2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

This will be interesting.  Of course the tough decisions will lie with Lufkin ISD and not everyone will be happy.   There were only 759 actual individuals who purchased season tickets last year. That's a 4.2 ticket average per individual.  For me, I have 7 total tickets, could make it with just 2 or 3.     We already sit at the very top, so that should be an easy choice.  

There will be many season ticket holders, who have existing health conditions who will not attend games or take the chance to attend.  Thus, the very reason for the survey.    Then there are the loyal general admission ticket buyers who have supported the Panthers for years on the other side of the stadium.   There will be others who don't attend because they may be ill or running a fever.  Fans temperature will be checked at the gate.   Mask may be required.  Hope we can buy some Purple Panther mask.  

My thought here, is that if the 50% capacity is still in place in September, then there will be no issues at Abe Martin for most fans who want to attend.  The great news, is Lufkin ISD will have it figured out by football season and all those who are allowed to attend will know where they will be located.   Whatever form this all takes place , it will be organized and in line with whatever compliance is required.  It will all work out under the circumstances.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caleb Berry has picked the Washington Huskies as his football college..........................

https://247sports.com/Article/Washington-football-recruiting-Caleb-Berry-commits-148750534/

Berry talks about his recruitment to Washington.

Caleb Berry at 6'2" and 209 lbs is one of the premier RBs this year in East Texas, He has the size and speed to play in a big college conference.  Washington Huskies are a big time verbal pick for him, although I wish he had chosen to stay in Texas.  

Kaden Meredith in Longview would be another, at 5'10 and 180 he has verbally committed to UT-El Paso.  

Hopefully we will be able to see Caleb play this season.  Not often does Lufkin have a Division I RB on the team.  It always seems to be a QB or a WR that Lufkin touts.  Hopefully, the OL will be improved from last season and provide the needed blocking for Berry and Toddrick Johnson. In fact, want all the Panthers to have a great year.  QB Jordan Moore, WRs Kelton Wright, Montgomery and Diaz.  Smallwood, Elijah, Owens, Maxie and more on the Pack defense.  Too bad the timing of all of this mess going around, the virus and unsettling situations happening.  My hope is 2020 can finish better than it has regressed so far.  It doesn't need to progress much to be a whole lot better than it has been.  So many good under class-men moving up to the Panther Varsity.  Wish I knew all the names.  

Well I will be in Seattle for the next 3-4 years will have to watch him play and say hello to him. 

GO Pack 

8 hours ago, pack98 said:

Well I will be in Seattle for the next 3-4 years will have to watch him play and say hello to him. 

GO Pack 

What takes you to Seattle?

This is not football, it is funny.  Just hope if I make it to 102,  I can still walk and see,  much less play golf, AND still care whether my shot is good or not. LOL

53 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

What takes you to Seattle?

Recruiting for the Navy. Medical officers. If I ever get to leave Bahrain. Hopefully will be there in Nov.

1 hour ago, pack98 said:

Recruiting for the Navy. Medical officers. If I ever get to leave Bahrain. Hopefully will be there in Nov.

At least you will be back in the U.S.  Lots has been happening in Seattle lately. 

Have been studying a bunch of flight logs my dad made during WWII in the Pacific.  He was a Pilot for a Navy PBY squadron based out of  New Caledonia., east of Australia.   He talks in one portion about helping to transport emergency medical units from Midway to and between Guam and Guadalcanal and making beach drops, all the while making torpedo runs on Japanese submarines on the way.  PBYs were a land and sea planes, and were used for many combat purposes. Really interesting stuff.  Tough times and environments back in those war years.

25 minutes ago, PlumPurple said:

why washington?

His choice, he liked them best of all the schools that recruited him and they offered him the opportunity to play there in his first year. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

At least you will be back in the U.S.  Lots has been happening in Seattle lately. 

Have been studying a bunch of flight logs my dad made during WWII in the Pacific.  He was a Pilot for a Navy PBY squadron based out of  New Caledonia., east of Australia.   He talks in one portion about helping to transport emergency medical units from Midway to and between Guam and Guadalcanal and making beach drops, all the while making torpedo runs on Japanese submarines on the way.  PBYs were a land and sea planes, and were used for many combat purposes. Really interesting stuff.  Tough times and environments back in those war years.

Thanks for sharing. Yes glad after 3 years to be back in America. Interesting times indeed. Just a few more years left I will hit my 20 in December and plan on doing 24. Long time ago PA from the early 2000’s when you sent me the scores to my ships email while I was  in the ocean floating around. 

Go Pack 

11 minutes ago, PlumPurple said:

why washington?

Remember mid 2000 Darks went or signed with them he was a LB so they have dipped in Lufkin before. I think he should go to whatever feels is the best for him and sometimes getting away is the best. Also Nevada is building a Lufkin pipeline. Free education and travel can’t beat it. Wish them all the success. 

Go Pack 

L to R:  Hunter "Cuddles" McCall.  Riley Self and Trenton Mosby.

Thanks to Johnathan Rex Hadnot Jr. work working with these guys during this social distancing time.  He has been a great teacher working with these kids,   https://twitter.com/TrenchesLive

This is great stuff. Most good athletes will agree with his analogy, because it makes you better come game time. From Coach Quick's Twitter page.

Lots of talk on twitter today about whether or not athletes who opt for online school will be allowed to play sports??? some districts have already said no... others yes! lots of things to consider. Carthage is one I remember who is not going to let those who choose remote learning participate. What  do you guys think?

34 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Where is your confidence level that high school and college football will start on time?

Nervous Indiana Jones GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

PA,

We have talked I think High School will not start on time. College will play later as well with only conference games the Big 10 started it and I expect the others will follow. This will allow them to start a little later.  I would even not be surprised if they cancel High School Football this year it sucks but I just don’t see it happening. 

14 hours ago, pack98 said:

I agree disservice but I think he is speaking in terms of the whole state not playing not Just Dallas. Either way I just hope the kids can play and keep safe. What a sad way to go out for seniors this year and last year if they cancel everything. I think they will play just not start the season until Nov or later in the year. 

That’s why i really haven’t said much. Honestly not sure it’s going to be a season This year.  If the virus spreads at a school during the summer workouts or...scrimmage....whatever, then boom. We’ll have to wait another few months more than likely or they will cancel the whole season. Which is why i thought it was a bad idea for the governor to rush the reopening of things. I understood financially why they were doing it, but common sense said things would get worse. Now they see it was a mistake or at least i hope they do. 

Just not expecting a full season....if any season at all this year. Hate it because we have a solid team and talented offense returning. As of right now though, it’s just not looking good for a full season. But....maybe I’m wrong. Some people seem to think this will just go away at some point. I don’t know....But definitely not expecting a full season. Too many risks to think about. 

Just read  junior colleges will play in the spring as well. The ACC, Pac-12 will also join the Big 10 and play  conference only. I imagine all colleges will do that and Notre Dame who plays 6 ACC games will play in the ACC completely this year. Going to be interesting year.  I even foresee if it continues no college bowl season most the semi finals and championship. We shall see. 

7 hours ago, Pack007 said:

That’s why i really haven’t said much. Honestly not sure it’s going to be a season This year.  If the virus spreads at a school during the summer workouts or...scrimmage....whatever, then boom. We’ll have to wait another few months more than likely or they will cancel the whole season. Which is why i thought it was a bad idea for the governor to rush the reopening of things. I understood financially why they were doing it, but common sense said things would get worse. Now they see it was a mistake or at least i hope they do. 

Just not expecting a full season....if any season at all this year. Hate it because we have a solid team and talented offense returning. As of right now though, it’s just not looking good for a full season. But....maybe I’m wrong. Some people seem to think this will just go away at some point. I don’t know....But definitely not expecting a full season. Too many risks to think about. 

You know you hit the nail on the head.  With all of the discussion going on, right or left or whatever.  Bottom line,  we just don't know.  The one thing we do know is all people don't have an immunity to this virus, I don't think it's killing many people, but I guess it's the fear of what it has done in some cases and that we don't yet have a vaccine.  That in itself causes big uncertainties because the virus does not hit everyone in the same way. Then again, that's a real fact for most things in  life, nothing occurs with people the same way.  None of us can ever be all  on the same level,  the human genetic makeup just does not make that possible.   Some have natural anti-bodies that protect them from diseases, others do not.  Most people dying with COVID, with a few exceptions,  have had these pre existing health conditions, which COVID seems to capitalize on.  Uncertainties abound and human nature most of the time takes the better safe than sorry road,  especially when they don't understand what they are facing.  Schools do the same thing.  It's like these these spaceship movies, where an alien comes to earth and lands.  The alien comes out of the space craft , hold out his hand to speak and the earth people shoot them down without ever knowing why they came here in the first place.  Happens in almost every movie like that.  The Day the Earth Stood Still is one that come to mind, both the 1951 and 2009 versions. Humans are just naturally fearful of the unknown.  That's our problem.

1 hour ago, pack98 said:

Just read  junior colleges will play in the spring as well. The ACC, Pac-12 will also join the Big 10 and play  conference only. I imagine all colleges will do that and Notre Dame who plays 6 ACC games will play in the ACC completely this year. Going to be interesting year.  I even foresee if it continues no college bowl season most the semi finals and championship. We shall see. 

They think cutting the number of exposure times will help?  It doesn't matter either way, whether you play 6 games or 10, your still getting enough exposure during those 6 games and practices leading up to those games to contact COVID.  What they are doing is a smoke and mirrors routine to appease some folks, so that they can have a football season.  It's not about isolation or limiting exposure time. Those schools have big TV contracts for conference games, it's about getting the real money available that comes from the conference game schedule. 

Herd immunity or natural immunity is what many are talking about right now, not knowing the future of a vaccine.  Herd immunity is very hard to achieve today because there too many humans on the planet. Herd immunity was the only option available 300 years ago , people had to let it run it's course. Downside was massive loss of life.  Not good.  There were no vaccines to help.  It has always been the survival of the fittest that comes out of a herd immunity situation.  During the Bubonic plague in Europe, the people who died from the disease, their bodies were burned, along with their home and all of their processions to try and kill the spread.  Very radical. Same thing happen in Europe and the U.S. with the Small Pox outbreak.  Until a vaccine was developed.  Humans have never done a good job of containing a pandemic.  Vaccine's are the best way to help prevent. Eventually, there will be a vaccine for COVID too.  This too shall pass and we will be the wiser for it,  it's just another chapter in human history.

https://stlukesmuseum.org/a-pox-and-the-social-covenant-1721-and-2020/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eKmiZfD6gIVE77ACh1OXAgpEAAYASAAEgLjx_D_BwE