Sign in to follow this  
PackAttack

2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

22 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Imagine being that talented just to be mediocre in HS thanks to your coaching staff. Poor kids. 

You have a point.  It has happen to different players so many times over the past 14 years.  The exception to the rule was maybe Jorvorskie Lane.  They used him for all he was worth and  then some and still could not get past Southlake. Maybe add JaBryce Taylor from 2012 and  Isaiah Phillips from 2017 to that list.   Still could not get past the 3rd and 4th round.

Going to say this and let it go.  To me, we could have 20 Division I players on the team and we would be fortunate to make the 4th round.  I'm sorry, it makes me feel sad and guilty at the same time to speak in that way.  

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

You have a point.  It has happen to different players so many times over the past 14 years.  The exception to the rule was maybe Jorvorskie Lane.  They used him for all he was worth and  then some and still could not get past Southlake. Maybe add JaBryce Taylor from 2012 and  Isaiah Phillips from 2017 to that list.   Still could not get past the 3rd and 4th round.

Going to say this and let it go.  To me, we could have 20 Division I players on the team and we would be fortunate to make the 4th round.  I'm sorry, it makes me feel sad and guilty at the same time to speak in that way.  

Completely agree. I just have nothing positive to say right now. 

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

You also had Alton Dixon, McKinner Dixon, Leonard Hewitt, EJ Shankle, Ralph Thomas, Rashad Hunt, and if I remember correctly a young Dez Bryant was placed on varsity during the playoffs. Sure I missed some names that contributed. The team they lost too that year was pretty stacked too. I remember SLC being lead by Chase Daniels(qb), McKay Jacobsen(wr), Luna(rb) and they had another Wr that went to state in hurdles. I can't remember his name. Believe his dad had some connection to the Cowboys.

Lufkin may not have the overall numbers as they once had, but certainly enough to have won more than a handful of playoff games. I think about more recent player like KeKe Coutee, McCoy, Bug Thompson, Phillips, Malik Jackson, Carl Williams, etc. We have hardly anything to show for it except a playoff run in 2017. I don't really consider 2012 a playoff run year. I think we made it to be more than what it  really was, because it had been so long since we had did anything. We only won two playoff games that year. No way more accomplished schools would consider that a playoff run. Just the way things are around now. 

1 hour ago, timeout! said:

You also had Alton Dixon, McKinner Dixon, Leonard Hewitt, EJ Shankle, Ralph Thomas, Rashad Hunt, and if I remember correctly a young Dez Bryant was placed on varsity during the playoffs. Sure I missed some names that contributed. The team they lost too that year was pretty stacked too. I remember SLC being lead by Chase Daniels(qb), McKay Jacobsen(wr), Luna(rb) and they had another Wr that went to state in hurdles. I can't remember his name. Believe his dad had some connection to the Cowboys.

Lufkin may not have the overall numbers as they once had, but certainly enough to have won more than a handful of playoff games. I think about more recent player like KeKe Coutee, McCoy, Bug Thompson, Phillips, Malik Jackson, Carl Williams, etc. We have hardly anything to show for it except a playoff run in 2017. I don't really consider 2012 a playoff run year. I think we made it to be more than what it  really was, because it had been so long since we had did anything. We only won two playoff games that year. No way more accomplished schools would consider that a playoff run. Just the way things are around now. 

You solidified my point exactly.  There is a uncertainty about this program right now, only because playoff expectations have fallen short. It seems to extend from the Administration, Coaching , Players and Fans.  It's all connected.  You have an Amin that honestly gave Quick a justified chance to lead the Lufkin football program after Outlaw.  In his eight years, he has made the 3rd round in 2012 and the 4th round in 2017.   The last two seasons, Quick has been undefeated in District 8-5A DI,  District Coach of the year in both 2018 and  2019.  Those type of accomplishments do not hurt ones continued employment and especially when the Admin has been concentrating the past 2-3 years on 75 Million dollars of new bond projects.  Here is the rip,  when you start having unsuccessful playoff runs, your players lose those extra games experiences and also lose the mental knowledge of what it takes to make a  good playoff run.  You see the programs who are the perennial playoff teams in the State are that way for the reasoning I mentioned.   The playoff success is passed on to the next class,  to the next class and so on.  Lufkin did that pretty well between 1998 and 2006, then things fell off.  Finally, the fans?  They are fickle anywhere you go and are only as supportive and enthusiastic in bigger numbers,  base on having more consistent playoff successes,  than the one and one seasons.  In reverse, lack of fans support effects the players, the coaching and the Admin, because you lose valuable  playoff experience for the players and a bunch of lost playoff revenue the Admin could probably use right now.  There is nothing wrong with the program, that more playoff success will not cure moving forward.   If changes are needed to make that happen, then let's start get that ball rolling now.

Before the 2020 Season gets here, Lufkin will have their starting RB Berry,  QB Moore and WR Wright all receiving some kind of Div I scholarship offers.  Let's see what the program does with that in 2020.  Smallwood will have DI offers on the defensive side too.  Again, the tool shed is not bare.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:18 AM, PackAttack said:

Wilburn Smallwood had a great Texas Top 100 camp this weekend.

Hopefully Caleb Berry and Jordan Moore can get into some camps in the off season.  Lots to learn when competing with other great talent in Texas.

Hard time understanding why Jordan Moore is not getting more attention and invites. Maybe because he's in basketball but I doubt it. Coaches should had made sure he was at the Top 100

https://mobile.twitter.com/IM_CP7/status/1219104567239024642

Here is a link if anybody wants to check out my Step son spinning the ball at the Top 100 camp in Dallas on Sunday. Several power 5 QBs were there in attendance. He actually hooked up with a long TD bomb to the Longview freshman WR who they actually happen know each other from playing AAU together. Jalen Hale going to end up being the best WR they have had to come through. 

45 minutes ago, PurpleNation said:

Matt Stepp just posted Longview pre district schedule.

Temple, Marshall, Lufkin, West Monroe. Lufkin and WM are just tenitive and could change.

Just makes no sense at all to play someone that you may see in the playoffs. I know Quick has done that before and it doesn't work out for us. He is just looking for close games that he can intertwine with the MS teams. Quick has never beaten Longview in the playoffs. 

It amazes me how intertwined Stepp is with the Longview program with all this inside information with schedules and district set ups. 

You would hope your coach would do what is best for his program to be the most successful. The fact that Quick can't beat Longview in the playoffs does not do that.

Personally, I think there is a lot waiting to see how the realighnment goes down. If Longview and JT go south, they are going to hate those 8 hour plus round trip drives.  Glad it will be no different  for us. A two hour or so swing down, and the same back to Lufkin.

35 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just makes no sense at all to play someone that you may see in the playoffs. I know Quick has done that before and it doesn't work out for us. He is just looking for close games that he can intertwine with the MS teams. Quick has never beaten Longview in the playoffs. 

It amazes me how intertwined Stepp is with the Longview program with all this inside information with schedules and district set ups. 

You would hope your coach would do what is best for his program to be the most successful. The fact that Quick can't beat Longview in the playoffs does not do that.

Personally, I think there is a lot waiting to see how the realighnment goes down. If Longview and JT go south, they are going to hate those 8 hour plus round trip drives.  Glad it will be no different  for us. A two hour or so swing down, and the same back to Lufkin.

I'm hoping Lufkin can find its way into region 3. So it's looks like we know Longview and Nacogdoches will be our schedule. 

4 hours ago, PurpleNation said:

I'm hoping Lufkin can find its way into region 3. So it's looks like we know Longview and Nacogdoches will be our schedule. 

Quick says playing Longview makes us better.  That has not been proven to be true.  Quick in his 8 years as HC is 2-8 against Longview.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:30 PM, PurpleNation said:

Let’s be real Book, It really doesn’t matter what region we are in. Unless a Reggie or Jorvorskie type is moving up that i haven’t heard about. 

Not sure why some of y’all are looking forward to this season. I can understand if we heard about some significant coaching changes or heck something within the program this offseason, but nothing..

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Let’s be real Book, It really doesn’t matter what region we are in. Unless a Reggie or Jorvorskie type is moving up that i haven’t heard about. 

Not sure why some of y’all are looking forward to this season. I can understand if we heard about some significant coaching changes or heck something within the program this offseason, but nothing..

Not exactly looking forward to the season.  It's just unfathomable to imagine we will do any better with our returning talent, than we have failed to do the past 2 seasons. That is a reasonable thought, because  nothing has been accomplished to prove differently.  Is it coaching?  Player discipline ?  Do we need 10  DI type players to do better ?   Not going to say any of that because, there is always people who dispute those are the problems.  Or, do we not have the talent accumulative we had  15 -18 years ago to compete in 5A DI ???  I don't know.  What I do know,   in the last 14 years,  since 2005 when Lufkin was a 6A Semi Finalist, the Panthers are only  8 -14  in the playoffs.  Fourteen years, just let that sink in a moment.  NINE of those FOURTEEN years have been One and Done seasons.   That is why fewer people looks forward to Panther football.  

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

I think with Region 3 it atleast gives us more winnable games. Shadow Creek is gone to 6A. You got Hutto, Foster and New Caney that can present problems but nothing like Lone Star, Ryan, Highland Park, Lancaster and now Longview. Region 3 would just be easier to navigate if we got a run in us.

Not looking forward to this season at all. I honestly think we will be worse. Depending on where we go come Feb 3rd, I actually have us going 7-3 this year. IF longview is on the schedule. New Caney and college station will beat us. We already know we ain’t beating longview lol... King is just clowning quick at this point. Cut us loose. It does the lobos no good anyways. 

22 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Not exactly looking forward to the season.  It's just unfathomable to imagine we will do any better with our returning talent, than we have failed to do the past 2 seasons. That is a reasonable thought, because  nothing has been accomplished to prove differently.  Is it coaching?  Player discipline ?  Do we need 10  DI type players to do better ?   Not going to say any of that because, there is always people who dispute those are the problems.  Or, do we not have the talent accumulative we had  15 -18 years ago to compete in 5A DI ???  I don't know.  What I do know,   in the last 14 years,  since 2005 when Lufkin was a 6A Semi Finalist, the Panthers are only  8 -14  in the playoffs.  Fourteen years, just let that sink in a moment.  NINE of those FOURTEEN years have been One and Done seasons.   That is why fewer people looks forward to Panther football.  

I don’t care what anyone says.....the main problem is coaching. You can’t blame the players every year we lose in the first round. We have the same type of kids (not really talking about talent in regards to NS) and discipline problems that teams like Longview and North Shore deal with, but you don’t see them making excuses about it. People should be held accountable at the top. That’s the problem 

5 hours ago, Pack007 said:

I don’t care what anyone says.....the main problem is coaching. You can’t blame the players every year we lose in the first round. We have the same type of kids (not really talking about talent in regards to NS) and discipline problems that teams like Longview and North Shore deal with, but you don’t see them making excuses about it. People should be held accountable at the top. That’s the problem 

You CAN say that, and it's okay.  Maybe I don't completely disagree, however hope you know the reason I can't say more.

I know some is on the kids and they screw up too. I’ve said a hundred times Waco and those turnovers were on them a few seasons ago. But 2019....I’m not putting it all on them. 

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

I know some is on the kids and they screw up too. I’ve said a hundred times Waco and those turnovers were on them a few seasons ago. But 2019....I’m not putting it all on them. 

I agree....😉

Congrats to Caleb Berry. He has 2 or 3 -  Div I scholarship visits and offers.  The biggest to date with Nebraska. Photo with RB coach Ryan Held and HC Scott Frost.  Frost is 6'3" -  220 lbs. , Held is 6'2" -210 lbs.   So, I figure Caleb is about 6'1' , 185-190.

Held was a two-time national champion himself as a Husker RB and QB, from 1993 to 1996. Nebraska posted a 47-3 record during Held’s career with three conference titles. At Nebraska, Held was the teammate of QB Scott Frost during the 1995 and 1996 seasons.

Celeb Berry looking like a Husker!  He and Jordan Moore should  be quite a combo next year.

EPLJZ-hXsAEPSba.jpg

On Thursday, the powerlifters travel for a meet at Jasper. Additionally, the JV tennis team goes on the road to play the John Tyler Lions. On Friday and Saturday, the swim team travels to College Station for the regional swim meet at Texas A&M. The top two2 finishers in each event automatically qualify for the state swim meet in two weeks at the University of Texas in Austin. Prelims are Friday, and finals are Saturday. Also on Friday: The varsity tennis team travels to play the Jacksonville Indians. The basketball teams play host to Jacksonville. Game times are the same as Tuesday. The boys soccer teams host John Tyler. JV is at 4:30 p.m., followed by varsity at 6.The girls soccer teams travel to Tyler to play the Lady Lions. JV is at 4 p.m., and varsity is at 6.This Week in LP Sports By Panther Growls.