PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

Demond demas the #2 WR in the Nation and 16 overall was ruled ineligible from the UIL he will not play for Tomball this year. 

Go Pack 

Not going to say much.  It was a scrimmage and the first time out really hitting folks. 

First the Lufkin Freshman did well winning their portion of the night 3-1, while I am not certain about the JV but think that was a 2-2 score. Freshman QB Isaiah Mooney is very good, big 6-3, 180 lb lefty that spins the football well.

The Panthers win the controlled portion of the scrimmage 1-0.They started strong and the defense was scrappy.  Pack007 has already mentioned the Pack shut down Huntsville's offense in the first 6 or 7 possessions.  The 2s on D gave a little more up however played well overall.

The live portion was different and I will let you guys come up with your own conclusions there.  Thought the 1st team O did well overall at times, other times, not so much. The 1st team D stayed stout pretty much all night. The 2nd team D gave up the lone score to Huntsville but still played well overall. Lufkin scored their lone TD against the Huntsville 1st team D.  

Huntsville is picked #5 in 5A DI.  They did not start well at all but they picked it up a little more toward the end and had just a few good moments against the Panthers..  Everybody on both sides got to play.   Mixing and match all night.  They are going to be very good this year.  This was an excellent opponent to have our scrimmage against.

Jordan Moore had his stellar moments too.  Just going to say timing and chemistry were hot and cold at times. As far as our O-Line, they are some big ol boys and they need to plow the road like big ol boys.  That consistency will come with more time together. I mean our guards Seth Williams is 6-4, 350 lbs and Alex Pruitt is 6-5,  310 lbs.  Tackle Jacolten Jones has got to be 6-4, 280.  No one is small on that OL or their back ups.

Look ,there are a few kinks to work out, that is what these scrimmages are all about. Fixing stuff..  It's not about steamrolling someone into submission.  There are certainly several things that need to improve  and work on before next week.  There was also a lot of good to come out of this year's scrimmage. Whether they will admit it or not, and maybe the score does not indicate such, Lufkin mostly dominated the bulk of the scrimmage last night.  Very promising group of kids.   That's really about all I want to say about what went on tonight.

Does Coach Green ever play call for a pass over the middle?  This is not a trick question.   He is always been an edges guy.

Yep, several things to work out. Definitely not going to lose it over a scrimmage. We didn’t play well at all last year in that scrimmage and got dominated by a very good defensive line in Huntsville, but we still went on the road without a few starters and played well on national tv in Longview against a team that would later on win a title. It may take a few weeks for the offense to gel, but i can see the potential. Just worried about a few positions. However, i did love what i saw from the defense. Not sure how good the Huntsville offense will be this season, but our guys absolutely dominated them. I knew how good the secondary was, but wasn’t sure about the front seven. They really stepped up in the game and put a lot of pressure on the Qb. Also didn’t give much on the ground. Just hope we can keep improving from week to week. We have the potential to be very good again. Just wish we had a TE. Don’t understand what Green has against it.....but leaving that one alone. Hope everyone made it back safely. Lp!!

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Does Coach Green ever play call for a pass over the middle?  This is not a trick question.   He is always been an edges guy.

In 2012 we did it a few times. That was probably his best season calling plays. At least in district and the playoffs. 

On 8/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, Pack007 said:

Definitely one of the biggest lines we’ve had and that’s saying something considering the kids that have played here.  Just hope they can block 

Yep...hope they can get it together. Special teams too. 

Thought #48 CJ Hale played well as back up LB in the middle.  Tall kid who moved in from New Mexico, was the QB on his team in NM.  Tre Odom had a decent night as #2 QB as well.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, Pack007 said:

Definitely one of the biggest lines we’ve had and that’s saying something considering the kids that have played here.  Just hope they can block 

They looked tonight like they haven't done much live blocking.  They gave up about 4 QB sacks and did not run block as well as I thought they would consistently. There were times they did very well. That will all get better too. It s just about consistency and chemistry on the OL.

2 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

They looked tonight like they haven't done much live blocking in practice.  They gave up about 4 QB sacks and did not run block as well as I thought they would consistently.  That will get better too.

LP had a big loss to the OL, Zykee Alen had to leave football program due to family issue. Praying for him and his family he will be missed!

HUNTSVILLE — Even while sharing the field with another Top 10 team, the focus for the Lufkin Panthers was still on a Longview Lobos team that will be headed to town in a week. With that in mind, the Panthers made sure to make the most of a scrimmage against a strong Huntsville team.

By the time Lufkin walked off the field, it had plenty of reason for optimism as well as some room for improvement before Friday’s season opener.

“The kids are already talking about the Longview game,” Lufkin head coach Todd Quick said. “We’ll be up at the school at 9 (this morning) to look at this and get going. Huntsville’s a good team that will show you what you need to work on. Tonight’s scrimmage was a good thing to help put us in position to be successful next week.”

The Panthers had their bright spots throughout the scrimmage. On the defensive side of the ball, Lufkin was lights out for most of the day before allowing a long touchdown in the two quarters of live action.

In 90 plays on defense, the Panthers allowed double-digit yardage on only six plays. Only two of those came against Lufkin’s first stringers.

“The defense is usually ahead of the offense at this point, and that’s mainly because it’s all about effort,” Quick said. “We had good effort over there and got after them.”

On the offensive side, Lufkin showed off some of what could be a big-play offense that will be led by Jordan Moore and an explosive group of receivers.

Moore threw for 178 yards and a touchdown with Ja’Lynn Polk being his top target with four catches for 126 yards and a touchdown.

Kelton Wright had five catches for 102 yards and a touchdown and Cristian Diaz had five receptions for 91 yards.

Caleb Berry proved to be Lufkin’s top threat out of the backfield in limited action as he ran for 51 yards on eight carries.

“Offensively we were good at times but kind of shot ourselves in the foot at other times,” Quick said. “We made some mistakes to get behind the chains, but we saw some good things out there as well.”

The scrimmage started with special teams plays followed by 50 plays from both offenses.

The Panthers’ defense dominated Huntsville throughout that action with the first team allowing one lone first down in its 20 plays on the field. Julian Diaz had an interception for Lufkin and Deondres Calhoun recovered a fumble.

Lufkin’s offense was more efficient in moving the ball as it drove near the Huntsville 20 on several different occasions.

Lufkin’s only touchdown in the controlled scrimmage came when starting safety and backup QB Tre Odom threw a perfect pass to Wright for a 59-yard touchdown.

Odom has recently drawn interest from Division I schools at safety but has plenty of experience at quarterback. He finished the scrimmage throwing for 172 yards and a touchdown.

Lufkin closed out the controlled scrimmage action by outscoring Huntsville 7-0.

In the two quarters of live action, the Lufkin defense had a hard hit on a Hornets’ receiver, and Jerrin Thompson picked off the ball in mid air before sprinting toward the Huntsville goal line. However, the play was blown dead because of scrimmage rules.

Huntsville later would have the same type of play in which it had a pass that appeared headed for a pick six before it was blown dead.

The Panthers used the biggest play of the day to get on the board in live action as Moore hit Polk for a short route before he blazed his way to the end zone for a 75-yard score.

Huntsville tied it up on one of their few explosive offensive plays of the scrimmage when Tyrique Carter caught a 50-yard touchdown pass.

The teams finished the live two quarters of action tying 7-7.

Lufkin will now begin its final preparations for its home opener against defending Class 6A Division II state champion Longview at 7:30 Friday night. Huntsville will host Lufkin’s district rival Willis on Friday night.

Josh Havard’s email address is

josh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

7 hours ago, FHL777 said:

LP had a big loss to the OL, Zykee Alen had to leave football program due to family issue. Praying for him and his family he will be missed!

So sorry to hear that. He is such a good player on the line.  Hope all turns out well for him.

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Thank You Pack007 for keeping everyone posted during the scrimmage.

I didn’t do much, but Of course! Hate the news about Zykee..

Huntsville saw their scrimmage as a positive. 

https://www.itemonline.com/sports/takeaways-from-huntsville-s-scrimmage-against-lufkin/article_ea47e578-c627-11e9-a003-bbd775161f7a.html

What they did say was Huntsville did not get a single first down until the live scrimmage portion of the scrimmage,  Saying they were swapping out units and did not have consistency.  Well, Lufkin was swapping out units too and had no trouble making plenty of 1st downs.

Second, Huntsville does not mention they gave up 350 yards passing to Lufkin, and they say their defense may be better than last year.  Everyone has a different perspective and different expectations from their scrimmage experience.  The Lufkin run game started real slow, however later in the controlled portion and live portion, the running game improved, especially with Caleb Berry in the lineup.

Both teams had special teams snap problems on punts.

Lufkin  had a high level scrimmage with the #5 ranked team in 5A Div II on the road.  Huntsville is a very good team and is not a team expected to be in 5th place in their own district, but expected to vie for the 5A Div II State Title .   Good experience all the way around for both teams.

I did not enjoy the scrimmage that much in Huntsville, it was hot, we were facing the sun.  Uncomfortable for the fans and players too, I am sure.  Just not feeling it right now for some reason.  Maybe it's the heat or maybe it's something else.  Some of it is the feeling of doing this so many times before.  When I look at Lufkin and the way they play ball, the formations , the offensive sets, it could be any year.  I could close my eyes and it could very well be 2018, 2014, 2009, or 2007.    The names may change but the uniforms still do the same things they have done for years, it is very recognizable if you watch very much Panther football.  Maybe it's just me getting older and understanding that the whole experience is just not that important any more in the grand scheme of things.  Football is very repetitious and I have played and watched a ton of it over the many years, that includes 280 Panther games in a row dating back to 1996.  It can be a real grind to make all of those games sometime, it has not been easy to make some games on several occasions and 14 of those years I helped transport and set up the Panther Helmet and Tunnel run through.  Hoping for a better year in 2019, always end up doing that no matter how upset I feel when we lose early in the playoffs.  Always think that maybe this is the year we get it done again.  The scrimmage went well overall and I was encouraged by many things Lufkin did Friday night.  Much better than they did in the scrimmage with Huntsville last year at ABE.  So, I am ready to get the season started.  The Panthers have an uphill battle with the 2018 6A Div II Longview Lobos coming to town this Friday.  However, it is no secret Longview  has struggled in the past at Abe Martin and you know the PACK will be ready for them when they get here.  Maybe, this game will get my adrenaline going again for the 2019 football season.  A Panther win would a great start to better things to come.   Go Pack!!!

I kind of feel you PA in that I have had so many high hopes in the past just too see them fizzle out. I, m not going too any away games, just tired of road trips in the regular season too see them end in the playoffs sometimes too poor coaching decisions .I hope we beat Longview ,but if we do those hopes will be ramped up for fans ,just too see another fizzle at years end.I see us winning the district and after that who knows..Hoping for the best from the Pack but bracing for the worst.....GO PACK

Jordan Moore threw for 178 yards and a touchdown and Tre Odom who is one of our D1 starting safeties, threw for 172 yards and 1 TD.  We ran 5 guys at RB Friday, so lots of guys got touches.  I don't put lots of stock in scrimmages because you don't game plan, at least Lufkin doesn't.   Lufkin was looking to find the backups they need and depth.  They already knew who their starters would be.

Looking forward to the game as I do every other year! Even more so this time around since Longview is coming in as the undefeated State champs from a season ago. Here's the deal for all of you cocky Lobo fans, Lufkin is not gonna be intimidated! That success is from last season, it's a brand new season now. Lufkin is more loaded than most people realize this year. And our QB, lol talk down on him if you want too! His play will do the talking come Friday night. No he may not be as polished or experienced as Haynes King, but he's a beast! Mark my words he will be known around the state real soon. Lufkin vs Longview is always a intense game and I wouldn't be surprised if Lufkin comes out on top.

7 hours ago, Bleedgreen said:

And pack007.....u need to capitalize "lv" when u are discussing the 2018 State Champions. Lol. 

I don’t have to do anything. And congrats on finally winning a big school trophy. I know it’s been a hundred years for y’all. It’s also funny I’ve never seen you on here before. Yall finally win it all over an above average WB team and get lucky that Katy,  and LT not in your division and get a title (which i still respect), now you want to come on here and talk smack. It’s not wise, especially when sitting on that visitor side. That’s if you’re even a real fan and are making the trip down..

But I’m not going back and forth with you. I’m sure you’ve heard the quote about wresting with pigs? Do your thing.....hopefully the Pack will see this and send a message to the last year champs of D2 at ol Abe. 

7 hours ago, Bleedgreen said:

It doesnt matter where we start...yall already know the outcome. State champs rolling in like an F5 tornado come Friday. Hope yall give us a game this time around. Lol

Good to know, tornados don’t usually exceed 10 minutes so we should be in the clear by the 2nd quarter.