2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

Wish that information about talent upcoming into the Lufkin program was that free flowing.   PurpleNation, although he's not living here, knows a bunch about our Lufkin talent.  Thankful for his input.

Still don't know how many players are participating in the Panther summer workouts.   

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Wish that information about talent upcoming into the Lufkin program was that free flowing.   PurpleNation, although he's not living here, knows a bunch about our Lufkin talent.  Thankful for his input.

Still don't know how many players are participating in the Panther summer workouts.   

There's a few coming up. The Menefee kid at Rb and you have the Cooper brothers. Honestly the excitement around football here has been somewhat stale. Think the community as a whole has become a little numb. Just don't see the same engagement as years past. It's obvious when you observe the attendance at home and away games. Lufkin had a packed house the first game against Longview last year. We maybe averaged half that on a good night the rest of the year, including the round 1 playoff game.

The younger folks have a lot more options for entertainment these days. You have to put out a good product to have people come out. Lufkin has become a lot like some of the schools in our Houston district. Low turnout and only a passing interest in the team. We can no longer get by on just being the only show in town. 

8 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Yeah that 7th grade will be a load. 

You're right. And here's the crazy part.

Besides the fact the class above them (that incoming 9th group) is even better....Odum may not even be the best back in that group. 

Ask @Pack007 about Kelvin Washington from Judson in that group. Washington is a stud. Odum had a good game vs Lufkin 7th (101 on the ground) but Washington went for 170 in that matchup. Judson is going to pump out back to back FBS potential RBs with incoming 9th Willie Nelson and incoming 8th Kelvin Washington. Both are special and train with some of the best out there.

Longview is going to have some tough decisions to make in the backfield in the future. Its going to be very deep. Good problem to have though.

5 hours ago, wolfpack4life said:

You're right. And here's the crazy part.

Besides the fact the class above them (that incoming 9th group) is even better....Odum may not even be the best back in that group. 

Ask @Pack007 about Kelvin Washington from Judson in that group. Washington is a stud. Odum had a good game vs Lufkin 7th (101 on the ground) but Washington went for 170 in that matchup. Judson is going to pump out back to back FBS potential RBs with incoming 9th Willie Nelson and incoming 8th Kelvin Washington. Both are special and train with some of the best out there.

Longview is going to have some tough decisions to make in the backfield in the future. Its going to be very deep. Good problem to have though.

Definitely. Kid was a beast. I went there to watch the Judson 8th grade group if i remember correctly against a pretty good Lufkin 8th grade team, but i was impressed with that kid and a few other players on the defense. 

Longview will always have some great running backs.....similar to us with receivers i guess. 

4 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Definitely. Kid was a beast. I went there to watch the Judson 8th grade group if i remember correctly against a pretty good Lufkin 8th grade team, but i was impressed with that kid and a few other players on the defense. 

Longview will always have some great running backs.....similar to us with receivers i guess. 

I dont know whats in the water at Judson. But the RBs they have been producing are something else. Remember Meredith is out of Judson.

Lufkin has some dudes coming up. Menefee looked like a good athlete the one time that I saw him last year. Believe theres another Hooper on the way, offense. A few others. Just a matter of what Quick and co will do with it once they get up to varsity.

Please elaborate a little more about the Cooper Brothers and Menefee.  Positions they play, I assume they will be freshman this year.  Size , speed??

IMO - Hoping this current virus  trend flattens out and down and we get in a whole football season. If not, all schools could probably start the HS football season, but the season may end up just like the Spring sports. We may not finish the season.  The Dallas or Houston area districts are the ones most likely to have difficulty earlier than most.  Things could be so jumbled up with quarantined players or teams by mid-season there will be no way to piece the rest together, especially in the 5A and 6A ranks.  The 1A-3A schools will fare better than the rest, but they would not survive either because you can't have one without the others.  There are currently 50% of Texas teachers who want to remotely teach students anyway, the fear factor of COVID,  to side with the worse case scenario of caution could prevail in the end.   There are certain factions of thought in this Country, who would prefer all businesses, schools and sports stay shut down, AND for everyone to stay home and social distance for another year, no matter the economic failure and harm it would cause for the people and economy of America long term. 

It's is a mess isn't it, and if it's not, it will do until a mess gets here!

Granbury High School is 5A Division I.  They report a big increase in participation over 2019, 280 kids in their summer program.  Almost every program I've read about or people I've talked with say their program has had a large increase in player participation.   Granbury has  a nice looking weight room.  Lufkin does too.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/06/26/texasfootballcom-interview-granbury-head-coach-chad-zschiesche?ref=article_preview_title

My question, did Lufkin have any increase in their numbers?  What ARE the Lufkin numbers?  That would be a great question for KTRE or Lufkin Daily to ask Quick.

Riley Self, Trent Mosby and Dalen Johnson summer OL training. Go Pack!   Trenton (middle)  has added a few pounds since 2019

listen up. Defensive Backs read your WR stances.  WR don't give it away.   Good advice from a PRO.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, PackAttack said:

Please elaborate a little more about the Cooper Brothers and Menefee.  Positions they play, I assume they will be freshman this year.  Size , speed??

The Hooper kids will be 8th graders. I'm telling you that 7th grade class is loaded. They split the teams up this year. They got something.

3 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

The Hooper kids will be 8th graders. I'm telling you that 7th grade class is loaded. They split the teams up this year. They got something.

Looking forward to seeing that group in a few years.  Hopefully, I'm still around to watch them.

There is rumored a proposal being passed around by Metroplex TAPPS coaches and some Dallas area UIL coaches, about switching the sports seasons.  Playing and picking up where the Spring HS seasons left off this fall and then playing the football season in the spring sports slot.  This will be discussed by the UIL next week. 

What are your thoughts on this proposal? 

Right now, I have no thoughts on anything one way or another. .  

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

There rumored is a proposal being passed around by Metroplex TAPPS coaches and some Dallas area UIL coaches, about switching the sports seasons.  Playing and picking up where the Spring HS seasons left off this fall and then playing the football season in the spring sports slot.  This will be discussed by the UIL next week. 

What are your thoughts on this proposal? 

Right now, I have no thoughts on anything one way or another. .  

One question I have....

The early enrollees on every team, such as potentially a Jordan Moore or Wilburn Smallwood at Lufkin....how would they get to play if they are already away at college?

Or would the NCAA temporarily suspend early enrollee signees?

1 hour ago, wolfpack4life said:

One question I have....

The early enrollees on every team, such as potentially a Jordan Moore or Wilburn Smallwood at Lufkin....how would they get to play if they are already away at college?

Or would the NCAA temporarily suspend early enrollee signees?

Excellent question.  There is so much to work out on such a switch I do know how that would all work.

DCTF managing editor Greg Tepper on the realities of a Texas high school football season during a pandemic.

As far as I can tell, the 2020 Texas high school football season is slated to kick off in earnest at 5 p.m. CT on Thursday, August 27. That’s when toe is scheduled to meet leather when San Marcos Baptist Academy hosts Dallas Fairhill School in a TAPPS six-man contest. The UIL season isn’t far behind, at 6 p.m., with a handful of games across the Lone Star State — from Class 6A (Cy Springs at Katy Taylor) to Class 1A (Turkey Valley vs. Aspermont in the kickoff of the annual Jayton Gridiron Classic).

We’re in that strange part of the calendar where time feels fluid. Football is simultaneously right around the corner (only 59 days!) and far off in the future (how are we expected to wait 59 more days?).

But as you know, because you are a living person in the remarkably awful year of 2020, a lot can happen in 59 days. And the upcoming Texas high school football season feels more like a question mark than an exclamation point.

There’s a lot of words being said and written about the future of Texas high school football. Here are two more that I think are particularly prudent.

BRACE

Let’s all acknowledge: the 2020 Texas high school football season will be fundamentally different than the seasons that preceded it.

The COVID-19 pandemic is not the first global event that’s affected Texas high school football — many schools didn’t field teams during both World Wars; and natural disasters have played a factor as well, like when Galveston Ball canceled its 1900 season due to the Great Galveston Hurricane.

With the coronavirus causing troubling numbers in Texas right now, many Texas high school football programs have suspended their voluntary strength and conditioning workouts — some due to a positive test on the team, others as a precaution.  And with spring football practices already canceled, it’s fair to assume that this point that if and when football teams do get on the field, they will be a bit rougher around the edges than we’re used to seeing, especially in the early going.

Furthermore, it’s important to recognize that while we’re all experiencing the same event, teams will be experiencing it differently. It’s entirely possible that one team starts football season and plays it all the way through; another team starts football season but doesn’t finish it; and another team doesn’t start at all.

And this doesn’t even address the topic of fans in the stands, which remains a total unknown. But I think it’s fair to say at this juncture that it’s highly unlikely that we’ll see full stadiums in the fall.

This isn’t to be alarmist or negative; quite the opposite. It’s simply important that Texas high school football fans recognize that this year will certainly be different.

I remain optimistic that Texas high school football will happen in some form or fashion, but I’m also certain that it won’t look like the 2019 season. It’s prudent that Texas high school football fans brace themselves for that reality.

GRACE

Let’s all acknowledge: everyone is flying pretty blind in this situation.

The status of the pandemic, especially here in Texas, is changing rapidly, as is our understanding of the virus itself. Three weeks ago, COVID-19 appeared to be ebbing across the Lone Star State; now, well, the situation has changed.

There are going to be a lot of decisions made about and surrounding Texas high school football, by coaches and school districts and governing bodies like the UIL. Not all of them are going to be popular, in part because for some reason, we’ve turned a viral pandemic into a political wedge issue.

But these decisions are difficult and nuanced and frustrating, because the margin for error is slim. And to make matters worse, the rapidly changing information is going to make these decisions a moving target.

The UIL, school district administrators and Texas high school football coaches are, first and foremost, teachers — their No. 1 priority is not free safeties, but student safety.

What I would urge Texas high school football fans: offer some grace to the decision-makers. Assume the best intentions from them, not some sinister objective. These are challenging times and call for challenging decisions to be made; the least that Texas high school football fans can do is give the decision-makers the benefit of the doubt.

———

We all want football in the fall; nobody is rooting against the return of the Friday night lights. We're all in this together. But these extraordinary times will call for an extraordinary season, and we should prepare for that with an open mind.

Lufkin Football Summer Workouts are still going strong through the different sessions of the day.  No COVID cases to report so far.  Coaches and players are doing an outstanding job of safety and hygiene protocol.  Just a month and a couple days, before regular workouts begin.  Every day is a valuable plus towards the conditioning end of things,  especially when you consider how many other programs have suspended their on campus workouts.

Lufkin ISD has contacted Season Ticket Holders by E-Mail, with a link to a survey for them to fill out.  Here is the e-maiI I received on Monday referencing my tickets, it has been redacted somewhat for secure reasons.

Lufkin Panther Football Season Ticket Holders:

High school football is going to look quite different this year from the effects of the pandemic. We are looking at ways to ensure the safety of our students, staff, families and community as a whole. Due to capacity regulations, social distancing, and decisions still to be determined by UIL, your tickets are guaranteed to not be the same as in years past. We anticipate having to block off areas for seating and social distancing. That will mean that you will not be able to sit in the section and seats you are accustomed to having. However, what we can guarantee is that next year (Fall 2021) your season tickets will remain intact. 

Please click the following link to a survey so that we can have feedback....Thank you!

Sheila Adams

Executive Director of Communications and Public Relations

Lufkin Independent School District

101 Cotton Square

Lufkin, TX 75904

Office: (936) 630-4246

Fax: (936) 699-2601

www.lufkinisd.org

According to the State of Texas. Stadiums will tentatively have 50% capacity in the fall. Of course this could change. Abe Martin has capacity of 10,467. At 50% that would make 5233 available in September. In 2019, Lufkin had 3196 season tickets sold to 759 season ticket holders. That does not include band and drill team. If you use 2019 numbers, that leaves approximately 2037 seats the school will need to determine how to divide and disperse between bands, drill teams, visitors and general admission patrons. More uncertainties than solid answers right now.

PA,

I would imagine they may give the parents of the players, band and cheer first dibs and then season ticket holders maybe 50% capacity but if the uil rules less  then it will get interesting who do you let it? I would say the parents or guardians a set limit and then any left over you take the season ticket holders from longest to most recent. It sucks but I feel the families should have first dibs. 

Go Pack