they are waiting on. Could all magically disappear after November anyways. Or could get worse. Might even wind up with a whole new batch of viruses next year 😉

I’d also love to see the seasonal flu kept up with like this just to compare. Not saying corona isn’t worse, id just like to see the numbers. The HONEST numbers 

The Big 12 Conference has opted to move forward with fall football and released a "9+1" 2020 schedule.

Days after the Pac-12 and Big Ten decided to cancel fall football and push it to the spring, the Big 12 has doubled down on playing in the fall. 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/08/12/big-12-moving-ahead-with-fall-football-releases-2020-schedule?ref=article_preview_img

This is good news for Texas High School Football to make the effort to push through for a season.

I had covid last month. Outside of not being able to smell or taste for 3 days nothing at all completely normal. I also watched someone that was diabetic have same symptoms and just like me did just fine with it. Everything is so political with this I'm not sure what to think.