PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

The Pack let this game get away from them. Do we not have a FG kicker? They should have won this game. Have to work on the OL blocking. 

Go Pack 

Well this game was sloppy ,for both teams. First game of the year so I guess that's too be expected.Play calling as usual sucked,secondary  playing too far off,blocking was not so good.LV tried too give us a victory , but naw we didn't want it seems like. Defensive front played better than I expected....so all and we got work too do  "GO PACK" Oh and those refs seem very generous   😊

Longview 24  Lufkin 21

Have maybe 4 things to say about this game and then we move on to Nacogdoches who lost to Kilgore tonight 17-14

1.  The Lobos dropped several open passes, that may or may not have made a difference in the final score, some of it was good defense on the part of the Panthers.   The Lobos passing game is precise while our passing game sometimes looks like we are throwing it up,  sand lot style.  Jordan Moore or Coach Green tend to focus on Polk too much,  there are more receivers on the field than JaLynn Polk.  Polk was double and triple covered on about half the throws that he was the target' and we still threw it to him.  Lord, Polk is good but there are others WR out there to consider too.

2.  Crunch time,  our play and the Lobos play was sloppy at times tonight, untimely errors and penalties.  Lufkin again exhibited the inability to execute in crunch time when they needed it the most on their final two processions. They had every chance to win this game but could not deliver down the stretch.  Longview tried every way in the world to give this game to Lufkin and we wouldn't take it.  Longview won the game because they were just a little better at executing  when it counted tonight.

3. OL play for Lufkin , they are big boys but they are slow,  had trouble picking up the pass pressure most of the night.  The chemistry was not there and it showed in the running game until late in the 2nd half.  Longview has a good defense, but our line was bigger ,we had all kinds of trouble with pass protection for Moore.    Sometimes it takes time to for an OL to jell, I'm sure it will in time. Gorman-Welch had to be double teamed all night, he exerted lots of pressure in the backfield.

More work to do on in the OL for next week.  Jordan Moore and the RBs sure need better blocking and protection if either is going to have success this season. It will get better because most people we are going to play will not be as good defensively as Longview.

4. Thought our Defense played well, picked off King a couple of times , sacked him and rushed him many times on the night.  Except for one big run, the Panther run D held their own.  I was proud of them.  They are going to be good. Corners had  some trouble stopping that great comeback play for the Lobos,  that their kept all their drives going in the first half.   Later , Lufkin finally figure it out just a bit and had some success stopping it.

The score indicates a hard fought game and there were some great moments for both teams, there is also a lot that I am sure both coaches will say they need to work on before next week.  Big first game to play and a good one to work out the kinks.

Lufkin got a few kids banged up and cramped, hope they are ready to go next week in Nacogdoches.  

4 minutes ago, Packfan49 said:

Well this game was sloppy ,for both teams. First game of the year so I guess that's too be expected.Play calling as usual sucked,secondary  playing too far off,blocking was not so good.LV tried too give us a victory , but naw we didn't want it seems like. Defensive front played better than I expected....so all and we got work too do  "GO PACK" Oh and those refs seem very generous   😊

Yep..LV tried hard to give us the W. We didn't deserve to win though. 

Agree with everything that was said. I want to say more but leaving it alone. I was proud of the effort by the boys....especially when Bugg went out. Defense stepped up. Coaching has to do better. Other than the first play call on offense for the score.....everything else is just basic. Same stuff every year. But yea....next game. 

17 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Agree with everything that was said. I want to say more but leaving it alone. I was proud of the effort by the boys....especially when Bugg went out. Defense stepped up. Coaching has to do better. Other than the first play call on offense for the score.....everything else is just basic. Same stuff every year. But yea....next game. 

Green will never change, he is just a basics guy. Not a bad tendency, but maybe not good in certain cases.  Longview is obviously more innovative with their play calling than Lufkin.  That first play for a TD was a good change to see.

Lord....i hate losing to Longview. They were the better team this year. That’s clear, but they tried to give us this one. Chance after chance. Just didn’t take it. PA, we were worried about the oline issues before the game.....yep. The lobos were experienced and talented, but they have to do better. Much better. Secondary too. How many third downs did lobos get because we played off of their receivers? And that 99 yard drive by Longview was a killer coming out.  

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

I think this train has gone about as far as it can with it's current conductor. Lufkin will now play Nac, Mexico, then a bye week before opening district with Willis. I don't see any of those teams helping Lufkin improve. 

1 minute ago, timeout! said:

I think this train has gone about as far as it can with it's current conductor. Lufkin will now play Nac, Mexico, then a bye week before opening district with Willis. I don't see any of those teams helping Lufkin improve. 

It is what it is. Coaching know the problems.....but when you see they don’t try to change....Smh. 

That’s not true at all. Take that somewhere else. The pass interference call i agree that was horrible, but the rest of the calls or no calls were correct. Let’s stop acting like they tried to help us out considering they called several on us late in the game, that I’m sure lobo fans have no problems with....and don’t consider phantom such as the holding call. You could also call PI on the two dbs that were on Polk on one of those deep passes late in the game and they called nothing. They are from Nac not alumni refs like y’all sometimes have in Longview. Move on.....game is over. If you want to tell that 38-7 lie to someone......tell it to your own people in lobo land. We have Nac now. Safe travels and good luck the rest of the way 

5 hours ago, Pack007 said:

That’s not true at all. Take that somewhere else. The pass interference call i agree that was horrible, but the rest of the calls or no calls were correct. Let’s stop acting like they tried to help us out considering they called several on us late in the game, that I’m sure lobo fans have no problems with....and don’t consider phantom such as the holding call. You could also call PI on the two dbs that were on Polk on one of those deep passes late in the game and they called nothing. They are from Nac not alumni refs like y’all sometimes have in Longview. Move on.....game is over. If you want to tell that 38-7 lie to someone......tell it to your own people in lobo land. We have Nac now. Safe travels and good luck the rest of the way 

Too me some of those calls were questionable, maybe from where I was seated....but that,s football, if the pack plays better ,would  not need some of those.....just my opinion

7 hours ago, timeout! said:

Sounds just about right too me

This is Nacdragon07 got locked out old account so created a new one. we sucked last night won’t be surprised  if y’all win by 50 come next week. The offense struggled  all night long, the coaching decisions were questionable we spent all our timeouts in the first quarter.

I just wonder why Moore keeps trying too throw in double coverage , and why he won,t run more when he can. There were times when he could have ran ...maybe that,s Green .

24 minutes ago, Nacdragon said:

This is Nacdragon07 got locked out old account so created a new one. we sucked last night won’t be surprised  if y’all win by 50 come next week. The offense struggled  all night long, the coaching decisions were questionable we spent all our timeouts in the first quarter.

You trying too set us up, giving us that line...   lol ....we know y'all  going pull out all the stops,get outta hear, back across  that Angelina bridge …...😄we will see ya Friday

We did not win the game, but Lufkin did get the " Play of the Night"  in East Texas.  Really great play to start the game.  I guess that is something  that really means nothing because,  in the end, we lost the game.  

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/sports/friday-football-fever/fff-play-of-the-night-lufkin-pulls-off-double-pass-for-89-yard-td/

8 hours ago, Packfan49 said:

I just wonder why Moore keeps trying too throw in double coverage , and why he won,t run more when he can. There were times when he could have ran ...maybe that,s Green .

He is looking to throw to his primary WR,  then again he did not have the time last night to look around for other possibilities.  He did not run much for the same reason, looking for someone open.  It's early in the season and they want to preserve him.    Longview should think of that as well after King was limping around most of the game after a hard hit trying to pass, they ran him a few times later in the game even with the limp.  Neither team can afford to lose their QB.

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

You trying too set us up, giving us that line...   lol ....we know y'all  going pull out all the stops,get outta hear, back across  that Angelina bridge …...😄we will see ya Friday

I wish I was it was that Brutal on our end. We looked better a year ago then we did Friday night. We cannot win a game at home.

Pack comes up just short in 24-21 loss to Lobos

Another classic Longview/Lufkin game. Another night of electricity. Another heartbreaking loss for the Lufkin Panthers.

Longview’s Haynes King threw for 287 yards on 20-of-39 passing and the Lobos held off a barrage of late Lufkin opportunities on the way to a 24-21 win over the Panthers in front of a packed crowd at John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium Friday night.

Lufkin’s defense withstood the power of King for most of the night as it gave the offense a pair of chances to win late in the game. However, the Panthers constantly finished the night one play short as they came up on the short end of another tough loss.

“They made the plays when they had to make them,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “We didn’t make the plays when we had our chances. That’s what it all comes down to.”

Longview won despite big nights from Ja’Lynn Polk, Christian Reggie and Jordan Moore.

Polk caught seven passes for 130 yards and a touchdown and also threw an 89-yard touchdown on the first offensive play of the game. Reggie made three catches for 122 yards and a touchdown.

Meanwhile Moore threw for 189 yards and a touchdown on 13-of-25 passing.

However, the plays that got away from Lufkin haunted the Panthers throughout the night.

“We have to play better than that,” Quick said. “We’re a better football team than them, and we let one get away.”

After nine months of waiting, it took the Lufkin Panthers only one play to electrify the home crowd with an 89-yard touchdown strike from Polk to Reggie.

Moore threw a lateral to Polk, who took a hard shot but had the time to find a wide open Reggie, who scored on an 89-yard reception for a 7-0 lead.

The Lobos didn’t take long to find an answer as they responded with a 10-play, 77-yard drive that was capped by a Kaden Meredith 9-yard touchdown run that knotted the game at 7-7 with 8:31 left in the first quarter.

Instead of the game turning into a shootout, the defenses took over from there.

Longview had the most sustained drive of the first half as it methodically marched the ball 76 yards on 16 plays. However, the Lobos had to settle for an Antonio Onofre 37-yard field goal that gave Longview the lead for the first time at 10-7 with 6:26 left in the first half.

Longview appeared ready to go up by two scores as King hit Kyas Moore on a 42-yard pass before connecting with Jhailon Braden on a 30-yarder that moved the Lobos into the Pack’s red zone.

However, Nicco Hood came up with a key interception in the end zone that kept Longview’s narrow lead at 10-7.

After the opening play of the game, Longview controlled much of the first half with King throwing for 200 yards on 13-of-24 passing. Moore was the leading rusher with 42 yards on nine carries.

Lufkin’s Moore threw for 72 yards on 6-of-10 passing while Reggie was the big-play threat with 127 yards and a touchdown on three receptions.

After the break, the big plays came quickly from both teams.

Lufkin appeared to catch the break it needed early in the second half when a Longview player slipped down at his own 1-yard line. The Panthers had the Lobos backed up on a third and 10 from the 1 when King found Kaden Kearbey for a 30-yard pass. Three plays later, Markevion Haynes scored on a 46-yard run that upped the margin to 17-7.

Lufkin had a quick response as it scored on the next possession. A Longview late hit kept a drive alive and Polk took advantage as he hauled in a 33-yard touchdown pass that narrowed the gap to 17-14.

On Lufkin’s next drive, Polk hauled in another nice 33-yard pass that set up a Caleb Berry 3-yard touchdown that put the Panthers back on top 21-17.

Longview didn’t take long to bounce back as King scored on a 6-yard touchdown to put the Lobos on top 24-21 with 6:36 remaining.

Lufkin had its chances over the final minutes as it recovered a muffed punt before moving to the Longview 10. However, a Longview sack eventually led to a turnover on downs.

With the Lobos looking to put the game away, Lufkin’s Damarquise Garner came up with a game-saving interception.

However, Lufkin’s final attempt was turned away on a dropped pass that preserved the Longview win.

The Panthers (0-1) return to action on Friday as they travel to take on Nacogdoches.

Josh Havard’s email address isjosh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

Can't tell you how many times I have read this same line in the paper about big games.

“They made the plays when they had to make them,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “We didn’t make the plays when we had our chances. That’s what it all comes down to it".

......and Coach Quick is exactly correct, I agree with him,  we need to make the plays in these type games.

1 hour ago, Packfan49 said:

Too me some of those calls were questionable, maybe from where I was seated....but that,s football, if the pack plays better ,would  not need some of those.....just my opinion

The PI is all I’m giving them. Until you go to lobo and see that mess we have to deal with, i have no sympathy for them talking about officials. That’s between them and the Nac chapter. In all honesty, that was the only bad call. They never get call for chop blocking in their own stadium so it’s shock to see it other places