2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

The year is now 2020, the start of a new decade.  Say Good Bye to the 2010s and Hello to the Hope of new possibilities.

This begins the Panther Football topic link for the 2020 season ahead.  The prospects of a new district and the addition of a couple new 5A DI schools.  Tomball and Willis will move to 6A DII.

Going to continue to use this topic link for all Panther Football information, news and updates.  However, when the season does arrive, we plan to have a separate topic for each game on the schedule from week to week.  That way, individual game information does not get clogged up in the months long general information column.

More later.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the names of the Lufkin players, who will return for the 2020 season and classification they will be next year.  Taken from the last roster available late in the season.  Have added *** beside the names who may have started at least on game at some point last season.  If there are those we need to add to this list, please let us know.

SR AJ Montgomery  WR   ***

SR Jordan Moore  QB  ***

SR Jackson Warden  S

SR Julian Diaz  CB

SR Christian Diaz  WR

SR Kelton Wright  WR  ***

SR Deondros Calhoun  S

SR Charlie Arnold  S

SR DJ Humphrey  CB

SR Toddrick Johnson  RB

JR Jaykeevien Collins  CB

JR Brandon Cano  K

SR Caleb Berry  RB  ***

SR Caleb Encarnacion  K   ***

SR  Leonardo Aguilar  WR 

SR Jaccheus Remo  WR

SR Davion Wacasey  LB

SR Samuel Flack  LB/TE  ***

SR Khaden Maxie   LB  ***

SR Juan Aguilar  OL

SR  Joseph Montes  DL

JR Jamarion Johnson  DL

SR Larson Kay  LB

SR Gerard Frost  DL

SR William McCall  OL  ***

SR Juan Diosdado  OL

JR  Trent Mosby  OL  ***

SR Ricardo Viezca Ramirez  LB

SR Alex Pruitt  OL  ***

SR Riley Self  OL  ***

SR Kedaren Holman   OL  ***

SR  Tavaris Owens  DL

Sr  Kayson Elijah  DL ***

SR Wilbur Smallwood  DL  ***

SR  Zion Moreland   DL

SR Latrevion Shaw  DL

SR Alberto Medina  K

SR Erick Aguliar K

SR Armando Castanada  K

They do not pay attention to anything said here. None of us know what we are talking about and the program seems above the fray with whatever yearly results occur. Fan opinion does not matter, as long as the school sells out the season tickets every year. Even Coach Quick openly said in the Outlaw movie,, our program is not trying to be a football factory. Strictly about educating the students first is the focus.  It is public school after all.

3 hours ago, pimpthepen said:

But you can be a football Factory and educate the student

That is also true.  Lots of other schools make that happen and Lufkin has always had several Academic All District players on the team.  A great example of that is Jerrin Thompson and JaLynn Polk graduating early this last December and moving on to college this month.

This kind of confirms what we already should have known.  Ranked #178 in ALL of Texas High School Football for 2020.

2020 Texas High School Football Program Rankings, What are the best high school football programs in Texas?

The 2019 Texas high school football season is in the books — the champions crowned, the pads put away, the iconic Friday night lights extinguished. This moment in time provides us with a unique opportunity to look back over the better part of the last decade and attempt to answer a seemingly unknowable question: what is the best high school football program in Texas?

With data help from Jerry Forrest at PigskinPrep.com, Dave Campbell's Texas Football is proud to unveil the 2020 edition of its Texas High School Football 6-Year Program Rankings, a look at the relative strength of each UIL Texas high school football program. The goal of the project is to rank the relative strength of every program in Texas over the course of the last six seasons.

Why six seasons? A six-year sample provides a steady measure of a program as opposed to an individual squad — six years represents one-and-a-half graduation cycles, mitigating the impact of a single transcendent class of athletes. In short: good programs have great teams one or two years, but great programs have great teams spread across a larger swath of time, like six years.

The rankings are based on a formula that takes into account the following five criteria:

Games Won — The raw number of games a team won relative to the maximum number possible (96 for 11-man teams, 90 for 6-man teams); so, of the maximum number of games a team could have won, how many did it win?
Winning Percentage — Of the games a team played, how many did it win?
10-Win Seasons — Of the six seasons, how many did a team win 10 games?
State Championships — How many state titles did a team win?
State Championship Game Appearances — How many state championship games did a team play?

The criteria are set against a 100-point scale, wherein a perfect six-year run — 96-0 (or 90-0 for a six-man team) with six state championships — would result in a score of 100, and a perfectly miserable six-year run — 0-96 (or 0-90 for a six-man team) — would result in a score of zero.

This year's set of rankings reflect the 2014 through 2019 seasons; last year's rankings reflected the 2013 through 2018 seasons. Please note: a team must have played in six varsity seasons to be eligible for these rankings. So, teams like College Station join the rankings for the first time, since the Cougars first played varsity football in 2014, while teams like Alvin Shadow Creek will not be in the rankings, since the Sharks — the 5A Division I state champs — played just its second varsity football last in 2019.

Here are the 2020 Six-Year Program Rankings presented by Dave Campbell's Texas Football.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/01/06/2020-texas-high-school-football-program-rankings-what-are-the-best-texas-high-school-football-programs?ref=article_preview_title

12 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yea....some people act like you can’t do both. It’s just an excuse because they aren’t doing what’s expected on the football field. 

Agreed.  There are several dynamic involved around here. 

“It's the tide. It's the dismal tide. It's not just the one thing.” ……. No Country For Old Men

On 1/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, LufkinPack said:

Yup. Definitely aren’t doing what they could on the field. And to be fair. It’s not like Lufkin is just an excellent choice for academics either. But whatever helps them sleep at night.

Yep, it gets to the point where over time, people are lulled into indifference,  people can't see the true reality of the situation that has evolved around them.

No sir.  Coming back from Atlanta, Ga today. Not sure who else may have attended. I know a couple who were there for sure, they never miss anything the football coaches or players are doing, ever.

After looking at this awards video, it reminded me that Coach Quick has won back to back , undefeated 8-5A DI district titles.  He was voted district coach of the year last year and I believe shared as Co- coach of the year this year.  There is no doubt that 2017, 2018 and 2019 have been much better regular season years.

Our complaints have mainly been about losing in the playoffs and those results.  Not many has ever disputed the regular season success of the last few years of either Outlaw or even Quick, at least his past 2 or 3 years.  Although Quick did have a 5-6 in 2013, 6-5 in 2014,  7-4 in 2015 and 7-4 in 2016, lest we forget those tough times  ( 25- 19 over 4 years, 0-4 in playoffs).    Outlaw even had a couple of 9-1 regular season years,  2007 and 2010,  and he lost in the 1st round then too.   So,  it is not something new around here.  In fact we all know its been an on going issue the last 14 years.  Nine (9) of those year are 1st round playoff exits. Chad has good points, everyone has known these facts have existed for years now, our dialog about it never changes nor does it impact the season to season results.  Just people like me that kept holding on to what Lufkin use to be,  hoping things would return to those good ol days and not really wanting to accept how much things had really changed around here.  Reality of truth stinks sometimes, one can deflect the facts only so long,  before they can't any longer.   For me to continue to follow the Pack football with a new prospective will take an open mind,  a deletion of past expectations and the Legend of Outlaw. NEW SLATE.   Believe that may be the best way to approach the future of PACK football for me. I mean, when a program goes "one and done",  9 of the last 14 years. Especially now days when 4 teams from every district makes the playoffs.  That's is being average at best.

This is so sad for me to see this, thought a lot of Deaundre. Hard to understand why? He and Demond McKelvey had football scholarships to Southern Arkansas, but evidently Deaundre dropped out.  An action that tragically changes his life forever,  in an instant. A no win decision for him.

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - Lufkin police said they have made an arrest in the Dec. 17 aggravated robbery that left a man seriously injured.

According to Lufkin police, Deandre Bagley, 19, was arrested for the alleged aggravated robbery that seriously injured 64-year-old Joaquin Silva.

Police said Silva had left his Chevy truck running in his driveway at 800 North Third Street when Bagley came up and stole it around 8:50 p.m.

Silva walked out of his home in time to see Bagley trying to leave in his truck and attempted to stop him. Silva grabbed on to the truck and was dragged into the road where he lost his grip and fell. Bagley then ran over him while fleeing the scene.

Police said Silva was taken to a local hospital and later flown to a Houston-area hospital due to the severity of his injuries.

An hour later, Bagley fled from officers in Silva’s truck. Following a short vehicle pursuit, he abandoned the vehicle at the end of Minnie Lou Drive and fled on foot, evading arrest twice.

He turned himself in at the Angelina County Jail last night and remains there as of Saturday morning.

Police said Silva remains in the ICU of a Houston-area hospital continuing his recovery. He suffered a broken ankle, fractured vertebrae in his neck, broken ribs and a fractured pelvis.

I hate it for the kid. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that going on in this community. The discipline and home raising of these kids just seem to be non-existent. I think chad has mentioned it before, maybe in other words, but discipline is a main blame in our program drop-off. If a kid doesn’t have to answer to anybody in his own home, what makes you think he’s going to go to school and answer to a coach or teacher? We have an issue. 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:00 PM, LufkinPack said:

I hate it for the kid. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that going on in this community. The discipline and home raising of these kids just seem to be non-existent. I think chad has mentioned it before, maybe in other words, but discipline is a main blame in our program drop-off. If a kid doesn’t have to answer to anybody in his own home, what makes you think he’s going to go to school and answer to a coach or teacher? We have an issue. 

Pack007 knows a few of those individuals.  There are more dedicated kids on the team than the ones who don't feel accountable.  I know for sure our coaching staff holds the kids accountable,  as far as their control covers,  or the kids don't play.  Hard to say how much any off field activity affect things in the program and honestly, there have not  been any cases that have happen with kids while in the football program, like the Deandre situation.   Bagley is a 19 year old adult and out of high school anyway. He evidently kept his slate clean while in HS.  All programs deal with the in home accountability issues on some level.  Usually,  the more affluent programs less and the economically disadvantaged more often.  Just guessing, Lufkin is somewhere in the middle.

Many of you have been asking about it...here it is, the Lufkin Panther Football 2019 Season Highlight Video. We just want to say thank you to The Lufkin Panther Football Mother's Club, the Sideliner's, Coach Quick, and the entire Panther Football family for allowing us to be a small part of Lufkin Panther Football this year. Congrats on a great season. #gopack

https://m.facebook.com/JAMdigitalproductions/

The Longview game was the largest attendance we had all year for a home game.  Granted the last few home games were unusually cold and wet, really did hold back many of our fans from attending.  Older fans and families with small children just do not take the chance to sit in that type weather.

5 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Guys feel free to jump on that Temple band wagon. Since you guys are hanging it up in January lol.

Don't think I'm willing to do that just yet.  Just tell us what we have to hang on to here with the playoff results this program has produced the past 14 years ????   I think that is a decent question to ask.

3 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Don't think I'm willing to do that just yet.  Just tell us what we have to hang on to here with the playoff results this program has produced the past 14 years ????   I think that is a decent question to ask.

Going to have a very experienced QB and RB.  Ill atleast wait until after I see them next year before writing them off. DE Smallwood was also invited to the Texas Top 100 invite only camp coming up ( My Son did too only 1 of 3 freshman I know that have confirmed they will be there). This is for the best players in Texas.  Im not ready to write Lufkin off. Do I think they're title contenders ? Probably not but I imagine they will be a Top 10 5A team.

2 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

Going to have a very experienced QB and RB.  Ill atleast wait until after I see them next year before writing them off. DE Smallwood was also invited to the Texas Top 100 invite only camp coming up ( My Son did too only 1 of 3 freshman I know that have confirmed they will be there). This is for the best players in Texas.  Im not ready to write Lufkin off. Do I think they're title contenders ? Probably not but I imagine they will be a Top 10 5A team.

It is always good to have someone see things with fresh eyes,  from the outside looking in.   One would think a Top 10 5A DI team should have gone at least 3 rounds the past two years.  Maybe it's too much to expect.