PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

Just now, Packfan49 said:

I agree, we are going too get beat real soon ,playing like this.Just got plain lucky in the end

Probably next week. But even if we win, who cares. It’s clear this team isn’t making any kind of playoff run. I think we’re getting worse lol 

Just now, LufkinPack said:

Probably next week. But even if we win, who cares. It’s clear this team isn’t making any kind of playoff run. I think we’re getting worse lol 

My thoughts as well ,this team isn't going anywhere in the play-offs. No O-line ,no running game..and no PATs ...lol

Just now, Packfan49 said:

My thoughts as well ,this team isn't going anywhere in the play-offs. No O-line ,no running game..and no PATs ...lol

The offense in general. Jordan has no time to throw. He has to create time. Then it seems like when he actually has time, he over throws the receivers. Just a mess. Too basic. Makes it easy for defenses to scheme against. I know about 7 teams that would’ve beat us 56-0 tonight 

Sometimes you take the ugly win on the road and get home and that’s what they did tonight. It was a close game last year as well they just may be one of those teams regardless that plays the Pack hard.  From the sound of it they need to work on new plays find more creative ways to get the ball out faster more screens, Jet Sweeps designed rollouts to move the pocket and find  more ways to get more  time. The have to do something otherwise it may be a short playoff run.  

Go Pack 

5 minutes ago, pack98 said:

Sometimes you take the ugly win on the road and get home and that’s what they did tonight. It was a close game last year as well they just may be one of those teams regardless that plays the Pack hard.  From the sound of it they need to work on new plays find more creative ways to get the ball out faster more screens, Jet Sweeps designed rollouts to move the pocket and find  more ways to get more  time. The have to do something otherwise it may be a short playoff run.  

Go Pack 

Y’all know dam well we aren’t gonna do anything different. 18 years and counting 😂

Pack Survives Magnolia by Josh Havard/Lufkin Daily News

MAGNOLIA – The Magnolia Bulldogs waited a full year to get retribution for a heartbreaking loss in Lufkin. The Panthers’ standout safety Jerrin Thompson decided it would be a repeat instead.

After the Bulldogs spent the second half imposing their will on the Lufkin defense, Thompson picked the perfect time to come up with the game-changing play as his interception in the final minutes turned away Magnolia, and the Panthers escaped with a 24-18 victory in a District 8-5A DI clash Friday night.

The game-saving interception came a year after Thompson blocked a punt that gave Lufkin a 41-34 win over Magnolia. In a second half that matched the wildness of that game, it was the Texas-bound star who worked his magic again.

With Magnolia trailing by three points and driving for a potential winning score, Thompson stepped in front of a Travis Moore pass and returned it to the Bulldogs 10. That proved to be the difference in a nailbiting win.

“He’s the type of player who makes plays like that,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “They had run the same exact set two other times in the same down and distance. He was heady enough to read that and put himself in the perfect position to make that play.”

From there, Lufkin kicked a field goal, and the defense turned away a last-ditch effort to move to 2-0.

In a tale of two halves, the Lufkin defense dominated the first half while the offense carried the load after the break.

However, Lufkin made just enough plays on both sides of the ball in the final minute to come away with the victory.

“We needed that,” Quick said. “That was a dogfight out there. We got better as a football team tonight. That’s what happens when you have to fight a full four quarters.”

While Lufkin’s defense made the plays down the stretch, the Lufkin offense put up another big passing night.

Jordan Moore surpassed 300 yards for the second straight week, finishing with 335 yards and two touchdowns on 25-of-39 passing.

Ja’Lynn Polk had 8 catches for 146 yards, and Christian Reggie had 12 catches for 94 yards and a touchdown. Kelton Wright added four receptions for 94 yards and a score.

Mitch Hall led Magnolia with 181 yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries. That came after he was held to 17 yards on 6 carries in the first half. Moore threw for 98 yards on 7-of-16 passing, while Renfro had 6 receptions for 93 yards.

“We had people fighting their tails off out there tonight,” Quick said. “I was very proud of the kids this week.”

Lufkin spent the first half seemingly on the verge of putting the game away early only to be turned away each time.

The Panthers took the opening drive 59 yards on 13 plays, advancing into the red zone before settling for a Caleb Encarnacion season-long 38-yard field goal that made it 3-0.

On the following drive, Moore hit Polk for a nice 40-yard run and catch that once again put Lufkin deep inside Bulldogs’ territory. However, a 12-play, 87-yard drive ended in another Encarnacion field goal, this time from 25 yards, making the score 6-0 in the final minute of the first quarter.

Lufkin’s offense stalled throughout most of the second quarter with Magnolia’s Jarrett Pleasant intercepting a pass near midfield before the half.

However, the Panthers recorded one final sack on the last play of the second quarter to preserve the 6-0 lead.

In the opening half, Lufkin held Magnolia to a total of 35 yards on 16 plays. That included a trio of three and outs and only one drive that went for three first downs before stalling just inside Panther territory.

Lufkin put up 215 yards in the first half but was hurt by missing out on a pair of red zone opportunities as well as the final interception just before halftime.

In the first half, Moore threw for 153 yards on 13-of-25 passing, Polk caught five passes for 97 yards and Christian Reggie had six receptions for 48 yards.

The second half was a much different story.

Magnolia’s offense didn’t take long to get going as a 28-yard strike from Moore to Renfro set up a 19-yard touchdown run by Mitch Hall. The extra point missed wide right, leaving the score tied at 6-6 with 9:13 left in the third quarter.

That score woke up the Lufkin offense as Polk hauled in a spectacular 32-yard pass on third and 15. That helped set up a 29-yard touchdown pass in which Reggie took a short pass and weaved around the Magnolia defense. The extra point was blocked, leaving Lufkin’s lead at 12-6 with 6:42 left in the third quarter.

Magnolia turned to its power running game once again on the following drive with the Bulldogs keeping it on the ground for all 75 yards on a 9-play drive that ended in a Cedric Harris 3-yard touchdown. Lufkin blocked the extra point, leaving the score at 12-12 with 2:56 left in the third quarter.

Lufkin answered on the following drive with Encarnacion booting a 33-yard field goal that put Lufkin back in the lead at 15-12 with 8:58 left in the game.

Magnolia’s offense continued to steamroll through Lufkin’s defense as Hall scored on a 15-yard run but a two-point conversion failed, leaving the score at 18-15.

It took Lufkin only one offensive play to answer as Moore hit an open Kelton Wright, who sprinted 68 yards for a score, but the extra point was off the mark, leaving Lufkin with a 21-18 lead with 5:11 left.

Lufkin’s defense finally got the stop it was looking for on the following possession as Thompson picked off a pass and returned it to the Magnolia 10.

The Panthers left the door open for Magnolia as it settled for a 23-yard Encarnacion field goal that made it 24-18.

From there, Magnolia drove the ball near midfield before a deep fourth-down pass fell incomplete, allowing Lufkin to run out the clock and finally secure the win.

The Panthers (4-1, 2-0) will return to action on Friday when they host College Station. Magnolia fell to 3-2 on the season and 1-1 in district with the loss.

Josh Havard’s email address is josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

You need to read the article carefully because both QBs were named Moore.  Lufkin's Jordan Moore and Magnolia's Travis Moore.  So just saying Moore and Moore can get confusing.

Not going to say too much about this game.  It was hard fought, Magnolia came to play, they are pretty good team.  Which means Shadow Creek must be a juggernaut.

Lufkin stopped themselves too many times tonight,  the offense was better but still had issues running the ball and had several instances that the WR and QB were not on the same page.   The Lufkin D again kept us in the game and eventually caught their second wind and provided the stops late to win the game.  I think our FG kicker had an outstanding night, it is really nice to see he can make those pressure kicks.   Still,  our offense is not always in sync  and  the kids on the OL need to keep plugging away until things start to click and I think they will.  Lufkin has way too much skilled talent to think things won't get better.   

Magnolia gave us their best shot, they have a huge OL with 3 guys who are committed DI material.  They blitzed the house just like Willis did, it is something we will see next week too, so I guess we need to get things better before next Friday.

Lufkin is a better team than they played tonight,  Magnolia wanted this game, it was on their home turf.  We were fortunate to win, so let's be thankful and move on to College Station.  It is going to be another nail bitter at ABE next week.

It was an ugly win. Very disappointed in this team, but again....they got the win. Proud of that. But...

I really thought at least we had a very good defense, but a small and average running back ran all over them tonight. Then again, he was the district leading rusher. So maybe I'm not giving him that much credit. But we missed a lot of tackles on him on those three drives in the second half. Maybe having Ingram and Garcia out hurt us. Who knows? Not sure why Terry didn't play at all in the second half either when he had some good tackles at LB in the first half. What worried me is that when Magnolia was running it down our throat with basically the same two plays, we didn't really adjust to it. And I understand it's not all on coaching, the players were getting whipped on the dline and the rest were either missing tackles or just wasn't there when he took it for a long distance. Honestly....Just surprised at the defense. I expected more. From the staff and players. 

Offensively.....same problems as last week. Oline just isn't good. They had two new players in there and still couldn't do much. They did open up a few holes for Caleb, but that was it. It was mostly effort like expected by him. Then they took #77 out and they still couldn't do much. It's just...….bad. The sad part is Green really didn't change much. There were a few more short passes to replace some of the runs, but that's basically it. Everything is too slow developing when we run too. The lineman were pulling.....very slowly and at least two players for Magnolia were right there waiting on Caleb. The option did kinda work once, But that was it. Can't lie.....our Qb was off too early on. I'm shocked he threw for over 300 after looking at those stats. I like him, but some of those passes I was scared was going the other way for a TD. Some of those throws wasn't because of pressure either. I don't know what's going on and honestly it's too late to fix it. One positive thing tonight was that we made some field goals I guess. That's one thing at least, but we gotta do a better job of blocking for the extra points. Got a few blocked. 

This game and season has been crazy, but we're 4-1....

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Not going to say too much about this game.  It was hard fought, Magnolia came to play, they are pretty good team.  Which means Shadow Creek must be a juggernaut.

Lufkin stopped themselves too many times tonight,  the offense was better but still had issues running the ball and had several instances that the WR and QB were not on the same page.   The Lufkin D again kept us in the game and eventually caught their second wind and provided the stops late to win the game.  I think our FG kicker had an outstanding night, it is really nice to see he can make those pressure kicks.   Still,  our offense is not always in sync  and  the kids on the OL need to keep plugging away until things start to click and I think they will.  Lufkin has way too much skilled talent to think things won't get better.   

Magnolia gave us their best shot, they have a huge OL with 3 guys who are committed DI material.  They blitzed the house just like Willis did, it is something we will see next week too, so I guess we need to get things better before next Friday.

Lufkin is a better team than they played tonight,  Magnolia wanted this game, it was on their home turf.  We were fortunate to win, so let's be thankful and move on to College Station.  It is going to be another nail bitter at ABE next week.

Maybe I’m not giving enough credit to the Magnolia oline. Just disappointed in this season and thinking about the issues with our oline on the drive back didn’t help. 

I still think we beat CS. Just don’t understand this Pack team. They have the talent and size. Smdh 

We should give credit when its do and reserve it when it isn't. This game is not about what magnolia could do. We failed in grand fashion!!!! They should not compete with us at all.  Talent alone should be enough to walk them. WE ARE JUST NOT THAT GOOD! Offensively we are bad! We have good play makers wide with a bad oline and a QB who cant play to a high level because he is being assaulted all game! I think we are also starting to see a defense who cannot prop up a team who is inept offensively! Only thing i can hang my hat on is that we currently look like a team we would find a way to lose to in the playoffs. So maybe that cancels itself out and we make a run! I wont hold my breath!

6 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Shadow Creek is a good team. But they were only up 7-0 at half on a bad Texas city team last night. They played better in the 2nd half and won 34-0. But, my point is that magnolia isn’t that good. SC beating them 49-0 doesn’t make them a juggernaut. It just means they put down a team that was significantly worse than them. They are much more talented and it showed. We are too, difference is, we can’t show it. Lack of execution and vanilla play calling.  I’m not gonna convince myself that we struggled with them because they’re a good football team. Are they complete garbage? No absolutely not. But Lufkin has no business struggling with teams of that nature if we’re a top contender. We would’ve got embarrassed by any top team the last two weeks. Which means that pretty much who we are. I’m already ready for a new season. Maybe we have better linemen coming up. I’m also not impressed with Jordan this year. It’s not all his fault because he has zero Time to throw the ball and the play calls are all weak. Same stupid 5 yard slants and bubble screens. We start this season out with a trick play to get going on Longview and it’s been back to the same ol crap since. Why not try a trick play of some sort last night against a weak defense to maybe get the offense rolling? We have too much speed to not try something. Beats the crapshow we’ve been watching for 12 years. Idk. We’re not all that good. We’re also not going to make a playoff run. It is what it is. 

5 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

We should give credit when its do and reserve it when it isn't. This game is not about what magnolia could do. We failed in grand fashion!!!! They should not compete with us at all.  Talent alone should be enough to walk them. WE ARE JUST NOT THAT GOOD! Offensively we are bad! We have good play makers wide with a bad oline and a QB who cant play to a high level because he is being assaulted all game! I think we are also starting to see a defense who cannot prop up a team who is inept offensively! Only thing i can hang my hat on is that we currently look like a team we would find a way to lose to in the playoffs. So maybe that cancels itself out and we make a run! I wont hold my breath!

The all caps quote is just a plain fact ,and though some may not want too admit …..it's true" we just are not"

Hmmmmm....  some dagger opinions.  Several things have happen this year that are both something new, head scratching and some we already know.

First, I can never remember in my whole life where a team, any team held Lufkin to only 39 yards rushing like a terrible Willis team did.  Folks, Willis is NOT a good team.

Second, can't think of the last time our offense bogged down so many times inside the 30 and had to settle for 4 FG in a game. Don't even remember Lufkin ever kicking 4 FG in a game.  Also happy to see Encarnacion make those kicks because before last night I didn't have much confidence in that part of the game.  The Magnolia D is not great, their secondary was slower than us, but our OL play made their front 7 look real good, just like Willis.  Notice I said Willis and Magnolia, neither known for their football prowess in Texas High School football.  We kept throwing bubble screens all night because the bubble screens became our main running game.   The Vanilla play calling was because their is no trust in the offensive line.  We have a big offensive line,  but they are slow and not very athletic. Sorry, that's just the truth.  Everything last night had to be a quick throw or Jordan was running for his life.  We are in trouble offensively the rest of the year  if we don't get that line play fixed because everything we do with our skilled guys revolves around the OL being functional.  

Regardless what you guys say, Magnolia is a little better than average team, but I think they are Lufkin's  kryptonite based on the last two years results.  That RB they have is fast, the kid leads the district in rushing, they have 3 OL guys going to major D1 colleges.  

Our last two opponents DC have evidently done a decent job with their defensive game plans against Lufkin.  These new coaches in this district have been part of building great programs in Texas like Lake Travis, Cy Ranch, Temple and Katy.  They have seen the best and they scheme well with what talent they have against our offensive scheme.  We out athlete people for the most part on offense until the athletes are equal and then we get out coached on the O side of things.

We are 4-1 on the year and 2-0 in district, so this ol boy is not yet throwing in the towel.  If opinions were worth anything, we would all be coaches, right??  For me, I do not know how to fix these issues, just know what I see and know there are problems in the OL.  Our current coaches must fix this however possible.  If they can't then we are in trouble come playoff time and probably before that time, like right now!!   What are your suggestions to fix our situation??  I can give you Coach Quick's email and you guys can send your suggestions to him or maybe you could visit practice one afternoon next week to offer input directly to the OL situation??

Look, I'm not trying to be sarcastic , it just we all have very little to do with what happens on the Lufkin football team.  I am just as frustrated to see things be not what we expect or want them to be, but like I said, we are 4-1 and 2-0 right now and we could be 1-4 and 0-2 and you all would be a lot more pissed off right now.   So while there is much concern in what I write today, I also have to hope our coaches find a solution to all of these issues we talk about here.  Encarnacion is my MVP for last nights game,  for with out his 4 FG, we lose that game.  A win is a win is a win, and through all of the OL turmoil we perceive going on, it was still a win on the road, no matter how ugly.  You still must win the ugly games.

Scores around 8-5A DI last night.

Lufkin  24  Magnolia 18

College Station 38  Waller 7

Magnolia West 54  Willis  30

Tomball 41  Caney Creek 19

8-5A DI Standings       District W-L             Points               Season W-L             Points

School Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Lufkin 2-0   66 31 4-1   198 62  
College Station 2-0   94 14 4-1   185 88  
Magnolia 1-1   49 44 3-2   126 113  
Magnolia West 2-0   96 61 3-2   183 150  
Tomball 1-1   72 61 2-3   137 151  
Waller 0-2   27 69 0-4   43 121  
Willis 0-2   43 96 1-4   122 217  
Caney Creek 0-2   26 97 1-4   88 207  

On another note.....I don't want to hear one bad word about our defense.  They are the very reason we are 4-1 and 2-0 and held Longview to a 3 point win.  Those guys were on the field a long time last night against a much bigger Magnolia O-Line and for a whole 1st half held them in check..  Right now, considering the condition of the O-Line play, the Lufkin D will be the one's who will determine the outcome in this district and how far we will go in the playoffs.  We lost a couple key players last night, only when Jamarcus Ingram went out did Magnolia start having success running the ball.  No one here is talking about the illegal blocking Magnolia was doing on the offensive and defensive line of scrimmage.  In the 2nd half, the Mag OL half time change was to start holding and blocking our guys to the ground. Never called.  The NT started chopping our lineman's knees, we had two OL go out with the same injury.  Officials giving Magnolia an extra 1/2 yard here and there to get them a 1st down.  The Magnolia coaches on the field all game long, they finally got ONE sideline warning and argued every dang call against them.  Not counting the last play on Magnolia's 4th down incompletion , when one of the Magnolia players on the sidelines, with his helmet off, cursed the referee and them came off the sidelines to put his hand on the officials shoulder still talking.  It was a 30 yard penalty.  Lufkin could have played much better, there is no argument from me on that.  We have issues in the OL, again I agree, but we went through a bunch of other BS last night too and some referees that had too many conferences.   For example.  When Lufkin blocked the extra point, the ball went forward into the end zone and Magnolia recovered and acted like they had the two points or maybe a TD.  Well, anyone with any knowledge of the game knows when the ball is blocked and goes forward, the ball is automatically dead.  However, the officials had to have a conference about it.   

Guys, I have the same concerns as you do, mainly about our OL and have wanted us to have a great playoff run and be another State contender for a very long time.  Every year you look and there are just those times you think this year or this is the year we have enough to make a run.  There is frustration when we fall short,  when you think the team could have done better. Other years, you know you don't have what it takes.  Right now I am willing to wait and see how things transpire and not pre judge this team 1/2 way through the season to a 1st or 2nd round playoff  loss or whatever.

8 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

I don’t have all the answers. I’m honestly shocked by everything this season. I’ve been to every game this year and I keep going expecting the oline to finally get it right that week. I mean....you have film on Saturday morning. You practice from Monday to Thursday. You have Rex come out to help you. You also have other guys with experience to come out to talk to you and try to help. Then...you see that mess on the field every Friday night. The coaches can’t figure it out because they continue to make changes during the game. And yea....I know me complaining on here ain’t helping. I Just don’t know. I guess we should hope for the best, but expect the worst? similar to those defenses we had from 2012-16. Lol...🤷🏽‍♂️

I’ll say this, then I’m done with this week. I understand it’s mostly on the kids, but Green not really changing anything up to help them out. Yea, like i said before we replaced some of the runs with short passes, but that was it. Defenses know what’s coming. Why not change it up? finally add a TE. Maybe there crazy since most of the other five guys aren’t getting it done. But it’s different. That’s all I’m saying. It’s not just kids getting whipped at the lines. The other coaching staffs understand what we’re doing. But yea..done talking about it. 

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

On another note.....I don't want to hear one bad word about our defense.  They are the very reason we are 4-1 and 2-0 and held Longview to a 3 point win.  Those guys were on the field a long time last night against a much bigger Magnolia O-Line and for a whole 1st half held them in check..  Right now, considering the condition of the O-Line play, the Lufkin D will be the one's who will determine the outcome in this district and how far we will go in the playoffs.  We lost a couple key players last night, only when Jamarcus Ingram went out did Magnolia start having success running the ball.  No one here is talking about the illegal blocking Magnolia was doing on the offensive and defensive line of scrimmage.  In the 2nd half, the Mag OL half time change was to start holding and blocking our guys to the ground. Never called.  The NT started chopping our lineman's knees, we had two OL go out with the same injury.  Officials giving Magnolia an extra 1/2 yard here and there to get them a 1st down.  The Magnolia coaches on the field all game long, they finally got ONE sideline warning and argued every dang call against them.  Not counting the last play on Magnolia's 4th down incompletion , when one of the Magnolia players on the sidelines, with his helmet off, cursed the referee and them came off the sidelines to put his hand on the officials shoulder still talking.  It was a 30 yard penalty.  Lufkin could have played much better, there is no argument from me on that.  We have issues in the OL, again I agree, but we went through a bunch of other BS last night too and some referees that had too many conferences.   For example.  When Lufkin blocked the extra point, the ball went forward into the end zone and Magnolia recovered and acted like they had the two points or maybe a TD.  Well, anyone with any knowledge of the game knows when the ball is blocked and goes forward, the ball is automatically dead.  However, the officials had to have a conference about it.   

Guys, I have the same concerns as you do, mainly about our OL and have wanted us to have a great playoff run and be another State contender for a very long time.  Every year you look and there are just those times you think this year or this is the year we have enough to make a run.  There is frustration when we fall short,  when you think the team could have done better. Other years, you know you don't have what it takes.  Right now I am willing to wait and see how things transpire and not pre judge this team 1/2 way through the season to a 1st or 2nd round playoff  loss or whatever.

Yea....i really thought the refs were going to give them something too. The Magnolia players were all in their face saying they scored and those fools were actually thinking about it. One ref put his hands up like this....🤷🏽‍♂️. He didn’t know what to call. 

I know we had guys out and Ingram leaving really hurt us, So i definitely didn’t want to put the blame on the defense of make it seem that way. They were the reason we won last night and are 4-1. Huge int by Bugg i think and a few big stops late in that one gave us the win. My only beef was not really making any adjustments to those same two plays they were getting yards on in the running game the first three drives of the second half. You can’t put it on fatigue that first drive for them after the half. Maybe losing Ingram and not having a few others in there was that big though. I just didn’t understand why he took out Terry and Gardner when they played well early on in the first half. Why not keep the best 11 on the field most of the time? other than the lineman because of fatigue. But i saw what the Magnolia players were doing. Similar to last season. That whole area is dirty, because West does the same. 

What are your thoughts, for the people who understand zone blocking.   What I am trying to say is I do not understand the zone blocking of just trying to redirect a defensive player so the RB can find  his avenue to run.   Some of you mention a TE, That would help with the blocking and gives Jordan a good outlet if under pressure.    We have these issues in the OL that effects every thing else we do as an offense and I don't know the answer.

Just sitting here thinking how fortunate we are to have College Station and Magnolia West at ABE this year.   

Also wanted to say how Kelton Wright proved his worth the last two games with another good night with 4 catches for 94 yards and a key 4th quarter TD.  With Polk and Reggie having big games too, Lufkin now has three great options to throw the ball to right now.  Ja’Lynn Polk had 8 catches for 146 yards and Christian Reggie had 12 catches for 94 yards and a touchdown. 

17 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

😂 we can’t even get a holder on the field 

This happened because Thompson was backup holder last night and didn't realize Reggie had gotten injured.

18 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

What an embarrassing game

I have seen many games more embarrassing than this one, all have been loses! Matt Stepp picked LP by 9 and they won by 6. Coaches were pleased with the win and so were the players. This team is way more disciplined than many teams we have seen here. I am very proud of this team and believe they will continue to improve. Jordan was just off last night, yet still threw for over 300 yards. Hopefully they can work out the running game, might even be this week. Trust me this team will put a complete game together and when they do, maybe the fans will give them the respect they deserve!