2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

9 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Awesome way to go. If I am not mistaken the coach kine is from East Texas and coached. What better way to build your team fill them with Texans especially tough East Texans. Hawaii is beautiful only downside they play late and it’s a long plane ride. 

Best of luck young man. 

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The writing was on the wall once the numbers spiked. I'm sure more dominoes will fall soon. I'm guessing the season could be moved to just district games? That would give them a few extra weeks to see if things improve. I think thats the best possible scenario. 

Have you given thought about, IF the HS season is moved to the spring, some teams may not have some of their best senior players?  There are many HS seniors who finish up in December,  graduate and enroll early to the college that has given them a scholarship, so to be eligible for their spring practice.  

Lufkin for instance.  WR Ja'Lynn Polk and  S Jerrin Thompson graduated early last year 2019, they enrolled at Texas Tech and Texas respectively in January.  If that were this year and HS football gets moved to the spring, then those two guys probably are already off to college.  Tough decision for some kids to stay or go.

This also applies to multi sport athletes, who must make a decision, what sport is best for them to play.  This probably affects mostly the 4A schools down, but it will cause an issue for some.  Example, your star QB, is also your star pitcher and star forward on the BB team and anchors the 4 X 4 relay team, with all those sports going at the same time.

Here is an article that clears up a couple of things.  Houston has pushed back their start of school to Sept 7th, with online school only.  Face to Face in classroom teaching to begin on Oct 19th.  They are planning for fall sports, awaiting to see how things develop with the COVID in the next several weeks.   So, that is Austin ISD and Houston ISD who will begin school on Sept 7th.  Only Austin ISD has stated  that no on campus sports will occur before Sept 7th.      If this stands then there will be a definite delay to the start of football season and fall sports. At least to the end of September or first week of October.   You could still have somewhat of a full season by having only one scrimmage game , then having only the top three teams making the playoffs and district winners have a 1st week bye.  You still finish up the middle of January.  Winters in Texas are typically not that bad.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/07/09/hisd-will-announce-its-plans-for-the-2020-2021-school-year-on-july-15-heres-what-we-know-so-far/

PA,

Yea getting to feel like it will not start on time or will not play all together. Can we just all sleep and wake up and 2020 be over with?  

There is a little good news and memories for some young guys and the community.    Two fantastic years in a row for them and the Lufkin community.  Good to honor those kids.

https://www.ktre.com/2020/07/15/lufkin-little-league-heroes-impressed-with-new-downtown-mural/

Webxtra: Lufkin Little League heroes impressed with new downtown mural

We still do not know the overall participation numbers in the Lufkin football workouts.  Have been told that it's been hit and miss since June 8th.  Some have been working out on their own and doing team zoom meetings, while others have come in participating in the face to face practice time with the coaches.  Some players have not been on campus at all.    That information is about as credible as we can do for now.  The fact that there could be a looming delay to the start of a football season,  I'm sure it will all work out and I'm sure we are not the only program where this happens where families feel safety is an issue.   Longview fans claim 300 kids have been there every day for their workouts.  Maybe Coach King demands they be there, I don't know, but it's hot out there practicing using a mask. You can count those in the picture and can assume these are the kids that have been showing up for the workouts.

Todd Quick on Twitter

On another note, Lufkin ISD has made a deal to media stream the 2020 football games.  More details will be out for everyone soon.  There are so many other issues to deal with right now before they can get to the priority of game streaming.  Anyway, someone had ask and the answer is YES.

No word on the other schools in our district.  Although the U.I.L. approved media streaming football games in 2020,  individual school districts are not under any obligation to do so for their games.  When that information comes out, we will let everyone know the details.

Lufkin Panthers move forward with workouts, plans for fall camps.

With TAPPS delaying the start of their football season, it is uncertain what  the UIL will decide. The Panthers continue to workout as if their season will start on time.

https://www.ktre.com/2020/07/17/lufkin-panthers-move-forward-with-workouts-plans-fall-camps/

PA,

I would bet the season starts later and it goes straight to district games no pre-season or scrimmages not worth the extra risk. Similar or the same as TAPPS.

11 hours ago, pack98 said:

PA,

I would bet the season starts later and it goes straight to district games no pre-season or scrimmages not worth the extra risk. Similar or the same as TAPPS.

Can't go straight to District games. Districts are not even.

On 7/18/2020 at 4:05 PM, PurpleNation said:

Can't go straight to District games. Districts are not even.

Especially if it turns out to include a reduced games season.  Lufkin is scheduled for 8 district games, while there are some 5A districts with only 6 district games.  This whole mess gets more interesting by the day.  Drawing numbers out of hat to see who a team will play in district.  It will be football, but it won't be a fair set up for some folks.

Not sure how things will play out for the fall sports. Not looking good right now.

Wow..I know of several people who have had it. I can think of about 10 people off hand. And know of one personally who passed. I also have two friends who are nurses in Houston and they say it's nothing to take lightly. Neither will allow friends or family to visit without masks. 

22 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Especially if it turns out to include a reduced games season.  Lufkin is scheduled for 8 district games, while there are some 5A districts with only 6 district games.  This whole mess gets more interesting by the day.  Drawing numbers out of hat to see who a team will play in district.  It will be football, but it won't be a fair set up for some folks.

So many small college football leagues are cancelling their fall sports, right now.  SWAC is looking to do so too.  Several big city school districts will consider doing the same, maybe spring??? It's all out of hand and this COVID thing is tiring and hard to put up with right now.  I know a ton of folks in this city and around the State and I don't know a single one who has had this virus.   

Also,  still find it so strange that so many of those same folks we know are taking trips or with their family on vacations right now.  Going to Crystal Beach, Galveston, Branson,  Destin, Fla., South Padre and Atlanta, Ga.   RV trips all over the State to the Hill Country and beyond.  Not a single one has been sick with the virus.  How fortunate they are to continue life like there are no issues out there.  Decided a while back that we would not travel around in that same way, take precaution,  and just see what happens. We have not quarantined locally,  we just don't want to go out of town to stay in someone else's condo or in a hotel room right now.

It's all so frustrating and football is becoming the least problem of all.

My son has had the virus. It has been over 3 weeks and he still has no taste.

The Texas University Interscholastic League did not make a ruling on high school football in Texas today. They did say there will be an announcement forthcoming in the near future.

The UIL is modifying their 2020 high school fall sports calendar due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The biggest change will be delayed start for 6A and 5A schools while 4A through 1A will start as planned.

From the UIL:

The University Interscholastic League (UIL) is presenting modifications to the 2020-2021 UIL calendar and updated COVID-19 risk mitigation guidelines, set to take effect August 1, 2020.

https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/covid-19/football5A-6A

The modifications to the 2020-2021 calendar differ by activity and conference and can be found on the UIL website and in the chart below. These adjustments reflect the public health situation at this time and the varying numbers of COVID-19 cases across different geographic areas of the state. This plan provides a delay for schools in highly-populated metro areas, primarily conferences 5A-6A, given the challenges with COVID-19 those communities are facing, while providing schools in other areas, primarily 1A-4A, an opportunity to start seasons on schedule. Acknowledging the situation is not always clear-cut and that COVID-19 affects every community differently, the plan also allows for local flexibility and encourages districts to plan for possible interruptions in order to complete district seasons.

SUMMER STRENGTH &CONDITIONING

• SPORT SPECIFIC SKILL - Continue with current regulations through August 3

• August 3 – sport-specific time increases to 2 hours per day per sport, Monday - Friday
    • 2 hours of sport-specific training will stay into effect through September 7 for Fall sports  
    • The school athletic period will count towards the 2-hour allotted time once your school year has started

Regular Season

Schools who have offered strength and conditioning since August 24:

• September 7: Begin Acclimatization Period

• September 17-19:  1st Scrimmage

• September 24-26: Week One 

• December 5: District Certification

*Schools will have 11 weeks to play 10 games

**The above is only for schools who were not shut-down through September 7    

Schools who have not offered strength and conditioning since August 24:

• September 7: S&C and Sport Specific activities only, no pads or helmets allowed

• September 14: Begin Acclimatization Period

• September 24-26: 1st Scrimmage

• October 1-3: Week One

• December 5: District Certification

*Schools will have one less scrimmage in this scenario                                                                                                                      

Post Season

4 Qualifiers from each District

• December 10-12: Bi-District    

• December 17-19: Area

• December 24 or December 26: Regional (No games may be played on December 25) 

• December 31 - January 2: Quarter-Final

• January 7-9: State Semi-Final

• January 11: State Championship Games TBD

PA,

Going to be a interesting year. I pray all goes well and the kids stay safe and we can finish this season. 

Go Pack