PackAttack

LUFKIN PANTHER FOOTBALL 2019

O yes, forgot about the dividing fence. Yes and the new gold metal seats had metal backs too. You had to be 5 ft tall to sit comfortably. They did not last but a couple years.ūüėČ

Today is July 20th and Lufkin is 34 days from their first scrimmage of 2019 with Huntsville and 41 days from opening the season at ABE against Longview.

Have not really wanted to talk much about the opening game too early, but I guess this is as good a time as any.  

We know all about Longview, they are the 6A Div II State Champions for 2018 and they have Haynes King back at QB for his senior year.  He is a 5 star recruit that has committed to play at Texas A&M next season.  He received many awards last year from various outlets for his performance throughout last season.  Longview overall is loaded again this year at every position although they did lose some key pieces from their offense and defense with graduation.  They always have a stockpile of talent always ready to step into the spots vacated and carry on.  Kaden Meredith steps in as starting RB.  Big  DL Gorman-Welch is back to anchor the DL.  They have everything they need and more to repeat again this year as 6A Div II champions.   Lufkin's rivalry with Longview has always been a true test and we always give them our best shot  and most of our games whether we win or lose are generally close scoring.

Lufkin comes into 2019 replacing all of their starting D Line and 4 of 5 Offensive Lineman.  The Panthers are deep and talented in the offensive and defensive skilled positions.  Jordan Moore started 4 games as a sophomore at the beginning of 2018, he will be the starter this year. Moore did very well stepping in for starter Kewone Thomas early in the season because of an injury.  In fact came very close to defeating Longview in the season opener.  He has the talent to be very good for Lufkin .  He has good size at about 6-3 and 198 lbs, arm strength and accuracy are excellent.  He can run and pick up yardage when needed too.  Really looking forward to watching him throw to the talented bunch we have on hand this year.  The OL and DL  will have some new faces to watch and we'll see how they can come together.  The OL has a lot of big and tall lineman this year, as we saw in the spring.  Hopefully good blocking and chemistry  will develop there early.  The D Line will  be comprised of a couple players who were backups in the DL rotation last year, Carl Patton and Wilbur Smallwood, also new varisity addition Kaysen Elijah. Romel Garcia will also be in that mix.  Caleb  Berry returns at RB along with speedster Terrance Fields.

My thinking is there are a few more questions to answer for Lufkin than Lonview  early in the season and I think our game with them will reflect a time of growth for us.  A good game for the Panthers to find chemistry and get better before district play begins.  No better test than Longivew and you know they will come into this game as the favorite to win.  The momentum of winning the State Championship carry's over to this opening game.  Lufkin still needs to overcome the hurdle of losing the last few games to Longview by close margins.   It is going to be a hard fought battle like all the Lufkin-Longview games are every year.  The Panthers will definitely be there to defend their home turf. 

More news later over these next 40 days leading up to this season opener.

Outlaw to be inducted into THSCA Hall of Honor tonight

Twenty-four years ago, Lufkin head coach John Outlaw first joined the Lufkin community in hopes of turning the Panthers into a perennial statewide powerhouse.

Six years later, he led Lufkin High School to its first state football title along with a spot of prominence among the state’s top teams.

Tonight, the legendary head coach will take his spot among the legendary leaders in the state as he is posthumously inducted into the Texas High School Coaches Association Hall of Honor in a ceremony in Houston tonight.

‚ÄúYou look at the list of names that have been honored, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt he absolutely deserves to be up there,‚ÄĚ current Lufkin head coach and athletic director Todd Quick said. ‚ÄúHis picture will be on the wall at the Texas High School Coaches Association, and that‚Äôs how it should be.‚ÄĚ

Outlaw etched out his name among the state’s great coaches in his time in Lufkin in which he racked up a 162-56-1 record that included the 2001 state title, three more appearances in the state semifinals and a run of 14 straight playoff appearances.

‚ÄúI think a lot of the numbers and records he put up speak for themselves, but his job in Lufkin went well beyond the coaching part,‚ÄĚ Quick said. ‚ÄúHe affected the lives of so many kids in the high school and those in the community along with the players he coached.

‚ÄúWhen we have guys come back here, you can see them still talking about the influence he had on them. More importantly, you can see how they use what they learned to be better people and better fathers. His presence is still here.‚ÄĚ

Outlaw’s impression on the community is evident from the fact the high school field is named after him. Pictures of his coaching days are seen both in the athletic halls and in the press box at John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium.

Quick said Lufkin would have a strong showing in recognizing Outlaw. They had already filled six tables, meaning at least 60 members of the community would be on hand.

In addition to those, Quick expects many others to be scattered throughout the crowd.

‚ÄúJust like everything, Lufkin‚Äôs going to have a big showing there.‚ÄĚ

His efforts have hardly gone unnoticed among his peers and colleagues in East Texas circles.

In 2014, Outlaw was part of the initial class elected into the East Texas Coaches Association Hall of Honor.

Even before getting to East Texas, he had already made his mark on Texas high school football where he posted a 57-21-2 record at Sherman before accepting the job in Lufkin.

Prior to coming to Texas, he started his career in his home state of Arkansas where he led Arkadelphia to a pair of state championships. His first state title came in 1979 and his second one came in 1987, just before he made his way to Texas.

For those efforts, he was inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 2013, just two years after his death.

Outlaw died in 2011 when he suffered a heart attack after a morning run.

His life was later chronicled in the documentary ‚ÄúOutlaw: Life, Death and Texas Football.‚ÄĚ

Tonight’s THSCA Hall of Honor Banquet will be held at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Houston at 7 p.m.

Other coaches being inducted into the Hall of Honor are Tommy Cox, Bubba Fife, Gary Joseph and Jim Rackley.

Josh Havard’s email address isjosh.havard@lufkindailynews.com.

82308821_132485073016.jpg

Have a question for the group.  I get messages and text comments sent to me all the time.  Sometimes many do not feel they can truly express there thoughts here.  We are all fans of Lufkin Panther Football, so it's okay if someone has concerning thoughts.  For many fans,  last year did not meet anyone's expectations IMO, so I can understand  a fans frustration.  Expectations are not there with some fans now days,  however members can make comments to that effect, as long as it is done in the context of honest and  tactful thinking.

Here is an excerpt from one comment:

"Lufkin IMO just isn't that serious about winning. We say all the right things and we act the part but something is just missing . I think we are more about amateurism than being great. I always hear it takes a special coach to be here in Lufkin.  I've gotten to where I think that is an convenient excuse for why changes aren’t made, unless someone leaves. If that's who we are now then cool,  lets just admit that and enjoy the games for what they are. We pretend we are something much more though and we are not any longer.  I can say it until I am blue in the face on this forum but it doesn’t sink in with some. Sure coaching could be better but the kids are different too. I always hear how talented we are and how we have the players to do this or that. My eyes tell me differently when I watch us play quality teams. Are we good? Absolutely.  Are we elite?  Not at all and that applies to coaching as well. Lufkin isn't serious anymore. We are average and sometimes we can look above average. In Texas high school football we are a PAC 12 team. Good name, good history, should be a big deal but we are behind the other real players in the State and I think it is by our choosing."

Your thoughts?

Remembering John Outlaw's 300th win. Great video. Little did we know what would happen 2 months later.

https://www.ktre.com/video/2019/07/21/archived-story-john-outlaw-winning-game-no/?fbclid=IwAR31u3m541k5sM8PTtezHCw8FK07CWGlREzw7OHgo8gf--CO3tdOdbFVbQs

I love the statement he made, "that when he first got here, they would get  off the bus hoping to win, now they get off the bus expecting to win".

He was a winner everywhere he coached for a reason, he did not like to lose and detested getting stomped.  I remember at a Sideliners meeting in 1996  when JT beat us 54-14, he was so upset afterward and said, "That will Never happen to us again", and it did not under his watch.  I love Coach Quick, he is a very good man and  football coach.  However, he is not John Outlaw or should he be,  just because he worked with him 26 years.  John Outlaw was just in another class of coaching success.  If I had to have a mentor for a coach you could not do much better than having him as a teacher.

Was a true honor to play for him and be apart of the team that started the Panther run of winning. He is truly missed. LP for life 

Nice video PA. I miss outlaw on the sidelines. Always felt confident when he was down there!

This really caps off Coach Outlaw's Legacy...........his influence and caring for all the kids that played for him, they were all his family. He will not be soon forgotten.  Go Pack!

https://www.kltv.com/video/2019/07/22/john-outlaw-pm/

D__8-ZZWkAEBbZU.jpg

L to R - Tommy Cox, Bubba Fife, Gary Joseph, Stephen Outlaw and Jim Rackly 

11 hours ago, Chadalac05 said:

Nice video PA. I miss outlaw on the sidelines. Always felt confident when he was down there!

Same 

5A Division I Regional Early Pre Season Predictions

R1
Denton Ryan brings a lot back. Maybe has the best shot at knocking off Highland Park in a Semi Final.
Not much else from Region I to go very deep from this region against Ryan, except maybe North Richland Hills Birdville .  

D2 
It's Highland Park until someone beats them they are and they should be favorites. 
Dark horses Lone Star, John Tyler , Mesquite Poteet, Lancaster and Lufkin all are proven winners.

By far this is the toughest Region to get out of to a semi final.  

D3  Richmond Foster brings back a ton of experience. Then you have  tough programs in Angelton,  Shadow Creek , PA Memorial and New Caney.
Don't be surprised if Cedar Park makes noise this year. Last year was tough for them because of some injuries to key players.  Dark horses are Hutto and Dripping Springs.

R4   You have San Antonio Wagner. Although Lubbock Coronado and Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial could be big players this year. CC Flour Bluff is very close too.  Not sure about the Valley teams.

DCTF has the following picks:

Region I - Denton Ryan over Birdville

Region II - Highland Park over John Tyler

Region III - Richmond Foster over Shadow Creek

Region IV - San Antonio Wagner over CC Veterans Memorial

Finals - DCTF picks Highland Park over Richmond Foster

A Rare Four Peat for Highland Park Thanks to their Trademark Precision and Discipline. HP has the best coaching staff and program in 5A Division I at the moment.    I wonder when and if they ever go up to 6A???    Last Alignment they had the 2nd largest enrollment in 5A Div I @ 2180.  Alvin Shadow Creek was #1 @ 2188.5.  

Lufkin had 2153.

Come on FHL777, let here your inside thoughts on how the season is shaping up?   Hopefully all will be healthy by the end of August. We are going to need everyone.

Personally, this is another good group of kids like last year.  Heard the off season went well for the ones who actually did showed up regularly. 

I believe Lufkin has a chance to make it to state, but this year the offense will be the headliner. This will be breakout year for Moore. LP will be loaded at skill positions WR - JP, Reggie, Hughes, AJ, Diaz and RB's position with Berry, Clark and Fields. Offensive line will be just as good as last year maybe a little better. Defense will be very good again with an outstanding secondary  and linebackers crew. Not in stone but think Turner will start at ILB with Ingram, Terry Johnson will be moving into OLB spot along with Park. D line is the big question mark, we all know who left. This will be a wait and see to who steps up. Remember this is the class that only lost one game as freshman and beat Evangel and the woodlands on the road, did not play Longview due to weather that year. This will be a very strong team and I am excited to see them come together and make a run. 

FYI - Lufkin Football Info Update

Coach: Todd Quick - 55-28  over 7 years - 663%  -  Playoffs: 6-7 - .461%

First Year to play Football: 1911

All-Time Record: 693-345-37 -.667%  - Playoffs: 47-38-0 - .553%

Playoff Appearances: 39

Last Playoff Appearance: 2018 - 5-A Division I Area Round

State Championships :- 2001 (5-A Div II)

State Championship Appearances (2): 1943 (1-A)  2001 (5-A Div II)

1 hour ago, FHL777 said:

I believe Lufkin has a chance to make it to state, but this year the offense will be the headliner. This will be breakout year for Moore. LP will be loaded at skill positions WR - JP, Reggie, Hughes, AJ, Diaz and RB's position with Barry, Clark and Fields. Offensive line will be just as good as last year maybe a little better. Defense will be very good again with an outstanding secondary  and linebackers crew. Not in stone but think Turner will start at ILB with Ingram, Terry Johnson will be moving into OLB spot along with Park. D line is the big question mark, we all know who left. This will be a wait and see to who steps up. Remember this is the class that only lost one game as freshman and beat Evangel and the woodlands on the road, did not play Longview due to weather that year. This will be a very strong team and I am excited to see them come together and make a run. 

Terry is going back to safety. Not giving the reason why. 

3 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Terry is going back to safety. Not giving the reason why. 

Do you happen to know who will be starting at OLB?

6 hours ago, FHL777 said:

I believe Lufkin has a chance to make it to state, but this year the offense will be the headliner. This will be breakout year for Moore. LP will be loaded at skill positions WR - JP, Reggie, Hughes, AJ, Diaz and RB's position with Barry, Clark and Fields. Offensive line will be just as good as last year maybe a little better. Defense will be very good again with an outstanding secondary  and linebackers crew. Not in stone but think Turner will start at ILB with Ingram, Terry Johnson will be moving into OLB spot along with Park. D line is the big question mark, we all know who left. This will be a wait and see to who steps up. Remember this is the class that only lost one game as freshman and beat Evangel and the woodlands on the road, did not play Longview due to weather that year. This will be a very strong team and I am excited to see them come together and make a run. 

Good information from both of you.  Thank You

Clark was the RB that I was impressed with at the Spring game, but failed to mark him down in my notes.  I remember Berry and Fields had some good carries too.   Hopefully Johnson will be at the OLB  position when the season starts.  Turner has gotten bigger and stronger in the off season, he would be a great fit at MLB.   Odom has become a beast at safety for Lufkin, he had an outstanding 7 on 7 season.  He and BUG Thompson make a dynamic tandem,   so we will see in about 38 days.

New changes to UIL ruling on Targeting Penalties for 2019:

The UIL typically follows NCAA rules for football, but this season, the organization will break from college regulations in a major way.

The UIL will institute a tiered targeting penalty starting this season, director of athletics Susan Elza said at Monday’s coaching school session.

For hits that meet the targeting criteria but are not considered intentional, a 15-yard penalty is assessed, but the player will not be ejected. A hit deemed egregious or intentional will result in the customary ejection. Two targeting penalties will result in an ejection.

According to NCAA regulations, a player who commits a targeting penalty is ejected after video review, technology that is not available during most high school football games.

‚Äú[Texas Association of Sports Officials] football is very excited about this,‚ÄĚ Elza said. ‚ÄúThey think it‚Äôs going to make it a lot easier on officials to feel comfortable in making that call, and again, they don‚Äôt have a way to review those calls, so that way, they‚Äôre going to have the opportunity to get it right and they won‚Äôt be so hesitant to make a call that will remove a player from the game.‚ÄĚ

Another new rule disallows wedge blocks on kickoffs and a blocking rule was amended to disallow blind-side blocking on defense.

Health and safety was another key topic for the UIL. Elza and deputy director Jamey Harrison said the first phase of tackling certification initiative, where all football coaches in grades 7-12 will be certified through the ATAVUS, will be complete by Aug. 1. A data-gathering project related to head injuries through UT-Southwestern’s Texas Institute for Brain Injury and Repair will be mandatory for Class 6A schools this season.

Harrison also said the upcoming alignment will be similar to the previous two with ‚Äúslight tweaks‚ÄĚ coming to the policies for the 2020-22 alignment, which will be revealed in February.

2020 state games return to ArlingtonThe 2020 state championship football games will return to AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Elza confirmed. The UIL will celebrate its 100th anniversary of football and basketball during that school year.

Home field?

Elza said the UIL and THSCA discussed adding home-field advantage for the first round of the football playoffs in Class 4A and below. She said not all coaches are in favor of the change largely because of travel concerns. It was added in 6A and 5A last year.

Summer workouts a success in Year 1

Elza also said the two-hour window per week for skill development was well-received by coaches she and her colleagues talked to at coaching school and other conventions. The rule was implemented this year, and it allows high school coaches to work with their players on sport-specific skills during the summer. Previously, only strength and conditioning activities were allowed.

‚Äú[UIL executive director Charles Breithaupt] says it all the time, ‚ÄėWho better to coach our kids but our own coaches?‚Äô‚ÄĚ she said. ‚ÄúThis allowed them the opportunity to be coached by their coaches and not have to pay for that.‚ÄĚ

Texas Football Days broadcasts revealed

Fox Sports Southwest released its lineup for Texas Football Days, which start Aug. 25 and culminate in two live broadcasts Aug. 29 and Aug. 30. Class 2A Division I champion Mason will host Wall at 7 p.m. Thursday and Denison will travel to Sherman at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Along with the two live games, the network will broadcast live look-ins from 11 games that week. Class 6A Division II champion Longview will head to Lufkin, a District 8-5A-1 opponent of College Station. Galena Park North Shore, which won Class 6A Division I, will host Katy. The other games are Plano West at Frisco Reedy, Brownsville Hanna at McAllen Memorial, Anton at Jayton, Argyle at Stephenville, Cedar Park at Austin Vandergrift, Mission at Mission Veterans Memorial, Amarillo Tascosa at Abilene and Kerrville Tivy at Dripping Springs.

Not sure how to express this thought. Maybe the best way to state is there was a day back in 1998 that¬†Lufkin Panther fans started getting excited about Lufkin football again, that John Outlaw was building something here and he was doing something great.. He built a winning¬†expectation into the football program that Lufkin had not experienced consistently¬†since the days of Abe Martin.¬†¬†He built it and then it was over. Outlaw himself stated "all good things must come to an end". Not sure he meant that to be permanent though. There was high pressure to coach at Lufkin, use to be considered a high caliber coaching position in Texas.¬†We fans should have high expectations every year. We know the talent we have in Lufkin and expect to compete every single season.ÔĽŅ

We should be a program and fan base that absolutely hate to lose games.

My take is Lufkin needs all that back again. It is obvious for any home that apathy exist. The fact that the home side is rarely full for any game the past three years is all you need to know and less than 1/2 full after halftime. Even our on fans on the visitor side do not fill there side of the field.

We simply, should never¬†want¬†to lose a game, especially at Home. To accept losing games¬†should never be a part of¬†our Panther Nation cÔĽŅultureÔĽŅ.ÔĽŅ