Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

Wanted to post a little comparative information about our new District 8-5A Division I ,  based on 2019 statistics .  We kind of all know what the rest of 8-5A DI looked like last season, but we have now added New Caney, New Caney Porter and Cleveland for 2020-2021.  Not sure about their strength of districts, so I can't use that information as a true comparison.  Cleveland went 0-10 last year and is moving up from 5A Division II, while the two New Caney Schools, New Caney and New Caney Porter,  moved from 9-5A DI Region III to 8-5A DI Region II. 

New Caney was 10-1 and Porter 9-3 in 2019.  They were in a district with Kingwood Park, Port Arthur Memorial, Goose Creek Memorial, Galena Park, Stephen F. Austin (Houston) and Houston Wisdom.

Cleveland was in District 10-5A Division II with Katy Paetow, A&M Consolidated, Huntsville, Lamar Consolidated, Bryan Rudder, Montgomery and Montgomery Lake Creek.

Here is a comparison of District records and scoring between all the teams that will make up the new 8-5A DI District in 2020-2021. This was the order of their ranking at the end of the year in 5A DI.

Lufkin was 7-0,  scoring 304 pts and allowing 95 

New Caney was 7-0, scored 340 pts and allowing 38 

New Caney Porter was 6-1, scored 233 pts, allowed 76 

Magnolia was 5-2,  scored 245 pts and allowed 156.

College Station was 5-2, scored 290 pts and allowed 169

Magnolia West was 4-3,  scored 237 and allowed 224

Conroe Caney Creek was 1-6, scored 110 pts, allowed 308

Waller was 0-7, scored 152 pts  and allowed 257.

Cleveland was 0-7, scored 95 pts and allowed 395 .

All I ever see these days are Dez workout videos.  Come on man, please go sign and play with someone before you turn 35. Time is running out. 

Just thinking about Jorvorskie Lane, Rex Hadnot, Jamarcus McFarland, James Durham, Alton Dixon, Ralph Thomas, Cam Davis, Zeke Fancher, even Sterling Myers who have contributed back to kids of their Lufkin home town in some form or another,  either as a high school coach or running a summer camp for the local kids, many as a volunteer coaches at times during these camps.   Thinking of a Jeffery Rodgers, Ju Parks and Terrance Parks , probably left out other key names here of some folks, I'm sorry about that. Those who have contributed so much to our 7 on 7 program in the off season over the years.  Those guys have contributed lot of time and most all is volunteer time.  That's not to be negative toward Dez.  It's just a comparison since he has made more $$$ than most all those guys put together.  Just saying, it's a tax write off.

I remember when DEZ came back and had a big BBQ catered and school supplies give a way day at Brandon Park,  2 or 3 years ago, he had a huge turnout that day.  Lots of money spent on BBQ, school supplies and back packs for the kids.  Please help me if you remember another occasion he has been involved with here in Lufkin.  I know he gave Jordan Moore a pair of his old football cleats last year, that was a nice gesture.  He had his Pro Day here and I got to see a bunch of NFL coaches out at Abe Martin.  That was cool.

You don't see Reggie McNeal around here a lot, but I know in the past few years he has worked in the offseason with 2 or 3 of the Lufkin Panther QB's.  Have been told me he worked with Kordell Rodgers, Kewone Thomas and Jordan Moore in the summer.   Don't know about Don Mullbach, if he has had any interaction with the Lufkin program, I'm sure he has, just don't remember it. if anyone is aware of him being involved please post that information.   We are blessed to have so many come back to help our kids and remember where they grew up.

Will Dez be a Cowboy again ?????

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/02/04/realignment-central-presented-by-james-hardie-toughest-districts-from-2020-uil-realignment?ref=home_feature_article

It amazes me that DCTF does not believe 8-5A DI  in 2020 to be a strong district.  IMO adding the two New Caney schools added depth to this district.  Granted, adding 0-10 Cleveland from 5A DII didn't help the calculations much or having an 0-9 Waller team from 2019.    While we are on the Waller team, that is deceptive, because Gene Johnson decided to play his best sophomores and juniors last year over senior seniority.  Waller will be a much better team in 2020,  Cleveland has a new coach starting this year and you can bet it will take some time to rebuild that program.  The Cleveland program has been down for years, participation numbers and other factors have attributed to that issue.  That will not be an easy job for any coach.

Some folks from New Caney say that the district they came from in Region III was not as strong as the 2019 8-5A DI district, I guess we will see on that one, however they have to be at least compatible to Magnolia, Magnolia West and Tomball and much better than Willis IMO.  So the New Caney teams are an upgrade in 2020.

Meh. Dez is too much talk and not enough action for my liking. He’s always been mouth. Most of us know that. His super star days are over with. But he may sign with the cowgirls and have a decent season or two moving forward. I’ve never understood why someone with his success never done much for his “community” he’s talked about so much. Then other times I’m glad, because it’d just be one big publicity stunt with him. 

58 minutes ago, Former Stallion II said:

Wish they would post the schedule. Not like it is rocket science 

They have not given the 2020 schedule to us.

3 hours ago, Former Stallion II said:

Wish they would post the schedule. Not like it is rocket science 

True, but we always do it late sadly. At least we already know the teams i guess...🤷🏽‍♂️ Lol

On 2/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, PackAttack said:

All I ever see these days are Dez workout videos.  Come on man, please go sign and play with someone before you turn 35. Time is running out. 

Just thinking about Jorvorskie Lane, Rex Hadnot, Jamarcus McFarland, James Durham, Alton Dixon, Ralph Thomas, Cam Davis, Zeke Fancher, even Sterling Myers who have contributed back to kids of their Lufkin home town in some form or another,  either as a high school coach or running a summer camp for the local kids, many as a volunteer coaches at times during these camps.   Thinking of a Jeffery Rodgers, Ju Parks and Terrance Parks , probably left out other key names here of some folks, I'm sorry about that. Those who have contributed so much to our 7 on 7 program in the off season over the years.  Those guys have contributed lot of time and most all is volunteer time.  That's not to be negative toward Dez.  It's just a comparison since he has made more $$$ than most all those guys put together.  Just saying, it's a tax write off.

I remember when DEZ came back and had a big BBQ catered and school supplies give a way day at Brandon Park,  2 or 3 years ago, he had a huge turnout that day.  Lots of money spent on BBQ, school supplies and back packs for the kids.  Please help me if you remember another occasion he has been involved with here in Lufkin.  I know he gave Jordan Moore a pair of his old football cleats last year, that was a nice gesture.  He had his Pro Day here and I got to see a bunch of NFL coaches out at Abe Martin.  That was cool.

You don't see Reggie McNeal around here a lot, but I know in the past few years he has worked in the offseason with 2 or 3 of the Lufkin Panther QB's.  Have been told me he worked with Kordell Rodgers, Kewone Thomas and Jordan Moore in the summer.   Don't know about Don Mullbach, if he has had any interaction with the Lufkin program, I'm sure he has, just don't remember it. if anyone is aware of him being involved please post that information.   We are blessed to have so many come back to help our kids and remember where they grew up.

Will Dez be a Cowboy again ?????

I know Dez wasnt really happy with some in the school district. He went off in a facebook post about it the other day. Was frustrated about not being allowed to help out with their class reunion? 

5 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

I know Dez wasnt really happy with some in the school district. He went off in a facebook post about it the other day. Was frustrated about not being allowed to help out with their class reunion? 

He paid for a lot of it. 

4 hours ago, Pack007 said:

He paid for a lot of it. 

His post made it seem like he offered but they said thanks but no thanks

There may be some Texas HS playoff games in 2020 at the Texas Rangers Global Park.

Multiple sources within the Texas Rangers organization and the City of Arlington confirmed to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football this week that both stadiums owned by the baseball club would be available for use during the TXHSFB playoffs in 2020.

Globe Life Field, the new indoor baseball stadium which opens in March, has the ability to be configured to host football games with a capacity of well over 30,000 in a football set up.

Sources indicate the new ballpark will be available to host playoff games during the area playoffs and regional semifinals (Thanksgiving weekend).

The old stadium, Globe Life Park, has been fully converted to a football stadium with seating in the lower bowl for around 20,000. Globe Life Park hosted their first football game on Sunday as the XFL’s Dallas Renegades played their home opener in front of over 17,000 fans.

That facility will be open to hosting games in all rounds but bi-district and of course the state championship round. These two additional large facilities in the middle of the DFW area will likely serve as outstanding neutral site venues for schools of all classifications and will relieve some of the stress that we saw last year with smaller high school venues in DFW being forced to host large playoff games.

Also, don’t be surprised if we see AT&T Stadium still used for one round of the playoffs before the state title games; last year the venue hosted playoff games during the second and third round of the playoffs.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:25 PM, LufkinPack said:

Meh. Dez is too much talk and not enough action for my liking. He’s always been mouth. Most of us know that. His super star days are over with. But he may sign with the cowgirls and have a decent season or two moving forward. I’ve never understood why someone with his success never done much for his “community” he’s talked about so much. Then other times I’m glad, because it’d just be one big publicity stunt with him. 

Absolutely , nothing more than a show off, his prime playing days are long gone.  I know first hand of the things our church did for him when he was in school here. He never came back too just say thanks.....

13 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

Absolutely , nothing more than a show off, his prime playing days are long gone.  I know first hand of the things our church did for him when he was in school here. He never came back too just say thanks.....

So you guys need him to come back and praise your church ? Sounds very Christian like so not surprised. You guys do realize he helps kids in Dallas ? You guys do realize he helped our kids in the Lufkin Jr Panther team. Wonder if you guys will get out and help the Jr Panthers this summer and next year or maybe you guys are all just mouth. 

On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, Chadalac05 said:

He's done more then people think and want to give him credit for. 

I did go with a couple of my friends to the event in Brandon Park.  It was an tremendous outpouring from him.  There were tons of people and kids there that he helped personally and with a truckload of school supplies and back packs for all the kids.  He fed BBQ to everyone,  it was a big deal.   He signed autographs and would take a pictures with anyone who asked him.   

My first memory of Dez was back watching 8th grade football and telling my son, whoever that kid is playing WR is going to be special, some kids have that look and instinct of a ball player and  that skinny kid back in the 8th grade looked the part.  The first time I spoke to him we didn't even know who he was.  My son and I were on the sidelines during a  2004 JV game early in the year and saw him sitting on the bench in street clothes.  Just ask how he was doing, introduced ourselves and that's when we first knew his name.  He was on the bench he said because of his grades and the coaches were not allowing him to play for 3 more weeks until he was passing again.  Later that year, as just a sophomore, he caught a TD in a playoff game against Cedar Park.  The rest we all know.  

1 hour ago, PurpleNation said:

So you guys need him to come back and praise your church ? Sounds very Christian like so not surprised. You guys do realize he helps kids in Dallas ? You guys do realize he helped our kids in the Lufkin Jr Panther team. Wonder if you guys will get out and help the Jr Panthers this summer and next year or maybe you guys are all just mouth. 

I think you don't understand what I said.....I did not say praise, I said  "thanks" gosh you are judging me and you don't ever know me. It's not about what he does or did in Dallas. Lane did something ever year for Lufkin kids after his playing days were over. But it understandable when people start talking about things they don' t have a clue about what went on....man I,m praying for you

On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, Chadalac05 said:

He did and still gave what i was told. But it was a lot of mess and stuff wasn’t organized. Most attended the after party instead of it. 

5 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

I think you don't understand what I said.....I did not say praise, I said  "thanks" gosh you are judging me and you don't ever know me. It's not about what he does or did in Dallas. Lane did something ever year for Lufkin kids after his playing days were over. But it understandable when people start talking about things they don' t have a clue about what went on....man I,m praying for you

So you have a problem with him doing things for kids in Dallas ? That's really pathetic and very Christian of you. 

For the record he has done things for the kids in Lufkin. He just doesn't post it on social media looking for praise. He was really helpful for our Jr Panther organization in raising money. 

4 hours ago, Pack007 said:

He did and still gave what i was told. But it was a lot of mess and stuff wasn’t organized. Most attended the after party instead of it. 

Dez can come off as over the top but his heart is in the right place. He is a good father, husband and donates his time and money to under privileged kids. Doesn't matter if those kids live in Lufkin or not. For the record Roy Gardner is doing a dang good job of taking care of the young Lufkin kids as well. Big Ju has also done a lot. 

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I did go with a couple of my friends to the event in Brandon Park.  It was an tremendous outpouring from him.  There were tons of people and kids there that he helped personally and with a truckload of school supplies and back packs for all the kids.  He fed BBQ to everyone,  it was a big deal.   He signed autographs and would take a pictures with anyone who asked him.   

My first memory of Dez was back watching 8th grade football and telling my son, whoever that kid is playing WR is going to be special, some kids have that look and instinct of a ball player and  that skinny kid back in the 8th grade looked the part.  The first time I spoke to him we didn't even know who he was.  My son and I were on the sidelines during a  2004 JV game early in the year and saw him sitting on the bench in street clothes.  Just ask how he was doing, introduced ourselves and that's when we first knew his name.  He was on the bench he said because of his grades and the coaches were not allowing him to play for 3 more weeks until he was passing again.  Later that year, as just a sophomore, he caught a TD in a playoff game against Cedar Park.  The rest we all know.  

Caught 2 TDs against Cedar Park and caught another 2 against Southlake Carroll. He's came a long way and I am extremely proud of him. Doesn't matter if he plays another down of football.