2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, PackAttack said:

It is always good to have someone see things with fresh eyes,  from the outside looking in.   One would think a Top 10 5A DI team should have gone at least 3 rounds the past two years.  Maybe it's too much to expect.

I think Lufkin has to get creative on offense. Our basic spread is out dated. We need to use multiple formations using H-Backs, TE's, FB's. Way more motion and pre snap adjustments. Against Longview late in the game  showed a cover 0 blitz. Jordan Moore has to be able to check out of the play and go to a better play. Quick slant from the slot would had worked perfectly. Instead the play ends in a sack. We have an extremely talented QB and we have to be able to take advantage of that this year.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, LufkinPack said:

I hate it for the kid. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that going on in this community. The discipline and home raising of these kids just seem to be non-existent. I think chad has mentioned it before, maybe in other words, but discipline is a main blame in our program drop-off. If a kid doesn’t have to answer to anybody in his own home, what makes you think he’s going to go to school and answer to a coach or teacher? We have an issue. 

Man you said a mouth full, that's the major problem with this program

On 1/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, PackAttack said:

Pack007 knows a few of those individuals.  There are more dedicated kids on the team than the ones who don't feel accountable.  I know for sure our coaching staff holds the kids accountable,  as far as their control covers,  or the kids don't play.  Hard to say how much any off field activity affect things in the program and honestly, there have not  been any cases that have happen with kids while in the football program, like the Deandre situation.   Bagley is a 19 year old adult and out of high school anyway. He evidently kept his slate clean while in HS.  All programs deal with the in home accountability issues on some level.  Usually,  the more affluent programs less and the economically disadvantaged more often.  Just guessing, Lufkin is somewhere in the middle.

I won't go into too much detail, but Dre is a good kid that made some horrible decisions. He graduated with honors and has always been respectful young man. Has never been in any trouble are caused any harm to anyone until now. The man that committed those crimes is not the person his family or close friends know. They are just as shocked as you guys are. There was  an intervention plan put in place when he came back from college. Obviously it did not work. Prayers go out to the victim and his family. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. Dre will have to deal with his own demons from here on out. Maybe some time behind bars will give him a chance to reflect and get his life back on track. 

Wish we knew more about what the Lufkin non-district schedule will look like this fall.  We all know that Nacogdoches will be on our schedule someplace.  We know Longview will not be on the schedule because they have already announced their non-district line up.

Scrimmage - Lee
Wk 1 Temple at AT&T
Wk 2 Marshall
Wk 3 Cedar Hill
Wk 4 West Monroe in Shreveport
Wk 5 Rockwall

That is quite the competitive non-district schedule, with 4 of the 5 being 6A schools.

There is no way to guess who Lufkin could actually play, Tyler Lee comes to mind,  maybe The Woodlands or Westbrook.  Just a wild guess there.

26 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

I was looking over our school records and history. Pretty sure Denvis Manns holds the single game rushing record. Went for 306 against Marshall I believe in 94.

Okay Thanks, to go along with his 41 games carries.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:31 PM, timeout! said:

I won't go into too much detail, but Dre is a good kid that made some horrible decisions. He graduated with honors and has always been respectful young man. Has never been in any trouble are caused any harm to anyone until now. The man that committed those crimes is not the person his family or close friends know. They are just as shocked as you guys are. There was  an intervention plan put in place when he came back from college. Obviously it did not work. Prayers go out to the victim and his family. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. Dre will have to deal with his own demons from here on out. Maybe some time behind bars will give him a chance to reflect and get his life back on track. 

Don’t like speaking on things like this in public, but i guess it is what it is now. I Yea...sad situation. A person you would never suspect of that around this time last year. Smart and good kid. Things just went downhill for him in his life. Not going to make excuses though because i wouldn’t want to see it if i was the family of the guy. Praying for both though. But Dre was a good kid and i hate it. Just going down the wrong path sadly. I can’t lie last year around this time in the barbershop I’m not sure if I told chad or someone else on here this. But I was told that if a few of our kids from last years group....the person actually said the names.....didn’t stay in college, then they would be in jail. They didn’t say Dre name though. Just not something you would expect. Truly Hate that this happened for both families. Hope he grows from this. 

32 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Don’t like speaking on things like this in public, but i guess it is what it is now. I Yea...sad situation. A person you would never suspect of that around this time last year. Smart and good kid. Things just went downhill for him in his life. Not going to make excuses though because i wouldn’t want to see it if i was the family of the guy. Praying for both though. But Dre was a good kid and i hate it. Just going down the wrong path sadly. I can’t lie last year around this time in the barbershop I’m not sure if I told chad or someone else on here this. But I was told that if a few of our kids from last years group....the person actually said the names.....didn’t stay in college, then they would be in jail. They didn’t say Dre name though. Just not something you would expect. Truly Hate that this happened for both families. Hope he grows from this. 

Just want to mention that this info was not posted here on the LPS forum until after KTRE and The Lufkin News had publicly reported.  Talked to Dre 2 or 3 times when he played for the Panthers and can say he was always courteous and respectful on each occasion.  My hope and prayer is for the gentleman who was severely injured in all of this and know Dre will learn a tough life changing lesson here. Hopefully after being held accountable for his tragic mistake, it will turn into something more positive for him somewhere down the line in his life.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:03 PM, PackAttack said:

Wish we knew more about what the Lufkin non-district schedule will look like this fall.  We all know that Nacogdoches will be on our schedule someplace.  We know Longview will not be on the schedule because they have already announced their non-district line up.

Scrimmage - Lee
Wk 1 Temple at AT&T
Wk 2 Marshall
Wk 3 Cedar Hill
Wk 4 West Monroe in Shreveport
Wk 5 Rockwall

That is quite the competitive non-district schedule, with 4 of the 5 being 6A schools.

There is no way to guess who Lufkin could actually play, Tyler Lee comes to mind,  maybe The Woodlands or Westbrook.  Just a wild guess there.

I will be at the Temple vs Longview game next year. The kid isn't going to be handed the QB job he will have to compete vs a capable SR and earn it. I fully believe he will win it in the spring. Extremely excited.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I can't find anywhere where Longview released their pre district schedule. I know Feb 3 is realignment day and I imagine we will find out what Lufkin's is shortly after that. I'm sure they have 5 teams in mind and will drop accordingly to however big our district is. 

Lobo07 posted the non district schedule he knew about.

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Lobo07 posted the non district schedule he knew about.

Was just an educated guess. Only thing confirmed is W1 vs Temple at AT&T. We have West Monroe scheduled as well, but who knows if that’ll stick because of realignment.

I know Rockwall wants to stay on our schedule, and we’ve been in deep talks with Cedar Hill. Marshall and Longview coaching staffs both don’t want to schedule each other anymore but the admins of both schools have been pushing back hard.

I do think we’ll schedule Lee for our scrimmage though.

Nothing confirmed obviously until Feb 3rd rolls around.

43 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Was just an educated guess. Only thing confirmed is W1 vs Temple at AT&T. We have West Monroe scheduled as well, but who knows if that’ll stick because of realignment.

I know Rockwall wants to stay on our schedule, and we’ve been in deep talks with Cedar Hill. Marshall and Longview coaching staffs both don’t want to schedule each other anymore but the admins of both schools have been pushing back hard.

I do think we’ll schedule Lee for our scrimmage though.

Nothing confirmed obviously until Feb 3rd rolls around.

Thank You for the Clarification.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

The above Dave Campbell 5A DI District projections  would mean District 7-5A and 8-5A would play each other in the 1st round of the playoffs, no Longview or JT for Lufkin right out of the gate.  The East Dallas area Districts 5-5A and 6-5A would play each other in the 1st playoff round.  Lufkin, John Tyler and Longview have plenty of competition in front of them for district play and 1st round playoff match ups.  There is no cake walks here in Region II.

El Paso had a fourth school opt up yesterday. Stepp believes that’ll create two separate districts out west. So that’ll change everything. He believes Longview and JT could be joining Lufkin down south in district.

17 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

El Paso had a fourth school opt up yesterday. Stepp believes that’ll create two separate districts out west. So that’ll change everything. He believes Longview and JT could be joining Lufkin down south in district.

Interesting that one school in Region I would change things that much?  Also, can't  see the UIL sending Longview and JT southward.  That is a long, one way,  4 hour bus trip to New Caney, Conroe, Waller or Magnolia depending on the traffic and traffic is a big issue down in that area.  There is no easy route to Magnolia or Waller. Remember, there are two Magnolia teams, so you have that trip regardless. Stepp needs to figure who else would be included in that mix, not sure what tea leaves he is using, we are just talking about two schools. There is nothing 5A DI between Lufkin and New Caney, Conroe or Magnolia.   I frankly see Lufkin in the same district set up as before, adding the 2  New Caney schools, with College Station possibly headed over to Region III, maybe Lufkin goes RIII too,  who knows.

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

That would be crazy. Then again i wouldn’t care. 007 just want changes. Heck something to show me they care. But at least LSU finished the job this year and wasn’t a disappointment 

Wilburn Smallwood had a great Texas Top 100 camp this weekend.

Hopefully Caleb Berry and Jordan Moore can get into some camps in the off season.  Lots to learn when competing with other great talent in Texas.

22 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Imagine being that talented just to be mediocre in HS thanks to your coaching staff. Poor kids. 

You have a point.  It has happen to different players so many times over the past 14 years.  The exception to the rule was maybe Jorvorskie Lane.  They used him for all he was worth and  then some and still could not get past Southlake. Maybe add JaBryce Taylor from 2012 and  Isaiah Phillips from 2017 to that list.   Still could not get past the 3rd and 4th round.

Going to say this and let it go.  To me, we could have 20 Division I players on the team and we would be fortunate to make the 4th round.  I'm sorry, it makes me feel sad and guilty at the same time to speak in that way.  

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You have a point.  It has happen to different players so many times over the past 14 years.  The exception to the rule was maybe Jorvorskie Lane.  They used him for all he was worth and  then some and still could not get past Southlake. Maybe add JaBryce Taylor from 2012 and  Isaiah Phillips from 2017 to that list.   Still could not get past the 3rd and 4th round.

Going to say this and let it go.  To me, we could have 20 Division I players on the team and we would be fortunate to make the 4th round.  I'm sorry, it makes me feel sad and guilty at the same time to speak in that way.  

Completely agree. I just have nothing positive to say right now. 

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You also had Alton Dixon, McKinner Dixon, Leonard Hewitt, EJ Shankle, Ralph Thomas, Rashad Hunt, and if I remember correctly a young Dez Bryant was placed on varsity during the playoffs. Sure I missed some names that contributed. The team they lost too that year was pretty stacked too. I remember SLC being lead by Chase Daniels(qb), McKay Jacobsen(wr), Luna(rb) and they had another Wr that went to state in hurdles. I can't remember his name. Believe his dad had some connection to the Cowboys.

Lufkin may not have the overall numbers as they once had, but certainly enough to have won more than a handful of playoff games. I think about more recent player like KeKe Coutee, McCoy, Bug Thompson, Phillips, Malik Jackson, Carl Williams, etc. We have hardly anything to show for it except a playoff run in 2017. I don't really consider 2012 a playoff run year. I think we made it to be more than what it  really was, because it had been so long since we had did anything. We only won two playoff games that year. No way more accomplished schools would consider that a playoff run. Just the way things are around now. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

You also had Alton Dixon, McKinner Dixon, Leonard Hewitt, EJ Shankle, Ralph Thomas, Rashad Hunt, and if I remember correctly a young Dez Bryant was placed on varsity during the playoffs. Sure I missed some names that contributed. The team they lost too that year was pretty stacked too. I remember SLC being lead by Chase Daniels(qb), McKay Jacobsen(wr), Luna(rb) and they had another Wr that went to state in hurdles. I can't remember his name. Believe his dad had some connection to the Cowboys.

Lufkin may not have the overall numbers as they once had, but certainly enough to have won more than a handful of playoff games. I think about more recent player like KeKe Coutee, McCoy, Bug Thompson, Phillips, Malik Jackson, Carl Williams, etc. We have hardly anything to show for it except a playoff run in 2017. I don't really consider 2012 a playoff run year. I think we made it to be more than what it  really was, because it had been so long since we had did anything. We only won two playoff games that year. No way more accomplished schools would consider that a playoff run. Just the way things are around now. 

You solidified my point exactly.  There is a uncertainty about this program right now, only because playoff expectations have fallen short. It seems to extend from the Administration, Coaching , Players and Fans.  It's all connected.  You have an Amin that honestly gave Quick a justified chance to lead the Lufkin football program after Outlaw.  In his eight years, he has made the 3rd round in 2012 and the 4th round in 2017.   The last two seasons, Quick has been undefeated in District 8-5A DI,  District Coach of the year in both 2018 and  2019.  Those type of accomplishments do not hurt ones continued employment and especially when the Admin has been concentrating the past 2-3 years on 75 Million dollars of new bond projects.  Here is the rip,  when you start having unsuccessful playoff runs, your players lose those extra games experiences and also lose the mental knowledge of what it takes to make a  good playoff run.  You see the programs who are the perennial playoff teams in the State are that way for the reasoning I mentioned.   The playoff success is passed on to the next class,  to the next class and so on.  Lufkin did that pretty well between 1998 and 2006, then things fell off.  Finally, the fans?  They are fickle anywhere you go and are only as supportive and enthusiastic in bigger numbers,  base on having more consistent playoff successes,  than the one and one seasons.  In reverse, lack of fans support effects the players, the coaching and the Admin, because you lose valuable  playoff experience for the players and a bunch of lost playoff revenue the Admin could probably use right now.  There is nothing wrong with the program, that more playoff success will not cure moving forward.   If changes are needed to make that happen, then let's start get that ball rolling now.