CURRENT UP TO DATE INFO on the NEW Multi Purpose Gym , Baseball and Softball Fields BOND Projects.

Now that the 75 million dollar bond has passed and been approved. This is good for all of the Lufkin Independent School District. To complete a new and up-to-date energy efficient Middle School is essential and now will be a reality. A real blessing to those students who will attend there in the future.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't have any experience with blueprints like you do, but I am thinking this plan of yours (at least from my limited knowledge) sounds GREAT! I am sure there are people out there who know more than I do who could ask more questions and throw this idea around..... just MHO!

On 5/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, pantherproud said:

Well, I don't have any experience with blueprints like you do, but I am thinking this plan of yours (at least from my limited knowledge) sounds GREAT! I am sure there are people out there who know more than I do who could ask more questions and throw this idea around..... just MHO!

Well, what I suggested depends on other situations too,  acceptable ground and foundation support in that area, cost and such.  If my math is correct, the 13% of 75M is around 9.5M available for the multi-purpose competition gym according to the LDN. That's a good chunk of change to build a nice facility. Like I said, it's only a thought. However, you could put two competition gym floors side by side there in that area. I was just considering that this option could cover multiple areas of improvement. Architects and engineers will know better than I. Just idle thinking on my part.

• PackAttack pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, Pack007 said:

Not too far from the stadium. Where we sometimes have the 7 on 7 games. At least in the past we did. Not sure if we did it in June. 

Well, I was thinking of parking there at LHS. You can save a ton of $$$$$$$ by using all  the existing parking by the stadium and not building a bunch of new parking, then the school would be able to upgrade and put more of the bond money into all the new additions around campus. Like, something right next to the Abe Martin home side stands or open area behind scoreboard, it would be close to all the parking lots and the Elmer Redd Athletic Complex. Then you could create ONE new home entrance to the stadium and to the NEW GYM, one facing the parking lot side toward the Athletic Complex and one maybe on the other end by Jase Magers .   Then you would have multiple access to the parking lots that are already there, whatever additional parking they may add and the Atletic Complex. Then you could really make the place a true multi purpose athletic facility. The possibilities become endless with 9 million plus dollars set aside for the project. 

I’m not sure who did it. But i really like the way the football stadium with the high school in Palestine is built. The gym is kinda connected to it too. They have the press box connected to the high school like Longview. It’s really nice. I walked around it when Westbrook from our district was in the 3rd round a few years ago and played there. Not much parking though 

Well, I believe we have some forward thinkers in our school district that can envision a nice complete complex like that for Lufkin and move us up into the 21st century with a really nice multi purpose layout.

I like that idea. Only difference i see with lobo and palestine is those stadiums are built into hills. So it makes the transition of building to football stadium a little less abrupt. That could work out for us though if you are wanting to put concessions and such but you will have a gap between the structures. Also how with this affect the future if we do decide to build a new stadium? Just some thoughts

On 11/28/2018 at 5:05 PM, Chadalac05 said:

I like that idea. Only difference i see with lobo and palestine is those stadiums are built into hills. So it makes the transition of building to football stadium a little less abrupt. That could work out for us though if you are wanting to put concessions and such but you will have a gap between the structures. Also how with this affect the future if we do decide to build a new stadium? Just some thoughts

If it were behind the press box, it would not effect a single thing actually from an engineering prospective because the new structure Multi Purpose would not be attached in any way.  Freestanding approach within 5-10 ft off the backside of the existing home side or the open space behind the scoreboard.  of course the soil grade would need to be raised quite a bit, an open concourse built to access both the Multi Purpose and Abe Martin with steps and ADA ramps leading to Abe and flat walking area leading to the new Multi Purpose, same thing applies if it is built over behind scoreboard.  This way,  you have the advantage and  flexibility of interweaving your new design.   The roadway could then be expanded in some way  around the new building, leading over to the new baseball/softball complex.  The circle drive goes away if you build it over toward the creek side as would the driveway leading out by the tennis courts.  New courts will be added in the area where that drive currently exist.  I will make you a drawing, it is the best way.  Not sure how the exits will look, other than re opening the old Jr High East Road as an entrance/Exit.  Possible an exit back out to the loop access road somewhere behind the maintenance building ??? Not sure.  There is a lot of land behind there that the school owns.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 3 months later...

According to an early week edition of The Lufkin Daily News the Lufkin ISD announced that plans are still being made for the middle school and for the improvements at the Lufkin high school campus in accordance to the 75 million dollar Bond that was passed in 2018. An array of planners, business managers, architects and other key people we're still working on designs and cost, all yet to be evaluated. The Middle School will be done in phases and will take up to three years to build. Any structures on the Lufkin high school campus seem to be months away from a decision or even starting these projects. My guess is at least another 18 months before we see anything substantial.

From what I have heard for the improvements at the Lufkin high school campus, trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

If you go to the High School, you can see where they have surveyed off the new areas of fields and gym construction with stakes with pink ribbons everywhere. You can see how close the Multi Purpose Gym will be to Abe Martin, in fact, right behind the scoreboard. The South end circle around the stadium behind the scoreboard will be eliminated. You can see where new additional tennis courts are staked off , closing off that road and approx where the new road will begin between the new courts and about 100 ft back toward the creek bridge. Looks like all new entries and driveways will come in on the undeveloped property adjacent to current HS boundaries to the south toward the Chevron and Love's. The Old Jr High East road will be opened back up too because it is also staked out. The new baseball and softball areas have also been marked. They have also marked some new parking areas.   It's a preliminary survey.

Have also noticed there has been several Lufkin ISD maintenance trucks working over at the Old Federal or Old Stallion Building on N. First St, getting it ready for some sort of Administrative relocation. 

That place is more than twice the size of the current location and has lots more accessable parking. Perfect fit.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yes sir.  THANK YOU.  We knew where the gym was going to be and all the details.  We were just swore to secrecy.  Of course we did not know what everything would look like and it looks awesome.

safe_image.php?d=AQDb_rEL66JSX5DX&w=476&

Ground breaking on the Multi-Purpose will be right after graduation according to Coach Quick.  Then the Baseball/Softball/Tennis sometime later after that because they will need to put in all the new driveways and parking areas surrounding the projects too.  The basketball teams will be in Panther Gym in 2020, however their move to the new gym must be completed first in order to start the new MS construction .   It is my understanding that the new middle school design will interconnect the exiting Old Panther Gym and MS Auditorium into the all new MS design, with the Auditorium becoming a new concourse area for the MS which will have it's new entrance on Tulane Drive and not Denman Avenue any longer. It will be very interesting to see the new lay out, with much of the 1955 structure going away and mostly being built facing the Tulane Drive side.  Great stuff to look forward to in Lufkin.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=lufkin+middle+school+aerial+photo&FORM=AWRE  (Click on Aerial view)

That will be coaches offices for baseball and softball. Also there are batting cages and dressing rooms for all teams. Every field has batting cages and each field will have a separate concession stand

• 3 weeks later...

Need to mention that the dirt work for the new projects at Lufkin High School, the new multi-purpose gym and the new baseball and softball complex will begin sometime in June or July according to Coach Quick. Going to be fun to watch everything come together over the next several months ahead.