2020 LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL General Discussion

I figured it would come to this. Lufkin is tied to the hip with the Houston schools. That city is basically on fire right now. I don't see a scenario that allows them to move on with a season. There's just no way to properly have a season under current conditions and guidelines. If someone test positive then those who have come in contact with that person must quarantine. It would be impossible to have a season under those conditions.

You would have several players out at any given time. It's the same thing with schools. What happens when a student/teacher  in college or grade school test positive? Is the whole class to be quarantined for 14 days? Those are questions that have still not been answered. 

The problem is not so much the death rate, but the number of people who get sick and take up hospital beds. Which then affects others who need medical help. I don't have all the answers and glad I'm not in charge of having to do so. Just pray we can get through all of this. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, timeout! said:

I figured it would come to this. Lufkin is tied to the hip with the Houston schools. That city is basically on fire right now. I don't see a scenario that allows them to move on with a season. There's just no way to properly have a season under current conditions and guidelines. If someone test positive then those who have come in contact with that person must quarantine. It would be impossible to have a season under those conditions.

You would have several players out at any given time. It's the same thing with schools. What happens when a student/teacher  in college or grade school test positive? Is the whole class to be quarantined for 14 days? Those are questions that have still not been answered. 

The problem is not so much the death rate, but the number of people who get sick and take up hospital beds. Which then affects others who need medical help. I don't have all the answers and glad I'm not in charge of having to do so. Just pray we can get through all of this. 

Exactly...I hate it, but I’m honestly not expecting the Pack to play this season. It doesn’t matter what Lufkin or other East Texas schools decide. Not even what the schools in the suburbs decide. If the Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas superintendents decide to cancel their seasons, then the season is over. And that’s exactly what i see happening at some point, because it’s going to spread at some schools and we all know players/coaches will test positive for it. It’s already happening at colleges during their summer workouts. Of course it’s going to happen at the high school level. 

Like you said, it’s not just about the death rate. And I definitely don’t see this virus stuff going away anytime soon

On 7/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, PackAttack said:

You know you hit the nail on the head.  With all of the discussion going on, right or left or whatever.  Bottom line,  we just don't know.  The one thing we do know is all people don't have an immunity to this virus, I don't think it's killing many people, but I guess it's the fear of what it has done in some cases and that we don't yet have a vaccine.  That in itself causes big uncertainties because the virus does not hit everyone in the same way. Then again, that's a real fact for most things in  life, nothing occurs with people the same way.  None of us can ever be all  on the same level,  the human genetic makeup just does not make that possible.   Some have natural anti-bodies that protect them from diseases, others do not.  Most people dying with COVID, with a few exceptions,  have had these pre existing health conditions, which COVID seems to capitalize on.  Uncertainties abound and human nature most of the time takes the better safe than sorry road,  especially when they don't understand what they are facing.  Schools do the same thing.  It's like these these spaceship movies, where an alien comes to earth and lands.  The alien comes out of the space craft , hold out his hand to speak and the earth people shoot them down without ever knowing why they came here in the first place.  Happens in almost every movie like that.  The Day the Earth Stood Still is one that come to mind, both the 1951 and 2009 versions. Humans are just naturally fearful of the unknown.  That's our problem.

Sometimes it’s better to be fearful, especially when kids are involved. 

I understand what some are saying and i also want to see the pack play again this season, even with the bad taste that was left in my mouth from what happened at Abe last year. But I just don’t see it. At least not right now. Because nothing has really slowed down. 

I think we all miss sports and I really want to see my tigers defend our title. I also want to see Jordan in his senior season with Caleb on offense. Just can’t see that all happening right now.

Now, the Texas governor is talking about another possible shut down.  There are folks in this State who do not want kids going back to school, they don't want fall sports.  They like the hiding and the disruptions.  Those people also highlight to the extreme COVID cases that are happening.  More testing more cases show up.  More open businesses, more people moving around, equal more cases.  That's the way it works.  That should have been expected, the media acts surprised, it's their way.  Anyone do the math?   Add up all the past and present cases, the deaths that have occurred so far over the past 5 months.  The percentage is still a .0075% chance of getting COVID.  That is a very low number.    

This with people going out everywhere, celebrating Memorial Day and Independence Day, Demonstrating and Protesting,  people and families still traveling and going on vacations and Young folks having large COVID parties for $$$$ , to see who gets sick first.  One of them, a 30 year old,  died Friday from one of those parties.   Why are we surprised or freaking out that there are more cases, we are no longer locked in our homes.  That's why.

News media says the hospitals are full, many hospital employees interviewed say that is not the truth. It's not true in Lufkin.   My hope is they keep doing these tactics because it will backfire in the long run.

There is not going to be any fall football as we know it, it won't start on time , if at all.  They may move fall sports back to October, may move to spring.  That is a whole different set of difficulties to deal with,  a total mess for many HS athletes who will then have to choose what sport they play, or maybe they are not there at all to play football, because they have already headed off to college for spring ball.  The may cancel the whole mess. There is NO guarantee that the COVID cases will drop off by October or Spring. Maybe by Spring, enough people will be exposed so that it will all dwindles down.  No guarantee.  What is the acceptable limit or minimum to allow school to open up?,  do the percentages need to go down to .0000075% , maybe zero cases??   How do we still have millions of flu cases and deaths in this Country even though we have a Flu vaccine available?  Most places give free flu shots too, so it's not a money issue.    Why would a COVID vaccine be any different?, and there are fewer cases of COVID cases and deaths than the regular FLU????   Texas had about 10,890 deaths from the FLU in 2018.    Texas deaths from COVID in 5 months is about 3200 , which puts our present COVID on a pace of  approximately 7700 for the year,  this with with no vaccine available.  

How many people have run around, gone to work, gone to school or a football game with FLU systems?  Even the FLU vaccine doesn't stop the FLU from happening. We don't panic, wear mask, check temperatures at the door, close businesses and isolate entire populations over the flu.   People need to start thinking for themselves, checking the statistics  about all this and stop listening to hyped up news outlets and for people themselves being more responsible than they have been since Memorial Day.  The increase we see today is from Memorial Day outings.  The July 4th increase will happen the middle of August.  Then the Labor Day increase will happen the middle of October.  Perfect timing in certain peoples minds, cause they know Americans are not going to stay inside and stop associating completely.   If you want to be controlled and told how to live over such flimsy statistics, then that is your choice, it is not going to be mine.  I've been around lots of folks without a mask, I shake hands and have moved and travel around freely where allowed since March.  I wear a mask where requested to do so,  keep my hands clean. I have no problem with any of those request.  Other than that, I have not been in isolation.

Idk what to think. I honestly believe it’s exaggerated for obvious political reasons. Which are all stupid imo. But, then again, I understand how dangerous it can be. My family and I, along with many other people we know haven’t been isolated much at all and we’ve been fine so far. I’ve been to 3 different states since early March including The Florida keys in mid-late June. It amazes me that I can do things of that sort and not contract the virus, yet other people can’t walk in a grocery store without getting it. I guess everybody’s body is different. Like the flu. I’m 30 years old and haven’t had the flu since I was 14. My youngest kid gets it about every other year, but me, my wife and other 2 kids never do. Viruses go around. It’s life. Some get it, some do not. You can’t shut the world down. I’m all for following mask orders or whatever they think needs to be done to help. But I’m not for shutting crap down and stopping life. We have to rock on. 

On 7/8/2020 at 7:13 PM, PackAttack said:

Hard for me to even have an opinion, except to say there have already been so many changes and accepted changes to normal procedures.   The first problem I see is the TEA is allowing each school to make separate decisions on this matter.  There should be a direct standard set by the State or TEA.   Personally, it would not matter to me if they attend school in person or are taught online in order to play.  The only hitch in that scenario is they can not practice or play the game together online.  So, if the latter is true, then attending school would be the normal expectation too.  I talked myself right into that answer.

I want to see HS football come about on time and see a full season too.  We all want to get back to something familiar, with a  normal feeling.  That is my hope and preference.  With that said, unless we see the COVID cases continue to drop off in the next 6 weeks,  we are not going to start a football season on time,  maybe an abbreviated schedule or maybe not at all.  What about playing a game every two weeks,  each team on alternating weeks, that would cover the 14 day quarantine, if needed. Crazier things have been proposed.

If there is another jump in cases when all the kids go back to school in August-September, how is that received?  There will be, you knows that's true.   In liberal leaning areas, they will shut the doors quicker than a fat boy running to a cake buffet.

There will be some spiking when the kids get back together.    Do the authorities react like they did in the spring? or continue to function as they are right now?,  only requiring mask, sanitizer and social distancing.   When you think about the scope of all of football from HS to College and PRO, so many variables in difference places, hard to imagine how this will all work especially if several school districts decide to not play in the fall.  The rest will follow like a bunch of lemmings.  School districts live in fear of lawsuits and the feelings of a few disgruntled folks.   The least path of resistance approach.  Better safe than sorry, even if the statistics don't support such a move.

It's already started.  The Ivy league schools cancelled their fall football and sports.  Angelina College cancelled their fall soccer season.  The San Antonio area superintendent has been talking about not playing football since early spring.  He has already set the table.  The Dallas ISD and Houston ISD have swirled the idea around, however they do not have many strong football programs in their districts.  It will be when the suburban districts in those areas start laying down,  that is when the domino fall will begin.

Personally,  I want to see football in the fall.  If they cancel it, there nothing any of us can do.  Just keep on waiting for reasonable minds to stop shaking in their boots.  After December 1st you will be surprised how quick all this goes away.😉

I noticed you interjected a political phase ....liberal leaning areas, conservatives and liberals play sports ....right. This should be all about the safety of the kids., nothing more I think 

We all that's going on ,I think we just need too keep any political  opinion too ourselves. I don't know how many here have Med Degrees ...mind is not so I tend too leave it too the experts. This is a football forum and I would love too see football this fall but I don't think I will be coming too Abe, I will listen too big Nasty this year....But what I do read is this is nothing like the flu because of the lasting effects yet too be determinded from covid-19. We see enough politics on tv,so lets leave it there. 

3 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

We all that's going on ,I think we just need too keep any political  opinion too ourselves. I don't know how many here have Med Degrees ...mind is not so I tend too leave it too the experts. This is a football forum and I would love too see football this fall but I don't think I will be coming too Abe, I will listen too big Nasty this year....But what I do read is this is nothing like the flu because of the lasting effects yet too be determinded from covid-19. We see enough politics on tv,so lets leave it there. 

Not being political, thus the short mild left leaning reference, which is true.   Those areas have taken a much more let's shut it down approach, than areas more right leaning.  It's an obvious divide that is noticeable to any average person out there.  Yes, this site is about Lufkin Panther football, this is what I mostly want to talk about  here and I have been clear that I don't know where this virus situation all goes.  What I have expressed is mostly information and thoughts from the David Campbell's Texas Football group.  They seem to have a pulse on the way things are going right now.  What coaches are thinking and so on.  In fact this week they expressed that the winds to play and start on time,  were blowing in the wrong direction currently.  

They are not medical folks, neither am I and you know there are a bunch of different stories out there.  Sometimes, I think it best not to listen to any of it and use your own common sense for the environment each of us are living, because everything could totally change tomorrow.  This COVID is not a right or left disease, it does not distinguish between whatever beliefs anyone may have.  Most cases are mild, but the people who get the deadly form of it, never forget it. If they survive, they are left with other problems.

Everyone keep an eye out for what is going on.  As much as I want football and kids back in school, safety for all and getting our lives back to normal is more important.  Go Pack!!

I think those outlets picked up on it because it's coming form Texas. People know how passionate Texas is about football. So if it's in doubt here then there's a good chance schools in other places may follow. Again he was just given an opinion that many experts would agree with, have we not seen other sports shut down at various levels? 

Not sure what the guys salary,  job benefits or being caught up in corruption has to do with him giving his opinion. Certainly not condoning anything he may be guilty of. We have corrupt people in leadership positions that are tasked with making decisions and giving recommendations every day in this country. So I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that having any bearing on whether or not we should listen to him on this particular issue. I don't think he is saying anything many superintendents are not already thinking.

Ugh...I don’t want to go back and forth on this subject. This is a football forum. However, when people come on here saying stuff they don’t know anything about it rubs me the wrong way. The media isn’t always truthful and certain networks have been proven to be biased in regards to politics.......I think we all know this. That still doesn’t change the fact that this virus is very serious.

If you have ever seen someone with it or have known someone that had died from it, you would know exactly how serious it is. Not sure who told you the Lufkin hospitals aren’t full, because the units with the covid patients at the one I’m familiar with are always full. Always. So that’s definitely not the case at that facility. 

I Think for myself and don’t just get my info from news outlets....or fb and some of these political nuts around town. I’ve seen how this stuff works and if the doctors i know and trust with several years of experience, including my sister tell me this is far worse than the flu....then that’s what i will believe. I don’t need a million people dying a day to tell me how bad this stuff is. I’ve seen it and i actually get info from credible people that have to deal with it every day. Everything isn’t fake news or just about politics. That’s all I’m saying. 

6 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Ugh...I don’t want to go back and forth on this subject. This is a football forum. However, when people come on here saying stuff they don’t know anything about it rubs me the wrong way. The media isn’t always truthful and certain networks have been proven to be biased in regards to politics.......I think we all know this. That still doesn’t change the fact that this virus is very serious.

If you have ever seen someone with it or have known someone that had died from it, you would know exactly how serious it is. Not sure who told you the Lufkin hospitals aren’t full, because the units with the covid patients at the one I’m familiar with are always full. Always. So that’s definitely not the case at that facility. 

I Think for myself and don’t just get my info from news outlets....or fb and some of these political nuts around town. I’ve seen how this stuff works and if the doctors i know and trust with several years of experience, including my sister tell me this is far worse than the flu....then that’s what i will believe. I don’t need a million people dying a day to tell me how bad this stuff is. I’ve seen it and i actually get info from credible people that have to deal with it every day. Everything isn’t fake news or just about politics. That’s all I’m saying. 

Letts play football!

Personally, I am at the point of if we have football fine, if the start of the season is delayed or moved to the spring, fine.  If it is cancelled altogether, fine.  I don't make that decision, I can find something else to do with my time, like I have been doing the past 5 months.

I'm so frustrated with the whole mess that has been happening with COVID and all the disruptions it has caused throughout the Country.  I will continue to attempt in keeping everyone informed about Lufkin Panther football the best way possible,  and maybe what the  State, UIL or Lufkin ISD is deciding to do through their statements.  That is all I'm going to do. I will delete my comment on the DISD, it has no bearing on anything.

Right now, everything is out of our hands, it pisses me off, but that's just the way it is right now. 

Don't care one way or another what all the "powers that be" decide to do.  I don't like how the system works, but there's nothing any of us can do about any of it.  

Sorry if I offended anyone, we'll leave it at that and move on with whatever is happening with Lufkin Panther Football.

CalmAgitatedKrill-max-1mb.gif

Now,  I have it out of my system.

Local teams ranked in East Texas poll by Brandon Ogden - Tyler Morning Telegraph

Longview ended their 2018 season playing for a state title at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

After earlier than expected playoff exits in 2019, the Lobos  enter 2020 hoping to return to championship weekend at the home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Longview tops the Class 6A/5A/4A portion of the #bEASTTexas Fabulous 15 preseason poll, while Malakoff leads the way in the Class 3A/2A/TAPPS poll.

The Lobos, coming off of an 11-1 campaign, received nine first-place votes and 204 points.

Longview is followed in the big-school poll by defending Class 4A Division I champion Carthage. The Bulldogs received five first-place votes and earned 192 points.

Rounding out the top five are Pleasant Grove (174 points), Lufkin (173 points) and Gilmer (136 points).

John Tyler is just outside of the top five and is followed by Marshall and Tyler Lee.

Pine Tree is the only team in the 2020 preseason top 15 for Class 6A/5A/4A that didn’t finish the 2019 regular season in the top 15.

Voters in the poll were Jack Stallard, Hayden Henry and George Whitley of the Longview News-Journal, Phil Hicks and Brandon Ogden of the Tyler Morning Telegraph, J. Scott Russell of the Panola Watchman, Nathan Hague of the Marshall News Messenger, John Krueger of the Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, Josh Havard of The Lufkin Daily News, Mitch Lucas of the Kilgore News Herald, Juwan Lee of the Palestine Herald-Press, Jay Neal of the Jacksonville Progress, Reagan Roy of CBS 19 and Harlen the Sports Guy of the Friday Night Scoreboard Show.

CLASS 6A/5A/4A

Team Points 2019 Record 2019 Finish

1. Longview (9) 204 11-1 1

2. Carthage (5) 192 16-0 2

3. Pleasant Grove 174 15-1 4

4. Lufkin 173 9-2 3

5. Gilmer 136 10-4 6

6. John Tyler 121 3-8 13

7. Marshall 99 7-4 7

8. Tyler Lee 93 6-5 9

9. Texas High 88 7-5 14

10. Whitehouse 61 8-4 10

11. Lindale 60 7-4 11

12. Kilgore 55 5-6 15

13. Henderson 50 7-4 8

14. Pine Tree 33 5-6 NR

15. Van 32 6-4 12

Others receiving votes: Jasper 28; Paris 27; Palestine 10; Crandall 10; Mabank 9; Center 8; Athens 7; Pittsburg 5; Nacogdoches 4; Spring Hill 1.

****   If you notice, Longview gets THREE votes in this poll.  LDN's Josh Havard is the lone voter from  Lufkin. 😉

Each day I wake up and wish this virus would disappear like the Spanish flu. 

I think LP will be really good this year if they get to play. 

Go Pack 

22 minutes ago, pack98 said:

PA,

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29454756/nfl-unveils-oakley-mouth-shield-combat-coronavirus

A bit of protection not sure of the high schools can get them or afford them. 

Thanks, this is a great idea.  Wonder what would be supply availability be for all the teams out there between now and August?  Affordability for some schools would be another question.  I'm sure other companies will follow suit with a similar type product, quality control and warranties?   This could be a cost the Lufkin Sideliner's Boosters could assist purchasing for the Panthers..

2 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Thanks, this is a great idea.  Wonder what would be supply availability be for all the teams out there between now and August?  Affordability for some schools would be another question.  I'm sure other companies will follow suit with a similar type product, quality control and warranties?   This could be a cost the Lufkin Sideliner's Boosters could assist purchasing for the Panthers..

I imagine others will follow with designes maybe not in time  for this year but next year unless we get a vaccine or it goes away. Like the idea and anything we can do to make things a bit safer I am all for and hopefully the schools can get them for a reasonable price. 

After the 2020 UIL Realignment, what are the strongest districts in 5A Div I  Texas high school football?

CLASS 5A DIVISION I

RANK DISTRICT TEAMS (2019 RECORD)
1 4-5A DI Burleson Centennial (10-2), Colleyville Heritage (9-5), Fort Worth Richland (4-7), Mansfield Legacy (4-7), Mansfield Summit (7-4), Midlothian (8-3), N. Richland Hills Birdville (9-4), Red Oak (11-2)
2 7-5A DI Highland Park (11-2), Longview (11-1), McKinney North (10-2), Sherman (6-4), Tyler John Tyler (3-8), West Mesquite (2-8), Wylie East (2-8)
3 5-5A DI Denton (4-6), Denton Ryan (15-1), Frisco Centennial (2-8), Frisco Heritage (4-6), Frisco Independence (10-3), Frisco Lone Star (14-1), Frisco Reedy (6-5), Frisco Wakeland (5-6), The Colony (8-3)
4 11-5A DI Austin Anderson (6-4), Cedar Park (11-2), Georgetown (8-4), Leander (0-10), Manor (8-6), Pflugerville (2-8), Pflugerville Hendrickson (4-6), Pflugerville Weiss (9-3)
5 3-5A DI Abilene Cooper (11-2), Azle (10-2), Crowley (9-2), Fort Worth Brewer (2-8), FW Arlington Heights (2-8), Granbury (6-5), Justin Northwest (6-5), Saginaw (7-4)
6 2-5A DI Amarillo (9-3), Amarillo Caprock (2-8), Amarillo Palo Duro (3-7), Amarillo Tascosa (10-4), Lubbock (1-9), Lubbock Coronado (7-5), Lubbock Monterey (6-6)
7 8-5A DI Cleveland (0-10), College Station (8-4), Conroe Caney Creek (2-8), Lufkin (9-2), Magnolia (8-4), Magnolia West (5-6), New Caney (10-1), New Caney Porter (9-3), Waller (0-9)
8 9-5A DI Baytown Goose Creek Mem (3-7), Baytown Lee (5-5), Baytown Sterling (1-9), Beaumont United (5-5), Friendswood (9-3), Galveston Ball (3-7), La Porte (4-6), Port Arthur Memorial (5-6)
9 10-5A DI Angleton (6-3), Fort Bend Hightower (6-5), Fort Bend Kempner (5-5), Houston Milby (4-6), Houston Wisdom (0-10), Katy Paetow (8-3), Manvel (13-1), Richmond Foster (8-5), Rosenberg Terry (2-8)
10 15-5A DI CC Flour Bluff (8-4), CC Veterans Memorial (10-4), Corpus Christi Carroll (0-10), Corpus Christi King (2-8), Corpus Christi Moody (4-6), Corpus Christi Ray (2-8), Gregory-Portland (6-4), Victoria East (5-5), Victoria West (7-5)
11 16-5A DI Brownsville Lopez (2-8), Brownsville Pace (6-5), Brownsville Porter (5-5), Brownsville Veterans Mem (7-3), Donna (3-7), La Joya Palmview (7-4), McAllen (3-7), McAllen Memorial (10-2), McAllen Rowe (7-5), Weslaco East (9-4)
12 12-5A DI Buda Johnson (6-3), Dripping Springs (9-2), Kyle Lehman (1-9), New Braunfels Canyon (0-10), SA Veterans Memorial (9-3), San Antonio Harlandale (5-5), San Antonio McCollum (0-10), Seguin (5-6)
13 14-5A DI Eagle Pass Winn (3-7), Laredo Cigarroa (1-9), Laredo Martin (6-5), Rio Grande City (9-2), SA Southwest Legacy (6-4), San Antonio Southside (7-4), San Antonio Southwest (6-6)
14 1-5A DI El Paso Bel Air (3-7), El Paso Chapin (2-9), El Paso Del Valle (5-6), El Paso El Dorado (1-9)
15 6-5A DI Carrollton Smith (1-9), Carrollton Turner (0-10), Dallas Adams (3-7), Dallas Molina (1-9), Dallas Samuell (2-8), Dallas Sunset (0-10), Dallas White (4-6), Dallas Wilson (3-7), Lancaster (11-3)
16 13-5A DI San Antonio Brackenridge (7-4), San Antonio Burbank (6-5), San Antonio Edison (1-9), San Antonio Highlands (1-9), San Antonio Jefferson (3-7), San Antonio Kennedy (0-10), San Antonio Lanier (4-6), San Antonio Memorial (2-8), San Antonio Sam Houston (3-7)
5 hours ago, pack98 said:

I imagine others will follow with designes maybe not in time  for this year but next year unless we get a vaccine or it goes away. Like the idea and anything we can do to make things a bit safer I am all for and hopefully the schools can get them for a reasonable price. 

Another option:

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/schutt-introduces-revolutionary-full-face-visor-for-pandemic-football-era/

2020 Class 5A Division 1 Dist. 8  Team Schedules

5A - 8   Cleveland  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  at Fulshear (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  vs Houston North Forest (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  at Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  vs Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  at Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  vs New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/9  at New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/16  vs College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/23  at Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  Open      
11/6  vs Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   College Station (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  vs Hutto (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/5  at Fort Bend Bush (0-0)   (0-0) 6:00 PM
9/11  at Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  vs New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  at New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  Open      
10/9  vs Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/16  at Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/23  vs Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  at Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  vs Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   Conroe Caney Creek  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  vs Pasadena (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  at Galena Park (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  Open      
9/18  vs Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  at Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  vs Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/8  at New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/15  vs New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/23  at College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  vs Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  at Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   Lufkin  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  at Tyler Lee (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
9/4  vs Nacogdoches (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  at Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  vs Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  at New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  vs New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/9  at College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/16  Open      
10/23  vs Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  at Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  vs Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   Magnolia  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  vs Katy Tompkins (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  vs Brenham (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  vs College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  at Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  vs Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  at Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/9  vs Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/16  at Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/23  Open      
10/30  vs New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  at New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   Magnolia West (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  at Brenham (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  vs Temple (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  vs Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  at Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  vs Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  at Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/9  Open      
10/16  vs Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/23  at New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  vs New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  at College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   New Caney  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  vs Marshall (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  at Humble Kingwood Park (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  at New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  Open      
9/25  vs College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  at Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/9  vs Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/15  at Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/22  vs Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  at Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  vs Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   New Caney Porter (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  at Montgomery (0-0)   (0-0) 7:30 PM
9/4  vs Montgomery Lake Creek (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  vs New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  at College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  vs Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/2  at Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/8  vs Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/16  at Waller (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/23  vs Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  at Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  Open      
PF (0) PA (0)

5A - 8   Waller  (0-0)(0-0) Score Time
8/28  at Bryan (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/4  vs Aldine (0-0)   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/11  vs Cleveland (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/18  at Conroe Caney Creek (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
9/25  Open      
10/2  vs Magnolia West (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/9  at Magnolia (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/16  vs New Caney Porter (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/22  at New Caney (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
10/30  vs College Station (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
11/6  at Lufkin (0-0)*   (0-0) 7:00 PM
PF (0) PA (0)

NJCAA moving fall sports schedule to spring

The National Junior Collegiate Athletic Association voted on Monday afternoon to move the fall sports schedule to the spring.

The move affected football, volleyball, soccer and the beginning of the men’s and women’s basketball seasons.

Angelina College will now open its basketball practices on Jan. 11 before playing the season from Jan. 29-March 27.

Teams will be limited to a maximum of a 21-game regular season with the conference tournament to follow before championship play begins on April 19.

The Roadrunners won last season’s conference tournament to receive the automatic bid for the national tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas, before it was canceled shortly after due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It was the second straight season an AC basketball team had qualified for the tournament after the women competed in the national tournament in Lubbock in 2019.

The teams, led by head coaches Nick Wade and Byron Coleman, will aim to duplicate those feats in an abbreviated season. In previous years, the season would start in early November before ending in early March.

AC had previously made the decision to suspend its soccer seasons until the fall of 2021, although the NJCAA soccer season will be played in the spring of 2021.

AC’s 2021 baseball and softball seasons are set to be played as originally scheduled.

In addition to those sports, the junior college football season will begin on March 25 instead of the regular fall season.

“Our greatest focus is and always has been providing the best opportunities for our student-athletes,” Christopher Parker, NJCAA president and CEO said in a statement. “Through a unified effort from our Presidential Advisory Council, the Board of Regents, and leadership staff, our most recent plan of action provides a path that keeps our student-athletes competing at the highest level with proper safety measures in place. As we move forward as an association, we will continue to provide opportunities for our student-athletes, coaches, and all those involved with the NJCAA to be safe and successful.”

Josh Havard's email address is

josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

image.png

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

PA,

That  will work as well. I really hope more sports can play to help ease the minds of this world we are living in for a  few hours at least.