2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have might have 3 DL guys, Tavaris Owens, Wilburn Smallwood and Kayson Elijah who will have been offered by DI schools by summer.  Possible Khaden Maxie at LB will have an offer to a DI school.   We have a QB, RB, WR , Jordan Moore, Caleb Berry and Kelton Wright and maybe a couple OL guys , Alex Pruitt and Riley Self,  who could have DI offers by August.   This team could have 9-10 guys being looked at by DI schools.  Interesting set up going forward with all of these massive schedule changes in the works because of the virus pandemic.  Unsure of when all of this mess finally goes away.   Hold on,  because it will be a different looking football season for sure.    

From LUFKIN ISD -  Emergency food boxes will be given away at George H. Henderson Jr. Expo Center, tomorrow (Tuesday, March 31st), from 4-7 p.m.

Lufkin ISD school closure is being extended until May 4th per Governor’s orders. The district will extend the suspension of normal district operations until Monday, May 4, in an effort to support our nation’s need to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.

Hope his experience helps the Panthers in 2020 too,  before he gets on board in College.   

Looks like Lufkin will have at least a couple of DI O- Lineman when the season finally gets going Self and Pruitt.   Add in DI offers to Caleb Berry, Jordan Moore and Kelton Wright.   We are already seeing DI offers in the Panther D-Line to Wilburn Smallwood , Tavaris Owens and Kayson Elijah.     

Let's get past this horrible virus mess and we will see how things may go then.  

Everyone please stay safe and healthy out there . Check you six on this deal and hope everyone comes out the other side in good shape.

2019 Football Flashback!   Hard to look past what is before us right now in hopes of a 2020 season.  Socializing will be much different for awhile, even into next fall.

Hasn't been very much to talk about this off season.  Hope all of you folks are doing well out there, staying safe and healthy. Haven't heard much from anyone is awhile, hope you not so ticked off about football or maybe at me, that you don't drop by to say HI every now and then,  just to  keep up with each other.

Stay healthy everyone. just need to bunker down a bit longer and get through all this mess.   Go Pack!

Lufkin at Evangel in 2006.   Dez may have had 3 catches in this entire game, didn't throw to him much.   Claybon didn't have a great night. Offense was running a very familiar play selection, just change the date and you would think it's 2019.   Lufkin was really fortunate to get a win on the road, even though it was a hard place to play back in those days.   Both teams had missed opportunities and lots of turnovers for an opening game of the year.  By 2006,  Evangel was not the powerhouse they had been just a few years previous.  This was a Lufkin team coming off a 2005 semi finals finish.  In the weeks that followed, Lufkin played well, rolling up several big wins, in fact,  11 wins in a row before they lost to Round Rock in the 2nd Round of the 2006 5A DII playoffs.

Dave Campbell Texas Football discusses COVID-19 and teams to watch for in 2020.   Not much ever discussed about Lufkin, and I think it's because they were picked as #1 two years ago and then #5 most of 2019 .   My thinking is they have been burned twice now and Lufkin has not fulfilled their projections.   Don't think they know what to trust about our program right now.

Go ahead and subscribe to DCTF for $19.95 for the year and that includes the DCTF Magazine.  

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/04/03/tep-stepp-coaching-changes-covid-19-and-txhsfb-sleepers?ref=article_preview_title

We have learned that the Panthers have added a scrimmage with Longview , in addition to Huntsville who was already scheduled as our scrimmage game in 2020 before the season begins in Tyler against Tyler Lee.   UIL will possibly allow one extra week of preparations to schools.   

Of course all Spring Football has been cancelled.  The States 7 on 7 season is at best 50/50 according to Dave Campbell Texas Football.    I can only guess at what may be happening in June 2020 and beyond those dates.

This all will get better, but right now it is day by day.  Have never experienced anything like this in my lifetime.  Stay strong folks.  We will try and keep you all posted whenever we hear anything useful to report.  Go Pack!!

Thanks for the updates PA! I couldn't get the link to play. 

I'm starting to have doubts about the football season. More so at the collegiate and pro levels, because of the large crowds. I think the season for all levels gets shorten at a minimum.

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

Thanks for the updates PA! I couldn't get the link to play. 

I'm starting to have doubts about the football season. More so at the collegiate and pro levels, because of the large crowds. I think the season for all levels gets shorten at a minimum.

Same

On another note. The new scoreboard sign has been installed,  denoting the same about Lufkin's 2001 State Championship. It looks very good.

20200406_150152.jpg

A great playoff game between FB Marshall and Huntsville in 2018.  From DCTF , a free contributuion from Texan Live.  These are games posted on DCTF to give people a chance to watch some good high school football during the COVID shutdown of sports.   I will try to post a couple more from some higher classifications.  Enjoy!

https://www.texanlive.com/2018/12/huntsville-vs-fort-bend-marshall-7pm-12-7-2018-regional-finals-playoffs-cffcu-stadium/

We have on a DVD but the resolution is not good. Fox Sports SW may have a better quality video. They have come so far in technology since our game in 2001.

MSGPR may have better better quality copy in their library. We'll ask and will let you know.

When we have made it a little further down the road past this social distancing pandemic,  Lee Miller has offered a possible source, for the possibility of a better resolution video of the Lufkin 2001 State Championship game.  We will need to check that source, there are no guarantees. It's been a long time ago now.  For all we know Lufkin ISD may have a great copy in their procession.  If they do, maybe that would be something they might like to share with their fan base for a nominal fee.  

Hope to see much more of this come August, September. October, November and December.   Prove all these college offers on the field. Click the link, it works.

You know this is an obvious athletic transfer to Allen but the UIL will do nothing at all about it.   They go into next year without a proven QB and wallah, two transfer to the school.

The Allen Eagles are a perennial state championship contender, and they will be again in 2020 with the return of top talents like WRs Bryson and Blaine Green. 

There was somewhat of a question mark at quarterback as the Eagles graduated Raylen Sharpe, who accounted for more than 3,300 yards and 36 touchdowns in 2019. 

But a potential weakness may now be a strength heading into 2020. 

Earlier this spring, we learned that Parker Wells (6-foot-2, 180 pounds) had transferred to Allen from Sachse. Weeks completed 67-of-118 (56.8 percent) of his passes for 885 yards and scored 14 total touchdowns for the Mustangs in 2019. 

The eligibility will depend on the Previous Athletic Participation Form (PAPF) and if the previous school checks the "transferred for athletic purposes" box. If that box is checked and the prior school believes Booty moved for athletic purposes then eligibility will be reviewed by the District Executive Committee and a ruling will be made. If a ruling is made that the player is ineligible, the player's family has the right to appeal to the UIL State Executive Committee. 

But that's not all.

The Orange County Record reported on Wednesday that JSerra Catholic quarterback General Booty (6-2, 180) has also transferred to Allen and Booty has updated his social media to reflect the change. 

Booty, who passed for over 1,000 yards and six scores in 2019, is the nephew of former LSU standout John David Booty. Booty played at San Antonio Cornerstone Christian in 2018 and has been offered by Liberty. 

I put my PA thinking cap  on earlier and began to wonder. It's no secret that attendance at Lufkin football games has dwindle over the years for various reasons. How confident will fans be to show up to games if there is no proven medicine or vaccine?

You have to also take into account some people my still be rebounding from a slow economy. Will there be fans willing to spend discretionary income on HS football? Especially if the product is subpar.

All of this is assuming we have a season. I still have my doubts about that. 

20 hours ago, timeout! said:

I put my PA thinking cap  on earlier and began to wonder. It's no secret that attendance at Lufkin football games has dwindle over the years for various reasons. How confident will fans be to show up to games if there is no proven medicine or vaccine?

You have to also take into account some people my still be rebounding from a slow economy. Will there be fans willing to spend discretionary income on HS football? Especially if the product is subpar.

All of this is assuming we have a season. I still have my doubts about that. 

Good points.  I really believe things will be different IF and when society gets back to some kind of normal movement.   As far as football attendance, we will see.  One big change I believe we could see, will be people having their temperature checked when they go into any business, school or venue in the future.    People may be strongly encouraged to stay home if they have a respiratory infection and to not go out in public.  Work places may need to understand.   If students are sick, stay home, school work could be set up online, where the student can be right in the classroom with the other students .  As for Football, if by the far fetched chance they won't allow fans, then maybe UIL might allow a live broadcast of the games where people can see them.  Pay for it with season ticket sales.  I really don't think that occurs.  More later.  There is a lot of coulda involved here.

Personally, I think there will be a season, there will be the added precautions as mentioned previously,  the concessions may be different, the way things are sold by booster clubs at the stadium could be different.  Maybe selling items online and shipping to folks.   Lots of the "hands on" stadium selling situations, we have always been accustom to do for so many years, they could be curtailed or eliminated all together in some way, at least for this year.   Sick folks with respiratory infections could be asked not to attend.    It's going to be different, don't know exactly how.  Just throwing a few thoughts out there.  Still a bunch of could happen stuff.

You then have the band and other groups at a football game.  I have no idea how all this will play out in the future.

As far as the football team.  I think this team will have talent.  There will be about 8 players getting DI college attention by the time the season begins.   There are always holes to fill every year because of graduation.  High school football is where players pass through very quickly, more so than college or Pros.  They should be a pretty good team on paper.  There are so many factors that make a team good other than talent, so we will see how things playout like always. Just not going to say too much here, because we have good talent almost every year and still have too many 1 game playoff runs with this program.

Not going to speak about coaching, I am not qualified to do so.  The Panther coaching staff, along with every other school in Texas will be working from behind leading up to the season.  The UIL has said they will allow all the teams to start practice the 1st week of August and are allowing two scrimmage games, if they so desire.    It also depends on what the UIL or the school decides for the summer off season, weight workouts and training.  There is probably a discrepancy of who will have more work outs than others.  You know there are some teams, somewhere, who have arranged something for their kids to continue working out in a private location.  Texas football is serious stuff for some, so they take their chance. Some teams will be more ahead of the curve early than others, but it will all eventually level out.  A shorter conditioning season and injuries could be a concern.  However, I think Lufkin football will be fine in 2020.

Back to my thoughts on attendance,  I think people will go and watch.  We are a long way off from August, lots could change quickly. The crowd may be a little younger looking??, because some of the older folks may not come out. There may be some social distancing worked out in some way.  Smaller crowds??, maybe limiting the number in attendance??  Frankly, there should be plenty of room at Abe. Thank goodness it will not be up to me or us to decide how all this goes down.  I'm sure the State and UIL will come up with a good plan.    

https://www.kxan.com/news/how-close-is-texas-to-flattening-the-curve/

We should know a bunch more in about a month or so,   hard to say because everything right now is day to day.  The main thing is making sure it is safe to resume school or going back to work, and we weather this virus infection as a Country, the Northeast, West Coast and now New Orleans have bore the brunt of this sickness.  Hopefully a vaccine may available in a few months, so people can breath a sigh relief for the future.  Until then, keep washing those hands, go out and get some Vitamin D sunshine, start taking your Ester C Vitamins to build up your immune system and you should be just fine. Healthy folks practicing good hygiene, have a much less chance to catch this virus.  The experts say 98% of the cases are mild.  Whatever happens?, still looking forward getting sports started again someday. Looking forward to a football season!

On 4/13/2020 at 11:14 PM, PackAttack said:

You know this is an obvious athletic transfer to Allen but the UIL will do nothing at all about it.   They go into next year without a proven QB and wallah, two transfer to the school.

The Allen Eagles are a perennial state championship contender, and they will be again in 2020 with the return of top talents like WRs Bryson and Blaine Green. 

There was somewhat of a question mark at quarterback as the Eagles graduated Raylen Sharpe, who accounted for more than 3,300 yards and 36 touchdowns in 2019. 

But a potential weakness may now be a strength heading into 2020. 

Earlier this spring, we learned that Parker Wells (6-foot-2, 180 pounds) had transferred to Allen from Sachse. Weeks completed 67-of-118 (56.8 percent) of his passes for 885 yards and scored 14 total touchdowns for the Mustangs in 2019. 

The eligibility will depend on the Previous Athletic Participation Form (PAPF) and if the previous school checks the "transferred for athletic purposes" box. If that box is checked and the prior school believes Booty moved for athletic purposes then eligibility will be reviewed by the District Executive Committee and a ruling will be made. If a ruling is made that the player is ineligible, the player's family has the right to appeal to the UIL State Executive Committee. 

But that's not all.

The Orange County Record reported on Wednesday that JSerra Catholic quarterback General Booty (6-2, 180) has also transferred to Allen and Booty has updated his social media to reflect the change. 

Booty, who passed for over 1,000 yards and six scores in 2019, is the nephew of former LSU standout John David Booty. Booty played at San Antonio Cornerstone Christian in 2018 and has been offered by Liberty. 

Im sure they are legit transfers......🤦‍♂️